Your response to injustice

Between retribution and compensation which will you choose?

• Total voters

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
Considering this scenario.
The MC has been wronged the entire novel. At the end of the novel, she is allowed one wish.

Either she chooses to condemn her abusers but wouldn’t be compensated for her suffering
Or she can get compensated but the wrong-doers are not punished.

For a specific example:
The female lead was abused her entire life.

She can choose to make her abusers suffer but she would live on carrying the mental scars to the rest of her life. Being anxious about the dark, the humid, the tight space as she was locked up there. Being lonely and unable to trust anyone anymore.

Or She can either choose to end her misery and not be harmed anymore. Her abuser would not be punished in anyway except by their conscience.

Which one will you want her to choose?

Edit:
Whatever way she chooses, the abusers are no longer bullying her. This is just a wish at the aftermath when the damage is already done.

Yes, I understand you guys’ sentiment. However, my question involves the life of that girl. Would you suggest she takes her vengeance for your sense of justice and leave her scarred? Or would you ask her to be happy instead?

I admit this question is not 100% clear. It’s in the spirit of something like.

The girl is poisoned with a vile toxin that would put her in perpetual pain for as long as she lives.

Should you advise her to choose the option to have her condition cured?
Or should you tell her to choose to wish the unknown person who poisoned her to share her fate?

This is what I mean by retribution or compensation.

Edit 2: my attempt to generalise the scenario appeared to have caused confusion instead. Well, I agree the answer would be on a case-by-case basis. Still, it does provide me a great deal of thought as people broke down my question and offered their view on each part.

Do go on. :3

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

I'd go with compensation, just because apart from possible short-term gratification, she won't be happy and unless it's literally everyone the abusers will end up suffering in some form or another

hijauKuning

I have a question, are these consequences (living in a mental prison/the abusers not punished) supposed to be the result of having to pay the price by the wish granter?

DiscoDream

Severe autist
Retribution, if they're allowed to go free, they'll target her again, or someone else will do so. If she's a repeat victim, it's not a question of if it will happen again, but when. Through retribution she can find a new way of dealing with her problems.

I'd personally advocate for unlisted option C, giving her the ability to not be a victim anymore. She grew up beinbg abused constantly, it's to be expected that she doesn't know how to take care of herself and even with option A, it's highly likely she'll just find a new abuser. (Not really enough info to give specifics)

D

Deleted member 54065

I tried to take the "Let Fate avenge me" route. In the end, I lost everything.

However, I'm also not an advocate of revenge.

So my solution? Not care at all.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Choosing to enact retribution is better. The abusers get punished, and the girl gets compensated! In the form of mental satisfaction, that is. It's a win-win :blobtaco:

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Considering this scenario.
The MC has been wronged the entire novel. At the end of the novel, she is allowed one wish.

Either she chooses to condemn her abusers but wouldn’t be compensated for her suffering
Or she can get compensated but the wrong-doers are not punished.

For a specific example:
The female lead was abused her entire life.

She can choose to make her abusers suffer but she would live on carrying the mental scars to the rest of her life. Being anxious about the dark, the humid, the tight space as she was locked up there. Being lonely and unable to trust anyone anymore.

Or She can either choose to end her misery and not be harmed anymore. Her abuser would not be punished in anyway except by their conscience.

Which one will you want her to choose?

You will probably have to clarify a bit more on that, what do you mean by abusers not being punished and compensated? Are we talking about going to a different world like heaven where they would never be able to interact again?

The 2 things that are important to note is:
1) Will they be able to harm her afterwards
2) Will she be able to harm them afterwards

I mean end of the day, revenge that isn't served personally isn't really revenge right? It is simply karma. A wish granting revenge is simply too stale.

Best option is to take the compensation, then get revenge on everyone in the dark.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
One choice isn't any better than the other, but since people are inherently attracted to the sense of justice, readers may enjoy revenge more than someone else being compensated. As social animals, it's instinctual to get rid of untrustworthy agents. So even if your character is happy, the reader will be left with the world vision that evil remain unpunished and still lurks, which may be a discomforting reality. However it might be different if you humanize the wrongdoers who may reform and seek forgiveness.

I think for instance of Monte Cristo whose wealth gets so high that he could choose to get a new happy life, yet he decide to go through vengeance, reaffirmed by the complete lack of regret from the culprits. Life is unfair, and remain so if nobody acts

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
From a story perspective retribution is the only thing that makes sense. Compensation sounds like a cheap hollywood end: "You suffered all your live by our hands but here's a cookie and some money so we absolved ourself, right?"

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
I have a question, are these consequences (living in a mental prison/the abusers not punished) supposed to be the result of having to pay the price by the wish granter?

No. These are not consequence of making the wish. If I can make another example, it would be like this.

A girl has a limited-edition ice cream that is only in the world and absolutely delicious.

For absolutely no reason, the nearby fucker intentionally pushed her hand, and the ice cream fell onto the ground.

Now she has one wish.

Would you advise her to wish for the ice cream back?

Or would you rather her wish the fucker have the worst diarrhea for a week?

One wish will leave the abuser unpunished. The other will punish the abuser but she wouldn’t be able to eat the delicious ice cream.

It’s important to note. This is not concerning you. This is concerning a girl you saw. Would you want her to satisfy with the momentary catharsis of vengeance or would you rather she be compensated properly?

Retribution, if they're allowed to go free, they'll target her again, or someone else will do so. If she's a repeat victim, it's not a question of if it will happen again, but when. Through retribution she can find a new way of dealing with her problems.

I'd personally advocate for unlisted option C, giving her the ability to not be a victim anymore. She grew up beinbg abused constantly, it's to be expected that she doesn't know how to take care of herself and even with option A, it's highly likely she'll just find a new abuser. (Not really enough info to give specifics)

Whatever way she chooses, the abusers are no longer bullying her. This is just a wish at the aftermath when the damage is already done.

Choosing to enact retribution is better. The abusers get punished, and the girl gets compensated! In the form of mental satisfaction, that is. It's a win-win :blobtaco:

I see. If it was me, I would ask her to have proper compensation.

I am in favor of fucking the abusers up.

It is not about getting closure in one's life, it is to make sure the abusers will never get another chance to abuse again.

From a story perspective retribution is the only thing that makes sense. Compensation sounds like a cheap hollywood end: "You suffered all your live by our hands but here's a cookie and some money so we absolved ourself, right?"

When it involves seeking retribution, I am a spiteful person who is willing to do harm to myself in order to harm the wrongdoers. My self-destructive tendencies aside, I'm actually a genuinely lovely guy.

Yes, I understand you guys’ sentiment. However, my question involves the life of that girl. Would you suggest she takes her vengeance for your sense of justice and leave her scarred? Or would you ask her to be happy instead?

You will probably have to clarify a bit more on that, what do you mean by abusers not being punished and compensated? Are we talking about going to a different world like heaven where they would never be able to interact again?

The 2 things that are important to note is:
1) Will they be able to harm her afterwards
2) Will she be able to harm them afterwards

I mean end of the day, revenge that isn't served personally isn't really revenge right? It is simply karma. A wish granting revenge is simply too stale.

Best option is to take the compensation, then get revenge on everyone in the dark.

The girl is poisoned with a vile toxin that would put her in perpetual pain for as long as she lives.

Or should you tell her to choose to wish the unknown person who poisoned her to share her fate?

Last edited:

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
Why not both? Take the wrong doers out and give compensation to the victims!!!! All glory be to the great @AliceShiki !!! May the blonde reign for years to come!

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

If it is in form of a wish, you can simply ask for it to be transferred. Thus achieving both.

But if one had to choose one or the other, obviously curing the toxins. I mean living in constant pain sucks.

Though I wouldn't call a cure as a compensation for the pain...

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I'll be honest with you. I had placed myself in her shoes while I was typing out my alpha af post and I have to say, Imma taking the wimp path.

I would like to see myself as the gungho CN Xianxia MC who would rather fuck shit up for everyone by pulling the whole "death before dishonour". But no, I am a coward ass wimp and I'd probably seek comfort instead.

Is it shit to want to be coaxed while the villains get away scotfree? Yeah. So a big part of me want to have that jade smashing moment where no one gets to be happy.

But I am a loser. I'd rather be happy myself and heck care the bullies, which in turn they also don't really care about me and live happily with their lives... until they decide that my happiness is making them unhappy, to which they come back to torment me once more.

DiscoDream

Severe autist
No. These are not consequence of making the wish. If I can make another example, it would be like this.

A girl has a limited-edition ice cream that is only in the world and absolutely delicious.

For absolutely no reason, the nearby fucker intentionally pushed her hand, and the ice cream fell onto the ground.

Now she has one wish.

Would you advise her to wish for the ice cream back?

Or would you rather her wish the fucker have the worst diarrhea for a week?

One wish will leave the abuser unpunished. The other will punish the abuser but she wouldn’t be able to eat the delicious ice cream.

It’s important to note. This is not concerning you. This is concerning a girl you saw. Would you want her to satisfy with the momentary catharsis of vengeance or would you rather she be compensated properly?

I see. If it was me, I would a

Really needed that in the header. It's not even a choice at this point, she needs the cure. Life cannot go on while in perpetual pain.