Opposite of Divine

Tempokai

Overworked One
Assume you have hundreds of "gods" who are immortal and have supernatural powers because they were worshiped by the people. They have "divine" powers. Then, all of a sudden, hundreds of "other gods" appear, and they are exactly like them, immortal and have supernatural powers, but they "accumulated" energy from other sources. How would you describe their powers, which is "divine" and yet is not?

joeblow12

Well ideally you would name them based on there power source.
So for example taoist gods, if they get there power from qi.
Or Maybe call them Immortals.

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
Assume you have hundreds of "gods" who are immortal and have supernatural powers because they were worshiped by the people. They have "divine" powers. Then, all of a sudden, hundreds of "other gods" appear, and they are exactly like them, immortal and have supernatural powers, but they "accumulated" energy from other sources. How would you describe their powers, which is "divine" and yet is not?
Are they ‘evil’ or not?

SailusGebel

Consider them as "invasive species"
Yet they are exactly the same as the "original species"? Or did you mean that they are the same by having supernatural powers? Are they different in something apart from their powers?

Tempokai

Overworked One
Yet they are exactly the same as the "original species"? Or did you mean that they are the same by having supernatural powers? Are they different in something apart from their powers?
Assume there is a god of fire who is worshiped because he is a "fire" and thus has "fire" powers. And there is a similar god of fire on the opposite side, but he has "fire" powers because he "accumulated" "fire" energy. They have similar abilities, but they obtained them through different means.
I can't describe the second one because of this convoluted mess.

SailusGebel

Assume there is a god of fire who is worshiped because he is a "fire" and thus has "fire" powers. And there is a similar god of fire on the opposite side, but he has "fire" powers because he "accumulated" "fire" energy. They have similar abilities, but they obtained them through different means.
If I understood everything correctly, the first gods gained their power via worshipping, and that's why it's divine. It was basically given to them through prayers. Second gods obtained their powers themselves. Now, you just need to think of how they obtained those powers. That's it. You wrote it yourselves that they accumulated fire energy. You can accumulate it via cultivation like in Chinese novels, and the source of their power will become fire ki\chi, etc. You can accumulate fire mana, and so on. First of all, you should decide how the second gods gain their powers. If you've already done it but fear that it will 'spoil' the story or someone will steal the idea, don't worry. Almost no one on this forum will read your story, and almost everyone active on forums doesn't write anything and instead procrastinate.

Last edited:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Infernal.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Here is my two cent if the "other" gods had gotten their power from anywhere but through worshipping.

By the heavens and earths, they shall be NATURAL gods. As in the one who birthed them is the nature itself, which is weird considering that THESE GODS should be the first ones to appear than the FAITH gods. If they appear earlier, then they should be called OLDEN gods. So the power associated should be Aether?

By themselves or through means that resulted in them accumulating the energy, be it from getting struck by lightning or having to cannibalise their way through. These are called EARTHEN gods or MORTAL gods, as they stem from the filthy roots that is mortality itself. Gods like these include living beings like animals, humans (split because "humans are special"), plants to even things like inanimate objects* that somehow gained sentience and start absorbing the energy by themselves. Ehm, I just throw in Mana here.

*Quick sidenote, the difference between inanimate objects turning into either FAITH gods or MORTAL gods is whether the energy has been fed to them through other means or if the object itself had seek the energy by itself.

Last edited:

NonReal

Maybe primordial power, a name often associated with Titans.

If you want a good name you should give more context to go along with it. Just 'divine but not' is very little to work with.

Psycholor

Writing Trash
Looks like a lot of people are misunderstanding the question; you don't want a name for the gods, or a name for the individual powers. You want a name for the source of power these new gods use. The original gods draw their power from worshipers, and call it "Divinity". You want a name for the new god's power system.

Sounds like cultivation, so Qi, Chakra, Soul Power, Life Energy.

If it needs to invoke the idea of being opposite to Divinity... Nether Energy, Void Source, Outer Qi, Dark Pulse.

All of those were pulled straight from my ass. Hopefully, something will help you come up with what you need!

TotallyHuman

Pagan, infernal are two possible uses.
Pagan for the more benign non-divine origins, infernal for the more sinister ones.
Though I have to add my two cents. I don't really like the idea of gods getting powers from worship and being, you know, people. It stinks of libertarian ideology (and there's nothing wrong with it, apart from me not liking it) and a slew of misguided, almost medieval, ideas of humanity's place in the world. A god should be powerful because it (and I mean, IT) is a god, not a god being a god because they (as in he/she/they) are powerful.

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
Consider them as "invasive species"
Just call them the ‘Other’, like for example the ‘Other’ Flame, the ‘Other’ Water and give them a name once you’ve thought of it later because procrastination ftw

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Profane. It means to disrespect a deity, which could be anything from using 'evil' powers to just straight up ignoring the pious gods.

Heathen, Pagan, Heretic; sacrilegious, blasphemous, unholy also work.

Layenlml

If you go by name there is dozen but I just narrow down to:

Worship gods got 1.000 points of 'Top Tier' OP energy and the 'Dieties' got 100.000 of low tier energy or 10.000 of mid tier energy technically getting the same amount of power.