Do Grammar Problems Haunt You?

Unregistered

It's not every day I get asked a question regarding literature. This being my first, I couldn't help but make it feel special!

If I may ask, do you also still have a problem with the grammatical problem with your book that keeps haunting you? I mean, every time you're enjoying on writing your book and publishing it, there will be harsh critics that will point out the grammatical problems in each chapter of your book. Do you take it into consideration or just ignore it?​

Having excelled in the literal craft to understand what makes sense and what doesn't (thanks be to God), I absolutely don't ignore it.​

Someone recently tried pointing out a grammatical error in one of my chapters, but it didn't seem plausible. I re-read the sentence more than once and decided to make his correction anyway, while pointing out what else could have worked. Being corrected is a great thing. It allows us, as authors, to perfect our work and make it as flawless as it can be.

To end my testimony, I've honestly only proofread my chapters once! I know, you can throw the tomatoes later. But that being said, it was only done once because it's our own personal novel being distributed freely. I'm sure I speak for most when I say that we're all solo writers and don't get paid (not counting donations) for our work here. However! After acquiring those certain readers that genuinely take the time to read every word, nook and cranny our book contains, it became apparent that I, as the sole dedicated author, should at least do a little more to keep those readers entertained. That's why I no longer just proofread but also professionally get a chapter grammatically checked.

If I were you, MansonFD7 (yes I typed the whole username there), I'd take joy in being corrected. It'll not only help you write better chapters but also aid in your learning. If the correction is so harsh to the point it becomes negative, it's not a correction; it's someone either trolling, doesn't understand, is hate-filled or trying to make you feel bad. Or all of the above. It's best to push that reader to the side.

Now, I'm not into sci-fi novels, but that doesn't mean I won't give Scorching Black Vulture a try.

P.S. Don't start reading my novel for grammatic errors. I've only recently started professionally correct it... Excuses aside, there's a lot of things to do in the day as opposed to storyboarding, writing, researching, and then correcting!

LAJistics

Is it gay, if it's with a futa?
I worry about it. In my stories I have never once used anything but full stops and commas. Sometimes I'll have the odd misspell, but it's the punctuation that irks me.

TheSpiritInMe

Well done my friend. As a none native English speaker, it's even harder to detect those. I believe time makes perfect, so I try to get better everyday in this field as well as I don't have yet the resources to put other peoples time on it. Good luck with your novel, will check it out! (Also to learn and improve my grammar :s_wink:)

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
You proofread your chapters?! I just write and don't look at it again, just glance while writing to make sure my hands are still over the right keys.

But yeah, I struggle with proper semicolon usage, and often have issues with properly using commas to end dialog properly. Luckily, I found someone who likes my story enough to edit it for free, and they help with the few errors I make.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Absolutely! I have never cringed so hard as reading my 1st draft of my story. I released it and it was shit. Part of me wishes I never had but another part of me was happy that I did. I wouldn't have grown otherwise.

LilRora

Mostly formless
I make quite few grammatical errors now, but genereally it's good if someone corrects me. When I edit my chapters, I pick out most errors and quickly correct them, and I mostly forget them before tomorrow.

My old stories though are absolutely disgusting in terms of their grammar, to the point I sometimes don't get what I was trying to write as I reread them. They don't haunt me though, it's more like I look fondly what I was doing before and what I'm doing now.

My attitude is to improve as I write, not learn things just to write better, so the improvement is the means to an end, not the end goal. Works great for me.

Unregistered

I found someone who likes my story enough to edit it for free, and they help with the few errors I make.
Wow... Aren't you fortunate. Most authors have to do their own edits. If they're a professional writer, they usually have a team :whistle::coffee:

judojimmy

I don't mind pointing out any errors I might find but as long as I can understand what is going on I don't care that much. The whole point of language is to communicate not be grammatically correct. It is just another excuse to look down on others.

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
yes of cuorse i do, what do you think I am a hethen?

BrianMcGoldrick

It's not every day I get asked a question regarding literature. This being my first, I couldn't help but make it feel special!

Having excelled in the literal craft to understand what makes sense and what doesn't (thanks be to God), I absolutely don't ignore it.​

Someone recently tried pointing out a grammatical error in one of my chapters, but it didn't seem plausible. I re-read the sentence more than once and decided to make his correction anyway, while pointing out what else could have worked. Being corrected is a great thing. It allows us, as authors, to perfect our work and make it as flawless as it can be.

To end my testimony, I've honestly only proofread my chapters once! I know, you can throw the tomatoes later. But that being said, it was only done once because it's our own personal novel being distributed freely. I'm sure I speak for most when I say that we're all solo writers and don't get paid (not counting donations) for our work here. However! After acquiring those certain readers that genuinely take the time to read every word, nook and cranny our book contains, it became apparent that I, as the sole dedicated author, should at least do a little more to keep those readers entertained. That's why I no longer just proofread but also professionally get a chapter grammatically checked.

If I were you, MansonFD7 (yes I typed the whole username there), I'd take joy in being corrected. It'll not only help you write better chapters but also aid in your learning. If the correction is so harsh to the point it becomes negative, it's not a correction; it's someone either trolling, doesn't understand, is hate-filled or trying to make you feel bad. Or all of the above. It's best to push that reader to the side.

Now, I'm not into sci-fi novels, but that doesn't mean I won't give Scorching Black Vulture a try.

P.S. Don't start reading my novel for grammatic errors. I've only recently started professionally correct it... Excuses aside, there's a lot of things to do in the day as opposed to storyboarding, writing, researching, and then correcting!
Be very careful about taking the advice of people trying to correct your grammar.

More times than I can count, I have seen people attacking writers saying "This is wrong!". More often than not, while the writers grammar may not be exactly right, the people attacking are dead-ass wrong.

With the rise of the internet, the English grammar of too many people has plummeted to the level of Ebonics. The place I see it the most is in verb conjugation to imaginary words and the use or nouns used as verbs, adverbs, or adjectives; verbs used as nouns adjectives, or adverbs; etc. People see others constantly misusing words or using imaginary words, and after a while, they just assume that misuse of words is completely right.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
Wow... Aren't you fortunate. Most authors have to do their own edits. If they're a professional writer, they usually have a team :whistle::coffee:
Yep, got really lucky. Started writing due to reading a really well done story and talking with the author on their discord, then shared my story there, and one of their editors liked it enough to start editing it for free. Granted, it helps that my story is a nice break from the other stuff they work on, and doesn't need much editing comparatively, as I am going with less advanced language so that more people can enjoy it without looking up words. Not that I'm even a fraction popular enough for that to matter.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
All the time. Both when I write and when I read other stories. I can handle a few errors like misspelled words, but if the sentence looks like it was written by a seven year old, I'm dropping that immediately.

That being said, it's not like I'm actually a grammar geek myself. I make mistakes just like anyone else.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Pro tip: use a text-to-speech (tts) program to read your final draft. Our eyes often trick us into seeing what we expect to see rather than what is actually there, and tts can help us pick up what we missed.

LilRora

Mostly formless
:blob_sir: but not in a sexual way, right?
Right?
5bgun8.jpg

J_Chemist

When I started writing on RP forums and the like, grammar was always last on the list of things to check, but it was important for making sense of the garbled mess that I was pushing out. I got better with time but no one ever corrected me really. We were writing for fun.

Once I started writing and posting a story, however, I learned the importance of it. My initial chapters were rough. Really rough. My initial story concept chapters are like nightmares in my hard drive that I fear ever opening and looking at again. Even my current novel brings me great pain at times.

A few readers are happy to help and point out errors that I miss, and I do take time to verify, but I do my best to reread everything at least three times before I publish. I also make sure to go back every ten to fifteen chapters to give the batch another look-over.

Readability is important. If you have a great story but no one can read it because it makes them want to vomit, then taking time to bring up writing proficiency is a necessary step.