Do you like or dislike fanfics?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Also is it fanfic if I had an idea, that later on, I created a story that is based on the world of Fate, but all characters are newly generated for example? Because I really liked the idea of holy grail war and wanted to make, if not my own, something similar. What I had in mind is the idea of summoning servants but planned to use people like Thomas Jefferson and Mark Antony who have not been used as well as make the master unique.
Taking inspiration from a story doesn't automatically make it a fanfic. But at the same time, you can't just copy paste it and say, "Oh, I changed the characters' names, so it's different."

I have not dug into Fate, but I assume 'Holy Grail War', 'summoned servants', and 'famous historical figures' will equate to 'Fate fanfic'. Just picking different historical figures from the ones used in show isn't enough. You need an entirely different setting to work off of.

(Side note, newly generated characters would be Original Characters. That can mean a character you made up for your own setting, or one you inserted into another setting.)
Even though I said alll that, I kind of want to read a fanfic modified from a terrible series, or one known to be so.
A lot of 'good' fanfic exists because someone really, really liked a story, but really, really hated a specific part of it. So was born, the 'Fix-it-fic'. Back when I was getting started with writing, I outlined a lot of those. It was good practice. When you find a good idea that was wasted, you can fully flesh it out and make something interesting. Or, you can just put different characters in the same situation, and see how they would act differently.

However, I ultimately fall onto the side of 'Dislike.'

Fanfic writers usually have no regard for the original author's work. They aren't trying to fix it, they aren't experimenting. They're just trying to get an audience with as little effort as possible. It's a low-level con. Even self-insert wish fulfillment would be more appealing.

And so, while I've read some interesting fanfics, and I love authors who design their story around the idea that there will be fanfics/OC's written for it like RWBY and (I assume) MHA, I filtered out fanfics and don't read them anymore. It's a bit of a shame, but...

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
IDK, but personally I find too many fanfictions are just people putting an ideal version of themselves into that story, which are absolutely perfect, overpowered, and perfect. Not saying don't write fanfictions, but people who do write/plan to write, please add obstacles for characters to overcome, like an actual wall. It would also be nice, plotline-wise if they do lose sometimes. But I also see what the community feels about this.

My opinion of fanfics can be summed up in one 4 panel image.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I really dislike fanfics since most are just trampling on other authors sweat, blood and tears for a quick fix of fame and fortune.

Does it have to be a story in MHA/Naruto/DB or OP universe? Does it need to exactly include the characters that another author created?

You could just copy (or outright rip off) those characters and put them into your own setting.

Almost nobody would dislike an author for being inspired by certain works. But outright stealing stuff? Not cool.

If you want to have zombie goku fight nuclear powered robot naruto on the grand line, you might better stop writing alltogether, though.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
you know what, I actually like fanfiction because I sometimes went out my way to search fanfiction of vocaloid or touhou, or sometimes about a few niche manga i like to read.
the reason? well, because I didn't have enough with the original and I want to see how other people take about these manga I like. (doesn't have to be manga, could be anything, like JRPG games or something)

but I do though, like most people. typically avoid a fanfiction with a "self-insert" tag.
I mean, I don't really care if you want to have fun fantasizing that you're get inside the universe of your favorite game/manga/something, that's good for you.
but I'm sure as heck I wouldn't want to cheering on you while you're doing that publicly.
which is why it's actually a general knowledge in fanfiction community that a self-insert fanfiction is universally hated.

and yeah, weird as it might seems, I myself are NEVER, i mean literally never, not even once. that I encounter any fanfiction at scribblehub that's NOT a self-insert genre.
so it's no wonder that people here are mostly hating fanfiction, I could totally understand that.

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
@Carpio

Here is a private conversation of another user to me regarding the situation
9E69AB39-FD3B-40DE-99D8-A30005FA800B.jpeg

8CF11C3A-2221-42B6-8A29-D70C21EC1DAF.jpeg
CEEF6DDE-3B6C-4FA4-9D46-12AD3C9932A7.jpeg

Since I am the one is wrong here, I apologize.

If you want, I will delete the other comments as to not inflate this topic.

Carpio

MyukiMruieast

Departure of Motivation led me to want water
Part 2 to this question. Why have there been so many MHA and Naruto fan-fics compared to other shows/games/animes? What makes them so preferred?
I like some fan-fics which does not mean I love everything. Also, I absolutely have no idea why many prefers the two. I read one MHA fan fiction and I utterly disdain it, same goes for Naruto, and KNY.

The only fan fiction keeping me up is miraculous ladybug and SCP ones.

bigbear51

I like the idea of fanfic, but the execution on most is pretty terrible. I don't just mean because the people are inexperienced, but that whatever's written is just so awful that it's crazy someone would be find with publishing it.

Most of my exposure to it with with Wattpad, which I'm sure most already find mediocre. So that's why I'm used to seeing the hundreds of "x reader" or "y/n" type stories that admittedly aren't afraid to show that this is pretty much a self-insert. At some point I'll probably end up writing one just to see what it's like trying to write one of those things.