You were isekai’ed, into a modern world. In this world some people have powers (I.E. X-men). You were given the ability to transmute objects. What do?

DeathLight

As for me I just take it easy use this ability for whatever strikes my fancy like making gas for the car and maybe pickup a few expensive hobbies such as making art with gems.

rain-090

Become immortal age wise

Remove inefficient properties of the body

Make myself heal faster

For this I will study some biology, or look it up on Google

Next, I will make gold and sell it on the black market then reign as a living god

Hexmonkey2020

For the new elements , you can try and might succeed, but if it can’t exist it won’t. I.E. turn this uranium into a element that spawns new universes. Without specifying how, it probably won’t work.

Creating something with no side effects might be possible if you know how you will do it. I.E. this gram of uranium will no longer give off radiation, to do this I will make it so that the nucleus of the element is stable, so that the element will no longer decay.
If you try something like: I will turn this lead into a substance that will double my strength, with no side effects that will harm me. Result: A lead lozenge that increases your strength after ingestion. You ingest it and a couple days later you suffer lead poisoning. The reason being you did not define what constitutes harm and how you would prevent the harm.

For the rest of your questions the answer is yes, if you know how to.
I feel this power doesn’t make sense, you said it’s transmutation but it’s not because you said it remains the same with an added effect so your just adding effects, and since you need to understand how the effect would work how would you make lead that makes you stronger, and if you do understand how to make lead that makes you stronger and specify it can’t harm you why would you still be effected by lead poisoning, lead poisoning is pretty obviously harm, do you have to specify every possible harm, what if for some reason if just exploded because you didn’t specify that.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
I feel this power doesn’t make sense, you said it’s transmutation but it’s not because you said it remains the same with an added effect so your just adding effects, and since you need to understand how the effect would work how would you make lead that makes you stronger, and if you do understand how to make lead that makes you stronger and specify it can’t harm you why would you still be effected by lead poisoning, lead poisoning is pretty obviously harm, do you have to specify every possible harm, what if for some reason if just exploded because you didn’t specify that.
I admit that was a bad example, but to transmute you need to one know the properties of your original material, and two the properties of your desired material. The reason being that you need to specify the change. If you had a piece of lead and wanted it to become gold, the more you specify how the lead would become gold, the better the transmutation will be.
In this example I did not explain how the lead would strengthen the one who consumed it, and thusly, if I didn’t break it, somewhat went against the example I was showing.
A more accurate result would be: You created a lozenge made of lead. When you consumed it nothing happened, until a few days later when you suffered lead poisoning.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
It’s more akin to a more overpowered supper power compared to Wolverine. More akin to the powers of the Scarlet Witch, or Jean Grey. And yes, as long as you know what you are doing you can transmute it. If you know the how vibranium works, how all the elements alloy together, it’s physical properties, and how you would make the change from hemp to vibranium. Then you could do so.
Bet, sounds cool... but does the scarlet witch fundamentally understand the fabric of reality when she manipulates it?
The superpower you came up with is amazing and lends itself to create cool stories, but there are too many unnecessary restrictions when presented as a superpower. As a spell within a magic system, it would make sense to be limited to once a day for example. Why 10 kilos? Can Wolverine only heal once a day? Can the scarlet witch excersice her powers once a day or move a specific weight? Her power is more intricate than material tranmutation.
If you would add the subjective restriction that only materials a person has touched can be tranmuted into, it would become interesting, and the story would then include adventures that put the protagonist and/or his group of companions in trouble, because maybe he's going to rob a bank where a smol piece of adamantium is being kept.
This "hermit" (that doesn't need outside interaction) you propose that only works with obtuse knowledge is not that fun to imagine, because the most basic requirement to make the best out of it is to be a highly educated individual in physics to the point of being a slave to knowledge, honestly.
Can a sporty guy, with no solid understanding of materials outside of their basic purpose, use this power in full within the week?
Can a journalist? A housewife? A business entrepeneur? The character your superpower would accompany would be extremenly limited.
I can't write about an anarchist punk school-dropout that uses this power as an anti-hero in his rocky quest to abolish capitalism...

ElijahRyne

I will become a cucumber
A truly auspicious goal
Bet, sounds cool... but does the scarlet witch fundamentally understand the fabric of reality when she manipulates it?
The superpower you came up with is amazing and lends itself to create cool stories, but there are too many unnecessary restrictions when presented as a superpower. As a spell within a magic system, it would make sense to be limited to once a day for example. Why 10 kilos? Can Wolverine only heal once a day? Can the scarlet witch excersice her powers once a day or move a specific weight? Her power is more intricate than material tranmutation.
If you would add the subjective restriction that only materials a person has touched can be tranmuted into, it would become interesting, and the story would then include adventures that put the protagonist and/or his group of companions in trouble, because maybe he's going to rob a bank where a smol piece of adamantium is being kept.
This "hermit" (that doesn't need outside interaction) you propose that only works with obtuse knowledge is not that fun to imagine, because the most basic requirement to make the best out of it is to be a highly educated individual in physics to the point of being a slave to knowledge, honestly.
Can a sporty guy, with no solid understanding of materials outside of their basic purpose, use this power in full within the week?
Can a journalist? A housewife? A business entrepeneur? The character your superpower would accompany would be extremenly limited.
I can't write about an anarchist punk school-dropout that uses this power as an anti-hero in his rocky quest to abolish capitalism...
There are a couple of mutant powers with restrictions. Mystique needs to know how her target sounds and looks, Rouge needs to touch the person she wishes to steal from, and Gambit requires time to charge any object he wishes to accelerate.
The ten kilogram limit is because of a somewhat popular idea of how our universe came to be. In it, it is possible to create a new universe with about 10kg of matter. I believe that was a good enough reason to limit the amount of matter they were able to transmute.

Last edited:
So if I could, I would just use it to turn the heads of people I don't like into a potato/gold or something. The human head weighs about 5kgs. so it would be half the limit.

Echimera

Blood is about 10% of the human bodies' weight so it would take up a lot of the weight limit. You could just turn a portion of their blood into mercury. That would be a clean option to silence an annoying enemy.
While there are a lot of things that are lethal in small doses and can act really fast (looking at you, Australia), the simplest thing would probably turning a really small portion of blood into air for a stroke on demand without any visible signs.

ElijahRyne

While there are a lot of things that are lethal in small doses and can act really fast (looking at you, Australia), the simplest thing would probably turning a really small portion of blood into air for a stroke on demand without any visible signs.
Boil their blood!

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
I love how this thread turned into how to kill a person with transmutation in the most efficient way.
I have an OC who uses bullshit transmutation as his main ability, so these tips are welcome lmao.

Anyway, just replace part of their spinal cord with air. Since air is most likely less dense than the tissues of a spinal cord, it'd maybe cause a hole to blow open into their neck/spine? This is straying from efficiency, but would be cool? Actually I'm not sure if it would do that, but it'd at least make an air pocket bigger than the material removed, which would fuck a lot of things up, not to mention their body will be paralyzed from the neck down, and they'd be dead at that point.
Also yeah, turning some of their blood into air would just blow a hole into their veins, which will kill them eventually sure but idk if it will do as you think. Though if you do it to some blood in their brain itself...

Echimera

I love how this thread turned into how to kill a person with transmutation in the most efficient way.
I have an OC who uses bullshit transmutation as his main ability, so these tips are welcome lmao.

Anyway, just replace part of their spinal cord with air. Since air is most likely less dense than the tissues of a spinal cord, it'd maybe cause a hole to blow open into their neck/spine? This is straying from efficiency, but would be cool? Actually I'm not sure if it would do that, but it'd at least make an air pocket bigger than the material removed, which would fuck a lot of things up, not to mention their body will be paralyzed from the neck down, and they'd be dead at that point.
Also yeah, turning some of their blood into air would just blow a hole into their veins, which will kill them eventually sure but idk if it will do as you think. Though if you do it to some blood in their brain itself...
I doubt you'd get a dory explosion from small scale transmutations in the body, especially if it's transmutations of solids or liquids into gasses, since gasses have a very big range of density, if you will, and most of the tissue will be flexible enough to compensate.
When targeting the spine, dislocating a vertebra might be possible with a big enough target volume though, but that would most likely be secondary damage to the nerves already severed by transmutation.
Blood -> Air has the advantage that it can be reduced to Water -> Nitrogen, two of the most basic molecules (H2O and N2), plus it ultimately doesn't matter which exact molecules are transmuted, which I suspect might actually make it feasible in combat with very little prep-time.
I suspect one of the biggest issues for combat would be targeting, even with some form of matter sense that would be required for this super power. The most obvious target would be the heart directly, with an almost instantaneous effect, but the veins could be feasible even with a really short time of contact.

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
I doubt you'd get a dory explosion from small scale transmutations in the body, especially if it's transmutations of solids or liquids into gasses, since gasses have a very big range of density, if you will, and most of the tissue will be flexible enough to compensate.
When targeting the spine, dislocating a vertebra might be possible with a big enough target volume though, but that would most likely be secondary damage to the nerves already severed by transmutation.
Blood -> Air has the advantage that it can be reduced to Water -> Nitrogen, two of the most basic molecules (H2O and N2), plus it ultimately doesn't matter which exact molecules are transmuted, which I suspect might actually make it feasible in combat with very little prep-time.
I suspect one of the biggest issues for combat would be targeting, even with some form of matter sense that would be required for this super power. The most obvious target would be the heart directly, with an almost instantaneous effect, but the veins could be feasible even with a really short time of contact.
Yeah I realized as i was writing it that it probably wouldn't really do what i was thinking, but was too lazy to delete it all lol.

D

Deleted member 45782

Turn trash into cash. Spread it everywhere. Problem solved. No matter litter in the Pacific and landfills. No more poverty (sorta).

And run away from the govt bc they want to use your powers for weapons.
Okay, that and maybe because they're also pissed at you for printing their money.

ElijahRyne

If you want a slow death transmute the mucus into salt water, or alchol.