Got my first one star rating...

RimuThighHighs

When I started posting my novel a few months ago I really struggled with the anonymous one star ratings and negative comments, even now they can still get to me if I'm having a bad day. The way I deal with them is by recognizing that they really don't matter they're an arbitrary system that we collectively affix value too.

A one star to me is as good as a five star because they both mean my story has elicited a reaction from the reader and that is so much better than apathy. Even if the next one hundred ratings I get are all one star and my overall rating tanks I'll still keep posting my story because I want to finish what I started.

I also realize I can't control how someone feels about my work whether they actually dislike or just want to be toxic and troll I can't stop that so I accept that negativity and toxicity towards my work is the price we pay for putting in on display for the public.

So I guess it's all about perspective.

Best of luck with your story, I'd like to read it sometime <3

Reisinling

I got my first 1 star rating today. It took longer than I expected, so welcome to the club? While seeing my rating drop with popularity is certainly not pleasant, seeing most novels at this amount of reads have similar rating makes me feel better I guess. Also I am aware of many weaknesses of my novel, so I can't go around acting too surprised I guess

LinMeili

I just got a 0.5 star in RR. I didn't know there was a rating below one star. *sigh*

Update: The low ratings got balanced out by high ratings now! Phew!

It's just if you don't have a lot of ratings it looks really bad when you get that one low rating.Update: The low ratings got balanced out by high ratings now! Phew!

Last edited:

Jemini

The most low ratings I ever got was the one time I somehow managed to make it to #1 on trending. There are trolls who just plain hate to see someone succeed.

But hey, this is why Toni accepts audit requests.

Nymus

Hmmm, this is not a complain, ya know, somehow a funny thing happened. After several days, my rating has recovered from 3.8 to 4.2 stars. And then suddenly it hailed 1 and 2 star ratings, now I'm back under 4. Honestly, I don't really believe in such coincidences.

Does something like this happen often here on SH?

Valmond

7 5 stars and 1 1 star. No comments or rationale, of course.

Sigh. :blob_pat_sad:
It happens, no need to get bent outta shape about it. Honestly though, they should have a system like Inkitt. Requiring a review in order to vote. At least that system helped me see why they voted the way they did, and it helped me improved as well.

It also prevents others from trolling, or attacking a story. Since if the review is fake, meant for the sole purpose of attacking. It can be reported.

Just know, it can also be lack of preference. You may have hit someone outside your base, this happens as well. Hell, time to time. I get some negative ratings, but it doesn’t matter much. I look at the other stats, and see how far people are making it. Even if they are silent, I know that I am at least retaining attention. So, try not to focus on the negatives, but on your writing.

LostLibrarian

Does something like this happen often here on SH?
Maybe you have been in the upper parts of the trending list? Or you just hit a timezone where your chapter was longer on the front-page than usual. It happens.

The easy answer: don't care for individual ratings (I know, it's hard).
But you already get multiple nice comments in each chapter.
Concentrate on those readers =)

Nymus

Maybe you have been in the upper parts of the trending list? Or you just hit a timezone where your chapter was longer on the front-page than usual. It happens.

The easy answer: don't care for individual ratings (I know, it's hard).
But you already get multiple nice comments in each chapter.
Concentrate on those readers =)
To say I'm worried would be an exaggeration. But I'm honest enough to say I'm sufficiently vain to like a good score.
And quite honestly, some chapters are intentionally - shall we say - controversial. On one or two, I even bet on how many negative ratings I'd get.
... and I lost - cursed!

In this particular case, I'm honestly really curious as to why. And your answer has something interesting. The possible connection between visibility and "fans defending their" own particular story doesn't feel amiss.

Thank you!

MajorKerina

I've speculated there are at least five kinds of feedback you can receive.

Thoughtful and helpful - Calmly considered ideas for improvement you can use.
Rude but helpful - Someone says you're doing everything wrong, don't bother to tell you how to fix it but has a point in some of their suggestions.
Nice but unhelpful - They like it, dunno what they like but make more...
Rude and self-indulgent - They sound smart but are paper-thin in their dumb ideas.
Rude and unhelpful - Slam the 1 star button because "reasons".

Picking out the first two from the last two is challenging, especially if your confidence wavers. All my best.