Yet another free feedback thread.

Edd99

Good day to you. Before I start with the feedback, I would mention that English is my second language. I stopped reading after finishing Chapter The Initialization.

Before I start talking about the novel itself, I will mention that you suffer from the same problems as the previous novel. Your synopsis, tags, cover, and title are lackluster, to say the least.

Why should I read your story? Imagine I'm a random reader. I see a very bland cover but decide to give it a try. Next, I see your synopsis, which consists of one UNFINISHED sentence. Next, I look at the tags, and there is almost nothing there as well. There is nothing that would help me to gauge what to expect from a story. Right from the get-go, it screams at me that the story is generic.

But it's not the end. I look at the number of chapters, and there are two available chapters. So I will repeat the question. Why should I read your story? There is no incentive. Why, out of all the available novels, should I pick yours?

I literally copypasted what I've written in previous feedback. The previous novel has a combination of action+adventure+fantasy genres. Your novel has action+adventure+fantasy. Out of two novels with the same problems and presentation, why should I choose yours? What sets your story apart? A couple of tags that don't tell me anything?

I understand it's your first time writing. Work on the presentation because currently, it won't attract readers.

Now to your story. It's badly written, and one chapter was enough to see glaring mistakes in the story and your writing. But before I start with the main problems, I will quickly mention your grammar.

Here are a couple of examples of different mistakes.

He took stock of his surroundings, What? Typo?

Then, he leaned out to hold the door shut., A typo.

had knocked his gun away. and was on top of him. A typo?

He panicked, and tried to grab a knife, however, he couldn’t as his arms would not stay still. What?

Those are a couple of examples which means that there are probably more in the text. You have to excuse me, but I'm not in the shape right now, so I won't be able to show more examples. I probably missed more because when I was reading I felt like something was wrong, but I won't insist.

Now to the part that's actually bad. It's illogical. Your story is illogical. Even if you say it's fiction, the suspense of disbelief, and every other excuse you can come up with, it doesn't deny the fact that it's illogical.

Let's start with the easy part.

This was Derek's last job. After this, he was going to finally leave the order, and become a semi-normal member of society! All he had to do, was finish one job. One assassination. One target. After that, he was free! Derek had so many plans laid out for what he wanted to do. After all, he had enough money to retire at 30.

What happens next?
The more the voice said, the more Derek’s eyes lit up. His skills as an assassin would be perfect here!

So, instead of freaking out that he was so close to retirement, freaking out that he ended up who knows where, lamenting that he should continue his life of killing, and so on, he is excited. Even though he had SO MANY PLANS.

Btw, if you say that he is a trained assassin and won't let his emotions stir so easily, I will, first of all, say, BULLSHIT, and then I will simply use your own text.

Derek’s heart raced as he crept through the window into the house.

His look of satisfaction quickly changed to one of horror as brain matter and blood sprayed all over him.

He shows emotions. This means, that him being happy when he was put who knows where is fucking illogical.

Another illogical thing is obviously the way he assassinates, and the way that assassination was written.

Derek Hunt, a former assassin working for the American government

And apparently, an assassin working for the American government has a gas mask, a gas grenade, and... custom-made Tec-9, with an illegal full-auto modification.

He works for the government. First of all, writing that there is an illegal modification is absolutely wrong. You should've written something like, "a full-auto modification on Tec-9 would usually be illegal, but working for the government had its perks."

Secondly, the fact that he fucking assassinates people with Tec-9 and a SINGLE grenade is absolutely unbelievable and illogical.

He can't control his emotions while on the job, and the fact that he felt HORROR after seeing brain matter and blood are also stupid and illogical. Disgust is the most negative emotion he should feel, not freaking horror.

And after talking about how your story is illogical, I will add another problem. You don't add ANY details, ANY descriptions, ANY metaphors. It's always action, after action, after action, after action. He did that, then he did this, and ended up doing that.

It makes me feel like he acts in a vacuous space.

An example of what I mean would also add to the number of illogical things you've written.

Derek dashed across the width of the hallway, while somehow making no noise, and pressed his body against a little cubby on the other side. Derek sighed in relief. He then pulled out a circular object from his belt, leaned over, rolled it in, and closed the door. Then, he leaned out to hold the door shut.,
Derek pulled with all his strength as the door was being desperately pulled from the other side. Just as he was about to lose the contest of strength, the pulling suddenly stopped. Derek reprimanded himself for cutting it so close.

The reason for copying so much of your text is to explain something. You didn't describe the home of a terrorist at all. And if I look at what I was given(text in bold) I HAVE to assume a couple of things.

1. ALL bodyguards were in a little cubby with no exception.

2. The cubby had NO windows, no backdoor, no nothing. Only one door.

3. The bodyguards don't know how to scream, nor do they know how to use walkie-talkies or other means of communication.

4. Is the most stupid thing ever but before mentioning it I must use your text again.

Derek took a deep breath and moved into the smoke. Derek looked around, sweeping the immediate area around him. From what he could see, which was only a meter in every direction, all the guards were down. Derek had no pity for them. They knew what might happen when they guarded somebody like this.
Derek looked around for Mujahid’s body but couldn’t see it.

Not only ALL BODYGUARDS were in the cubby, but the target was ALSO in the cubby. I can only facepalm to this.

As usual, I didn't rate your story. But if I had to, 1.5 stars. In my opinion, with the way you write, you should switch to first-person POV. Currently, you don't write anything besides the thoughts and actions of the MC. So I see no reason why you can't rewrite it, add some description from MC's POV, and call it a day.
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/530098-assassins-apocalypse/chapter/538914/ Here is the updated link, after extensive rewriting. I'm sure its still not that good but hopefully it is a bit better. It also explains why his home is good

SailusGebel

https://www.scribblehub.com/read/530098-assassins-apocalypse/chapter/538914/ Here is the updated link, after extensive rewriting. I'm sure its still not that good but hopefully it is a bit better. It also explains why his home is good
The problem with the lack of tags\genres is still present. About tags and genres. By adding more, you effectively make your story more likely to pop up in search. Let's say a random reader looks for a certain tag, and your story has this trope(tag), but you didn't put the tag in a storyboard. Can that reader find your novel in a search? Of course not.

Think about what tags and genres will fit your story. Think about what you can add without spoiling a lot, but also make sure that readers might gauge what to expect. It's somewhat tricky to balance, but it helps in promotion a lot.

The synopsis is a bit better but still underwhelming.
"He has the ability to steal other people's abilities" First of all, a repetition.

What will our protagonist do? Secondly, there is a problem with this question. The reason why it's a problem is that I don't care. A couple of previous sentences from your synopsis tell me that MC is OP. Which is why I don't care what MC is going to do. Why? Because I know that he will win. No matter what is going to happen.

You see, even if he is OP, you should at least try to write it like he isn't. Kinda like Japanese writers do when they say something like this in their synopsis. "How could our MC survive if his skill is simple woodcarving?" And then, in the story, you get to know that it was a big fat lie and that skill is a big fucking cheat and a plot armor. MC ends up being able to carve some bullshit op wood or something like that.

Moreover, why should I choose your story with OP MC instead of others that has like 100+ chapters?

Lastly, your prose is still lacking, to say the least. I will show you an example by using a description of a hero's skill from Dota 2. In Dota 2, almost every skill has two descriptions, one with actual description and one with lore\fluff description, but I will only mention one skiil. I will use the dragon knight's first skill called Breathe Fire.

Unleashes a breath of fire in front of Dragon Knight that burns enemies and reduces the damage their attacks deal.

Knight Davion's breath has become that of the mighty Eldwurm Slyrak, remembered for burning numerous other knights to a crisp.

When I read your synopsis, it's like I read the first highlighted paragraph or, if you didn't understand, an actual explanation of how the skill works. But the thing is, your synopsis should be more like the second paragraph, like lore\fluff description. Don't just give me a dry explanation of who MC is and how his skill works.

About your story. Use Grammarly and\or google docs editor.

I am finally going to finally leave. Repetition in the second sentence of the chapter.

I have so many plans laid out for what he wanted to do. What?

that the ladder was ready. My heart raced as I scaled the back of the house with a ladder.
I cursed as my foot slipped on the rusty ladder, but carried on.
A triple repetition in four sentences.

I straightened up, and carefully think about my next move. I straightened up and carefully THOUGHT about my next move.

of a now deceased Filipino security contractor. and risk a more immediately risky gunfight, Typo?

There are a lot more different mistakes and typos. Grammarly and\or google docs will help you with the most obvious mistakes and typos you've missed unintentionally. It won't take that much of your time.

As for your writing, it's much better. The descriptions are now present, I like the added details, and there are no more logical mistakes. At least I didn't notice any.

But there are still mistakes.

As it's a reader's feedback, I will tell my personal dislike. I don't like it when all the paragraphs have the same length. When I was reading, more than once did I feel like you should've split or combined your sentences in paragraphs differently. Try to work on your paragraphing. Sometimes it's okay to have a one-sentence paragraph or an opposite, a very long paragraph. Another thing, you can add onomatopoeia as breaks between the paragraphs. For example, onomatopoeia for the floor squeaking or MC grunting.

Something more objective. Work on your vocabulary and the way you phrase sentences. Try to use different words and, most importantly, phrases. Repetitions are unavoidable but try to spread them throughout the chapter.

And lastly, you've added WAY too many details in the beginning. I know it's contradictory to the thing I said before, but it's how I feel. You should think hard while editing and cut off unnecessary stuff. Not only small details\descriptions but also depictions of action\movements that are useless. It's hard to balance, but if you want to improve, you have to do it.

Btw, this is one of the problems that I have. Whenever I write a chapter, I tend to over-describe the actions. But most of the time, readers don't need it. As a plus, when you get rid of those unnecessary lines of action\movement descriptions, you get some space to write more fitting and necessary details, describe the emotions and add metaphors.

Don't let this discourage you though. As I said, you've improved a lot.

Sahrynar

I would also love a review when you get the chance! I'm a little afraid so can I ask you to DM me if you hate it, and post here if you like it? 😆
I only have the first three chapters polished, but have written about 2.5 books in this series. I've been debating if I should upload the rest of the rough chapters or not. Although they are readable, they are very clearly first drafts, but I don't have the time atm to fix them. Please also let me know if you think I should upload the rest or wait until I have time to edit them more.
Thank you in advance for your help! 😊

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/...rech-book-one-of-the-guardians-of-lajen-saga/

D

Deleted member 93348

Not sure if OP still checks this thread. But I’d love any feedback for my isekai fantasy right here. I’ve written it for six months now in RR, and I publish revised chapters here on SH. So as the story goes on, it might be next to unreadable.

Warning: chapters 17-32 are one giant backstory that I intend to change for the better. For real, I’ll separate them in half in the future. It’s best that you read the SH version instead.

P.S. I know you hate people who appropriate the Japanese language. So let me emphasize what I noted in my synopsis: none of them are for aesthetics. Like deadass, two of my six MCs were from Japan, and there’s a nation in the otherworld founded by reincarnated Japanese people before them. It helps that this occurred millions of years ago.

All in all, my names have meaning, even with someone named Larry or Hans. So don’t fucking @ me on this one, B.

Last edited by a moderator:

SailusGebel

I would also love a review when you get the chance! I'm a little afraid so can I ask you to DM me if you hate it, and post here if you like it? 😆
I only have the first three chapters polished, but have written about 2.5 books in this series. I've been debating if I should upload the rest of the rough chapters or not. Although they are readable, they are very clearly first drafts, but I don't have the time atm to fix them. Please also let me know if you think I should upload the rest or wait until I have time to edit them more.
Thank you in advance for your help! 😊

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/...rech-book-one-of-the-guardians-of-lajen-saga/
Good day to you. Before I start with the feedback, I would mention that English is my second language. I've read all available chapters, the last one being A Dagger in the Dark.

I'm neutral towards your novel, or to be more precise, I'm not interested. As for uploading your chapters, I don't know. If you want to, upload them. I can't give you any advice about this as it's a reader's feedback. But I will make an exception and give you a tip. If you do decide to upload all chapters, don't release all of them at once. 3-4 chapters a week will maximize the number of views you can get.

And lastly, can't you edit one chapter a week and release it? Or you don't have any spare time at all?

Now to your story, and I will start with the downsides. First of all, there are lots of weird phrases in the story.

Examples.
Thomas would not think her abnormal. What?

They both jumped as the door banged open, admitting her two younger sisters, What?

“I know, Lila,” Her mother interrupted. “I’m not simple.” Weirdly phrased

“I think it’s time you found yourself a husband and moved on, Lila.” Maybe moved out?

After a moment that seemed an eternity, That seemed LIKE (an) eternity?

She couldn’t make herself care what happened now. Weirdly phrased.

It almost felt as though it weren’t her own desire, but she found herself starting to take a step anyway. Weirdly phrased.

The rust red dress she wore was tight, showing off her curving figure. Weirdly phrased.

“Having unnatural powers?” Lila said hoarsely despite herself. What?

I didn't bother to show examples from the third chapter, and I obviously didn't copy-paste every weird phrase. As a reader, I would prefer it if you change and rewrite those phrases. I can bear it when the sentence is weird, but your story has more than a few completely unintelligible sentences\phrases.

Another downside, you concentrate on action way too much. I would've preferred it if you cut some of the unnecessary depictions of MC's movements. Instead, I would like more portrayals of the surroundings, small details, and descriptions of emotions since you use a third-person POV. A couple more metaphors that aren't weird would be a nice addition as well.

A couple of small logical mistakes.

She took a deep breath and tried to calm herself, while she wondered why and how her eyes could change color with her emotions. How did she know that emotions change her eye color? Or did I miss it?

“I got so tired of explaining meself all the time that I converted just so I wouldnae have tae worry on it any longer.” She simply converted in medieval times like it's nothing? Seriously?

And lastly, of course, peasants\citizens in medieval England have surnames?

As an upside, I can mention that your grammar is okay, at least in my eyes. I didn't stumble upon typos or glaring mistakes. Which actually makes those weird phrases\sentences all the worse. Your novel is relatively easy to read, but whenever I stumbled upon those sentences, I ruined my tempo and had to reread parts to understand them or to look if I missed something.

Character, worldbuilding, plot? I can't say much about all of it. I've only read three chapters, and it's nearly not enough to make an opinion. I can probably mention that I have a feeling your story is too fast. Because you mostly depict MC's movements(actions), you almost skip some scenes. Thus I feel like the story is somewhat rushed and disjointed.

As usual, I didn't rate your story. But if I had to, 3 stars. Before your heart breaks, so far, I didn't rate anything higher than 4 stars out of 5.

SailusGebel

Good day to you. Before I start with the feedback, I would mention that English is my second language. I've read all available chapters, the last one being Chapter 1 Okay, this hardly can´t get any weirder.

Your story has only two genres, comedy, and sci-fi. I've seen sci-fi(kinda), but I haven't seen comedy. There was not a single thing that made me smile, though I cringed a couple of times.

The grammar and the paragraphing are atrocious. Use something like Grammarly or google docs editor and see it yourself. Everything in the brackets, except for the 'smileys,' is a sign of bad writing. Also, the second part of the chapter felt extremely rushed.

There isn't anything else I can write. You can assume that everything that I didn't mention is okay. However, it's a reader's feedback, and as a reader, I value everything that I mentioned a lot. Thus if I had to, I would've rated your story 1.5-1.75 stars. But as usual, I didn't rate your story.

MichaelKiuchi

Good day to you. Before I start with the feedback, I would mention that English is my second language. I've read all available chapters, the last one being Chapter 1 Okay, this hardly can´t get any weirder.

Your story has only two genres, comedy, and sci-fi. I've seen sci-fi(kinda), but I haven't seen comedy. There was not a single thing that made me smile, though I cringed a couple of times.

The grammar and the paragraphing are atrocious. Use something like Grammarly or google docs editor and see it yourself. Everything in the brackets, except for the 'smileys,' is a sign of bad writing. Also, the second part of the chapter felt extremely rushed.

There isn't anything else I can write. You can assume that everything that I didn't mention is okay. However, it's a reader's feedback, and as a reader, I value everything that I mentioned a lot. Thus if I had to, I would've rated your story 1.5-1.75 stars. But as usual, I didn't rate your story.
Good day to you too SailusGebel, thank you for taking the time of reviewing my first chapter. English is also my second language so I was aware that I´ll have to do a lot of polishing. First time I hear of Grammarly and google docs, thanks for letting me know. I´ll check it out asap and will do something about the brackets. =) Sorry to see that it didn´t make you smile, I invite you to give it a second try in.... let us say half a year? I´m gonna polish it and add more chapters. Thank you so far :biggrin_s:(y)

Last edited:

Yetano

Hello there, new author here. Sorry for intruding, but i'm looking for someone who'd be Descriptive in their Criticism on reviews. Just released an Isekai story with contemporary setting, so it will include guns while also not deviating from swords and magic, maybe artillery too in the near future.
Genre is mainly Fantasy, Slice-of-Life, Comedy.
Story-pacing is in the middle, not too slow or fast, but it does starts from being a little child again, so things will be from basically Rudeus-wannabe.

It'd be appreciated if you were to give me your opinion on this, and if you can, be honest and constructive as possible as you could. That's it, thanks~.

Yet Another One : A Science-Fantasy Isekai

SailusGebel

P.S. I know you hate people who appropriate the Japanese language.
Nope, you are wrong. I don't care about appropriate or whatnot. There is a couple of what I deemed to be obvious reasons why I hate it. The most important one is, why should I read work with Japanese elements in it from a non-Japanese? After all, there are so many Japanese light\web novels, so many mangas out there.

Another reason that comes from the first one. You can't offer me anything other than generic tropes. Why should I read work with Japanese elements if you don't know anything about Japanese culture?

And before you can say anything, here's the next reason. I don't believe you. I don't believe that you did enough research, and whatever you write to me in a reply wouldn't be able to convince me. How did you say? Like deadass, you won't be able to convince me.

So, you didn't do enough research, which also means that your names with meanings like 'Blue, free sky' or 'Snowy field' might have translations(and other meanings) like 'Dickbutt' and 'Sweaty ass.' Which makes me cringe.

The fact that the Japanese language is significantly different from any indo-european language doesn't help. There are more reasons, and I can obviously elaborate on everything that I've already written, but I don't want to spend more of my time on useless things.

Not sure if OP still checks this thread. But I’d love any feedback for my isekai fantasy right here. I’ve written it for six months now in RR, and I publish revised chapters here on SH. So as the story goes on, it might be next to unreadable.

Warning: chapters 17-32 are one giant backstory that I intend to change for the better. For real, I’ll separate them in half in the future. It’s best that you read the SH version instead.
Good day to you. Before I start with the feedback, I would mention that English is my second language. I stopped reading after finishing Chapter 1: Bloodstained Roads. And I can't give any feedback to you. Because I didn't understand a thing.

Not only that, your novel is the champion when it comes to negative readability. It was so hard to read that I spent nearly an hour trying to finish your prologue and chapter 1. After an hour of trying to comprehend 3500-3700 words, I ultimately lost. I can't read it anymore. In my eyes, it's just a bunch of disjointed words and sentences stitched together.

An example. Stars for lunch, who would’ve thought, she shrugged. Yet still, a heavenly transfigured smörgåsbord with every finger lick. What does this mean? Even after googling what smörgåsbord means, those sentences still don't make any sense. She is unamused by stars for lunch. Why do you use 'yet still?' Why do you add with every finger lick? What does this mean?

A third paragraph of the story, and I already can't understand a thing. I've tried to reread the whole paragraph a couple of times, I even tried to reread the previous two paragraphs as well, but it still doesn't make any sense.

I won't insist that it's you who wrote the story so badly that it's hard to understand. Yet I must mention one thing. Your style of writing, the way you write, your prose, or whatever other words you want to use reminded me of something. It reminded me of Tahm Kench's teaser trailer. Tahm Kench's teaser was extremely easy to understand, and your story is not. Maybe it's my misconception, but if you do write in the same style, then it's your fault for making it hard to understand. If not, then it's me and my English.

I obviously won't rate it in any way because I can't rate what I deem to be gibberish.

D

Deleted member 93348

If not, then it's me and my English.
Yup, you hit the nail on that part. I ain’t sugarcoating any of your feedback. Because honestly, I’m a bit disappointed. English isn’t my first language either, but I’ve trained myself for years. So let me simplify what you read: breadcrumbs storytelling. It’s not just paragraphs you should piece together, but every dialogue. Think Dark Souls, Hollow Knight, and Legend of Zelda.

Now, why would I write this way in what should be like a light novel? Simple. Showing instead of telling is way better, even for light novels. Believe me that my unrevised chapters are more like a pile of info dumps than a story. Lastly, none of this has anything to do with readability. If it were “negative readability” (whatever that means), you’d have run-on sentences that never end, and even make less sense. So please, I hope you don’t equate that to your grasp of a second language next time.

Why do you add with every finger lick? What does this mean?
Do you have KFC in your country? If you’ve heard even one of their commercials, that’s all you need to know.
So, you didn't do enough research, which also means that your names with meanings like 'Blue, free sky' or 'Snowy field' might have translations(and other meanings) like 'Dickbutt' and 'Sweaty ass.' Which makes me cringe.
Bruh, since when the fuck did the Japanese words for blue, sky, and snow had euphemisms for “dickbutt” and “sweaty ass”? I’d say you made me laugh my ass off, but you never did. To tell the truth, I came here because you proclaimed to be the rudest guy in this thread. But all I got were immature accusations that weren’t even worth trying to decry me for.

All in all, I’m still disappointed. An in-depth analysis would’ve been nice, even a full-on roast for at least one chapter. Every other feedback had given me inciteful paragraphs that would last the entire thread. And guess what, half of them didn’t have English as their first language.

Last edited by a moderator:

SailusGebel

Lastly, none of this has anything to do with readability. If it were “negative readability” (whatever
Sorry for phrasing this weirdly. I meant that it's extremely hard to read, and I stand by this. That's actually the point. Not only people who train for years to be able to understand this but also readers like me and those who know English even worse will stumble upon your novel.

So saying that it's FULLY the reader's fault for not understanding your story is weird. If you want more readers, you should make it more accessible to everyone. There are actually people who use translators to read English works. Yes, it's weird, but it's true, and if you don't believe this point, I can show you screenshots.

To make you understand even more, I will show you how that second sentence from my example translates to my native language and then back into English. However, the divine transfigured smurfjord licks every finger. Can you understand that sentence? Well, neither do I, and it basically has this meaning even without me translating it back and forth. It's gibberish.

Though, if you don't care how many people actually read your story, you obviously can do whatever you want. You might as well aim for those who know English a lot better. You are not the first person in this thread who (in my opinion) aims for that kind of reader.
Do you have KFC in your country? If you’ve heard even one of their commercials, that’s all you need to know..
I haven't seen the commercial for KFC in my country for four or five years, and the last time I did, there wasn't anything remotely closer. Also, it's 'Finger Licking Good,' not 'Finger Lickin.'
Bruh, since when the fuck did the Japanese words for blue, sky, and snow had euphemisms for “dickbutt” and “sweaty ass”?
It was an exaggerated example to illustrate what I mean.
I’d say you made me laugh my ass off, but you never did. To tell the truth, I came here because you proclaimed to be the rudest guy in this thread.
It was a half-joke. You are new, so you obviously don't know this, but I'm not the rudest here. It's a joke for those who know it. The second reason is to warn people who can't take criticism or has very thin skin.
But all I got were immature accusations that weren’t even worth trying to decry me for.
Accusations? There were no accusations. I simply shared my opinion from a reader's perspective.
All in all, I’m still disappointed. An in-depth analysis would’ve been nice, even a full-on roast for at least one chapter. Every other feedback had given me inciteful paragraphs that would last the entire thread. And guess what, half of them didn’t have English as their first language.
So what? Just because others did, I have to do the same?

D

Deleted member 93348

Yeah, I must say you do have a point with the prose and all. It’s mostly because one reviewer on my RR page believed passive voice was always “bad.” Sure, he was right about omitting excessive adverbs, but still. This is an easy fix, so meh.
Accusations? There were no accusations. I simply shared my opinion from a reader's perspective.
I’m not here to complicate what I just said, but comparing Japanese names that mean sky or snow to “dickbutt” or “sweaty ass” is disingenuous at best, immature at worst. Even if “exaggerated,” you made it sound like I did zero research when I outright stated in my synopsis that I don’t pick names randomly. I don’t just write Japanese names ffs. But since you explicitly stated I can’t convince you otherwise, I won’t waste my time on this.
So what? Just because others did, I have to do the same?
Well, when I saw “feedback thread,” I thought you’d give the bare minimum. You could’ve told me some in-depth flaws like the others on my DMs, and even from another feedback thread. I came here for insight, to improve myself as a writer. Not hear someone say “dickbutt” unironically. And about your rant about Japanese names, them being thematic to the character is basic knowledge in Asian writing. Hell, there are even many Western authors that dabble with thematics.

SailusGebel

I’m not here to complicate what I just said, but comparing Japanese names that mean sky or snow to “dickbutt” or “sweaty ass” is disingenuous at best, immature at worst. Even if “exaggerated,” you made it sound like I did zero research when I outright stated in my synopsis that I don’t pick names randomly. I don’t just write Japanese names ffs. But since you explicitly stated I can’t convince you otherwise, I won’t waste my time on this.
So, you skipped everything I wrote there besides 'Dickbutt?' I said you couldn't convince me that you did enough research. I didn't accuse you; I said I wouldn't believe in this. And it's not something exclusively for you. Every non-Japanese author who writes a web novel with Japanese elements won't be able to convince me.
Well, when I saw “feedback thread,” I thought you’d give the bare minimum. You could’ve told me some in-depth flaws like the others on my DMs, and even from another feedback thread. I came here for insight, to improve myself as a writer. Not hear someone say “dickbutt” unironically.
Who decides what a bare minimum is? A feedback =\= criticism. If you've read that I claimed I'm the rudest here, you should've also read what I wrote in the second paragraph. It means that I will review your stories based on my feelings rather than technicalities, and I will do it as a reader, not as an author.

And I gave you a huge insight. I, as a reader, want to read something that is easier to understand, and I'm not alone. If you want more readers, it's huge because no one probably said it to you, and you didn't even though that there are readers like me. You said, "Every other feedback had given me inciteful paragraphs that would last the entire thread. And guess what, half of them didn’t have English as their first language."

Everyone who gave you reviews probably did that as reviewers and authors. They talked about characters, plot and so on, it's great. But I said I'm a shit author, and I do my feedback as a reader. A casual reader of web fiction. A casual normie reader who seeks entertainment and is a part of the majority of all readers.
And about your rant about Japanese names, them being thematic to the character is basic knowledge in Asian writing. Hell, there are even many Western authors that dabble with thematics.
I know that, and I try to give meaning to the names of my characters as well. So what? Why are you saying this? Does your desire to give meaning to a character's name allow you to use a Japanese name? In my eyes, no. If you are okay with it, go ahead and do it. It's not like I rated your novel 1 star because of that. I simply stated my personal and extremely subjective dislike. I'm not sure, but I think I've always stated that it's a very subjective dislike. Why you are acting so defensive towards this is beyond me.

D

Deleted member 93348

I won’t talk about how you gave me feedback as a reader, because there were some points I agreed with. All you should know is that I’m not looking for more readers because it’s only my hobby. Instead, I’ll talk about this:
Does your desire to give meaning to a character's name allow you to use a Japanese name? In my eyes, no.
Again, there’s a kernel of truth here (i.e., when you explain next to nothing in a fantasy world). But that’s the one thing you missed about my previous post for feedback. I did explain why Japanese names were prominent in my novel, but they’re not the only names that exist. Simply put, I don’t write by accident. Two of my six MCs are reborn Japanese dudes, and for damn sure, I won’t call them Joe and Bob. Another is from a country founded by other reborn Japanese dudes (from a million years ago, as I said). And the final two is a case of “deep roots but born in a different climate.” In fact, one of them is a case of a mother naming one’s daughter.

SailusGebel

I won’t talk about how you gave me feedback as a reader, because there were some points I agreed with. All you should know is that I’m not looking for more readers because it’s only my hobby. Instead, I’ll talk about this:

Again, there’s a kernel of truth here (i.e., when you explain next to nothing in a fantasy world). But that’s the one thing you missed about my previous post for feedback. I did explain why Japanese names were prominent in my novel, but they’re not the only names that exist. Simply put, I don’t write by accident. Two of my six MCs are reborn Japanese dudes, and for damn sure, I won’t call them Joe and Bob. Another is from a country founded by other reborn Japanese dudes (from a million years ago, as I said). And the final two is a case of “deep roots but born in a different climate.” In fact, one of them is a case of a mother naming one’s daughter.
I understood it. It's you who don't understand one simple thing.
I did explain why Japanese names were prominent in my novel, but they’re not the only names that exist. Simply put, I don’t write by accident. Two of my six MCs are reborn Japanese dudes, I don't like that two of your six MCs are reborn Japanese dudes. Why is it so hard for you to understand?
Another is from a country founded by other reborn Japanese dudes (from a million years ago, as I said). I don't like that the country was founded by other reborn Japanese dudes from a million years ago as you said. What's so hard to understand here?

D

Deleted member 93348

I understood it. It's you who don't understand one simple thing.
I did explain why Japanese names were prominent in my novel, but they’re not the only names that exist. Simply put, I don’t write by accident. Two of my six MCs are reborn Japanese dudes, I don't like that two of your six MCs are reborn Japanese dudes. Why is it so hard for you to understand?
Another is from a country founded by other reborn Japanese dudes (from a million years ago, as I said). I don't like that the country was founded by other reborn Japanese dudes from a million years ago as you said. What's so hard to understand here?
Well, since you’ve emphasized more that it’s personal preference, I can respect that. I do understand, but I’m just telling you that I never did anything offensive to any other reader. I will say that’s kind of a dumb reason to not like something. They’re merely characters with appropriate names for their appropriate backgrounds. Nothing wrong at all.

SailusGebel

Well, since you’ve emphasized more that it’s personal preference, I can respect that. I do understand, but I’m just telling you that I never did anything offensive to any other reader. I will say that’s kind of a dumb reason to not like something. They’re merely characters with appropriate names for their appropriate backgrounds. Nothing wrong at all.
I didn't say you offended someone. I don't care about appropriation, nor am I SJW. And the reasons for not liking it might be dumb. I don't care. Everything that I've written was only a part of why I dislike it.
There are more reasons, and I can obviously elaborate on everything that I've already written, but I don't want to spend more of my time on useless things.
Because you ignore parts of my messages, I've spent way too much time on something useless. It's not a thread where I explain why I dislike the usage of elements from Japanese culture and language. It's a feedback thread. That's why this is going to be the last reply to you. Have a good day or night.