Discussion about plagiarism and ownership rights

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
I have no bias
Really?

using others' intellectual property and borrowing a picture?
"Using property" vs "borrowing A picture"

No bias? So if someone writes a fanfic over several years I can just "borrow" it?
I don't see any difference at all.
If you don't want to acknowledge it I won't further bother either.

How do you add something new and exciting to a cover picture you downloaded because it looked somewhat related to your work and put on your story's main page? That is not the case with fanfiction.
:blob_dizzy:
I'm sorry, English isn't my native language, and I didn't understand what you wrote.
I didn't fully understand that sentence either.

Nane

Doesn't go well in a milkshake
Okay I'll try my best and rephrase that sentence.
I said this because you said you saw no difference. So, I compared the two things:

1-You don't add anything to a cover picture you copied and pasted. Because there's nothing new, nothing exciting with what you did. It is exactly the same. You put no effort in it to make it look more different than it was before.

2-Fanfiction, on the other hand, is when you take an original idea and add something new to it. 'What if this happened?' or 'How about a new character like this in the story?'.

:sweating_profusely:phew

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
How do you add something new and exciting to a cover picture you downloaded because it looked somewhat related to your work and put on your story's main page? That is not the case with fanfiction.
I think you're referring to photomanipulation. Like this.
Elven Vampire1.jpg
Elven Druid3.jpg
Elven Winter Druid1.jpg

No bias? So if someone writes a fanfic over several years I can just "borrow" it?
That's literally the opposite of the point they were making.

SailusGebel

Yes really. You are an artist, so you are clearly much more biased here. If you think I have a prejudice against artists, it's wrong. I actually dislike fanfiction.
"Using property" vs "borrowing A picture"
We have a picture an artist made. He has no right to monetize it because it's a fanart or some other circumstances. You take it and credit him. You don't steal money from him. In fact, if you strike it big, you can contribute to this artist's popularity. Yes, he spent time drawing. So did an author who spent time writing a story you 'borrowed' to write your fanfic. And you can't monetize your fanfic. It's fanfic, so the borrowed picture doesn't contribute to you in any way. It can contribute to your popularity, yet the big words: A NARUTO FANFIC, contributes to your story no less. Actually, we don't have a statistic on what contributes more, but it doesn't matter.
Okay I'll try my best and rephrase that sentence.
I said this because you said you saw no difference. So, I compared the two things:

1-You don't add anything to a cover picture you copied and pasted. Because there's nothing new, nothing exciting with what you did. It is exactly the same. You put no effort in it to make it look more different than it was before.

2-Fanfiction, on the other hand, is when you take an original idea and add something new to it. 'What if this happened?' or 'How about a new character like this in the story?'.

:sweating_profusely:phew
I thought it was obvious that you would change the pic you took in one way or another. Cause you need a cover, not a simple pic. You will at least slap your title on it. So, technically, you add\change something.

Last edited:

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
That's literally the opposite of the point they were making.
Is it? From what I understood they are saying that you can do whatever you want with fanart because it is the work of a fan. and since fanart has an euqal position to fanfiction that was my conclusion. But hoenstly, everything has been pretty confusing here because everyone keeps talking past each other so idk either.

You are an artist, so you are clearly much more biased here.
Actually, I'm primarily a gamedev when it comes to my hobbies. But, I draw, write and compose my own stuff so I'd say I've been on all sides.
Edit: Though I usually ignore the art and try to get an artist (which causes many failed projects). So I'd say I've written much more than I've drawn.

If you don't want to acknowledge it I won't further bother either.
If you really want to, I can try and explain everything I said more clearly because you ignored almost all my points from last post.

SailusGebel

If you really want to, I can try and explain everything I said more clearly because you ignored almost all my points from last post.
Same here. You ignore my points while I ignore yours. Not literally ignore btw. Perhaps we misunderstand each other or something like that.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Is it? From what I understood they are saying that you can do whatever you want with fanart because it is the work of a fan. and since fanart has an euqal position to fanfiction that was my conclusion.
The problem is that you cut a piece of what they said out of its context. The next line they wrote negated the part you quoted. As an example, "Is it alright to put milk in the bowl before the cereal? I disagree." You quoted the first part while leaving out the second.
What's the difference between using others' intellectual property and borrowing a picture? I can't see it.

The way I interpreted it at least, made it seem like they were saying that fanart, fanfic, art theft, and stealing a story are all the same. That's something I can agree with. It's just that for some reason, people agree that it's okay to do the first two. A bias. They add qualifiers like, 'if you credit the original maker' and 'as long as you don't make money off it'.

But that doesn't change what it is. 'If they were a really bad person, it's okay to murder them.' It's still murder, though. Obviously, this isn't as serious as murder. In fact, even if you catch someone stealing a picture off google, or posting another author's work unmodified, you won't be able to do anything about it.

I've seen hundreds of people selling their fanart, having fanfictions as a reward for Patreon, taking random pictures off google and changing the lighting a little to make it 'theirs', and of course, Webnovel's little shadow sites. It's all equally wrong, but there's nothing you can do about it.

Fanfic and fanart, by common agreement, are 'allowed with qualifiers'. And a lot of people enjoy making and consuming them. But it's hypocritical to pretend that it's somehow not stealing. You are relying on someone else's work, almost ALWAYS without permission, to boost your own position.
…can’t we just appreciate the art instead of starting a discussion about another topic?
Yeah. It always feels like 'just one more post, and we can come to an understanding. It won't be that much of a disruption, right?' In reality, this is what Conversations are for. For anyone reading through here in the future, with a desperate desire to respond to the off topic part of the discussion: Just start your own thread. Or, if there's a specific individual you want to talk to, start a Conversation instead.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
…can’t we just appreciate the art instead of starting a discussion about another topic?
it's par for the course. a simple thread doesn't get engagement aside from some courtesy congratulatory posts. but OP here stuck an extra blurb that leads to the usage of Google images for covers on fanfictions and now there's a topic being stoked.

it's not anyone's fault. it's just how the nature of a forum works. there's only so much you can say about a nice looking cover, but if you attach a spicy topic to it, you'll see those replies and views skyrocket just by association.

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
Same here. You ignore my points while I ignore yours. Not literally ignore btw. Perhaps we misunderstand each other or something like that.
But I specifically addressed every single and each point you made? Normally I'd make a diagram or something to explain better but I'll just go over everything again. I still have to write todays chapter after all :blob_upset:

First let's make postitions clear:

Original novel = Original picture/design (You own everything)
Fanfic = fanart (You own this, but not what is featured inside. E.g. you own the story but not the characters or world, you own the drawing but not the character you drew. --- You cannot monetize this --- You credit the owner)
Edit2: copy-paste story = copy-paste picture ( Adding credits won'T do you any good. Theft stays theft --- Forgot to add lowest rank smh)

You have to apply the same rules to both drawings and story for things to make sense. You can't have a different approach for each.

You don't ask for permission when writing fanfiction.
Just apply to the other side too: "You don't ask for permission when using a picture for your story."
And you don't mention the name of authors, editors, helpers, etc. But, apparently, it's not rude. OK. :blob_okay:
1. The author is being credited, just as the artist is getting credited.
2. You don't credit the editors helper etc. and that is fine, they have "nothing" to do with this. If I hire someone on Fiverr to make something for me I don't credit them either. Once they are done with their job they have nothing to do with that piece. Credit to the owners of the property.

I'm not mixing anything, and I have no bias. I don't see any difference at all. Why writing fanfic is okay, but using a picture from the internet is not okay? What's the difference between using others' intellectual property and borrowing a picture? I can't see it. On both occasions, you use other peoples' labor.
This is pretty much cause of all the confusion. You approach this issue from the "Using one thing makes using everything okay" side while I approach this issue from the "You don't use xxx so don't use anything" side. My issue with your approach is that you force false equality on all property but ignore what rights the real property owners have.

But this whole issue is not black/white anyway so a simple way doesn't work. Whatever.

We have a picture an artist made. He has no right to monetize it because it's a fanart or some other circumstances.
Yes. But he owns it.

You take it and credit him.
Shitty but that's how it is.

You don't steal money from him.
Still theft.

In fact, if you strike it big, you can contribute to this artist's popularity.
"I'll pay you with exposure"
Still theft.

Yes, he spent time drawing. So did an author who spent time writing a story you 'borrowed' to write your fanfic.
He spent time drawing it and he owns it. You simply stole it.
He spent time writing it and he owns it. You make a transformative peice and you own your piece. Not all contents though. But you still own what you wrote.
And you can't monetize your fanfic.
Yes. No money for fanfic writer.

It's fanfic, so the borrowed picture doesn't contribute to you in any way.
Irrelevant whether it contributes to you or not. It's theft.

It can contribute to your popularity, yet the big words: A NARUTO FANFIC, contributes to your story no less.
Yes. But the amount of contribution is still irrelevant.

Actually, we don't have a statistic on what contributes more, but it doesn't matter.
Yes.

I think you're referring to photomanipulation. Like this.
Elven Vampire1.jpg
Elven Druid3.jpg
Elven Winter Druid1.jpg
I'd say this isn't enough of a transformation to make it yours. Just adding a title isn't either. This much + a title isn't enough either.

I thought it was obvious that you would change the pic you took in one way or another. Cause you need a cover, not a simple pic. You will at least slap your title on it. So, technically, you add\change something.
See above.

The problem is that you cut a piece of what they said out of its context. The next line they wrote negated the part you quoted. As an example, "Is it alright to put milk in the bowl before the cereal? I disagree." You quoted the first part while leaving out the second.
I read it again, but I feel like it's really about how you intrepret what he said. I've addressed it again here.

The way I interpreted it at least, made it seem like they were saying that fanart, fanfic, art theft, and stealing a story are all the same. That's something I can agree with. It's just that for some reason, people agree that it's okay to do the first two. A bias. They add qualifiers like, 'if you credit the original maker' and 'as long as you don't make money off it'.
I'm repeating myself because this is a huge ass post now. But I want to be as clear as possible on this one.
Fanart and fanfic have great amounts of transformation. That is why they are okay.
copy pasting something is theft. No credit in the world makes that okay and I don't understand why people think crediting someone gives you the right to steal. The reason fanart and fanfics are okay is not because of crediting the owner but because of the transformation that you add.
But that doesn't change what it is. 'If they were a really bad person, it's okay to murder them.' It's still murder, though. Obviously, this isn't as serious as murder. In fact, even if you catch someone stealing a picture off google, or posting another author's work unmodified, you won't be able to do anything about it.
I think this is a very bad comparison.
I've seen hundreds of people selling their fanart, having fanfictions as a reward for Patreon, taking random pictures off google and changing the lighting a little to make it 'theirs', and of course, Webnovel's little shadow sites. It's all equally wrong, but there's nothing you can do about it.
Yeah that's shitty. But in my experience, at least the stalls with printed items, arent the artists but art thefts. Ive often seen stalls with artworks from friends of mine (obviously without their permission) being sold on big conventions (I mean E3 level big). But yeah not much you can do about shit like that.

Fanfic and fanart, by common agreement, are 'allowed with qualifiers'. And a lot of people enjoy making and consuming them. But it's hypocritical to pretend that it's somehow not stealing. You are relying on someone else's work, almost ALWAYS without permission, to boost your own position.
I didn't want to leave this single paragphar alone when I quoted everything else in this thread lol Already talked about this, nothing to add.

NO! It's nice art though.

P.S.: I swear I already wrote more for this than I write on my chapters. :blob_neutral:

Edit: I forgot to add a tl;dr, sorry about that. Just don't read it if you don't want to it's not important anyways lol

Last edited:

SailusGebel

Yeah. It always feels like 'just one more post, and we can come to an understanding. It won't be that much of a disruption, right?' In reality, this is what Conversations are for. For anyone reading through here in the future, with a desperate desire to respond to the off topic part of the discussion: Just start your own thread. Or, if there's a specific individual you want to talk to, start a Conversation instead.

Will this link work? https://forum.scribblehub.com/conversations/theft.1444/
I tend to lose my train of thought. Writing fanfiction is the same thievery as 'borrowing' a pic was what I meant initially.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
You feel bad about using a pic from the Internet, yet okay writing fanfiction. :blob_unsure:
Sounds absolutely stupid.....but okay lol. If you use someone else's story in ANY way shape or form, it is no different from using a random photo/picture. Calling it fanfiction changes nothing. Writing a Naruto fanfic, is still using someone else's work. No different then using a random "stolen" image. This is simple, and all this BS nonsense of those guys trying to make it complicated is retarded.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Sounds absolutely stupid.....but okay lol. If you use someone else's story in ANY way shape or form, it is no different from using a random photo/picture. Calling it fanfiction changes nothing. Writing a Naruto fanfic, is still using someone else's work. No different then using a random "stolen" image. This is simple, and all this BS nonsense of those guys trying to make it complicated is retarded.
Yep. Blows my mind that people were actually arguing about this. But then, idgits like this also probably go to uni and unironically consider themselves intelligent. There should be sooo many more lawyers and politicians here with all the hot air that gets thrown around.

SailusGebel

What?

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Oh okay. It's just that I didn't understand what you wrote, so I asked you, no offense meant.
Was just saying that if you write fanfiction, you are still stealing regardless of how you explain the "differences". Might as well just take the damn picture they saw on the search engine. Either one is theft if you want to get technical about it. Was confused as to why the others were so adamant about explaining differences that don't really exist, and even if they did, those differences would be meaningless. It's like stealing a car but then explaining how it's different from stealing someone's bank account info.

RainingSky

Coffee lover (addict)
The character is well drawn. The title is a little confusing, though.
I think these are very different things.

If you make the title more noticeable, it will look a lot better. For example, you could add white borders around the letters, or move the title towards the bottom where it's less crowded.
Also, changing the font would improve the dramatic mood of the drawing.
The art is cool but the title is mixing up with the colors (maybe because of lack of contrast?)
Hmm, well I meant more the word choice than the actual drawing. Since it got pointed out, the contrast is a little off though. Instead of using handwritten text, try printed text, and maybe set it off center either to the top right or bottom left. The white part of the dress is the worst match, color wise, so maybe avoid overlapping the dress or the moon.

The red snow in the background is rather interesting though, so I'd advise against getting rid of it if that's what you meant. The big white snowflake I'm more neutral towards.
Thanks for the feedback.