Tell me the reasons why you drop a story.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I’m a serial dropper. I’ll drop anything. I’ll even drop something I’m enjoying if there is too much of a satisfying conclusion before the actual end of the story. It’s not a good habit but a lot of stories fall apart at the end or just end on cliff hangers so I’m okay with it.

BlackKnightX

I’m a serial dropper. I’ll drop anything. I’ll even drop something I’m enjoying if there is too much of a satisfying conclusion before the actual end of the story. It’s not a good habit but a lot of stories fall apart at the end or just end on cliff hangers so I’m okay with it.
Dude, we’re the complete opposite~
I just wanted to make a book
Start by making papers.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
There's a high chance I drop something when it turns their main pairing from 1:1 to harem for no reason other than having a harem and sometimes even if there's a reason for it. I just don't like harem.

And I drop a story faster than a bullet if the author ignores basic grammar or doesn't use articles at all. I know this site is for hobbyists, but...

PeacefulMyst

In your heart~
- Too cold: this one’s hard to explain. It’s in the language and prose, I think. (Don’t be a camera; be a storyteller. Welcome me with a warm hug and some nice words—a kiss or two is always welcome, if you’re a chick. then, tell me a story.)
Damn i realized i actually do that. Ill edit my chaps later.

This is a great thread

EternalSunset0

Bad spacing and formatting. Bad grammar. Besides that, I don't think there are any major issues that make me drop something.

I can't really elaborate, but I guess if the story just doesn't click with me. Or if I can't visualize things enough or there's too little action or plot progression.

Toripuru-S

(It'll probably make me sound dumb or biased considering how many stories are like this 😅)

But *sometimes* a really high chapter (several hundred+) count can be enough to stop me from picking up a story at all. With that said, if there are clear stopping points like "Volume" or "Book 1" or just anything with the chapter titles that identify where arcs begin/end, I don't hold that against any author 👍. I just don't like getting the impression that a story might be dragging it's feet.
Bad spacing and formatting. Bad grammar. Besides that, I don't think there are any major issues that make me drop something.

I can't really elaborate, but I guess if the story just doesn't click with me. Or if I can't visualize things enough or there's too little action or plot progression.
"Bad spacing and formatting. Bad grammar." 🥺

It took me a long time to figure out I was (and may still be) guilty of doing that exact thing 🤣! I'm doing my best to improve though, after someone was nice enough to provide me an honest critique 👀♥️

EternalSunset0

"Bad spacing and formatting. Bad grammar." 🥺

It took me a long time to figure out I was (and may still be) guilty of doing that exact thing 🤣! I'm doing my best to improve though, after someone was nice enough to provide me an honest critique 👀♥️
Oh :ROFLMAO:

What I mean is typing like:

"It took me a long time to figure out I was(and may still be)guilty!

I'm doing my best to improve though,after someone was....

Someone was nice enough"

Seems exaggerated but I've read a couple of stuff like that. It's not that I automatically hate the story or anything but it's hard to read stuff that's not spaced/formatted well enough.

Don't worry. I glanced through your story and you're not like that. Illustrations are super nice, too. Makes me want to read it some time.

Toripuru-S

Oh :ROFLMAO:

What I mean is typing like:

"It took me a long time to figure out I was(and may still be)guilty!

I'm doing my best to improve though,after someone was....

Someone was nice enough"

Seems exaggerated but I've read a couple of stuff like that. It's not that I automatically hate the story or anything but it's hard to read stuff that's not spaced/formatted well enough.

Don't worry. I glanced through your story and you're not like that. Illustrations are super nice, too. Makes me want to read it some time.
I'm glad you like the illustrations ♥️☺️♥️, I can't take credit for the art, but I do pass along any positive comments back to the artist(s) ♥️

(Royal Four-Ces is what I was alluding to 👀. Only a few chapters have been cleaned up so far 🧹, but that's the one I'm currently reformatting + adding ♥️EVEN MOAR♥️ art to)

And I do agree with you. Some of it can be forgiven, but if a story is hard to read because of technical problems, that will turn off people that care about that. Presentation is important.

BlackKnightX

There's a high chance I drop something when it turns their main pairing from 1:1 to harem for no reason other than having a harem and sometimes even if there's a reason for it. I just don't like harem.
I like harem, but I can totally relate to you on this one.

I remember reading “Very Pure and Ambiguous: The Prequel”. It starts off great. The mc and the love of his life finally gets together after his rebirth, and they look very cute together. But then all of a sudden, the author introduces other girls as potential harem members—it’s quite obvious at that point—and even has the main love interest express a desire for the mc to have more than one girl for some reason.

It just feels too forced. I know there’s a harem tag, and I’m all for that, but the author just makes the relationship with the main girl so strong at the beginning and then suddenly introduces other girls in a contrived way. That’s why I dropped it.

KittraMcBriar

When it becomes clear that several characters are thinly-veiled caricatures of people/types of people the author doesn’t like.

SternenklarenRitter

1) The MC falls past the moral event horizon. If they start stalking and killing their antagonists, or start killing challengers (even just bandits) they could effortlessly restrain, then I can never like or empathize with that character again. This is the most common reason I drop a story.
2) Dire lack of comic relief. Sometimes even if I like the premise and characters, the grueling slog of misfortune and loss is so constant that reading feels like digging a hole through my arm with a pencil.
3) Unintelligible. While extremely rare, sometimes the writing (or translation maybe) is so disorganized that I just can't make heads or tails of it. When this happens I drop before I finish the first chapter.
4) Extremely long story with interrupted schedule. If a story is hundreds of chapters long, but then goes on hiatus for several months or more before resuming, it can be extremely hard to figure out where I left off or even remember most of the characters' names. This is somewhat frequent, and I haven't really dropped them since I do intend to re-read them from the beginning, but they are indefinitely postponed for now.

Imahermit

When it makes no sense and is of horrible quality.

And I drop a story faster than a bullet if the author ignores basic grammar or doesn't use articles at all. I know this site is for hobbyists, but...
I write as a hobby and I use articles, how do people forget to use those? They're so simple to implement and use...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 57675

- Not genre of interest. Not interest or busy.
-Bad grammar -not just few typos, but unreadable
-Lost attention. Happens even on good stories.
-Justifying what character does when its super bad and forced - assault, killing, enslaved etc.
- Unbelievable. Don't have be realistic, but if it makes one loose braincells by character/plot...
-Uncomfortable politics/racism drips into story.