• 1st person POV

• 2nd person POV

• 3rd person POV

• Omniscient POV

• Objective POV

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 45782

I find it very hard to control the pacing in 1st person POV. It feels rush. I try to add more details and monologue, but it still feels rush.

Writing in 3rd person POV is much easier for me to create that flow.
Its not everyone's cup of tea. Idk bout monologue, unless I'm trying to do a catcher in the rye style. To me, I don't feel like it would be rush. It depends how your thought process are perhaps. I can find better ways to describe and more words for 1st view thoughts since it mirror self thoughts and what situation one feels going through things if they were that character. I might rush 3rd view cause I feel detached to it or end up too wordy trying say "(name) felt or did.." vs "I did...."

But like everything it depends on the writer. Is it their cup of tea and can they write it well? Depends on their style and their preference.

LilTV1155

Omniscient is like looking through the eyes of god. You can go everywhere, see everything, and even go into every character’s head.

Objective is the opposite. You are just a mere camera, or a fly on the wall. You can only observe from the outside. You can’t hear any character’s thoughts. It’s like a movie.
Thank you

1st. Its much more personal, and allows for developing a deeper connection with the reader.

But God isn't it a fucking nightmare to write. If you're trying to write an actual character, and not self inserting as an author, then there is so much shit to keep track of.
There's a ton of details that you wouldn't think would be noticable, but it is.

Jemini

If you go into more details, yeah sure. But all that are just the combination of the two if you look at it carefully.

Actually, you can even combine whatever you want with it. Rules are to be broken after all.

But, I don’t want that specific of an answer.

So, if I cut out those combinations, all I got is what you’ve seen in the poll.

And also, you didn’t even include 1st person in your example. 1st person and 1st person Omniscient aren’t the same thing. At least from what I understand.

*I meant 1st person limited when I said 1st person.*

What I'm saying is that the 2 are inseparable. If you answer 3rd person, do you mean 3rd person objective or omnicient?

What I'm saying is that this poll is insufficient as it is. If we only answer one, then it's missing details.

If you were going to ask the question, either combine the options or leave out the objective/omniscient part of the equation all together. Or, leave out the 1st, 2nd, 3rd POV part.

If you are not going to combine them, then don't have them all on the same poll. It's meaningless if they're not combined.

morhamza

Wait.. 1st and 2nd person have an omniscient viewpoint? How would that work?
You could be writing a story about God, and since God knows everything and your story is in 1st POV, voila, 1st POV omniscient.

BlackKnightX

What I'm saying is that the 2 are inseparable. If you answer 3rd person, do you mean 3rd person objective or omnicient?

What I'm saying is that this poll is insufficient as it is. If we only answer one, then it's missing details.

If you were going to ask the question, either combine the options or leave out the objective/omniscient part of the equation all together. Or, leave out the 1st, 2nd, 3rd POV part.

If you are not going to combine them, then don't have them all on the same poll. It's meaningless if they're not combined.
Alright, let’s me clarify.

1st person POV = 1st person limited (The character is a narrator, and we only get to know their thought.)

2nd person POV = What you mostly find in interactive stories.

3rd person POV = 3rd person limited (The narrator tells the story, and we only get to know the POV’s character’s thought.)

Omniscient POV = The narrator knows everything and can get into every characters’ head.

Objective POV = The narrator is just a mere observer, and cannot get into any character‘s head.

———

I included omniscient and objective because it can stand on its own. So I totally disagree with you saying it’s inseparable.

Actually, the omniscient and objective POVs can even be considered 3rd person POV, as it‘s mostly written that way.

But, like I said, it can stand on its own. 3rd person POV isn’t the same thing as omniscient or objective POVs. (When I say 3rd person POV, I mean 3rd person limited, which is just one of the POVs.)

———

And, if I go by your example, then it will be too complicated. Your example isn’t even completed in the first place.

Let’s see; 1st person omniscient? And 1st person objective? Wait, where the hell is 1st person limited then? Sure enough, you didn’t mix it up with any of those two, right?

———

Now, I hope that makes things clear for you. And also, I don’t see anyone complaining right now, so I don’t think it’s that much of a problem.

Still, thanks for your advice, though. 🙏🏻

Jemini

Omniscient POV = The narrator knows everything and can get into every characters’ head.

Objective POV = The narrator is just a mere observer, and cannot get into any character‘s head.

No, that's very specifically 3rd person omniscient and 3rd person objective.

1st person objective is what you described.

1st person omniscient is when the POV is from the 1st person perspective, but at times it makes omissions as though the narrator is telling about their own past.

2nd person objective is interactive stories with an objective POV.

2nd person omniscient is interactive stories with an omniscient POV.

So, as we see, there really are missing details in the poll.

BlackKnightX

No, that's very specifically 3rd person omniscient and 3rd person objective.
That’s why I only used Omniscient POV and Objective POV in the poll. Mostly, when we’re talking about such POVs, it‘ll usually be in 3rd person, and I think everyone already knows that.

1st person and 2nd person Omniscient or Objective do exist, but it’s rare compare to the 3rd person. That’s why I didn’t add it in the poll.

I think everyone already know what I’m talking about just by these alone. Go search on google about this, and you’ll see posts after posts that don’t go into that much details.

So, if people already understand this, then why bother adding more details and over complicate things further?

If you want to add more details or share more insight about POV, then you can do so in a post like this.

The poll is already okay, IMO.

Jemini

That’s why I only used Omniscient POV and Objective POV in the poll. Mostly, when we’re talking about such POVs, it‘ll usually be in 3rd person, and I think everyone already knows that.

1st person and 2nd person Omniscient or Objective do exist, but it’s rare compare to the 3rd person. That’s why I didn’t add it in the poll.

I think everyone already know what I’m talking about just by these alone. Go search on google about this, and you’ll see posts after posts that don’t go into that much details.

So, if people already understand this, then why bother adding more details and over complicate things further?

If you want to add more details or share more insight about POV, then you can do so in a post like this.

The poll is already okay, IMO.

The question, though, was what POV people like the most. What if people really like the rarely used ones?

BlackKnightX

The question, though, was what POV people like the most. What if people really like the rarely used ones?
Then just choose either one of the last two options.

Let’s say; if you like 1st person Objective POV, then choose Objective POV. If you like 2nd person Objective POV, then also choose Objective POV.

The point is, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person POVs are one thing, while Objective and Omniscient are the other.

I would consider every POVs that has objective way of narrating an Objective POV, no matter which perspectives it’s told from.

Jemini

Then just choose either one of the last two options.

Let’s say; if you like 1st person Objective POV, then choose Objective POV. If you like 2nd person Objective POV, then also choose Objective POV.

The point is, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person POVs are one thing, while Objective and Omniscient are the other.

I would consider every POVs that has objective way of narrating an Objective POV, no matter which perspectives it’s told from.

Except if I were to say "omniscient POV," everyone would assume I am talking about 3rd person omniscient. Because, as you just so explicitly said, everyone understands omniscient POV to refer to 3rd person omniscient.

But, what if that's not what I meant? What if I was wanting to refer to 1st person omniscient? I notice in your examples there, you only mentioned 1st person Objective and 2nd person Objective. You said nothing about the far more rare Omniscient varieties. Those are the ones I was referring to when I said the less common options, and your response was to basically confirm the less common items do not have an option in your poll.

You have 1st person objective

2nd person objective

3rd person omniscient

3rd person objective

And then, a repeat of 3rd person omniscient again.

Those are the options you currently have on your poll. You are repeating 1 of the options, and you are completely excluding 2 others.

BlackKnightX

Except if I were to say "omniscient POV," everyone would assume I am talking about 3rd person omniscient. Because, as you just so explicitly said, everyone understands omniscient POV to refer to 3rd person omniscient.

But, what if that's not what I meant? What if I was wanting to refer to 1st person omniscient? I notice in your examples there, you only mentioned 1st person Objective and 2nd person Objective. You said nothing about the far more rare Omniscient varieties. Those are the ones I was referring to when I said the less common options, and your response was to basically confirm the less common items do not have an option in your poll.

You have 1st person objective

2nd person objective

3rd person omniscient

3rd person objective

And then, a repeat of 3rd person omniscient again.

Those are the options you currently have on your poll. You are repeating 1 of the options, and you are completely excluding 2 others.
Wait, repeating one of the options? I think you misunderstand the definition of objective POV by the look of it.

As I posted before, 1st person POV is 1st person limited, not 1st person objective. It’s two completely different things. So does 2nd, and 3rd.

And comparing the order you just stated with my actual poll, I don‘t see any repeating at all. It seemed like you and I have different definition of objective and omniscient POVs.

Also, you didn’t even mention limited POV once, and that’s what I’m going for in the first place.

Like I stated before; 1st, 2nd, 3rd person POVs are all limited POVs. That’s how most people view it, so there’s no need to get any more specific.

And, like I told you, those less common options you choose will definitely be in the combination with either Objective or Omniscient POVs. And I still consider that to be either Objective or Omniscient POVs.

No matter what they combine with, if it combines with one of this two, then it’ll be in the last two options. (Think about the writing style, and it will make sense.)

No need to make things even more complicated.

Also, check your definition of objective POV. You seem to misunderstand it.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
”I prefer reading in 1st person, but when I write it takes all of my effort not to revert into an extreme narrator POV… I.E. David Attenborough in a documentary, or The Stanley Parable. Don’t know why, but I do know it is pretty unhealthy…”

A local amateur author typed, while keeping themselves from falling asleep. The Author panics to find the correct spelling of simple words. One blink after another, the authors eyelids grow heavy. Using nothing but will, they finish their comment.

“Sleep!…” they exclaimed as they hit post reply.

Asami_Shirogane

Anything is fine with me, but I enjoy an omniscient POV because it gives us an in depth look at what's going through each character's head. As well as the overall effects that each event has on the world in a general sense.

SailusGebel

3rd person POV. But I have no qualms with other POVs. I chose 3rd person only because you asked me to choose.

AKnightWithaKnife

Webnovel has ruined 1st person stories. Usually 1st person is rarely used unless for diaries(like the cather and the rye) 2nd however is used for 1st or third person litrpgs with table top elements and or interactive. 3rd person is the best to read but I hate when people flip between tenses

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I love writing in 1st person. However, I enjoy reading both 1st and 3rd person. There are a few stories that I enjoyed more than most because they would be in 1st person for the main character but would switch to 3rd person when the story focused on anyone else. you would think that this would get confusing but the authors always found ways to make it easy to understand who the story was focusing on. I try to mimic this writing style myself but I'm not exactly the best at it. Guess I have to practice more.

Akivien

First-person. Why? I connect more with the character. I like to know the details of every little thing that goes into their minds. I feel like they are telling me the story. :3 They become my buddy through the world they live in. And guess what? I don't mind if they are psychos. They will be my buddy psychopathic person. 💕
Yessssss
Noooooooooo

I tend to put a part of myself in my characters then
Then
It's scary
But fun

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Yessssss
Noooooooooo

I tend to put a part of myself in my characters then
Then
It's scary
But fun
Most writers put stuff about themselves in their characters. In fact, most creative stories are a writer trying to critique something or tell something that they see needs to be said.

Sometimes they don't realize this though, but it is usually always there. I mean, it is hard to not associate yourself with a story you are writing.

It's scary to put yourself out there, but it's also fun. c: