Toxic Writers Kill Me (And are taking it upon themselves to torture me now)

Who should I romance first?

• Total voters

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Must vent, must cry, must evaporate for my sanity.

So, this gal plays mobile sim date games in her spare time for a bit of casual fun. Usually take my sister's recommendations because she plays them more often and faster than me. They're sometimes horrible, sometimes great, but it's all good in the name of shits and giggles.

Today I loaded up the newest game I downloaded and decided to get cracking on it, after spending a week or two building up points so I can play without frustration. The description says the MC I'll have to play as is some famous author, so I'm expecting cringe, but I'm ready for it.

We open on the scene of this very nice, very polite and enthusiastic fan asking the MC to sign something for him and telling her how much he loves her work. Her replies are four year-old levels of intelligence, but standards are pretty low for sim date MCs anyway. Life skills of any description are not a necessity for those things.
It turns out that this is actually her first ever fan - and she makes the awful mistake of not recognising him and trying to blow him off like a normal one. Big whoops, but it happens.
But then she starts making the crappiest excuses to get out of the conversation when he starts (very sincerely!) taking an interest in her new novel plans and asking some nice, non-intrusive questions. She scampers off to her friend and proceeds to bitch hard.

She's acting like she's a published author with thousands of obsessive fans (and being well-liked is such a burden), but the game actually says she's some mediocre webnovelist who writes bad romances.
Also, her fan was nice enough to ask her to sign something, and she's literally no one. Is she not even a little flattered? I smell a narcissist.

But I'm still expecting that the game will keep the writing career as a gimmick. I also reckon that scene was probably meant to make the fan look creepier than he actually turned out, so I persevere.

But then, her phone buzzes! It's a comment from a reader! And... Oh noes, it's not a ~positive~ one.
In two lines, the reader (again, very politely and maturely) says that her romances don't feel very realistic and that she maybe has to work on that aspect of her writing.

At this point, the game stops to inform us that the MC has a genuine disadvantage when it comes to writing romance because she's never had a boyfriend. So not only is this feedback not an insult, but it's also objectively true.
However, while the MC acknowledges that other writers (*cough* better writers *cough*) would be able to handle such a comment, she feels that her work is a part of her soul and, rather than reflecting on how attaching her entire self-esteem to her success in an art where you fail more times than you succeed is dooming her to a life of failure, she decides that means that she doesn't have to try at all.

The game then gives me a choice of how to respond to this feedback. At least, thinks little old me, I can choose to respond to this maturely for her and save myself the second-hand embarrassment.

Options:
1. Pull out the old "it's fiction so who cares; don't read it if you don't like it, hater!" spiel (Then proceed to suck your thumb like the baby you are.)
2. Get salty and argue that it's not true (Even though we just acknowledged that it is. The writer must always be right, even when she's wrong. Proceed to suck your whole hand - you are now a fetus.)

At least it can't possibly get worse, right?

Ding! She has another notification! It's her favourite author on the website - a real big shot - swooping in to defend her, her holy white knight against this terrible not-fan, and -

I shut the whole game down to keep myself from a mental breakdown. Holy smokes, the writer of this game thinks that this behaviour is a good thing. And that guy is definitely a love interest, and there's going to be scenes upon scenes of them discussing writing and stroking each other's egos, exchanging enlightened pointers on the best way to treat your fans like shit to make yourself feel good.
I have to play a toxic writer dating a toxic writer in a game written by a toxic writer. Toxic-ception.

The problem is, at this point I have too many hours sunk into this game to not play it. My sister says it's really good, so long as I can get past how often you want to break the MC's nose. And it has dragons.

But this is seriously my personal version of Hell.

S E N D H E L P

TL;DR: Writers allegedly never grow up from being edgy, self-absorbed thirteen year-olds and apparently that's HOT.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
I read the whole rant. I want a cookie now.

Honestly, I go through a lot due to my policy to (almost) always finishing what I started, be it gaming or watching or reading, but holy hell, that would be HARD in this case :blob_joy:

TheWorldTree

I also want that cookie! But yeah I cringed hard reading this post, Dating Sims have gotten this bad? It feels like a slap to the face of every writer who actually cares about the people who take the time out of their day to read their stuff. Personally when I lose readers/someone says they're not enjoying what I'm writing anymore that hits HARD I could have 10x more readers than I currently have and I'd still hate for a long-time reader to suddenly grow bored of what I'm writing.

Ah! I'm rambling sorry! Yep that game sounds horrible and it deserves to be uninstalled into the oblivion! ;P (Hey look my first forum post! I think?)

LostLibrarian

Haha... I would laugh at that level of writing, but I honestly already saw such stuff happening. Low level success can make people act as if they are the big shot, while big shots often are the most humble and down to earth. I had the pleasure to talk to Ken Follet about writing when he had a reading in my city and I was able to ask some questions about his work. And he made it a discussion on eye-level.
Like the man who sold millions of books and has a statue stood there and behaved more like someone from your writers group instead like a giant of the industry...

Instead, the most arrogance I've seen was on low-level writer's conventions where people managed to sell one of their 20 self-printed copies for half the price. Same dude later got a girl for the night, telling her that he had published books and would hit it big...
So yeah, I would laugh at it. But I would say, that certain groups of fans are weak to arrogance and "impeccability"...

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress

Here you go:

Evil_1cc316_159671.jpg

Didn't you know? Immaturity and arrogance is the most sought after trait in a partner.

I thought it was stupidity? Himbos are all the rage right now.

Haha... I would laugh at that level of writing, but I honestly already saw such stuff happening. Low level success can make people act as if they are the big shot, while big shots often are the most humble and down to earth. I had the pleasure to talk to Ken Follet about writing when he had a reading in my city and I was able to ask some questions about his work. And he made it a discussion on eye-level.
Like the man who sold millions of books and has a statue stood there and behaved more like someone from your writers group instead like a giant of the industry...

Instead, the most arrogance I've seen was on low-level writer's conventions where people managed to sell one of their 20 self-printed copies for half the price. Same dude later got a girl for the night, telling her that he had published books and would hit it big...
So yeah, I would laugh at it. But I would say, that certain groups of fans are weak to arrogance and "impeccability"...

I tragically know some "professionals" who never grew out of it, though.

(Also, this whole "famous webnovelist" just keeps getting worse and worse. The best writers on their site have less readers than you can get here on Scribble Hub, but they're holding a whole fancy party to crown a contest winner, and the love interest has a crowd of fans so crazily obsessed that the MC ~somehow~ gets her dress ripped open by them.)

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I.... Kind of want you to continue playing and rant more. I found this rant very enjoyable :blob_popcorn:

I feel like I'm losing too many brain cells right now, so I'll try again later. Who knows - maybe this will turn out to be a redemption story where the MC learns the importance of treasuring her fans? (I'm going to delude myself to get by, at least.)

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
I dunno, man. Aren't whiny narcissistic bitches who can't write kind of hot?

The story sounds like a fantasy starring the author, because deep down they're a perfectly reasonable and likable person, and all those times people insulted their work were bullshit.
1597885033662.png

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Here you go:

View attachment 3544

I thought it was stupidity? Himbos are all the rage right now.

I tragically know some "professionals" who never grew out of it, though.

(Also, this whole "famous webnovelist" just keeps getting worse and worse. The best writers on their site have less readers than you can get here on Scribble Hub, but they're holding a whole fancy party to crown a contest winner, and the love interest has a crowd of fans so crazily obsessed that the MC ~somehow~ gets her dress ripped open by them.)
The land dude
King kong or something

JCountry

Really strange. I have to wonder about the people who made that game. As a writer myself. I actually enjoy engaging with my readers. I have entire discussions in the comments of my chapters. I find that engaging with the readers is a good way to improve, both my writing and my story. Of course, toxic readers can be just as bad as a toxic writer. RR is full of those. I blame their whole ranking and trending system on that.

vanta_luxe

Really strange. I have to wonder about the people who made that game. As a writer myself. I actually enjoy engaging with my readers. I have entire discussions in the comments of my chapters. I find that engaging with the readers is a good way to improve, both my writing and my story. Of course, toxic readers can be just as bad as a toxic writer. RR is full of those. I blame their whole ranking and trending system on that.

really? i haven't had that many bad experiences, but I'm unknown as well.

Had one book reviewer who obviously didn't read the book (nor did i ask for the review).

He still gave it 4.4 of 5 so it was whatever. But personally, I don't pay attention to other people unless the crit helps me achieve my objectives. I'm a story teller, so my goal isn't always the perceived "best" way to do something.

Even with the reviewer, they basically reached for aspects of my story that simply were nonexistent.
For example, imagining some kind of romance between characters even though my work isn't labeled as romance nor were there any obvious "romance" vibes anywhere within the book.
What small critiques he did center around logic or my actual goals, I took away and discarded the rest.

I think you have to have a certain amount of objectivity when you create anything and if you're not up to it on that day---just don't.

CL

Wow. I would not know how to behave around somebody like the MC, but, yes, I also wonder about the ones who developed that game and what they believe to be "hot".

Speaking of "hot": cookie? :blob_cookie:

JCountry

really? i haven't had that many bad experiences, but I'm unknown as well.
??? I would not exactly call myself unknown. I have a respectable number of readers. WDYMADAG has about 1600 readers, and RotLFL has nearly five hundred. Over on RR NS has a little shy of two hundred. I started over on RR and the community there is not as good as the one here. WDYMADAG was originally over there, and when it started to take off I was suddenly swamped with negative comments and reviews when previously I had been receiving largely positive comments and reviews. Over half of them by people who had clearly never read the story. It really stifled the growth of my story there. I persevered though and kept writing. Although eventually I moved here where my story was better received and my audience provided actual constructive feedback. Something that helped me rework some of my chapters.
He still gave it 4.4 of 5 so it was whatever. But personally, I don't pay attention to other people unless the crit helps me achieve my objectives. I'm a story teller, so my goal isn't always the perceived "best" way to do something.
I try to read every comment. I don't always respond, but when my readers ask a question about something. I do try to clarify it without spoiling things. However I do get you about the perception thing. Like your example on romance thing. I do have a reader complaining that I don't focus more on the romance of certain characters in the Last First Lord. Thing is its not really a Romance novel, so I don't really see the relevance of that. They also dropped some really strong words about a violation of trust because they perceive it as something very different from how I perceive it. My point is that how important a crit is depends on whether it is relevant to the story. Not just if it helps with the objectives.