The making of a popular story (and the use of marketing and project management)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29081
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29081

The stories that really get into people's minds are the ones that have the best marketing and project management behind them. A story isn't just words written on a page, but a full, collaborative effort by a team of professionals, who all work around the clock to make it so that Joe Schmoe takes a break from whatever he's doing to invest himself into your world.

That means getting shown on review sites (hopefully, in a positive light). Using search engine indexing. Getting sponsored by "reputable" publishers. Having a fandom astroturfed into an Internet presence via social media sites like Reddit, Twitter, and Facebook. Getting deals for adaptations. Etc., etc.

It's really a lot of work getting your story to be "the next big thing".

And here you are, the author, using your imagination and a keyboard to build the foundation for which countless people will spend the better part of their years promoting and investing in. If you're able to get that initial first contact, that is.

Most stories, when you think about it, are a dime a dozen. They have the same structure, motifs, and themes as anything that has been done before. Most stories aren't anything special.

It's the business that makes them feel that way to the reader (i.e., the consumer). They think, "Wow, that's interesting," not particularly because it's something they've never seen before, but simply because it was sold to them.

Queenfisher

Bird?
Yeah, but since most of us can't afford that, this "writer's tip/trick" is useless to the absolute majority... :blob_frown:.

So is the "it's all luck!" one (which is even more popular than the one you give).

Now, what do you propose we do with it? :blob_reach:

D

Deleted member 29081

Yeah, but since most of us can't afford that, this "writer's tip/trick" is useless to the absolute majority... :blob_frown:.

So is the "it's all luck!" one (which is even more popular than the one you give).

I'm not giving advice. I'm just telling you how it is. A story is nothing without its readers, and readers don't come out of the ether. Someone's gotta do the promotion.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I'm not giving advice. I'm just telling you how it is. A story is nothing without its readers, and readers don't come out of the ether. Someone's gotta do the promotion.
You publishing enough chapters until the SH algorithm keeps popping your name up helps. Free advertisement.

Also, spam threads and use your story link as a signature to let the SEO capture more of your trails.

Frostbird

I disagree. A story stands just the same with or without readers. A popular story on the other hand obviously requires readers. But to even imply that a story is meaningless, nothing, without the readership of of others is wrong. All you need is the singular, reader, the author to give it meaning, and even then the meaning comes from writing it, not even reading it afterwards. Sure, you can find more meaning, enjoyment, etc. with other people enjoying your story. But, I disagree with the notion that you needs others to validate what you have written. First and foremost you write for yourself, whether that be for money, fame, enjoyment, even others, doesn't change that you give your writings life, not the other way around.
I personally love when people enjoy my writings, that doesn't mean I don't find meaning within my own writings or that I would feel my writings worthless if others didn't enjoy them.

Queenfisher

Bird?
:blob_hmm_two:

I guess I know that already, but the painful truth is that promotion =/= writing and most of us want to be writers first and foremost. That someone who's gotta do the promotion is almost always going to be the writer themselves.

Good promotion usually takes much more effort and time, frankly, to get anywhere at all. And most of the time, it will be fruitless to even bother and will take precious time away from writing because everyone promotes as well and thus, one person's promotion would get lost in the noise.

Thus, while it is a (sad?) truth about the world of successful/popular writing, it is essentially saying, "Marketing >>> Writing".

And for a writing site, that is a bit... depressing to hear, I guess?

Frostbird

You publishing enough chapters until the SH algorithm keeps popping your name up helps. Free advertisement.

Also, spam threads and use your story link as a signature to let the SEO capture more of your trails.
This is a novice author site, most people aren't trying to achieve a deal with a publishing house. They are just practicing their writing for their own reasons. If referring to the advertisement within this site, your best bet is trending I suppose.

Frostbird

:blob_hmm_two:

I guess I know that already, but the painful truth is that promotion =/= writing and most of us want to be writers first and foremost. That someone who's gotta do the promotion is almost always going to be the writer themselves.

Good promotion usually takes much more effort and time, frankly, to get anywhere at all. And most of the time, it will be fruitless to even bother and will take precious time away from writing because everyone promotes as well and thus, one person's promotion would get lost in the noise.

Thus, while it is a (sad?) truth about the world of successful/popular writing, it is essentially saying, "Marketing >>> Writing".

And for a writing site, that is a bit... depressing to hear, I guess?
That's because saying writing is nothing without readers is wrong. Your writings have meaning to you, and at the end of the day that's what matters most. That your writings helped you through whatever you were going through in life, that's what gives it meaning, purpose. There is a reason people have personal journals/diaries. It's not for others, it's for themselves and it's just as meaningful as any other piece of work they may have written.

Typing...

There is a reason why authors still work with publishers. A publishing team does all the marketing so you don't have to. Who wants to spend time learning marketing tactics when we could be writing instead? Writing is exhausting and takes a long time. However if you are self publishing there is no alternative. Either learn how to market your book or pay someone else to do it for you. There is a role for marketing like how there is a role for editors. The division of labor to improve productivity.

D

Deleted member 29316

**Me, who lost hope of his story getting to the Top 9 Trending spots and ever getting popular**

"I love Jasmine Tea."

Seriously, good thing I'm writing stuff to pass time. I need not to bother with publishing, etc.

Scribbler

The stories that really get into people's minds are the ones that have the best marketing and project management behind them. A story isn't just words written on a page, but a full, collaborative effort by a team of professionals, who all work around the clock to make it so that Joe Schmoe takes a break from whatever he's doing to invest himself into your world.

That means getting shown on review sites (hopefully, in a positive light). Using search engine indexing. Getting sponsored by "reputable" publishers. Having a fandom astroturfed into an Internet presence via social media sites like Reddit, Twitter, and Facebook. Getting deals for adaptations. Etc., etc.

It's really a lot of work getting your story to be "the next big thing".

And here you are, the author, using your imagination and a keyboard to build the foundation for which countless people will spend the better part of their years promoting and investing in. If you're able to get that initial first contact, that is.

Most stories, when you think about it, are a dime a dozen. They have the same structure, motifs, and themes as anything that has been done before. Most stories aren't anything special.

It's the business that makes them feel that way to the reader (i.e., the consumer). They think, "Wow, that's interesting," not particularly because it's something they've never seen before, but simply because it was sold to them.
You're wrong because you presume everyone writes to be popular instead of any other reason.

You're wrong because luck is simply something people attribute to the reason why because the actual reason is too difficult to describe in a way that would become understandable.
That's because saying writing is nothing without readers is wrong. Your writings have meaning to you, and at the end of the day that's what matters most. That your writings helped you through whatever you were going through in life, that's what gives it meaning, purpose. There is a reason people have personal journals/diaries. It's not for others, it's for themselves and it's just as meaningful as any other piece of work they may have written.
I agree with your general premise but you're wrong because if that were true then people wouldn't post their work publicly in the first place.

To all three of you, I am so sorry. I am just so god damn bored.

K5Rakitan

Level 35 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
There is a reason why authors still work with publishers. A publishing team does all the marketing so you don't have to. Who wants to spend time learning marketing tactics when we could be writing instead? Writing is exhausting and takes a long time. However if you are self publishing there is no alternative. Either learn how to market your book or pay someone else to do it for you. There is a role for marketing like how there is a role for editors. The division of labor to improve productivity.
:ROFLMAO: I want to know what tree you're finding these marketing people on.

Queenfisher

Bird?
You're wrong because luck is simply something people attribute to the reason why because the actual reason is too difficult to describe in a way that would become understandable.

I can say "10000305286k words about the Black Swan hypothesis etc" or I can just say "luck" because most understand how simplifications work ^^.

Likewise, I can say "a hollow muscular organ that pumps the blood through the circulatory system by rhythmic contraction and dilation. In vertebrates there may be up to four chambers (as in humans), with two atria and two ventricles" or I can just say "heart" :blob_reach: .

It's fun when we all understand and appreciate the differing complexities of language, isn't it? :blob_aww:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

No excuse for not plugging your novel wherever you can. Any social media group would work. Who needs money?