Do you like or dislike fanfics?

Carpio

IDK, but personally I find too many fanfictions are just people putting an ideal version of themselves into that story, which are absolutely perfect, overpowered, and perfect. Not saying don't write fanfictions, but people who do write/plan to write, please add obstacles for characters to overcome, like an actual wall. It would also be nice, plotline-wise if they do lose sometimes. But I also see what the community feels about this.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Hate.

Like, way too poorly done to the point of shit. I mean the slippery slope of mary sue and gary stu is there and it is hard NOT to. But I will have the tendency to ignore fanfics.

The Games We Play worked (for me) solely because Jaune (is this SI? No? I dunno) is far far far away from fucking with the main cast.

gogo7966

banishing a light and a dark. she/her
fanfics are stories like any other and i have no strong feelings one way or the other

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Apologies, I have not written any characters that I have preferred as I definitely don't want to be female, beautiful at that, great a socializing, spouting friendship is power and probably might have a harem of guys. Thank you very much.

As much as I want to write my own idealize main character to be male, OP af and has a harem, I still haven't unlocked that tech tree yet.

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
I did made that kind of fanfic, in fact bit too much that people actually hate me torturing the mc too much and plus made him immature and stupid lmao. (which exact opposite of wish fullfillment). At least he is OP and get harem :blob_joy:

But if you ask my opinion, I did like fanfic but a good one. Wish fullfillment is just okay to me, but I will be indifferent toward it. Not hate by the way.

Sometimes I did read binge them but I won't reread them. I have read a ton of fanfic, and fanfic that made me to reread it few times can be counted with both of my hands.

But hey, fanfic is seriously a good way to learn and train your writing until you feel that you are ready to start your own series. That's somehow worked well to me.

Carpio

Part 2 to this question. Why have there been so many MHA and Naruto fan-fics compared to other shows/games/animes? What makes them so preferred?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Part 2 to this question. Why have there been so many MHA and Naruto fan-fics compared to other shows/games/animes? What makes them so preferred?
Shonen genre with an extremely cheery (but not until like Fairy Tail, fuck it) and likable MC?

I would say no one likes to be Ichigo (Bleach) but I had seen a fair share of those.

Renaxan

In my opinion, it's because their world basic setting obviously, like you got chakra and quirk which author could really custom them whatever they want to be as power. Just saw that new release story 'Rubber man in MHA' for example, author can easily made it as quirk but worked like One Piece Protagonist devil fruit.

Also the second factor, I think its the world building.

In Naruto, the world building is very massive to play with as long you have creativity. You can make the protagonist somehow daughter of Kurama, reincarnated mc to second world war ninja and pair him with Tsunade or somehow become grandson of madara. This thing also applied to other similar series with huge world buiding like One Piece by the way.

MHA sure have small world building compared to naruto, but I think the effect exact opposite from series like ff naruto. Since the plot is somehow really straightforward in MHA, most author tend to follow canon closely, which is sure easy to do and no one would be mad to them either as long they did it right. This way, author with lack of imagination still could write their fanfic very well without scared doing anything wrong.

But the real top reason should be the original show popularity. They just sells better compared other fiction. Harry Potter and Marvel also sells a lot too lol.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I did made that kind of fanfic, in fact bit too much that people actually hate me torturing the mc too much and plus made him immature and stupid lmao. (which exact opposite of wish fullfillment). At least he is OP and get harem :blob_joy:

But if you ask my opinion, I did like fanfic but a good one. Wish fullfillment is just okay to me, but I will be indifferent toward it. Not hate by the way.

Sometimes I did read binge them but I won't reread them. I have read a ton of fanfic, and fanfic that made me to reread it few times can be counted with both of my hands.

But hey, fanfic is seriously a good way to learn and train your writing until you feel that you are ready to start your own series. That's somehow worked well to me.
As a reader, I can never understand why anyone would attempt to try and alter the state of a created frame by an author and as a wannabe writer, I understand that creating your own world is hard. Terribly hard if you want to be as detailed as possible as readers will hound you like those in Kuropon's discord. I have seen good crossovers like Ben 10 x FSN, the rest is just, I would like a brain bleach.

Renaxan

As a reader, I can never understand why anyone would attempt to try and alter the state of a created frame by an author and as a wannabe writer, I understand that creating your own world is hard. Terribly hard if you want to be as detailed as possible as readers will hound you like those in Kuropon's discord. I have seen good crossovers like Ben 10 x FSN, the rest is just, I would like a brain bleach.
I admit, I also kinda doing that. Altering plot that is. My reason was not following canon is much more interesting to read than closely following one. Honest to earth, if a fanfic really following canon bit too much with only small changes, I would rather read the original source. Original definitely much better than fanfic, we all know that.

Creating a world is hard, I did realize that very well even though I write fanfic since what I write was a fanfic multiple anime and eroge crossover mixed in one world. The result was huge brain disaster :blob_joy: , and need to careful with anything. After writing 55 chapter worth of 150k+ words, I realize that world building isnt my forte at all, but I just doing fine with dialogue and comedy.

I ended write romcom normal modern setting as my own series because I dont need a lot world building in that lmao.

Carpio

Also is it fanfic if I had an idea, that later on, I created a story that is based on the world of Fate, but all characters are newly generated for example? Because I really liked the idea of holy grail war and wanted to make, if not my own, something similar. What I had in mind is the idea of summoning servants but planned to use people like Thomas Jefferson and Mark Antony who have not been used as well as make the master unique.

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
I don't like fanfic. It's like the author is too lazy and/or lack of creativity to come up with his/her own story. Most of the time, the fanfic writers will just use the characters of a popular series and mash them up to come up with "their" version of the story. If it's popular, most of the time it's because the appeared characters are popular, not because the stories are good.

Even though I said alll that, I kind of want to read a fanfic modified from a terrible series, or one known to be so.

SailusGebel

Also is it fanfic if I had an idea, that later on, I created a story that is based on the world of Fate, but all characters are newly generated for example? Because I really liked the idea of holy grail war, and wanted to make, if not my own, something similar.
Depends.

Renaxan

Also is it fanfic if I had an idea, that later on, I created a story that is based on the world of Fate, but all characters are newly generated for example? Because I really liked the idea of holy grail war and wanted to make, if not my own, something similar. What I had in mind is the idea of summoning servants but planned to use people like Thomas Jefferson and Mark Antony who have not been used as well as make the master unique.
As long you are using the same system, yes. But if you rename the system and the rules a bit but the idea is basically the same, that's your own series. So just do that lol.

Fate is originally from vn, and even fate has kind of inspired a lot other vn to use the same kind of basic idea but different system. For example, Fortissimo series. They put people on island, made them able to summon 'powerful servant', and fight to death too lol.

But they are not fate.

Carpio

As long you are using the same system, yes. But if you rename the system and the rules a bit but the idea is basically the same, that's your own series. So just do that lol.

Fate is originally from vn, and even fate has kind of inspired a lot other vn to use the same kind of basic idea but different system. For example, Fortissimo series. They put people on island, made them able to summon 'powerful servant', and fight to death too lol.

But they are not fate.
Thanks, that makes things a lot easier. (especially since this whole topic was to see if writing it as fanfic was worth it or not.)

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
I love and hate fanfic.

I love it when the fanfic author tried to be original rather than just following the plot of the fiction where their work originated from without putting much changes to it.

I hate it when it's all about segs, harem, segs, and another segs. A good story isn't all about segs and harem you know? Even a slice of life with fluffy elements in it would make a better story than that full of segs and harem. At least, that's my take on this.