Your opinion on round brackets(parenthesis) in original stories?

SailusGebel

I understand that you can use round brackets in translation to make a note or explain something. But I really don't like it when authors use round brackets in original stories. I think you can and should include everything in the text as is. Either expand the piece that was inside of brackets or get rid of it. I understand that it is just another punctuation mark, but I can't stand it. I can't stop myself from thinking that round brackets = lazy writing. What do you all think about it?

J_Chemist

I agree. I believe it's rather lazy, but with all forms of grammar it applies a form of emphasis. So I do think there is a way to use it but they're largely able to be avoided with more creativity.

Especially if you're trying to make a joke in a comedy book of some kind. Fantasy or something more serious? No.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I agree. I believe it's rather lazy, but with all forms of grammar it applies a form of emphasis. So I do think there is a way to use it but they're largely able to be avoided with more creativity.

Especially if you're trying to make a joke in a comedy book of some kind. Fantasy or something more serious? No.
The only other thing I can think of is possibly the LitRPG genre for skills or something. I don't read many, but I know they use all sorts of different brackets.

SailusGebel

I forgot to mention. I'm okay with using parenthesis when you write stuff for LitRPG as Envy pointed out. Like when the game or system window pops out and you use round brackets there. Or when you describe text messages. Something along this lines. But I don't like it when people use parenthesis or brackets when they describe, for example, appearance or personality.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I forgot to mention. I'm okay with using parenthesis when you write stuff for LitRPG as Envy pointed out. Like when the game or system window pops out and you use round brackets there. Or when you describe text messages. Something along this lines. But I don't like it when people use parenthesis or brackets when they describe, for example, appearance or personality.
I would agree that is very lazy. Instead, you can use other methods to reinforce the idea. Like a small amount of repetition throughout the novel that reinforces, and doesn't become repetitive.

Like saying someone (has a fiery personality). Instead of doing that in parenthesis, you can reinforce the idea by their actions, or simply repeat it later on in a different way would even be better.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I have used it once in an original work, mainly to explain that the modern day peace symbol(two fingers held in a V shape) was the British equivalent of the middle finger in the 1800s

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I have used it once in an original work, mainly to explain that the modern day peace symbol(two fingers held in a V shape) was the British equivalent of the middle finger in the 1800s
I don't mind this usage, but I would argue it's also unnecessary. Writing like this feels more like essay writing than creative writing. You can achieve it with commas.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I don't mind this usage, but I would argue it's also unnecessary. Writing like this feels more like essay writing than creative writing. You can achieve it with commas.
Perhaps, but I still feel like there are situations where () is better than using a comma. It's rare but can happen. If you only use it on rare occasions I feel like you can get away with it from a creative writing perspective without it seeming like essay writing.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Perhaps, but I still feel like there are situations where () is better than using a comma. It's rare but can happen. If you only use it on rare occasions I feel like you can get away with it from a creative writing perspective without it seeming like essay writing.
That's a good point, and part of creative writing is using whatever tool to make your particular writing stand out. If it's only once in an entire book. It could be particularly memorable.

SailusGebel

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I understand that you can use round brackets in translation to make a note or explain something. But I really don't like it when authors use round brackets in original stories. I think you can and should include everything in the text as is. Either expand the piece that was inside of brackets or get rid of it. I understand that it is just another punctuation mark, but I can't stand it. I can't stop myself from thinking that round brackets = lazy writing. What do you all think about it?
hm yeah if they use it how translators do, as if quickly adding a bit of related lore, then yes. But i mainly just use them for comedy shit. Like if the character is bullshitting.
The little girl exploded with righteous(? ) fury. "Lies, deception!" She exclaimed. "I'd never do such a thing!" Came the heavy assertion. But the hammer fell out of her nightgown, hitting the floorboards with a loud thud.

I find it funny when used like that. Because everyone and their mother knows you're a lying sack of shit, but you still try and pull the wool anyway. And if it actually succeeds just because the other party cant be assed to argue? Even better.

J_Chemist

hm yeah if they use it how translators do, as if quickly adding a bit of related lore, then yes. But i mainly just use them for comedy shit. Like if the character is bullshitting.
The little girl exploded with righteous(? ) fury. "Lies, deception!" She exclaimed. "I'd never do such a thing!" Came the heavy assertion. But the hammer fell out of her nightgown, hitting the floorboards with a loud thud.

I find it funny when used like that. Because everyone and their mother knows you're a lying sack of shit, but you still try and pull the wool anyway. And if it actually succeeds just because the other party cant be assed to argue? Even better.
The best part of your use of a question mark there makes it seem like you, as the author, are also calling bullshit.