How did your fantasy world abolish slavery ?

ACertainPassingUser

There's so much fantasy story that show or tell that Slavery were abolished in their world, It doesn't even matter whether the people still think like medieval people.

But how did they manage such achievement in first place ? How do they historically explain it in your story lore ?

Would you share it to us, o Authors of Scribble Hub ?

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
It half did. A war in the west destroyed slavery there for the most part, but fringes of slavery still exist in the far east

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
It didn't. Trying it will get 20 spears shoved up the stink hole with a few fireballs melting the face of any abolitionist. Who knew people with questionable values and/or lack of morals hate when their main source of income is threatened?

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I find it weird that Isekai based on a fantastical version of the European middle ages always have slavery. Europe was like the one place on earth that didn't have slavery at the time because the pope forbade Christians from keeping other Christians as slaves. Slavery was never big in Europe after Christianity and wasn't even introduced to the Americas by Christians, but Jewish Merchants who had been trading slaves in the Muslim world for centuries.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It's very similar to the world we live in today, so same deal.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Slavery is not economically viable in most situations. There is a ton of overhead, and like mist institutions, the larger it grows, the more corruption, and the greater amount of financial cost.

So why dies slavery exist at all?

1. The smaller your society, the more likely you will have slavery. The smaller the society, the more oversight, the less corruption, the less waste.

2. Technology very quickly becomes a force multiplier and slavery can only go so far. There are few ways to upgrade a slave without putting the master's life at risk. This could also be applied to advances in magic. So log magic and low science leans towards slavery.

3. Slavery as punishment. If you can't afford to build a prison, makings someone a slave is an excellent alternative.

4. Otherness. If the slaves aren't considered "us" slavery is much easier. The move you relate to a slave, the harder it is to oppress them. Humans can firm bonds with inanimate objects. It us difficult to keep up the hatred of a group indefinitely.

5. Visibility. Slaves should be kept out of sight. Visible slaves need to be treated well. In the south, at most 6% of the population was involved with slaves, and most slaves were treated well for the time, but kept away from everyone else. The larger the population, the more interaction, the more you come to relate to slaves and the more likely it is to end.

So, first determine why you have slaves, then let capitalism do its job. Unfortunately corruption often. Sets in and a dead industry will often work hard to protect itself.

In Brazil, slavery just... died. It was cheaper to just hire people. In America, corrupt people fought to keep it alive to protect their livelihood. In Brazil, the government didn't have an much as a stake as in America.

So we then have the next factor. Is your slavery just a natural part of the economy, or a government run and protected institution. This will change how easily slavery gives up the ghost.

In my setting, slave spells took away people's free will. This resulted in some high profile assassinations ans secual assaults that so disgusted the nobility, they banned all slave spells and made its use punishable by death.

The economy is doing well enough that slavery is mostly gone, but there is a black market for
... specialty slaves... for rich perverts.

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
The gods said no.

But crime slaves are legal, so...

In the book I have published now, - Are Dungeons(or dungeon monsters) slaves? Cuz that changes the answer immensely.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
They owned like 70% of the total slave population in Europe.
You are conflating slavery with indentured servitude. Two different things.
It is also important to consider are the sins of the father, the sins of the son? If your answer is yes, you are more likely to have slavery. If no, then you are likely to gave indentured servitude.

Remember, bankruptcy laws were written by the rich so they wouldn't wind up in debtor's prison. The moment bankruptcy became a thing, slavery was doomed.

Last edited:

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Does supervised low-paying work count as slavery? If so my world has slavery.

Serfs were a pretty solid system tho: The (land)lord owns the land and 'rents' it to the serfs who then can do whatever with it as long as they pay a certain negotiateable part of their produce to the lord.

ZukoMee

I'm always amused at how uptight people get on this subject. Everyone talks about slavery in the West...but nobody has much to say about the slavery that still goes on in the Middle East and Africa. I guess it's only relevant when the slave owners have very little melanin.

But anyways, as for the answer to question: They didn't. No reason to. It works for the moment. The MC benefits from it, so why would he rock the boat and make unnecessary enemies when he's gaining benefits from it as well? It would be like putting your own foot in your mouth and for no real gain aside from some "I'm a good boy feel good" points, which are meaningless in reality. Though for some reason, people really crave them in real life.

Last edited:

Leti

Just change the name to indentured servitude. Like how there are no zombies in my world because nobody there called those walking corpses zombies anymore.