Writing woes and editing struggles

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I shall explain my woes as a Greenpost-style post because I feel it works the best for this.

>Be me
>200+ pages edited for volume 2
>About to finish editing the final stretch(20-60? pages)
>Stuck on scene where MC calls out another character for hurting a friend
>No clue how to make the emotions dance like a sonnet of pain and lament
>Read through the final stretch... Still stuck
>I am stuck and have been for two weeks
>Considered rewriting all of it but the scene would be great if it wasn't for the lack of grammar and emotional descriptions
>Personal deadline that I want to get it to an editor is May 20th
>Any ideas?

Last edited:

J_Chemist

Keep the OG. Open a new Doc. Rewrite the entire chapter/section, as far back as you need to go to write a new angle/spin.

I did it with a fight scene. Took four tries to get the proper emotions and feel that I wanted. Recommend waiting a day in between writing and distract yourself entirely to take your brain off it so you reset prior.

Edit: To add, keep each version you make. If you like bits and pieces from each but in isolation they don't meet your requirements, you can merge them together.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
Keep the OG. Open a new Doc. Rewrite the entire chapter/section, as far back as you need to go to write a new angle/spin.

I did it with a fight scene. Took four tries to get the proper emotions and feel that I wanted. Recommend waiting a day in between writing and distract yourself entirely to take your brain off it so you reset prior.

Edit: To add, keep each version you make. If you like bits and pieces from each but in isolation they don't meet your requirements, you can merge them together.
This.
Don't be me and start trying to edit the actual story and really screw it up.

Try multiple versions and keep the best parts that fit your goal for the scene.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author

This.
Don't be me and start trying to edit the actual story and really screw it up.

Try multiple versions and keep the best parts that fit your goal for the scene.
Thank you. I do keep backups of all old versions so that isn't an issue. I'll try making different versions and see if that helps.

H0LL0W

This always works for me, every time.
Also, if you like using Word, try using the review mode.

melchi

What is a custom title?

This. ☝️

J_Chemist

You were saying?