Yet another free feedback thread.

SailusGebel

Like smart MC's in a mafia setting? Check out DON!

View attachment 15014
Look, I'm not against self-promotion, and I don't mind giving you feedback. But you should read the rules and overall check the thread. Look at how I give feedback and decide whether you can handle it. If you can, say where you would like to get your feedback, here or PM.

Nhatduongg

Yuyuko Saigyouji, The Dreaming Ghost
Hello, I have another practice piece that I would be grateful if there are some opinions about it. Please DM me about your review.

Thanks a lot, have a nice day/evening.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

I might be wrong, but from what I can see, this seems like a feedback/self-promotion thread. I'm generally careful to not self-promote if it's not welcome, but from the other posts, this did not seem to be the case here. Regardless, feel free to leave feedback here. I appreciate your time.
You are wrong. It's a feedback thread, not a self-promote thread. And there are even rules. They are so simple, yet you come here and say, Like smart MC's in a mafia setting? Check out (link). How should I react to this?
Like smart MC's in a mafia setting? Check out DON!
Before I start with the feedback, I would mention that English is my second language. I stopped reading after finishing Chapter The Slighted Boy.

It's an unrevised, cringe, generic screenplay(script) for a webtoon that lacks all the details. Like, if it were a webtoon, all the necessary details would've been shown through the art instead of text. Thus it feels like I'm reading a bunch of very badly stitched tropes and cheap tricks to induce emotions in a reader(me).

The beginning is a wet dream of a fourteen years old edgy boy who had consumed so many harem romcoms that he now wants an MC with what he deems to be a 'spine'.

Why am I so harsh\rude? Well, let me elaborate.

"That's why I told you loudmouths to shut up!" And this is where I saw the first lousy usage of a trope. Why lousy? Because that old dude could've said this to his younger accomplices right from the get-go. What he says after that is cringe btw. Normal people don't talk like that. I mean that you could've phrased\worded it much better.

The most powerful gangster in the country!
and we idiots found this place to sell drugs!"
I've heard how much you despise drugs

AAAaaand despite knowing it, this old dude still chose to sell drugs here.

"Mr. Mayr. I had no idea this was your territory."
Okay, I can close my eyes that the right-hand man of the top executives of the organization didn't do any research and don't know the territory of The most powerful gangster in the country!

But he didn't even beg for forgiveness? In our simple minds, we thought it would be an easy place to make money without doing any further research."
Damn, being the right-hand man of the top executives of the organization = having a simple mind.

he barely made enough money to pay for living expenses. Because of this, moving to a completely new place with almost no money was too much of a financial risk. A cheap trick that is illogical. If their finances are so dire, do you know what would've happened? MC, his mother, or both would've started working as well. But there is a reason why she can't. Right?
She would always take an hour off from helping her husband at the restaurant when it was time for Soju to come home.

He gathered some clientele over the years, but due to the small size of his store, only having 2 tables,

She needs to help with two tables. TWO tables... this is... no comments.

"How was your day?" She asked in a joyful voice.
His mom stared at his back as he left, feeling downhearted because of all the hardships she knew her son would have to face.

His mom knows he is bullied yet she is joyful. No comments.

Another question from the same paragraphs. She knows that he is bullied. Why the fuck is he still bringing food to the school? He can't hide it from her, and by doing this he simply wastes the food. What the fuck is he doing?

But all those things I mentioned before are minor problems when compared to the next thing.

As they reached for the cutlet, Soju imagined his mom waking up early in the morning and cooking the best food they had in the house, and instead of eating it herself, choosing to give it to him.
Soju sprang towards the lunchbox and yelled "You can't have that!"

Okay, so here's the picture-perfect example of the problem I talked about in the beginning. If it was a webtoon, you would've probably foreshadowed this emotional outburst via the art. Showing sad faces of parents in flashbacks, overall showing emotions of MC and those bullies, showing small and minute details like how much love and other bullshit MC's mother poured into this meal, and so on. However, we got a problem here. It's not a webtoon.

In your text, you didn't write and show a single thing to a reader(me) to justify this. Have you shown emotions, like real emotions that I can believe? No. Have you described subtle body movements to help me picture the bullies? No. Have you described the bullies themselves? No. Do they look like bullies? No. Do they look like actual human beings? No. All I see is a very badly used trope, they are plot devices.

That's why it's at best funny, but I find it mostly dumb. If you have used money, though it's a much more overused trope, at least it's SOMEWHAT believable even on its own.

"How was the cutlet?" She asked. As soon as she asked this, Soju felt a pain in his chest I laughed here.

The 3 boys were tall, about 5 feet 10 each and well built. 5 feet 10 = tall. No comments.

Okay with this out of the way let's talk about your grammar. First things first, stop shifting the tenses all the time. I don't care if it's grammatically correct or not. Just stop.

Next are examples of typos.
The car steps about 40 meters from the warehouse. The car stops?

"You can't have that!". A typo.

Soju was about 5 feet 8 inches tall and was quite skinny This was mainly A typo? Did you forget the dot\period?

Next are examples of repetitions.
"Mr. Juts told us to make them regret what they did," One of them replied,
"I understand." Mayr replied. A repetition.

Mayr put his hand up and signalled the man to stop. Seeing the signal, A repetition.

The boy slowly opened his eyes. The boy had pale skin A repetition.

His house was small. The bathroom was small with a small toilet and bath. sat in front of a small floor table All of it from the same paragraph. Small, small, small...

These are examples, which mean there are a LOT more repetitions in the text. Seriously, you should use a thesaurus and most importantly try to use different phrases.

Next are examples of weird phrases.
Mayr began to speak to start a conversation, Weird and kinda a repetition.

The look of horror on the faces of the men became worse and worse. Weirdly worded, you can phrase this much better.

"I understand." Mayr replied. The whole paragraph that starts with this sentence is weird.

And the last example isn't exactly weird. They began to shake and their teeth began to clamp. Seriously? You could've actually described why and how they feel the fear, but you ended up using a cheap trick from a child's cartoon.

You also don't add enough details. You don't add necessary descriptions, while descriptions that are present in the text are of a subpar quality.

As usual, I didn't rate your story. But if I had to, 1.75-2 stars.

SailusGebel

you can check out my story of an eldritch abomination turned new nanny
The rules are simple. You post a link to your story, you state where you would like to receive the review\feedback, this thread, or PM, and I read your story. After I read as much as I can, I will reply to you.
I won't read three genres; GL(girls love\yuri), BL(boys love\yaoi), and GB(gender bender).

LORD_SHAXX

:blob_pat_sad: The rules are simple. You post a link to your story, you state where you would like to receive the review\feedback, this thread, or PM
alright, sorry just woke up i would like a review for the story in a PM
I think I've got it now

SailusGebel

The first half just seemed to be a bit of a petty attempt to downplay everything that was read (I mean no offense, just the vibe I got from it).
There is zero intention of downplaying, bashing, or nitpicking. I'm sorry that I used such words and phrased parts of my feedback so rudely, but unfortunately, I can't fix it. If I tried to fix those, I might change the meaning of what I wanted to convey. I know it sounds like bullshit, but I have trouble conveying my thoughts properly in my native language, so doing it in English is even harder.
5.10 being described as "tall".
I have trouble with this because MC is 5.8. I'm not sure as I use a metric system, but when I googled it, the difference between the 5.8 and 5.10 is about 5 cm. It isn't THAT big, really.
Finally, for this part, I think the issue lies with me and you, and that's reading comprehension. Granted, you've explained that English is your second language so it's understandable. Your reading comprehension seems quite off, but as a writer, it is my job to ensure that I can put my thoughts into words better, so I will improve on that as well.
For this part? Which part? Sorry but you didn't point out what you are talking about.
What's more, is that it's explained later in the story that the West side is Mc's territory, but no one knows that the town they tried to sell drugs in was Mc's hometown, as he tries to keep it a secret for the most part. Admittedly, the wording could be better to make it clearer, but I feel that the idea was pretty self-explanatory.
Wait a second. He is the most famous boss. Others should know what territory he owns so that they won't violate the borders. Like, if this town is his territory, it doesn't matter whether it's his hometown or not. If it's not his territory, a logical question is, why? Why not? To hide the fact that he cherishes it? Well, another question. If that old man thought that it was easy money to sell drugs there, why other people didn't think of it? Like, it's not logical and feels like an asspull. Excuse me for my language, I don't know a better word as I don't think a deus ex machina fits. No matter how much MC hides and protects that city from the shadows rumors will start that this city is kinda under his protection. And if the words come out, it's only natural that executives would know of it as it's a matter of life and death.

SailusGebel

Reading comprehension was the part I was referring to.
I'm sorry, but I still don't quite get what you mean.
In terms of the criticism regarding people knowing about Mc's town, It's something that I completely understand. When Mc asks the old guy "You've heard of me, it means you're no lackey." this is to imply that people under a certain level don't even know of Mayr's existence. I didn't want to elaborate on things that I could imply, and perhaps that was the wrong choice, but I felt to be the right one. If I am to explain, it's not that he is keeping his town a secret, it's that he keeps himself lowkey to the point that only other notable members in society know about his status. These 3 looked at a place on the map that had no drug dealers and thought they could sell drugs there because it's easy money. They did this because they didn't know about the existence of Mayr, and the older man who did know about his existence, never thought that someone of his level would run into him.
Again it's illogical. Why? Because people who don't know about him will keep trying to sell drugs in those territories. Why? Because it's easy money. EVEN if only a handful of top bosses of the whole country know about him, the fact that EVERY drug dealer dies as soon as that drug dealer appears in that hometown will spread like a wildfire. Imagine you are a medium-sized gang close to becoming a top gang. Some of your subordinates die there. And then I assume the leader of that gang will get some sort of a warning that he should keep himself off that territory or else he will die. What do you think, will the rumors spread? Well, what if he doesn't get a warning? The gang leader will send someone to look into the deaths of those frug dealers, which will result in more deaths of the subordinates and eventually make him understand that it's a closed-off territory, THUS, creating rumors. What if the whole gang gets wiped out? Again, rumors will start. Imagine an almost top gang got wiped out. You would want to know why.

And this is because being lowkey is unrealistic trope. And you were not able to change it with your writing. It's illogical and unrealistic, no matter how you spin it.
Generally speaking, the idea that I try to implicate is that the high level individuals that know about Mayr instruct their men to keep away from his territory. This is implicated in the sentence "I already killed sammy for not being able to control his lackeys." This implies that control involves not letting your ignorant, lower-level associates interfere with the MC's territory. When you read into the implications, then It all makes sense, imo.
And it doesn't make any sense. Because as I said, that old guy knows about Mayr.
"I'm Sammy's right-hand man, sir." The older man responded, beginning to cry, "I've heard how much you despise drugs.

If he heard how much MC despises drugs, he must have heard other info, like where is MC's territory. Why?

Generally speaking, the idea that I try to implicate is that the high level individuals that know about Mayr instruct their men to keep away from his territory. Here's why.

In the text of the story, that old man knows about MC. You tell me here(in a reply) that top brass(high level individuals) instructs their lower-leveled people. This leads us to the conclusion that your text is illogical. If that old man knows something, he should know the rest. Why? Because you that old man was instructed.

SailusGebel

I'm glad you brought the first paragraph up. Why is it that the MC is able to keep anonymity while keeping his town free of crime? As the reader, you're only given those two pieces of information (able to keep anonymity while keeping town free of crime). Now you can create headcanon and spectate as to how this is possible. You could either come to the conclusion that the MC is extremely smart in how he handles these situations, resulting in lower levels of unnecessary exposure, or you could just write it off as illogical because you can't conceive of this being a possibility. That is exactly what I intended when writing this, for people to create their own headcanon.
Have you heard of suspension of disbelief? There is only that much that I can 'forgive.' You keep saying about one thing, but you, for some reason, let go of everything else I said, which is crucial.

It's not that this one part is nitpicking on my side, and only my problem and your story is simply not for me. If you look at everything else I've written and COMBINE it, you will understand why this is a problem. Everything altogether makes me think that this is a logical mistake. Just because I didn't point out every little tiny thing and connected it altogether doesn't mean you can simply brush it off.
Just like I didn't show you every typo, the logical mistakes aren't existing on their own. Because of that, I can't discern where is a mistake and where is something intentional.

Like, okay, I suspend my disbelief. I think MC is really extremely smart, thus he is lowkey, and so on. Then I see all the mistakes with how his new mother acts, and then, I see a part that made me laugh about a cutlet. How can I keep forgiving this? I should turn off my mind and nod my head saying this is how it should be? Well excuse me, but to me, it's simply lazy writing. One thing is to let me guess, the other thing is to not write anything at all. An example of not writing anything at all is a cutlet scene. But as I said, it's an example. It doesn't mean that this scene about the old man recognizing MC has details, description, and enough foreshadowings. It has none of it. You don't give anything, literally a couple of lines, and I somehow should come to your, author's conclusion that it has some logic behind it.

I can't make a headcanon if you don't give me anything. If you don't give me anything I'm forced to use the logic of our world, not your story's world. And it leaves me with no way other than thinking your work is illogical.
P.S. it is nowhere implied that he kills all of them, but you can create that headcanon. Either he kills all of them except the ones he encountered in the story, or he doesn't kill any. Or maybe it's in between. Anything is a possibility.
Again, if you didn't understand, it was an extreme example to let you understand that there is such a thing as word of mouth. I can't think it doesn't exist because you don't give me any implications that it doesn't exist in the story. And again, as I said, I CAN pretend it doesn't exist. But with your book, I've pretended too much, and I can't do it anymore.
In regards to the second part, hearing rumours does not equate to having cold hard evidence of a certain fact.
Again. I should pretend(think) the MC is super smart, thus he is low-key. Then I should pretend(think) that there were no rumors of people being killed in MC's hometown because there should be a reason why that old man isn't afraid of selling drugs there. Then I should pretend(think) that this old man was instructed by his higher-ups. However, those higher-ups didn't tell him, that he should avoid that particular town(MC's hometown). Yes? Is that all?
Lower-level criminals are instructed to be cautious in the MC's territory, but as in any organization, they are also instructed to make money.
Nope, it's not all. Then I should make my own reasons and a description of how those gangs function, and again I should somehow come to YOUR conclusion for the story to work. M'kay.
For example, in the case of the 3 men trying to sell drugs, why were they in the west if there was protocol in place to be weary of that area? Could they have been sent on other business? Were they blinded by opportunity?
Because they are a plot device. They are a setup for a reborn MC to have some power.
"I'll decide when to collect. At some point, I might send someone to collect. They're gonna say 'sent by Don Mayr'. If they say that, you're gonna have to do whatever they say. I'm not unreasonable, so if I ask you for something, it's because I'm sure you can do it. Understand?"
A reborn MC will come to Anthony and use his previous name.
If you cannot ask these questions and you constantly need re-affirmation for every detail, then unfortunately the novel may not be for you.
There is no reason for me to ask these questions. See above.
If you cannot ask these questions and you constantly need re-affirmation for every detail, then unfortunately the novel may not be for you. If you are speaking in a subjective sense, I agree that these criticisms are detrimental to your experience, but if you are speaking as if these are objective faults, then I have to disagree.
Also, I'm not constantly seeking re-confirmation. I'm seeking something solid to base my assumptions on. Otherwise, the chance of me coming to the same conclusions as you are almost non-existent. You seem to forget that not everyone can take a peek into your head and understand what they must think for the story to make sense.

Sometimes you need to actually write stuff. As I said, a couple of dialogue lines don't give me anything. And sometimes, it gives me so much that there is no end to my questions. But here's the deal, the questions aren't interesting. There is no incentive to read further. Why should I read this instead of Second life of a Gangster or Mercenary Enrollment? They are somewhat different, but I still mentioned them because I forgot the name of the webtoon that resembles your work.

And yes, it's subjective feedback from a reader's perspective. Most things are my opinions only.

SailusGebel

I do enjoy feedback from individuals like yourself, as I prefer to hear how my story reads/looks from the Reader's POV. Other authors are nice, but my target audience is the average individual looking just to enjoy a good story. I put quite a bit more stock into that, oddly enough. I've also noticed that you put quite a bit of effort into your reviews and it's really nice to see. It is also the reason I requested Blob for a review- that raw, reader-based feedback.

Feel free to have a read and let me know what you think, whenever you have an opportunity of course; https://www.scribblehub.com/series/513014/the-blessed-child/

My story is currently undergoing revisions so feedback at this current stage would help me out the most! If you feel that you may wish for more content, whether to add to your review or if you just found yourself liking my story, you are welcome to PM me. I'll happily send you additional reading.
An obligatory reminder that English is my second language. I stopped reading after reading half of the chapter P: Into the Maw.

You said I put quite a bit of effort into my reviews. You gave me so much credit in the P.S. part. And it makes all of it even more funny and ironic. You know why? Because I've got almost nothing to say to you. Oh, the irony!

Your story is not the first one like that. If only you had looked at my thread a bit more, you would've seen that. A thing that I had forgotten to say before is that I find most printed books and traditional novels boring. I usually need to read half of the book before I start to get interested in it. And your story is not a web novel. It's a traditional printed story. And I don't want to force myself into reading your story. It's boring.

It is a chore to read. Not because it's bad but because it's not my cup of tea. The quality is mostly great, I guess? I can't judge the quality, I'm not skilled enough, and I'm not an author. I don't know what threads are currently actively giving feedback, so find them yourself and ask for feedback there.

The only couple of things I can say is that I dislike the way you write. It's a personal, subjective dislike of your style. To me, it looked like you basically wrote 2-3 different types of paragraphs and kept repeating them. Even though your paragraphs had a different meaning, described different scenes, and so on, it felt like I was reading the same thing. I felt like that since you kept repeating the paragraph structures, kept using the same phrases, worded your sentences the same way, and so on. Is this an objective mistake? I don't know.

Another thing is two mistakes.
on end. but he could A typo.

The boy reached to his neck, his fingers finding a thin rope.
The boy returned the artifact into his pocket and frowned. It was on his neck, why did you use the word returned?

And lastly a couple of weird phrases.

Hollow rang the Ravine. What? I don't understand what this means.
Feet sought purchase, Same.
His body cried for pause, Weirdly phrased.
With a heavy sound, Weirdly phrased.
silence retook its place Same.
finding a thin rope. Same.

That's all. If there are any specific questions, you can ask me. I will answer them to the best of my capabilities but don't expect much.

J_Chemist

Always a treat to see how someone sees your novel, good or bad! Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it, but I do understand the difference in taste. I originally actually went down the route of writing like a Webnovel but found it a bit outside of my ability, which was odd I found but it's okay. One of my favorite things to read are LNs and WNs but I struggle with removing a lot of details and adjusting my writing style to fit. I think I've gotten better later on in the story? Not so much in the beginning, as you've found.

Either way, I do appreciate you taking the time to look regardless and I appreciate you pointing out the errors you saw!

Be well,

-- J.C.

SailusGebel

This seems like a really neat thing to do, dude!
*Humby submits his works*
It'd be great if you could do both, but if you only do one, please let it be the first one.
Thank you~!
(Oh, and I don't really mind where you do the critique. Actually, just plop it down on this thread since it'll help you spread the word about your mean-ness!)
An Author's Survival Guide
Good day to you. Before I start with the feedback, I would mention that English is my second language. I stopped reading after finishing chapter Arc#1 Chapter 3: A Nightmare. I also want to mention that I will try to give you feedback on your second story tomorrow.

Now to the feedback, and I want to do it kinda backward. As usual, I didn't rate your story. But if I had to, 3.75 stars. Great story but not my cup of tea. And now, I will elaborate on why.

The easy part is the things that I liked. Well, I kinda liked everything from a technical point of view. The way you write, your style, or your prose, call it however you want. I like the addition of body movements, dialogues, descriptions, metaphors, and so on. What else? I liked that the characters felt alive, and their interactions felt believable and real. The plot is somewhat slow, but I don't mind a slow plot. Worldbuilding? Well, I obviously can't say much about it. Like the isekai didn't happen, so there is no point talking about the world.

How come I liked everything, but didn't give you 5 stars? Also, why did I say it's not my cup of tea? There are multiple reasons.

The first one is the characters, the protagonists. I like them as characters, but I don't like them as people. I don't want to read the story if they are going to be MCs. But there are also some small subjective claims that are close to becoming nitpicking.

The first one, Zayne doesn't act like an introvert. Yeah-yeah, I know that not every introvert is a fat, virgin slob that lives in his mother's basement. I know that. Despite that, he still acts way too much like an extravert. Maybe further down the story, I would've changed my mind. I don't know. Again, it's my subjective nitpicking.

The second one is Luna. Okay, so once I finished the first chapter, you made me dislike her. Then I read a comment saying she gives yandere vibes, and I strongly disagree with that. She acts bitchy. And then, when I read chapter three, you make me hate her. Well, obviously, I don't hate her to the point of breaking my keyboard or a monitor, but I simply don't want to read further because, in my eyes, she is a bitch. Plain and simple. The sobby flashback of how she suffered didn't make me feel sorry for her but looked like a poorly camouflaged attempt to make me feel sorry for her. It's hard to explain. I saw your intentions, and because previously she looked like a total bitch(to me), this 'nightmare' looked like you wanted to justify her, vindicate her. Can't find better words, sorry.

The third one is dialogues. I know that people who talk a lot and are part of the same social circle talk similarly. Still, I think the way your characters talk is way too similar, even identical. And it's okay if it were only MCs, but I feel like everyone else also talks way too similar. Though this is clearly nitpicking, I still wanted to say it.

Also, why did you highlight junkie's dialogue lines in the first chapter? It threw me off cause I thought maybe there was some kind of purpose.

The fourth one is your descriptions of appearances. I forgot how MCs looked the same second my eyes moved from the paragraphs that contained their descriptions. Here's an example.

Oh, goodness her face. She had features that looked like they belonged to a Goddess. Well, to start talking about it, it's kinda a repetition. Goodness-goddess. Another thing is, there are so many parts you can mention and describe to help me, a reader, portray the character, but you ended up writing generic she's beautiful as a goddess. You can mention eyes, eyelashes, eyebrows, nose, chin, dimples, moles, skin tone, the shape of the face, cheekbones, and I 100% forgot other things. Pick 1-2 or even 3 parts out of the list and describe them, help me at portraying her.

Light-brown hair, amber-colored eyes, and luscious pink lips, with an incredible bust and figure
Her long legs

This is all I've got from the text, and I think it's really lacking. Describing one striking feature would've been more memorable than blandly listing how he and she looks.

The fifth one is a couple of typos. Nothing major here.
'Oh no...' He quickly grabbed her shoulder and forced her in plance. A typo?
'Wow, that outfit is not made to cover your but at all. A typo?

The sixth one is a couple of weird phrases.
"Good fucking god, Weird.
his girlfriend of eight years. Weirdly worded.
Knock yourself out... but don't read it in my vicinity. What?
Nothing serious here, and I'm not saying it's grammar mistakes, but those phrases sound weird. At least to me.

The seventh is a small logical mistake.
Furthermore, his ruthless readers would probably use it as a pretext to make him set his future subscription prices lower!
If he didn't post one today, his patrons would start raising a fuss! And it was the final chapter too!

Why is he bothered by this if it's his last chapter?

The eighth is what you've written in the brackets.
An illustration that it took him the past two days to make! (He was a fast writer but a slow drawer.)
After he massaged his above-averagely handsome face (self-assessment)

I don't care why you used brackets. I don't care what other authors use brackets. I don't even care if it's right or wrong. To me, it's wrong and bad writing. You use a third-person POV, so you must write and explain everything in the text without any brackets. By everything I obviously mean the same things as I had shown in my examples. I'm not saying you shouldn't use brackets here. [Best Girlfriend in the World~♥ (Change it back, I dare you)]

I don't know if you used it later down the story, so I won't deduct more points, but, in my opinion, you should change those two sentences.

And that's it. I can also mention that Misha being a girl's name is strange. Misha is shortened for Mikhail in my language which is a man's name.

Oh, one last thing before I finish. The dialogue about the weather. Where I live the current temperature is around 30-32 degrees, and it's killing me. But this isn't what makes me mention this in a feedback reply. Approximately two days ago, I had the same dialogue with my dad, and I even used the same argument when I said the cold is better. Such a coincidence.

Lire

I Wanna Be, The Very Best. Like No One Ever Was!
Thanks for the feedback! :blob_melt:
Dang, you pointed out a lot of stuff that I missed.:blob_no:

'Oh no...' He quickly grabbed her shoulder and forced her in plance. A typo?
'Wow, that outfit is not made to cover your but at all. A typo?
Crap. I thought I already hunted down all the typos, but I guess not. :blob_pat_sad:
Many thanks!
plance -> place
but -> butt

The first one, Zayne doesn't act like an introvert.
Hmm... I kinda imply it with how he has only that one friend and in the last convo of the 1st chapter, Luna mentions that he pretty much stays inside all day. Going out to go to the gym is an irregular occurrence.

I do plan to dive into his introvert-edness more in future chaps, but I suppose I'll have to admit that I didn't show it enough in the beginning. Nothing I can do about this though. The plot, in the beginning, is already slow enough as it is...

The second one is Luna.

That's... unfortunate.
Oh, and about the nightmare. The characters from this novel are actually based on characters from a one-shot that I wrote when I was still in HS (I'm still in the process of rewriting it, cuz the technical issues in it are just insane).
So the tragic stuff is actually built into them already. I didn't just add them on later...

Thanks for the opinion though. I didn't even know she could be perceived as bitchy. Maybe we just have different thresholds of when to call someone a bitch. Mine's pretty high since I've met a lot of 'em.
I even live with one.:blob_wink:

The third one is dialogues.
I seemed to have gone too far with how realistic I made them. The way they talk is based on IRL convos, so yeah.
You made me realize that I should probably tone it down, seeing as this is fiction.:unsure:

Also, why did you highlight junkie's dialogue lines in the first chapter? It threw me off cause I thought maybe there was some kind of purpose.
There wasn't some kind of purpose. I just bolded it to separate speech through a phone/some other mode of communication.

The fourth one is your descriptions of appearances.
Yeahhhhhh... I'm pretty bad at this, I know. :blob_sweat:
I wanna work on that actually.

Oh, goodness her face.
This is actually a comma misplacement. Fuck, I can't believe I missed that. Thanks!
It's meant to be this: "Oh goodness, her face."

"Oh goodness" was meant more as that expression...? I dunno what they're called exactly. It's like that fancy way some people in fantasy novels exclaim. It's like one of the equivalents for "Oh my god."
Like "Good heavens!" / "Oh goodness!" or something.

Since the Narrator takes a portion of Zayne's — a Fantasy writer's — voice, then I just thought to add in bits and pieces of speech like that in the narration.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"Good fucking god, Weird.
his girlfriend of eight years. Weirdly worded.
Knock yourself out... but don't read it in my vicinity. What?
Uh... for this part, I don't really understand what's weird.
The first one. I hear this pretty often.
Okay, yeah. Maybe the second one could be worded better...
As for the third... I'm drawing blanks about what's weird.
:unsure:
Why is he bothered by this if it's his last chapter?
Because he's likely going to continue being a web-novel writer. Well, that was his plan, anyway.

I don't know if you used it later down the story, so I won't deduct more points, but, in my opinion, you should change those two sentences.
I guess that's true. I should probably fix that.
I could remove the text in the first parentheses entirely, since it's kinda irrelevant.
And the second one can be something along the lines of:
After he massaged his — in his humble opinion — above-averagely handsome face

Oh, and no, I don't think I use parentheses later down the story...
I should check my backlog just in case though.
Misha is shortened for Mikhail in my language which is a man's name.
Oh, what...? Srsly? :oops:

I actually just based the name on Masha, from mobile legends. One of my friends misread her name, and it kinda became an inside joke after that.
lol:blobrofl:
I mean, it sounded feminine enough, so I rolled with it.
Oh, one last thing before I finish. The dialogue about the weather. Where I live the current temperature is around 30-32 degrees, and it's killing me. But this isn't what makes me mention this in a feedback reply. Approximately two days ago, I had the same dialogue with my dad, and I even used the same argument when I said the cold is better. Such a coincidence.
Wow, another coincidence.😮

Here where I'm from, it's hot even when it's supposed to be cold. 30-32 is kinda meh. It goes up to 40+ in the summers.
Even though I've freaking lived here all my life, I hate the heat too.
The convo was something I made up by channeling my hatred for hot weather.:blobchristmas:

─┉┈◈◉◈┈┉┈┈┉┈◈◉◈┈┉┈┈┉┈◈◉◈┈┉─​

Well, that's that! Thanks for the free feedback!:blob_melt:
You mentioned how a bunch of what you said are nitpicks, but that's cool. I already went into this expecting subjective stuff.
I got a lot out of it though.

I don't really wanna go on a back n' forth like that other guy somewhere above me, so you can just leave this reply as is. (unless you really wanna expand on something I just wrote.)
Besides, it's 3am rn, and I don't have the energy to trade verbal jabs with someone who can probably out-rude me. lol
Nor do I intend to, seeing as there wasn't anything unreasonable here.

Thanks for agreeing to do two at once! That other one is even rougher than this one, so I'm gonna prepare myself.
Also, as you've repeatedly shown in past feedbacks, you'll probably dislike it as a default. Seeing as the characters, in the beginning, are Japanese. And as you can most likely tell, wasn't written by someone who's Japanese.:blob_sweat:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What can I say, I'm a fan of anime.
Again, thank you, and have a wonderful rest-of-your-day.
(Accidentally made this part rhyme)​

Last edited:

SailusGebel

I seemed to have gone too far with how realistic I made them. The way they talk is based on IRL convos, so yeah.
You made me realize that I should probably tone it down, seeing as this is fiction.:unsure:
They are good most of the time, and I like how realistic they are. However, both MCs, a junkie, Zayne's friend, and even a random dude, who was hitting on Luna, have similar speech patterns and use similar words, phrases, and jargon. This is what I wanted to point out. I get it that those who dabble in drugs are bound to use similar words and jargon, but it's only a part of what I deem to be a problem. The whole dialogue lines(sentences) should be SLIGHTLY altered for a couple of characters. Because even though you use the same words, memes, same phrases, you are going to word your sentences somewhat differently, no matter how long you've been together. And I remind you, I'm only three chapters in. Considering there is going to be isekai, maybe this problem will disappear.
This is actually a comma misplacement. Fuck, I can't believe I missed that. Thanks!
It's meant to be this: "Oh goodness, her face."

"Oh goodness" was meant more as that expression...? I dunno what they're called exactly. It's like that fancy way some people in fantasy novels exclaim. It's like one of the equivalents for "Oh my god."
Like "Good heavens!" / "Oh goodness!" or something.
Actually, I missed that one as well. My mind automatically corrected that, and I've read the correct version. I understood what this meant. When I copy-pasted that, I wanted to mention that you use some kind of god-something in two sentences, my goodness, and goddess. It's kinda a repetition, but I'm not sure. And then, I proceed to list the things you could've used to describe her, but you've already addressed the point about descriptions.
Uh... for this part, I don't really understand what's weird.
The first one. I hear this pretty often.
Okay, yeah. Maybe the second one could be worded better...
As for the third... I'm drawing blanks about what's weird.
:unsure:
Perhaps I forgot, but I think it's my first time hearing good fucking god. The third one, I don't understand what that means.
Because he's likely going to continue being a web-novel writer. Well, that was his plan, anyway.
Well, yes, and no. Since it's the last chapter, readers won't be able to bash him. Because at the time of writing that last chapter, they don't know whether MC would continue writing or not. And no matter what he does, he will get less money because his current project is over. No more missed deadlines. But at the same time, there won't be new chapters, so with each passing day, getting those extra chapters will be less valuable for readers. To me, this doesn't make sense. But it's me.
And the second one can be something along the lines of:
After he massaged his — in his humble opinion — above-averagely handsome face
Yeah, this is good.
Oh, what...? Srsly? :oops:

I actually just based the name on Masha, from mobile legends. One of my friends misread her name, and it kinda became an inside joke after that.
lol:blobrofl:
I mean, it sounded feminine enough, so I rolled with it.
Yeah, Masha is a woman's name.

Anyway, I don't think I will reply further to this particular feedback as there is no more for me to clarify or say. And as I said, most of it is nitpicks. For example, the dialogues. I don't want you to make them worse because I said something. I like them as they are right now. I think your dialogues MIGHT benefit from just a tiny little bit of tweaking, but it's a very subjective opinion, and I can be wrong.

I think we can end it here. Wait for the second feedback.

SailusGebel

Glimpse of Eternity
If you end up reviewing the second one too, please take note that I'm in the middle of editing Arc#1. I plan to shorten some stuff :)
Thanks again!:giggle:
Good day to you. Before I start with the feedback, I would again mention that English is my second language. I stopped reading after finishing chapter Arc#1 Chapter 1: All Was Well… Until It Wasn’t (1).

Yes, I dislike the Japanese MC. Nevertheless, I don't usually deduct points when I rate stories simply because there are Japanese elements in the story. Usually, it affects whether I will continue reading the story or not.

Another thing that I forgot to mention in the previous feedback because of that freaking heat is comedy. This story and the previous one didn't make me smile even once. This is obviously a subjective difference in taste. But it's something that makes me stop reading the story. Not only do I stop reading, but I usually avoid stories with comedy in their tags because 99% of such stories are simply unfunny. Though most of the time, I don't deduct points if the story is unfunny.

And because I mentioned points two times, it will be appropriate to talk about rating. As usual, I didn't rate your story. But if I had to, 3 stars.
When in your reply, you said that this story would be even rougher, I'm not sure we thought of the same thing, but I agree with the statement.
The first story was easy to read. I liked almost everything from the technical point of view, but in this story, not so much. I've had a feeling that it was written by a different person. The way you write, your style, or your prose, call it however you want, as a whole, is much worse, in my opinion.

Even when the curtains and the blinds were slowly closing shut, he didn't want to waste a single second being awake at the moment, so he turned over to avoid the Sun who seemed to be trying its best to annoy him. I just don't like this sentence. It doesn't sound right to me and I think you can word it better.

'In the first place, I already secretly tried drinking when I was seventeen. I drank so much and barely felt anything.' Kyouka secretly thought. This is a repetition.

After giving his savior his brief but heartfelt gratitude, I don't like this part.

A casual glance would immediately make one wonder if a king was confined there. This doesn't sound as pleasant.

Those things I highlighted with bold just don't feel right, and I can't say I'm nitpicking because the whole text is like that. As a reader, I can't and won't say why this is wrong. I just stated that I don't like the way you write this story.

And you said it yourself that you are in the middle of editing. So I can't say much about it considering how I liked the other story. You also have the same problem with the description of appearances when you described the MC's sister, but we already talked about this in the previous feedback. And the previous feedback also showed that you can fix this. an affluent (and quite "cultured") person lived.

Because you have a Japanese MC, the comedy, and the fact that I dislike the writing, I don't want to force myself into reading this. So, yeah, this is the end of the feedback as I can't say more.

Lire

I Wanna Be, The Very Best. Like No One Ever Was!
Thanks again!
The way you write, your style, or your prose, call it however you want, as a whole, is much worse, in my opinion.
Yeah~ haha. This was my first story after all. I also think it's a whole lot worse.:blob_sweat:

I usually avoid stories with comedy in their tags because 99% of such stories are simply unfunny.
:blob_hmm_two:
The first one had the tag, but this one didn't have the tag though...? I wasn't going for any comedy in this one.

Those things I highlighted with bold just don't feel right, and I can't say I'm nitpicking because the whole text is like that.
No, you're not nitpicking. Now that they're isolated like this, they feel weird to me too.:sweat_smile:

Well, that's that. Thanks for the advice!