Discussion about plagiarism and ownership rights

RainingSky

Coffee lover (addict)
The art is cool but the title is mixing up with the colors (maybe because of lack of contrast?)
The character is well drawn. The title is a little confusing, though.
Very much possible I try it by changing the color to something with more contrast (Or maybe I leave away the red snowflakes)

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
Very much possible I try it by changing the color to something with more contrast (Or maybe I leave away the red snowflakes)
Hmm, well I meant more the word choice than the actual drawing. Since it got pointed out, the contrast is a little off though. Instead of using handwritten text, try printed text, and maybe set it off center either to the top right or bottom left. The white part of the dress is the worst match, color wise, so maybe avoid overlapping the dress or the moon.

The red snow in the background is rather interesting though, so I'd advise against getting rid of it if that's what you meant. The big white snowflake I'm more neutral towards.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I made my own cover for my Naruto Fanfiction since I felt really bad about using a picture from the Internet, but not sure if it is suitable since I usually only do stuff as an analog artist and (truthfully admitted) borrowed my classmates Drawing Pad for it.
if you browse through Wattpad's top 100 fanfictions you'll find that most of them not only poach images off google, they don't even bother to wait for the resolution to load before slapping a word art title on it and calling it a cover. they routinely have close to 1m or even 3m views at times.

trust me; unless you're writing an original work, fanfictions are a plaigarist's safe haven. anything goes, so long as you're not monetizing your content. if you ARE, pray to god no one finds out.

Nane

Doesn't go well in a milkshake
You feel bad about using a pic from the Internet, yet okay writing fanfiction. :blob_unsure:
I think these are very different things.
Hello :)

I made my own cover for my Naruto Fanfiction since I felt really bad about using a picture from the Internet, but not sure if it is suitable since I usually only do stuff as an analog artist and (truthfully admitted) borrowed my classmates Drawing Pad for it.

View attachment 10814
If you make the title more noticeable, it will look a lot better. For example, you could add white borders around the letters, or move the title towards the bottom where it's less crowded.
Also, changing the font would improve the dramatic mood of the drawing.

Nane

When you write fanfiction, everyone knows that the original work belongs to someone else, even if you use their characters and world.

Using a random artist's work as your cover without asking for permission (or even mentioning their name) is just ignoring the talent and effort that went into it, making people believe it's your work. It's just plain rude. :blob_unamused:

SailusGebel

When you write fanfiction, everyone knows that the original work belongs to someone else, even if you use their characters and world.

Using a random artist's work as your cover without asking for permission (or even mentioning their name) is just ignoring the talent and effort that went into it, making people believe it's your work. It's just plain rude. :blob_unamused:
You don't ask for permission when writing fanfiction. And you don't mention the name of authors, editors, helpers, etc. But, apparently, it's not rude. OK. :blob_okay:

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
You don't ask for permission when writing fanfiction. And you don't mention the name of authors, editors, helpers, etc. But, apparently, it's not rude. OK. :blob_okay:
They are not. Using art that isn't yours is the same as using a plot and characters that aren't yours.
Writing fanfic is fine, copy-pasting a book is not fine. Drawing fanart is fine, copying an artists picture is not fine.

SailusGebel

Writing fanfic is fine, copy-pasting a book is not fine. Drawing fanart is fine, copying an artists picture is not fine.
So, you can use worldbuilding, the same worldbuilding that an author was making for years, the same worldbuilding that an author didn't craft alone. You can simply use it, it's fine. Using a picture drawn by a random artist(and crediting him), a picture that is a fanart, thus doesn't belong to him, isn't fine. Ok.

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
So, you can use worldbuilding, the same worldbuilding that an author was making for years, the same worldbuilding that an author didn't craft alone. You can simply use it, it's fine. Using a picture drawn by a random artist(and crediting him), a picture that is a fanart, thus doesn't belong to him, isn't fine. Ok.
You are severely downplaying one side but ok. The worldbuilding by a random author is as much his property as a picture or design by a random artist. Both are being credited so why are you even bringing that point up? And why do you bring up how long the worldbuilding takes? If I make a world, it is my property, if I draw a picture/design a character it is my property. Just because something takes longer it not extra much my property. And you are mixing original and fan-work up, again to downplay one side...
1. You have to credit eitherway
2. You shouldn't use fan work to earn money eitherway
3. You shouldn't copy paste it but add to it.

It's the same with music too. Fan covers and remixes are all okay.
Try to look at this topic with less bias.

Edit: And no, the fanart someone does is still their possession, but with limited copyright. Doesn't mean anyone else can use it without permission.
Edit2: The word I was thinking about was undermining not downplay*... I think

Last edited:

SailusGebel

You are severely downplaying one side but ok. The worldbuilding by a random author is as much his property as a picture or design by a random artist. Both are being credited so why are you even bringing that point up? And why do you bring up how long the worldbuilding takes? If I make a world, it is my property, if I draw a picture/design a character it is my property. Just because something takes longer it not extra much my property. And you are mixing original and fan-work up, again to downplay one side...
1. You have to credit eitherway
2. You shouldn't use fan work to earn money eitherway
3. You shouldn't copy paste it but add to it.

It's the same with music too. Fan covers and remixes are all okay.
Try to look at this topic with less bias.

Edit: And no, the fanart someone does is still their possession, but with limited copyright. Doesn't mean anyone else can use it without permission.
Edit2: The word I was thinking about was undermining not downplay*... I think
I'm not mixing anything, and I have no bias. I don't see any difference at all. Why writing fanfic is okay, but using a picture from the internet is not okay? What's the difference between using others' intellectual property and borrowing a picture? I can't see it. On both occasions, you use other peoples' labor.

Nane

I'm not mixing anything, and I have no bias. I don't see any difference at all. Why writing fanfic is okay, but using a picture from the internet is not okay? What's the difference between using others' intellectual property and borrowing a picture? I can't see it. On both occasions, you use other peoples' labor.
How do you add something new and exciting to a cover picture you downloaded because it looked somewhat related to your work and put on your story's main page? That is not the case with fanfiction.

(Also, sorry for the discussion @RainingSky, this thread took an unexpected turn:blob_sweat: I think making your own cover for your story, even with limited sources, is a very good thing, though. Good job(y))

Last edited:

SailusGebel

How do you add something new and exciting to a cover picture you downloaded because it looked somewhat related to your work and put on your story's main page? That is not the case with fanfiction.
I'm sorry, English isn't my native language, and I didn't understand what you wrote.