You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? (Author Rant)

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I dread the time I'm drunk enough to post my story only to hear some random people go "Why didn't your pacifist MC who doesn't like crowds murder the antagonist and NTR his harem of over 100 waifus?! :mad_s: "

or like "Why doesn't this mentally scarred character just grow balls and go badass? I totally know that this would make a way better story because I, random reader #123 does want it to happen because it makes no sense!"

And I totally know this will happen. So just answer with "I appreciate your input and ideas and if my writing really isn't up to your standards you are free to write a fanfiction on it" or some other polite form of btfo.

I totally will do that.

Unregistered

"Why didn't your pacifist MC who doesn't like crowds murder the antagonist and NTR his harem of over 100 waifus?! :mad_s: "
Turns out the person not only deleted their comment but also apologized. Now, I won't say he hasn't likely dropped my novel but to know he took back his comment does make feel like there are those who aren't truly hate-filled.

What I read from you, though, now that made me laugh.

The only reasons I can think of is a) the MC constantly just makes absolutely stupid desicions, that can be annoying and b) this is actually a problem quite a couple of writers have (not saying you do) but when a character makes a desicion which is not in line with their earlier established way of thinking. a rather extreme example would be a villain protag that kills everyone he sees and that hates everyone just randomly sparing an enemy because plot needs to happen.

MansonFD7

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

People Who Question Author's Main Characters

I'm confident enough to say none of you here have read my novel, which is good. I wouldn't want you to. I prefer authors, writers, artists, etc. to post about their work, ideas and suggestions so I can either discover their novels or help my inspiration.

Back to my rant! What is with a reader actually questioning a character's decisions made in the story? After more than fifty chapters in, you'd think people would accept the author's main character by now. Nope... It's, "Why is the MC doing that. I think that's s#%@ reason." What the heck, unknown-reader-who-stalks-my-book-online? I literally made the connection several chapters ago. And why the heck is that same person caught up to the novel and actually posting comments like this?! Does he love the novel? Does he hate it? I can't tell. He reads like every chapter and comments on almost all of them! What is sorcery is this?!

Anyways... If you read up to this part of my post, congratulations. I really appreciate your willingness in reading about an author rant on his non-existing issues. No, truly. I literally had to write this just to calm myself. And I personally don't mind people reading my work, but it becomes strange seeing their irrelevant opinions. My solution? Easy:

If I may ask, do you also still have a problem with the grammatical problem with your book that keeps haunting you? I mean, every time you're enjoying on writing your book and publishing it, there will be harsh critics that will point out the grammatical problems in each chapter of your book.

Do you take it into consideration or just ignore it?

Unregistered

Just imagine the authors with tens of hundreds of readers but not a single comment on their books, kind of embarrassing. :ROFLMAO:
I noticed a lot of these sites run like that. The statistics claim that people are reading, and some even plan to read. Much like YouTube videos, someone could generate millions of views on one video but only average a few thousand to ten thousand comments. Not calling bull on it after a certain experience I had, but it does seem there's an internet pattern going on here :whistle::coffee:
If I may ask, do you also still have a problem with the grammatical problem with your book that keeps haunting you? I mean, every time you're enjoying on writing your book and publishing it, there will be harsh critics that will point out the grammatical problems in each chapter of your book.

Do you take it into consideration or just ignore it?

It's the first time someone asked me this type of question on the forums. I feel like you deserve a special answer, so I went ahead and made a whole post dedicated to you!

It's fine if you don't want to take the time to read it, so I'll give a quick, summary answer here, too. And that's: Being corrected is good thing! (y)

Last edited:
As long you don't write "...want feedback..." or over promise about the story, then you're safe from me.

Those are the only thing that would make my mouth open.