Solo leveling hot takes

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I dislike it when MC's are given systems/golden fingers which make it impossible to not be super powerful, then they act aloof and arrogant.

Most of the time the character was literally a loser before the 'cheat' and barely able to survive on their own merits.
That the only reason why I hate system, if without it the mc is a piece of shit, it's not worth it, but if the mc was something before it, then it's fine.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
A 29 year old civil employment exam student wakes up in a blank white room and meets a baby angel. This baby angel informs him that he died in his sleep due to heart disease like his father and grandfather. Remembering his mom and their last conversation he says that he will take on a series of life and death tests that the baby angel offers him. From this point on he must put his life on the line and fight in the stage called ‘Arena’. And Every time he clears a test he will gain abilities and weapons to increase his strength. All to clear the tests and get his life back. This is his story of his fights in the ‘Arena’.

^Is the blurb for it.

X

Glitched

Moth Mommy
Yup, that method is completely fine. It is okay to be op, have a special skill. I dislike how the trend moved to now having stats.
Solo leveling is on the lesser side of an over inflated litrpg, but I get where you're coming from. Lit rpgs feel bad to read and even worst to remember.

Sleds

A 29 year old civil employment exam student wakes up in a blank white room and meets a baby angel. This baby angel informs him that he died in his sleep due to heart disease like his father and grandfather. Remembering his mom and their last conversation he says that he will take on a series of life and death tests that the baby angel offers him. From this point on he must put his life on the line and fight in the stage called ‘Arena’. And Every time he clears a test he will gain abilities and weapons to increase his strength. All to clear the tests and get his life back. This is his story of his fights in the ‘Arena’.

^Is the blurb for it.

X
Oh, it's a novel. I thought you were talking about a manwha, and the only one I could find with arena name was this one :

https://www.webtoonfactory.com/en/serie/arena/

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Oh, it's a novel. I thought you were talking about a manwha, and the only one I could find with arena name was this one :

https://www.webtoonfactory.com/en/serie/arena/
No.
I specifically put KN for Korean Novel.
:sweat_smile:

As far as I know, I don't think it's been adapted into a manhwa.
Would be interesting if it did get one, but I can't see them doing one since there's some smut in it.
'-'

X

Sleds

No.
I specifically put KN for Korean Novel.
:sweat_smile:

As far as I know, I don't think it's been adapted into a manhwa.
Would be interesting if it did get one, but I can't see them doing one since there's some smut in it.
'-'

X
I don't think smut will stop them, but there a lot of novel who should get adapted, same for anime instead of what we get.

2wordsperminute

But I generally dislike Korean stories. Their influence on the genre and their mania with litrpg, grinding and turning bland tropes into even worse ones, made me automatically avoid everything that is coming from them.

I think the only Korean story I ever enjoyed was Gluttony. (second coming of gluttony? I don't remember the full title) but I was still frustrated with many aspects of it.
Personally I think tower of god is really good. Also doesn't have a system if that sells it even a little bit.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I wouldn't have liked it without the art. I got into the Manhwa after watching the first episode of the anime, and the experience was a solid 6 for me. But the ending brought the whole thing down to a 4 out of 10

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
I remember when Koreans produced things like King of Hell; that was the shit.

Now they do nothing but farm mobs even in their stories and try to push that only money matters and only money give you power and if you are poor fuck and can't spend in your VRMMO3DFUCKLANDSUPERFANTASY, then you are trash, 3rd citizen and go die in a hole.

I am an anti manwha person.
The best manhwa that nobody except me knows about is Shin Angyō Onshi (Blade of the Phantom Master in English). Although it's not on the same level, for me it's the Korean Berserk, a work with sublime drawings that, despite some slips, has greatly influenced my writing. With all its flaws, it's one of my favorite comics. I recommend it to everyone.

Regarding Solo Leveling, I was obsessed with the novel and also enjoyed the webtoon, especially the idea of dungeons, rankings, guilds, in a modern fantasy context. I quite like the early part of the story, but it progressively gets worse, turning into a bit of a mess. I haven't watched the anime yet. I usually wait for the seasons to be complete.

I tend to prefer Japanese works in general, but I really appreciate Korean ones for often having mentally stronger protagonists who are less at the mercy of events. If I have to choose between Korea and China, I'd choose Korea any day.

SailusGebel

The best manhwa that nobody except me knows about is Shin Angyō Onshi (Blade of the Phantom Master in English). Although it's not on the same level, for me it's the Korean Berserk, a work with sublime drawings that, despite some slips, has greatly influenced my writing. With all its flaws, it's one of my favorite comics. I recommend it to everyone.
Is it you who recommend it to me? Or was it someone else? Or was it a different manhwa? Anyway, I think we had someone else who was a fan? I'm not sure.
I am an anti manwha person.
Webtoons. The thing you hate are webtoons. Manhwa is dead.

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
Is it you who recommend it to me? Or was it someone else? Or was it a different manhwa? Anyway, I think we had someone else who was a fan? I'm not sure.

Webtoons. The thing you hate are webtoons. Manhwa is dead.
I definitely would have recommended it to you, but I don't remember having done so.

Sleds

Regarding Solo Leveling, I was obsessed with the novel and also enjoyed the webtoon, especially the idea of dungeons, rankings, guilds, in a modern fantasy context. I quite like the early part of the story, but it progressively gets worse, turning into a bit of a mess. I haven't watched the anime yet. I usually wait for the seasons to be complete.

I tend to prefer Japanese works in general, but I really appreciate Korean ones for often having mentally stronger protagonists who are less at the mercy of events. If I have to choose between Korea and China, I'd choose Korea any day.
I prefer none, if we go by the generality of the three, Japanese, Korean and China, the protagonist are not good mentally. Against it's if we just judge by the generality of them, if we take good manga/manwha/manhua in each of them, it's hard to choose to be honest.

For china you can look at The King Avatar, Soul Land or Feng Shen Ji, they are great manhua who outclass solo leveling by miles.

Last edited: