The YA epidemic...

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Oh man this thread blew up. Don't mind me, I'm just here for the show.

Interesting points being given.

:blob_popcorn: :blob_popcorn: :blob_popcorn:
What I find interesting is it's quite a calm discussion all things considering. Not vitriolic at all. So far anyway haha

LWFlouisa

The other mind screw about it: those same websites go on this radical charade condemning such character, even though like, it's plastered entirely all over wattpad like new fashioned paint.

I don't know, to me Wattpad is like the Yahoo answers / Stack overflow of the writing world.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
lol I didn't mean for people to take this too personally. I'm not kink shaming people for reading those. What I'm shaming is the fetishization of abuse, and by 'abuse', I don't mean consensual and sane BDSM. I grew up with an emotionally abusive parent and he used to package his anger and emotional violence towards me as 'love' and 'care'. You can say this whole thing hits too close to home and that's why I seem 'antagonistic'. To each his own and I never interfered with what people around me love to read, not matter of out of box they can be. To be honest, I don't care if you like shotas, Lolis, ponies or whatever floats your boat.

But this whole trend is getting out of hand and this is not about separating fiction from reality anymore. Teen girls now see this things on their phones, at the theater and at bookstores as if all of this is ought to be normalized. Unhealthy shit like this becomes the example because they don't know what a good example is. Kids are vulnerable, impressionable things. I'm sorry if I seem too conservative or old-fashioned to you but I don't think adults and teen kids have the same level of self-awareness and differentiation. You know that fiction is fiction and reality is reality but that doesn't mean it's the same for them.
First off i just wanna clarify that what i said about kink shaming wasnt to you personslly, but adresssed to the general audience. So dont take it to heart m'dude.

Also i disagree with the last paragraph. Like you might not be as experienced or calm at your teenage years but can damn well make up your own mind

The "impressionable youngsters" bit always a little annoying to me. As if people are REALLY any less impressionable when they get older. Age and maturity arent mutually exclusive.

Also then well sorry my dude but you're biased and thats understandable.

But again. This just means you dont got s clear line between the fiction part of the stories and the reality.

The stories dont say, "hey being physically and emotionally abusive to your partner is okay!"

They dont promote that stuff

The stories are just fantasies meant to appeal to those who like those sort of "neglect" play or saving the bad boy/turning him good/healing with love kind of bullshit.

There are people who either like being abused or who like being "the hero" or the "Nightingale"

Now you say something about normalization and thats a fair point. Like you cant have people thinking that real situations of abuse is okah, right?

....but the entire point is, if you cant CLEARLY understand the difference between some unhealthy relationship that is harmful to yourself or another, and just having fantasies or when the "abuse" is just really take being a jerk type of thing....physical and emotional abuse vs just the other person being a bit of a dick, no harm done...well then the problem line in yourself. Not the content being distributed.

YOU cant seperate those things.YOU cant tell the difference--please note when i say you here i am also adressing just the general audience

In real life situations of abuse you should realize its abuse.

Normalizing abuse? To a certain extent, and in fiction. You can build a tolerance to a few things or know when its a no-real-harm type of deal and when its actually hurting someone.

But yeah. If you cant tell when the abuse is something bad and harmful thats entirely on you. You're fucked up a little. You cant blame fictionalized stories, thats just shifting blame.

Its the same as saying some dumbfucky stuff like video games cause violence

See my dude, i kinda get what you mean. But the stories arent propaganda supporting abuse.

All they are, are simply popular fantasies. They arent full of domestic violence

....ahem. Well. Not western ones. But asian stories are full of moral greys with tropes of a "girl accidentally going into a room and the man-usually a CEO--inside mistakes her for a hooker sent by the hotel and has his way with her thinking its play if she resists or she just too drunk to resist"

Yeah Asians got no chill either they skirt the edges of morals or they outright have an emotionally abusive relationship between the two leads. Sometimes physical.

Normally thats only restricted to asian works tho.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
First off i just wanna clarify that what i said about kink shaming wasnt to you personslly, but adresssed to the general audience. So dont take it to heart m'dude.

Also i disagree with the last paragraph. Like you might not be as experienced or calm at your teenage years but can damn well make up your own mind

The "impressionable youngsters" bit always a little annoying to me. As if people are REALLY any less impressionable when they get older. Age and maturity arent mutually exclusive.

But again. This just means you dont got s clear line between the fiction part of the stories and the reality.

The stories dont say, "hey being physically and emotionally abusive to your partner is okay!"

They dont promote that stuff

The stories are just fantasies meant to appeal to those who like those sort of "neglect" play or saving the bad boy/turning him good/healing with love kind of bullshit.

There are people who either like being abused or who like being "the hero" or the "Nightingale"

Now you say something about normalization and thats a fair point. Like you cant have people thinking that real situations of abuse is okah, right?

....but the entire point is, if you cant CLEARLY understand the difference between some unhealthy relationship that is harmful to yourself or another, and just having fantasies or when the "abuse" is just really take being a jerk type of thing....physical and emotional abuse vs just the other person being a bit of a dick, no harm done...well then the problem line in yourself. Not the content being distributed.

YOU cant seperate those things.YOU cant tell the difference--please note when i say you here i am also adressing just the general audience

In real life situations of abuse you should realize its abuse.

Normalizing abuse? To a certain extent, and in fiction. You can build a tolerance to a few things or know when its a no-real-harm type of deal and when its actually hurting someone.

But yeah. If you cant tell when the abuse is something bad and harmful thats entirely on you. You're fucked up a little. You cant blame fictionalized stories, thats just shifting blame.

Its the same as saying some dumbfucky stuff like video games cause violence

See my dude, i kinda get what you mean. But the stories arent propaganda supporting abuse.

All they are, are simply popular fantasies. They arent full of domestic violence

....ahem. Well. Not western ones. But asian stories are full of moral greys with tropes of a "girl accidentally going into a room and the man-usually a CEO--inside mistakes her for a hooker sent by the hotel and has his way with her thinking its play if she resists or she just too drunk to resist"

Yeah Asians got no chill either they skirt the edges of morals or they outright have an emotionally abusive relationship between the two leads. Sometimes physical.

Normally thats only restricted to asian works tho.

It really does affect women when they're fed these sorts of stories from birth, though. When I was a young girl, I remember the majority of girls I knew really buying into this shit because it's all that was available for them to read, and everyone treated it like it was a true and normal narrative.
Maybe because the adults know that it's fantasy and assume the children do for some bizarre reason, or because everyone is still bitterly obsessed with the "girls love bad boys" stereotype and don't actually want to disagree with these novels, but nobody ever interrupted the "lessons" they were getting from these crappily written shitshows.

In fact, I had the extreme displeasure of watching those girls line up to shame rape victims for trying to break up with their rapists, because "he's a hurt bad boy" and "she's a bitch who's breaking his heart".
They then tried to throw themselves at said rapist. We're all very lucky he'd turned incel at that point and wouldn't date again because "girls are all sluts and bitches".

You can say "it's your problem", but when it's brainwashing kids this effectively, it's society's problem.

LostinMovement

I guess I'm just too biased about this matter to see things as objectively as you do. Probably growing up as a young girl in a strictly patriarchal household makes those kind of narratives leave a bad taste in my mouth. That's my personal issue though which has nothing to do with the books. I guess even at my age it seems I can't 'tell' fiction from reality. So let's just agree to disagree.

Ace_Arriande

It really does affect women when they're fed these sorts of stories from birth, though. When I was a young girl, I remember the majority of girls I knew really buying into this shit because it's all that was available for them to read, and everyone treated it like it was a true and normal narrative.
Maybe because the adults know that it's fantasy and assume the children do for some bizarre reason, or because everyone is still bitterly obsessed with the "girls love bad boys" stereotype and don't actually want to disagree with these novels, but nobody ever interrupted the "lessons" they were getting from these crappily written shitshows.

In fact, I had the extreme displeasure of watching those girls line up to shame rape victims for trying to break up with their rapists, because "he's a hurt bad boy" and "she's a bitch who's breaking his heart".
They then tried to throw themselves at said rapist. We're all very lucky he'd turned incel at that point and wouldn't date again because "girls are all sluts and bitches".

You can say "it's your problem", but when it's brainwashing kids this effectively, it's society's problem.

Honestly, I'm going to have to switch sides here, or at least not camp solely on the side of "there's nothing wrong with it, it's just a kink," since there are studies that have linked aggressive behavior to violent literature and music. Generally, when I see topics like this, I think of how it's been proven time and time again via scientific studies that video games don't cause violence. I just jump to the conclusion that it's moral panic. They just make me think of how people thought Dungeons and Dragons was causing people to turn into satanists. But according to studies, literature (but primarily music) can and does cause an increase in violent behavior. I would think that it's safe to assume if violent literature has been linked to violent thoughts and behaviors, then literature that promotes unhealthy relationships does normalize and encourage it even if that is not the author's intent. It's not like a book has to say "Yes, reader, this behavior is perfectly acceptable and you should do it in real life" for people to be subconsciously influenced by it. You can even know that something is wrong at a conscious level but still be influenced toward it at a subconscious level. Enough exposure toward something can do that to the mind. I can easily think of many examples of this that are prevalent in the modern internet... but things would get political and probably very toxic if I actually used those examples. :sweating_profusely: Just look at how effective gaslighting is, and I'm afraid that I was getting too close to gaslighting by jumping to my previous conclusion.

So, I agree that children with developing minds and worldviews should not read these stories without first being given positive examples instead. At the very least, they should be taught that the content of such books are not healthy nor acceptable in the real world. However, I don't have a problem with people writing these stories while intending for them to serve as a fantasy targeted at mature adults who understand that it is strictly fantasy.

I would also say that the problem isn't actually separating reality from fiction at all despite that originally being my main point. As one of the studies that supports video games not causing violence describes, reality testing begins at age 3 and children can generally separate fiction and reality completely by the age of 12 unless they are "experiencing a significant psychosis or intellectual disability." It's more an issue of what effect overexposure to violent fiction has on people and how they react to situations.

At the same time, I can only find one study solidly claiming that violent books encourage violent behavior (and no studies saying the opposite), and there are numerous studies in far more detail supporting that violent video games have absolutely zero effect on violent behavior. So, if the study was right about violent books and music causing increased violent reactions in people, how are violent video games safe from this?

In other words, nothing is black and white like usual, but I don't believe in putting the blame on the creators of such content. I would rather put blame on how people are educated. We should be providing people with a greater balance and promoting stronger critical thinking skills. Unfortunately, that's something that nobody in charge has any interest in doing.

I guess I'm just too biased about this matter to see things as objectively as you do. Probably growing up as a young girl in a strictly patriarchal household makes those kind of narratives leave a bad taste in my mouth. That's my personal issue though which has nothing to do with the books. I guess even at my age it seems I can't 'tell' fiction from reality. So let's just agree to disagree.

The people who are most affected by these issues are usually going to be the ones who are the most biased, and they're the ones who are generally worth listening to the most when it comes to matters like this.

thorbjorn42gbf

Just want to mention that it in general have been an increasing trend in YA the last decade or so to show problematic shit and talking about how to move on from that, Hunger games for one which was probably the most popular ya books and movies the years it came out, had a pretty good part of the whole love triangle thing where the main character drops one love interest because he cares more about getting results in the war than the fact that its breaking her.

So you can't say its just weird abusive relationships people are introduced to. On top of that, the YA genre as seen in the bookstores is generally full of pretty ok portrayals of relationships, sure its more drama, but thats also pretty much the worst you can say about a lot of it. And thats not even talking about the majority are themed around abuse of power or oppressive governments so its not like they are telling people to take shit laying down.

I think its problematic to think that teens will only ever get to see romance as represented by, whats from the titles you posted seems to be ertic romance or romance books inspired by the current popular genre conventions from that, as there are plenty of other generally better portrayed relationships or even direct portrayals bad relationships to take from in the YA genre.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

I have to be honest. I read that and thought, " i cant really say thats a very good case being made"

It may sounds kinda asssholy and im sorry if it does. Dont mean it like that.

i just thought that because, well, i dont know exactly what "reading material" those kids had available. But it shouldnt matter? You say a lot of kids you knew bought into it because thats all they had to read. This should be, one can assume, that its all you had to read as well.

And YOU didnt end up like that.

I mean....come on. Cant we just admit that MAYBE a majority of those girls who were shaming the rape victims....are just bitches themselves? And it had very little, if anything, to do with reading stuff?

Again most of this genres popular reading material isnt propoganda promoting abuse. It would have to be pretty hardcore to actually "brainwash" anyone and you'd have to almost deliberately surround kids SINCE YOUNG to that sort of material to begin with.

I see no situation in which any of what you said would happen normally. I find it interesting you use the word "fed" too.

Like im sorry but it just sounds like you lived in a shitty place where the adults almost certainly and deliberately "fed" their younger generation with propaganda supporting, or at the very least actively normalizing, true abusive behaviour.

as i said in another previous post, MOST OF THE FUCKING POPULAR WORKS FROM THIS GENRE ARE HARMLESS.

They dont show shit like unjustifiably hitting a woman--or man even. Or straight up holding her down and raping her. Or saying all that stuff can be forgiven because of some dark past the male lead went through.

let me ask: Is THAT the kind of stuff you had available to read? Seriously?

Because if it is then what IM talking about and what YOU'RE talking about seem like two very different things.

Even if its not actively promoting that stuff, if its openly flaunting/displaying it then what the fuck is up with the adults where you lived letting kids read that sort of shit? And how young we even talking about? Cuz past 16, unless they been reading those serious sort of novels--novels different from the ones im speaking of, the ones OP spoke sbout being popular right now-- since they were children, they have no excuse. They could only blame their shitty nature in those cases. Cuz at that age if you havent been exposed since childhood to only those sort of novels, well you already have a solid worldview by then. Which means you cant just blame the books.

Anyway. That stuff dont have any....like, real place in a discussion talking about mere fads about bad boy alpha male fantasies or neglect play

No. What you imply is that some seriously messed up reading material had been fed to your companions since they were young. And that is just something else entirely.

I mean its either that or all those girls who did the shaming were just shitty people.

Honestly, I'm going to have to switch sides here, or at least not camp solely on the side of "there's nothing wrong with it, it's just a kink," since there are studies that have linked aggressive behavior to violent literature and music. Generally, when I see topics like this, I think of how it's been proven time and time again via scientific studies that video games don't cause violence. I just jump to the conclusion that it's moral panic. They just make me think of how people thought Dungeons and Dragons was causing people to turn into satanists. But according to studies, literature (but primarily music) can and does cause an increase in violent behavior. I would think that it's safe to assume if violent literature has been linked to violent thoughts and behaviors, then literature that promotes unhealthy relationships does normalize and encourage it even if that is not the author's intent. It's not like a book has to say "Yes, reader, this behavior is perfectly acceptable and you should do it in real life" for people to be subconsciously influenced by it. You can even know that something is wrong at a conscious level but still be influenced toward it at a subconscious level. Enough exposure toward something can do that to the mind. I can easily think of many examples of this that are prevalent in the modern internet... but things would get political and probably very toxic if I actually used those examples. :sweating_profusely: Just look at how effective gaslighting is, and I'm afraid that I was getting too close to gaslighting by jumping to my previous conclusion.

So, I agree that children with developing minds and worldviews should not read these stories without first being given positive examples instead. At the very least, they should be taught that the content of such books are not healthy nor acceptable in the real world. However, I don't have a problem with people writing these stories while intending for them to serve as a fantasy targeted at mature adults who understand that it is strictly fantasy.

I would also say that the problem isn't actually separating reality from fiction at all despite that originally being my main point. As one of the studies that supports video games not causing violence describes, reality testing begins at age 3 and children can generally separate fiction and reality completely by the age of 12 unless they are "experiencing a significant psychosis or intellectual disability." It's more an issue of what effect overexposure to violent fiction has on people and how they react to situations.

At the same time, I can only find one study solidly claiming that violent books encourage violent behavior (and no studies saying the opposite), and there are numerous studies in far more detail supporting that violent video games have absolutely zero effect on violent behavior. So, if the study was right about violent books and music causing increased violent reactions in people, how are violent video games safe from this?

In other words, nothing is black and white like usual, but I don't believe in putting the blame on the creators of such content. I would rather put blame on how people are educated. We should be providing people with a greater balance and promoting stronger critical thinking skills. Unfortunately, that's something that nobody in charge has any interest in doing.

The people who are most affected by these issues are usually going to be the ones who are the most biased, and they're the ones who are generally worth listening to the most when it comes to matters like this.
Look i will always say there isnt anything wrong with whatever sick kink a person wants to write or read about, but yes there needs to be a certain age limit.

How low or high the limit should be is arbitrary.

But I feel anyone past 16 should already have a rather strict view on the world by that point. That they wont be likely to grow and mature or change very much after that. They can, but its unlikely there will be anything that changes the foundation of who they are and what they believe in without true brainwashing tactics being used.

And either they read without being brainwashed into thinking all that is normal or they are already pretty perverse themselves and any behavior they make after reading is on they themselves, not the book.

We have to understand that situations of a wave of popularity in books that have relatively harmless versions of "neglect play" type of stuff or cold bad-boy stereotypes....and situations of books with harder, more realistic forms of abuse being dipictsed as forgivable or even just openly displayed...are simply two different animals entirely.

We are having a discussion on the first. Not the second.

The first just needs you to understand the difference between fantasy and reality. Have that and you''re golden. You can blame no one but yourself for any rash behaviour after reading them. Because they simply arent made to at all have that kind of effect. Its just you who is a dick if you use that as an excuse to shift blame from your own shittiness.

Get exposed to the first kind of books even at a young age and at most you get hard on earlier than you should or just not see the appeal.

The second type tho? Those type of works arent being presented as fetishes. Or fantasies.

And certainly shouldnt be made available to anyone younger than 16.

Lets just be clear that we have come to a topic wholly different from the original. The kind of books we are now talking about simply arent the kind we see being so popular on like wattpad or whatever.

Lets not confuse fetishes, however sick snd disgusting, with more grounded depictions of cruelty. With brainwashing and the normalization of said depictions since childhood.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Just want to mention that it in general have been an increasing trend in YA the last decade or so to show problematic shit and talking about how to move on from that, Hunger games for one which was probably the most popular ya books and movies the years it came out, had a pretty good part of the whole love triangle thing where the main character drops one love interest because he cares more about getting results in the war than the fact that its breaking her.

So you can't say its just weird abusive relationships people are introduced to. On top of that, the YA genre as seen in the bookstores is generally full of pretty ok portrayals of relationships, sure its more drama, but thats also pretty much the worst you can say about a lot of it. And thats not even talking about the majority are themed around abuse of power or oppressive governments so its not like they are telling people to take shit laying down.

I think its problematic to think that teens will only ever get to see romance as represented by, whats from the titles you posted seems to be ertic romance or romance books inspired by the current popular genre conventions from that, as there are plenty of other generally better portrayed relationships or even direct portrayals bad relationships to take from in the YA genre.
@Moonpearl @LostinMovement @Ace_Arriande see im long winded as fuck but this dude gets to the core of it.

Thanks bro. You're completely right.

Its very unlikely to ONLY be exposed to the sort of book you three were speaking about . Second, you'd likely have to be exposed since very young. Third, the kind of books found in YA novels arent the same at all as what you guys were thinking. They are dramatizations sure, but thats it.

If people dont realize thst, then its not the books fault. You cant blame those books for anything other than maybe being cringy to some.

They need to take some fucking responsibility for themselves, not blame fucking romance novels

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
So I was wondering exactly how toxic/controlling/emotionally abusive, etc. those male leads are in the stories the original poster had.

Looking at the daily trending, and copy/pasting the title the OP put leads me to conclude that almost all of them are about:
fucking WEREWOLVES

I feel like that information changes the context of the entire discussion, since it isn't even a reflection of our society, but whatever people think werewolves are supposed to act. It's no longer a discussion about fiction vs reality and the bounds or anything anymore.

Last edited:

Kldran

I agree that children with developing minds and worldviews should not read these stories without first being given positive examples instead.
This really is the entire issue. There are many people who will never be given positive examples. Expecting everyone to just know better, is expecting too much of humanity.

The reason video games don't have meaningful influence on violence is very simple: People don't see video game levels of violence in real life. However, people do see romance novel levels of abuse in real life. If anything, the romance novels are probably less abusive than some of the stuff people see.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
So in short, stake all the vampires? Have an abundant source of ammunition made of silver when werewolves become a frequent source of conversation?

Nah I'm messing. I read it all. Pretty much behind @CupcakeNinja all the way here.

Shifting blame elsewhere for being unable to control your own actions is nothing but "shifting" blame. What material you read won't change that. You've got far more problems then what you were reading before you decided to exhibit questionable behavior. If a guy reads an autobiography about a serial killer, then starts going around shooting and slashing people himself, pretty sure he was headed in that general direction in life anyway. Might have taken a little longer, but he was bound to explode anyway. What he read just accelerated the process of what was already there and waiting to be inevitably unleashed.

Kldran

Shifting blame elsewhere for being unable to control your own actions is nothing but "shifting" blame. What material you read won't change that.
There are people who literally don't know better. Insisting it's their fault for not knowing better is shifting blame away from society at large, and their parents specifically. No one enters the world knowing these things. They have to learn them.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
There are people who literally don't know better. Insisting it's their fault for not knowing better is shifting blame away from society at large, and their parents specifically. No one enters the world knowing these things. They have to learn them.
Thats a bullshit argument tho. The point was they arent born that way. You said that too, but thats why its not right. As they grow they learn by themselves too. They arent JUST taught. They arent ONLY told.

They observe.

Like i said, its very unlikely the only shit they've been surrounded by since childhood is negative stuff. Unlikely they were just brainwashed by years of being told certain things are okay and only seeing examples of abuse.

People arent machines.

But even machines are capable of learning by themselves.

There is of course an element of being influenced by society.

But ultimately? Its on you. The person.

Saying "they dont know any better" is never an excuse. Its also making a lot of assumptions.

A bad society or bad parents are a hurdle. But they arent the only factors. A lot of children have those bad examples. Yet they don't all become bad apples themselves, now do they?

It doesnt matter how you end up the way you do. Once you are a cunt you cant justify actions and shift blame to society, your parents, books, none of that shit.

Take some fucking responsibility for your own shittiness. Just cuz society may be fucked up and has done bad stuff to you, doesnt mean you have any excuse for doing the same.

It may be understandable you are the way you are but its not acceptable.

The difference is that when bad things are done to people some of them think its okay to do bad things to others just as well, while ohers resolve to keep those same bad things done to them from happening to others. This one single choice determines who you.

and once you choose the former, well, its always yourself at blame. No one else.

Kldran

Like i said, its very unlikely the only shit they've been surrounded by since childhood is negative stuff. Unlikely they were just brainwashed by years of being told certain things are okay and only seeing examples of abuse.
This is something we clearly disagree on. From what I've seen and read, it's far from "Unlikely" and actually quite common. Especially in countries outside the US and Europe.
Take some fucking responsibility for your own shittiness. Just cuz society may be fucked up and has done bad stuff to you, doesnt mean you have any excuse for doing the same.
You do realize that this applies to the very people writing stories full of shittiness too? Don't just ignore the responsibility authors and movie makers and media conglomerates have for what sort of stories people are exposed to. Society isn't some foreign thing. WE ARE SOCIETY! The idea that blaming society is refusing to accept blame is backwards. Refusing to blame society is refusing to accept that you in some way contribute to everyone else's problems. We are all complicit, to varying degrees. No one actually fights all the problems they see, because no one can. There's too many. I don't expect everyone to fight, but I do expect people to stop denying the existence of problems. Denial is just running away.

P.S. saying "Not all children from bad circumstances grow up bad" is like saying: Not everyone is below average. Why can't everyone be above average?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
This is something we clearly disagree on. From what I've seen and read, it's far from "Unlikely" and actually quite common. Especially in countries outside the US and Europe.
You do realize that this applies to the very people writing stories full of shittiness too? Don't just ignore the responsibility authors and movie makers and media conglomerates have for what sort of stories people are exposed to. Society isn't some foreign thing. WE ARE SOCIETY! The idea that blaming society is refusing to accept blame is backwards. Refusing to blame society is refusing to accept that you in some way contribute to everyone else's problems. We are all complicit, to varying degrees. No one actually fights all the problems they see, because no one can. There's too many. I don't expect everyone to fight, but I do expect people to stop denying the existence of problems. Denial is just running away.

P.S. saying "Not all children from bad circumstances grow up bad" is like saying: Not everyone is below average. Why can't everyone be above average?
Because the fact is some people are just better than others. Lying to yourself and denying it is just naive. We may not be inherently evil but we can be just inherently more good.

And oh yes because every third world country is full of all doom and gloom.

Please. I said "its unlikely they are ONLY exposed to bad things" keyword:only. In case the capitals werent enough.

You essentially twisted that to mean something else. As if just cuz people live in bad countries they cant learn to be good in other ways. Cant learn love and compassion.

Again. Its just that much harder.

Also i never said not to blame authors. When did i mention them not being to blame either? We should have already covered that the books that promote violence are different from shitty romance fantasies or kinks. I explained that fully. Dunno why you bring it up again tbh

It just seems like you are only seeing this from one angle. As if just cuz of certain circumstances only X can ever happen. Thats just wrong. Life is choice. No matter the things that happen go you , either you choose to be a cunt or you choose not to be. Sure maybe you are a bit of an asshole. But thats far better than being just a cunt.

Sure the world may be a bunch of greys. But even if you're a good father or leader in addition to being a cunt, you're still a cunt. Doing a little good doesnt at all mean you can just be forgiven for the bad. Or should be.

You can spread negativity through media. Doesnt mean you FORCE people to do anything, though. If they do bad shit just cuz of stuff you say or write or do, well thats not your own fault. You are responsible for YOUR choices. Not anyone else's. That said, the act and intention to corrupt is there. Thats where the blame of the "author" comes in. Even so they can only be blamed if they have malicious intent IN ADDITION to if their writing is promoting abusive stuff.

which is why i never think of any kink, no matter how fucked up, to be bad in itself. As i said many times, so long as that shit stay in fiction. Cant help what turns you on after all.

well you can also argue morals, laws and good and evil are all completely arbitrary and dont exist in truth, which i've discussed before, but thats another topic.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
I just don't understand the appeal. Like...what's so satisfying about such abusive narratives ? why are they trending to begin with ?
Feminism fought a long way and definitely not for this.
I dont know. I'm sure there are a few feminists out there who would argue precisely that. That they fought for the right to fetishize and popularize the exact things (proper) feminism is supposed to be against. Never discount human stupidity in any situation.

From what I've observed from the people around me (which may be wrong), those are popular with people who don't always have the best grasp of healthy relationships. It's usually young girls who haven't wised up to the world yet, middle aged ladies stuck in weirdly unhappy marriages, women who straight up believe that traditional gender roles are god and that their boyfriend's red flags are ~romantic~...

Things labelled "YA" are usually read and enjoyed the most by young teenagers instead of real young adults, so...

That said, I do enjoy the occasional fiction with unhealthy relationships, so long as the writers, readers, and just about everything involved in it can acknowledge that it's unhealthy and only for fantasy. Those tend to be well-written, though, and these tend to be dog crap.
+100000000000000000000000
While i dont personally know anyone who reads any of this crap, i agree in theory. With a greater push these days on awareness of domestic violence, it boggles the mind that said subject (in various forms) is fetishized and peddled as being "acceptable" for people to consume especially teenagers who really are impressionable.
I've read a decent few GL with unhealthy relationships but all of those were well-written and handled with decent care

lol I didn't mean for people to take this too personally. I'm not kink shaming people for reading those. What I'm shaming is the fetishization of abuse, and by 'abuse', I don't mean consensual and sane BDSM. I grew up with an emotionally abusive parent and he used to package his anger and emotional violence towards me as 'love' and 'care'. You can say this whole thing hits too close to home and that's why I seem 'antagonistic'. To each his own and I never interfered with what people around me love to read, no matter how out of the box they can be. To be honest, I don't care if you like shotas, Lolis, ponies or whatever floats your boat.

But this whole trend is getting out of hand and this is not about separating fiction from reality anymore. Teen girls now see this things on their phones, at the theater and at bookstores as if all of this is ought to be normalized. Unhealthy shit like this becomes the example because they don't know what a good example is. Kids are vulnerable, impressionable things. I'm sorry if I seem too conservative or old-fashioned to you but I don't think adults and teen kids have the same level of self-awareness and differentiation. You know that fiction is fiction and reality is reality but that doesn't mean it's the same for them.
Consensual fetishes are one thing but, yeah, a lot of the stuff being produced is basically FLs (or MLs in the case of yaoi) being brainwashed via stockholm syndrome or raped into masochistic submission. It's all just so counter-intuitive to any sort of logic, sense or common decency.

People like to argue that hardcore porn is warping young people's perceptions of what is "normal" when it comes to sex. I'd state that all this YA crap does the exact same thing, just with relationships as well as sex. Yet it's like some sacred cow that everybody refuses to touch (or in this case put a bullet between the eyes) and tends the ignore the problem for various reasons including "muh moniez". Twenty years ago, this sort of stuff would usually have been confined to those trashy "mills & boone" style pulp romance novels going mostly un-noticed. Unfortunately (and i feel 3 times my age saying this) the internet has lead to this stuff being easily dispersible to the gullible and clueless masses who just eat it up to escape reality. Publishers now see "Oh hey, this is total crap but we could make a ton of money off this so lets make this huge."

It's an unfortunate flaw found even in otherwise sensible novels with strong, empowered female leads. I've only read one YA novel series (with an empowered, strong FL protag) which managed to mostly avert the trend.

The meme used to be "still a better love story than twilight" but it's hard to say that when a lot of YA novels seem to be in a race to the bottom.

Kldran

Because the fact is some people are just better than others. Lying to yourself and denying it is just naive. We may not be inherently evil but we can be just inherently more good.
I think you misunderstood me because I was saying quite clearly that some people are better than others. I'm also saying we should seek to help those who are inept instead of blaming them for their ineptitude.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off

Still dont agree with blaming everyone else but the person involved. I'm a prime example. I grew up in Brooklyn, NYC. Which was at the time, the murder Capitol of the entire city. I've known and shook hands with some of the most blood curdling people to ever breathe oxygen. People who you could PHYSICALLY feel WRONGNESS from just by being near them. Guess what? Weren't even from my neighborhood which was a cesspool I might add. Were from Manhattan, where anyone with money in the city lives. Fuckers ate with silver spoons and that's NOT a joke. Monsters. Knew a friend of mine where I lived, people who would give you the shirts off their back. Location and society had nothing to do with them being as they are. My friend was partially homeless half his childhood, yet had a heart of gold. Psycho killer rich boy had parents who would have laid the world at his feet if he had asked. Society clearly had nothing to do with them being as they were or the roles would have been reversed. My dad whi is dead now, was a minuteman, and if you dont know that terminology, then good for you. And no it has nothing to do with the america revolution so dont try and sound clever. My mother was a junky and a prostitute who tried to sell herself to me on multiple occasions when I was in my early teens because she was so high she didn't recognize me. I moved south a few years back, and am doing better than ANYBODY I've ever known in my past. According to "society", I should be doing what everyone was. Therefore i should have died before I was 20 like many people I know did. 17 was a very unlucky number for quite a few of my friends and associates. 15 too. I deny your point of view from personal experience.

Everyone made choices. THEY made the choices. Not society.

Kldran

Still dont agree with blaming everyone else but the person involved.
I'm not saying to not blame the person involved. I'm only saying to look at the big picture. There is far more involved in a persons behavior than just them.

Also: You clearly think people raised in well off households are taught better. You'd be wrong. Lots of well off people are taught to take everything they can from anyone they can. Lots of rich and well off people both show and tell their children to lie, cheat, and steal. Not to mention that spoiling people rotten is a phrase that exists for a reason: Giving someone everything they want doesn't teach kindness, it teaches greed and apathy.

You definitely did well to get out from where you were. My point here is: You are not the norm. You did well. You fought. Not everyone is able to fight. Don't expect everyone to be as STRONG as you. You are not weak, you proved that yourself. That doesn't mean no one else is weak.