Secret to Trending Through Observation of Some Novels

Jamminrabbit

Not really. There are many that are just made for their own sake and some that are deliberately made to go against what is popular and what is acceptable. These however get the checklist of what is popular and try to check as much as possible. That is pandering.
Believe it or not, pandering to nonconfirmity is pandering to nonconfirmity :blobrofl:

It just makes you a hipster, whether you like that branding or not.

Ral

Believe it or not, pandering to nonconfirmity is pandering to nonconfirmity :blobrofl:

It just makes you a hipster, whether you like that branding or not.
Now you are just arguing semantics.

Last edited:

Shadow_Tempest

Anyway, enough with the nonsense out of topic advertisement, the real reason for the success of the novels is because of the Capital R which is the first letter of their titles.
It was a secret until a while ago ... now everyone knows...

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
This is kinda sad. There are a tons of excellent, well written, character driven stories out there that will never get the popularity it deserves because most people will read the same exact story about an anime girl with huge boobs over and over again, with different names and settings. Even though art is based on demand and supply, just as business, writers shouldn't be given the choice of remain unnoticed or writing someone they don't like or enjoy.

The same thing happening in "real life": most people never heard of Kurt Vonnegut, Ray Bradbury, Neil Gaiman or William Goldman but they are fangirling/boying all over the new Twillight book which is the exact f*cking same story only from a different point of view. Ridiculous.

These stories may not actually be about that, they're just catching reader attention with that image.

Once the reader clicks to see your blurb, your story still has to sell itself. These covers just gain a novel more chances to prove itself than some others.

JohnHKnight

These stories may not actually be about that, they're just catching reader attention with that image.

Once the reader clicks to see your blurb, your story still has to sell itself. These covers just gain a novel more chances to prove itself than some others.

I get it, some of them aren't a BDSM harem sex story about someone who reincarnated as a perfect anime girl with huge eyes and even bigger boobs into the land of the brainless man with 8-packs. Or the other way around. But a lot of them are like that because there is a demand for it and it's just sad. We are still living in a world where a BDSM Twilight fanfiction that a boring housewife typed on her Blackberry phone made millions of dollars and people are still ready to go to the cinema to see Fast and Furious 8 or whatever the next one coming up. So I just say that, in general, the majority of people probably not looking for quality while consuming art.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I get it, some of them aren't a BDSM harem sex story about someone who reincarnated as a perfect anime girl with huge eyes and even bigger boobs into the land of the brainless man with 8-packs. Or the other way around. But a lot of them are like that because there is a demand for it and it's just sad. We are still living in a world where a BDSM Twilight fanfiction that a boring housewife typed on her Blackberry phone made millions of dollars and people are still ready to go to the cinema to see Fast and Furious 8 or whatever the next one coming up. So I just say that, in general, the majority of people probably not looking for quality while consuming art.

Art means different things to different people.

It's not strange for people to want some easy entertainment when they come home from a long day of work, and those novels are right there to provide it.

That doesn't mean they can't address some excellent themes or tell great messages, though.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
After my observation of the past few weeks, I've concluded that there is a definite way to gain a massive amount of readers and success, hugely increasing the chance to go on trending. Here are the three which I've selected to illustrate my point.

View attachment 4223

The first novel has 900 readers. The second has 250 readers. The third has 670 readers. The waifulab is a site for picking computer-generated anime girls for your personal uses. The site is convenient and easy to access and use: just go in and try picking a few you like. With just a few clicks, you now have yourself an original waifu, which can be used in many, many ways.

Anyway, enough with the nonsense out of topic advertisement, the real reason for the success of the novels is because of the Capital R which is the first letter of their titles.

Reincarnation of a Worthless Man has 1300 readers
Reborn as the Duke’s Daughter ~ The Goddesses are Ruining my Life! has 800 readers
Re: Rabbit Eyes (A Yandere Harem) has 1580 readers

So, make your novel title's first letter the capital R and you will gain a monstrous amount of readers and popularity.
Can confirm everything is true after retesting your very profound hypothesis. After making my own story without any shred of plot at all with these variables it is currently sitting at number 4 on trending after setting out to test this hypothesis as a meme on October 12th. Waifulabs cover and R in beginning of title works.
1604197861771.png

Exhibit A above (only exhibit cause I'm lazy asf.)

But I'd also like to add on and amend onto your hypothesis. It seems the word "The" at the beginning of the title may also need to be added as another variable of consideration. As you can see from Exhibit A above, three stories have "the" at the beginning of it. Four if you count the unseen number 9 spot.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Can confirm everything is true after retesting your very profound hypothesis. After making my own story without any shred of plot at all with these variables it is currently sitting at number 4 on trending after setting out to test this hypothesis as a meme on October 12th. Waifulabs cover and R in beginning of title works.
View attachment 4601

But I'd also like to add on and amend onto your hypothesis. It seems the word "The" at the beginning of the title may also need to be added as another variable of consideration. As you can see from Exhibit A above, three stories have "the" at the beginning of it. Four if you count the unseen number 9 spot.
why is it always a PNG of a waifu.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
It's the clients in the story so I don't have to describe their appearance every time.
A girl walked into the shop. She looked exactly like the cover you see on the top.

Kinda wrecks the immersion but I can see why you took that route.

OneRanter

Southern Unorthodox MaskMaker
It almost looks as if the wolf dreads its company.
View attachment 4601

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
HAH! I'm bucking the trend! Started with T, and I used meiker.io instead! Lilith Might be a Vampiric Succubus but she doesn't have big boobs and is spending more time playing with remote control spiders than being productive. :blob_sweat:

Seriously though, help, I'm scared but also excited. :sweating_profusely:

AncestralIdiot

Demn, this thread got me laughing.

But yeah, good point. I also can't help but wonder why most trending stories are... smut. Maybe they're really just captivating.

Suzumiya

After my observation of the past few weeks, I've concluded that there is a definite way to gain a massive amount of readers and success, hugely increasing the chance to go on trending. Here are the three which I've selected to illustrate my point.

View attachment 4223

The first novel has 900 readers. The second has 250 readers. The third has 670 readers. The waifulab is a site for picking computer-generated anime girls for your personal uses. The site is convenient and easy to access and use: just go in and try picking a few you like. With just a few clicks, you now have yourself an original waifu, which can be used in many, many ways.

Reincarnation of a Worthless Man has 1300 readers
Reborn as the Duke’s Daughter ~ The Goddesses are Ruining my Life! has 800 readers
Re: Rabbit Eyes (A Yandere Harem) has 1580 readers

So, make your novel title's first letter the capital R and you will gain a monstrous amount of readers and popularity.
If you do a half decent job of writing an isekai overpowered harem bullshit fantasy, you will be met with a modest sum of success. The important part is enjoying what you're writing about.

Take for example Stephen King. He is so practiced in the art of written horror that literally anything he deigns to write is immediately cleared for funding by numerous publishers. Yet, it is utterly obvious when he loses interest in what he is writing. I recall reading a book he wrote titled "Insomnia" wherein there was an obvious shift in quality upon the main character's frenzied run through a building. There was another which had an absurd ending where some lady punched the shop owner with a glowing magical fist. Absolute absurdity and I'm sure Stephen knew it.

Stephen King and several other authors are guilty of this offense. They complete their vision for a book simply for the purpose of allowing it to sell. I'm sure, were I able to talk with them without pretense, they would admit to this. It's obvious, after all, in their literature.

I am, for example, convinced that Stephen King's vision for Rose Madder is one of the few books of his which has a definitive ending which he'd truly wanted to write.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
This isn't a secret in any means. Everyone knows. To truly reflect what happens there, you can change the name Trending to Pandering.
Yep. All of these threads about people basically attempting to dissect the Trending function of this site are fucking annoying but THIS one was actually amusing, but considering who the OP is, I'm not surprised. They have dropped some useful knowledge bombs for me before and I appreciate the OP for it. This very thread also confirmed what I already have mentioned in other posts. ScribbleHub is NOT where you go to PERFECT your own variation of the writing craft. People cry troll at the first sign of a 1-star and are easily fooled into reading anything with a big-breasted waifu on the cover and will rate it highly despite the fact that the quality is shit, and the plot...well there usually isn't one. Not really. Or if there is one, it's an embarrassing wreck. There are no standards for quality here.

It all leads to the same conclusion. This isn't a site for improving. It's a site for smut-writers and blowing smoke up the asses of people's over-reaching ego's. RoyalRoad is a better site than here for improving. It's a better site overall though there is admittedly less of a social aspect to it that I find disappointing. This site is just for the people who can't handle being told they aren't as special as they thought. And writing smut. I could also say it is very useful for beginners, who at some point if they wish to "level up" so to speak, should then head to RoyalRoad.

I used to like fictionpress but then it kind of went....somewhere else with the way things were handled there and now idk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ral

ForestDweller

Yep. All of these threads about people basically attempting to dissect the Trending function of this site are fucking annoying but THIS one was actually amusing, but considering who the OP is, I'm not surprised. They have dropped some useful knowledge bombs for me before and I appreciate the OP for it. This very thread also confirmed what I already have mentioned in other posts. ScribbleHub is NOT where you go to PERFECT your own variation of the writing craft. People cry troll at the first sign of a 1-star and are easily fooled into reading anything with a big-breasted waifu on the cover and will rate it highly despite the fact that the quality is shit, and the plot...well there usually isn't one. Not really. Or if there is one, it's an embarrassing wreck. There are no standards for quality here.

It all leads to the same conclusion. This isn't a site for improving. It's a site for smut-writers and blowing smoke up the asses of people's over-reaching ego's. RoyalRoad is a better site than here for improving. It's a better site overall though there is admittedly less of a social aspect to it that I find disappointing. This site is just for the people who can't handle being told they aren't as special as they thought. And writing smut. I could also say it is very useful for beginners, who at some point if they wish to "level up" so to speak, should then head to RoyalRoad.

I originally posted my story on RR until they told me to remove it. :cry:

Razmatazz

Dungeon Cultist
I'm throwing my hat in the ring here. This theory holds water 🤓

Behold my subtle humble-brag

ergesrgesgr.jpg

I commissioned an artist to do my logo and then I did the rest of the cover myself. No waifus and no smut here =)
I could also say it is very useful for beginners, who at some point if they wish to "level up" so to speak, should then head to RoyalRoad.

My biggest following is at RR but I like Scribblehub a lot too because the reader's here aren't as intense and scary for an author. RR reader's can be really hardcore when it comes to their stories, I'm almost scared to log in every day :blob_blank:

tigerine

The same thing happening in "real life": most people never heard of Kurt Vonnegut, Ray Bradbury, Neil Gaiman or William Goldman but they are fangirling/boying all over the new Twillight book which is the exact f*cking same story only from a different point of view. Ridiculous.

We are still living in a world where a BDSM Twilight fanfiction that a boring housewife typed on her Blackberry phone made millions of dollars and people are still ready to go to the cinema to see Fast and Furious 8 or whatever the next one coming up.

I'm just going to make a small point here. All of the people you mentioned in your first reply are white, cis, straight men, selected by the publishing industry, which is also predominantly white, cis, straight men. The publishing industry has recently had several moments attempting to tackle the problems that tradpub has with a lack of diversity, with varying degrees of success. In your second reply, you specifically pick out the romantic fantasy (such as it is) of a "boring" housewife for derision, building on your lament for the (presumably superior?) works of white, cis, straight men being ignored in favor of the kind of silly nonsense that women write. And yet you seem to recognize that 'corporate art', which is all we can call the movies and TV shows made by committee and focus groups for the 18-35 straight white male, is Very Tired.

Web serials probably should be taken more seriously, because it's the first time that the voices of women, queers, people of color, and non-Eurocentric narrative ideas can have wide currency without the white, straight, cis, male-dominated tradpub apparatus gatekeeping these stories, determining who is acceptable to be published. So yes, you will doubtless be subject to the unrestrained id of many web serial writers whose work belongs in the circular file. But for many people writing here, it's the first time they've had a equal chance at an audience. If you give the work of marginalized people (compared to tradpub) a chance, I hope you can find many stories you enjoy.

JohnHKnight

I'm just going to make a small point here. All of the people you mentioned in your first reply are white, cis, straight men, selected by the publishing industry, which is also predominantly white, cis, straight men. The publishing industry has recently had several moments attempting to tackle the problems that tradpub has with a lack of diversity, with varying degrees of success. In your second reply, you specifically pick out the romantic fantasy (such as it is) of a "boring" housewife for derision, building on your lament for the (presumably superior?) works of white, cis, straight men being ignored in favor of the kind of silly nonsense that women write. And yet you seem to recognize that 'corporate art', which is all we can call the movies and TV shows made by committee and focus groups for the 18-35 straight white male, is Very Tired.

Web serials probably should be taken more seriously, because it's the first time that the voices of women, queers, people of color, and non-Eurocentric narrative ideas can have wide currency without the white, straight, cis, male-dominated tradpub apparatus gatekeeping these stories, determining who is acceptable to be published. So yes, you will doubtless be subject to the unrestrained id of many web serial writers whose work belongs in the circular file. But for many people writing here, it's the first time they've had a equal chance at an audience. If you give the work of marginalized people (compared to tradpub) a chance, I hope you can find many stories you enjoy.
My friend, I do write romantic fantasy with a bisexual protagonist and a diverse cast of important characters from various nations and races. Yeah, I am a white straight man who can and probably will got a brain aneurysm one day when Twillight or 50 shades will mentioned as romantic literature or romantic fantasy again, but believe you me, it's not because women wrote them. It's just because they're garbage, that's all my problems with them and with all the other things I mentioned.