Got my first one star rating...

Cossimeri

Purveyor of Yuri Adventures
A lot of times those random 1 stars are people who just hate a particular genre. They’ve never read your work, but they see “Girl‘s Love” and they go “omg fuxx this story and it’s gays”.

If you browse the forums you can actually find people who admit to these practices. It is what it is sadly.

hauntedwritings

Likely that it's a troll then.
I read earlier on the forum that can report it somehow and have that rating removed if you suspect that to be the case. Not sure though.

Razmatazz

Dungeon Cultist
Nothing left to do but to keep writing and to imagine the sour look on their face when they see that they didn't stop you! :blob_hide:

hauntedwritings

I saw that too, but have no idea how I would do that.
I think they said that you can report your own story. As I think you need to write some kind of free text, you can get your message across to the admins that way.
Not sure if there actually is a by-the-book way though, or if such actually exists.

Legi0n

Smallest amount of stars means smallest amount of brain. Still believing there is no point in such low scores without a proper explanation. Have them work their brain at the very least! Have them show they can write in proper english!

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Authors always complain about random 1-stars, but they say nothing about random 5-stars.

:blob_unamused:

The answer is to keep writing, eventually your rating will stabilize after 50 ratings.
You have experience?

Localforeigner

Authors always complain about random 1-stars, but they say nothing about random 5-stars.

:blob_unamused:

The answer is to keep writing, eventually your rating will stabilize after 50 ratings.
That's a fair point, except...I've never heard of people leaving 5* ratings on stories that they don't read or enjoy but I have heard of people who admitted to leaving one stars on the stories of people they don't like or who had a higher ranking than their own stories or just because they saw it had 'X' in it and they decided, 'ewww gross'. So, yeah, I am not going to take issue with people who do read my work and leave mid to high ratings because at least I know they read it. With 1* ratings, you never know if it's genuine or motivated by other reasons.

TunTun

That's a fair point, except...I've never heard of people leaving 5* ratings on stories that they don't read or enjoy but I have heard of people who admitted to leaving one stars on the stories of people they don't like or who had a higher ranking than their own stories or just because they saw it had 'X' in it and they decided, 'ewww gross'. So, yeah, I am not going to take issue with people who do read my work and leave mid to high ratings because at least I know they read it. With 1* ratings, you never know if it's genuine or motivated by other reasons.
Well, if you know/think/suspect you are getting trolled. I would recommend to wait until you have at least five 1-stars to report it, that way you don't have to write a report every time you get a 1-star.

Now, unless your work is on recently added, trending or smut... There is a good chance that you aren't being specifically targeted. So odds are that this person went on to give a bunch of other random 1-stars to other works [Assuming he is a troll]. If that person gets caught trolling, all the 1-stars he gave get removed [From what I've observed]. Something like this happened a month or two ago, a few 1-stars just suddenly disappeared from works tagged with "Smut"

[Quick edit] Btw, you might be interested in this proposal: Require reviews when rating | Scribble Hub Forum

Sylvie

Those days are gone, now the memory's on the wall
1 star ratings are pretty cruel but don't let them stop you. Once you get enough ratings it probably won't make a difference. Don't give up because one random stranger didn't see eye to eye with your views or writing. You can never please everyone.

Avery_Evans

I think it would be an improvement if you had to review a story to rate it. If I'm not mistaken, that's how it works on the website Royalroad. Making this modification would allow authors to obtain more feedback about their stories and clarify the reasoning behind ratings.

Localforeigner

I think it would be an improvement if you had to review a story to rate it. If I'm not mistaken, that's how it works on the website Royalroad. Making this modification would allow authors to obtain more feedback about their stories and clarify the reasoning behind ratings.
Sadly no, in RR they just have to open a chapter and then can rate it immediately, there is not timer or anything to 'prove' they've read it versus just click on a chap and hit you with a 0.5*

Honestly, I'd rather we did away with ratings entirely.