Trolley problem. Just that.

Pull the lever!

• yes

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • no

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

laccoff_mawning

I looked around to see if this had previously been discussed on the forums. I couldn't find a thread that showed it, so I thought I'd make it. Serious answer only, although feel free to go haywire in the replies.

I don't think I need to explain it, but just in case:

Before you stand two train tracks, running side by side.​
The first track has five people, all upon it tied.​
The second track- only one- similarly bound.​
In the distance, a chugging; the train starts to sound.​
Your hands rest on a lever, the six start to cry;​
Pull it, and kill the one, or let the five die?

Rhaps

Jedi Fae

J_Chemist

While I will not and cannot provide details, I have chosen both at a time. But the one I most regret is when I chose five over the one.

When choosing the one, I lost five that I drink for but five that made their own choice.

When I chose the five, I lost one that did not have a choice to make. One that never should have been on those rails. One that should never have been a part of the problem. One that was there because of a mistake.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Flip the switch, and before it arrives, pull the one guy off the tracks.

Then, place him next to the six, get in the trolley, and start driving backward.

TotallyHuman

If the five people are bad for the world and the one not, then let five die.
If the five people are not bad for the world and the one is, let one die.
If all of them are bad for the world, kill five and then go kill the remaining one and then consider killing yourself.
If all of them are not bad for the world, more likely one and then maybe yourself.
It depend who are the one alone on the train. If it's someone I'm close to, you can add 50 people on the other I will still let them die and save the one.
okay, adding 50 people you are close to one other dying track

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
turn off the train, toss something in front (not alive) to slow down the train a bit, turn the lever to the single dude, hop off the train (don't forget to barrel roll) and fetch the dumbass
who is even putting these people here

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
All things being equal or unknown, flip the switch.
However, nothing is ever like this. Reality is never a perfect example, so there will be flaws. There will be exploits. There is always an option C.

Theoretical answer: Flip switch
Practical answer: CHEAT.

TotallyHuman

All things being equal or unknown, flip the switch.
However, nothing is ever like this. Reality is never a perfect example, so there will be flaws. There will be exploits. There is always an option C.

Theoretical answer: Flip switch
Practical answer: CHEAT.
realistic answer: you get duped and owned and now 6 people are dead

Succubiome

I mean, in the distance means I have some amount of time?

if they look tied shoddily and it's very far in the distance, or I have the tools on me or nearby, or other people are nearby, I can untie the most in-control looking one and together get everyone untied

if not, or it's getting closer fast than I thought, I can run along the tracks in front of the train waving my arms-- they should try to hit the brakes, and even if they can't stop in time not to hit me, they should be able to stop before they hit the people on the tracks, which they may be able to see when moving slower

after the immediate danger is gone, we can try to figure out who's been tying people to train tracks to create trolley problems, cause that's messed up

TL;DR: tunnel visioning on just the people tied up in front of you without viewing the situation as a whole is a mistake

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Lay down on the track with the five and say "Yeah, pretty sure we're gonna get isekaied anyway."

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
This is a boring trolly problem.

THERE IS A CIRCULAR TRACK.

On the track is a trolly. It is powered by electricity. It will never run out of power. It goes around and around. You have a switch. If you flip the switch, the trolly comes to a stop, then reverses direction. If you keep flipping it constantly, you can basically keep it still. If you stop, it takes about three minutes to complete a circle.

They chain a five year old girl on the tracks.
They lock you in a room with the switch and a window that lets you look right at the girl.
At best, you can time it so you can wait two minutes 59 seconds before flipping the switch, or she dies at 3 minutes.

They will not let you out until the girl is dead.
No Food. No water. No breaks.

So. What do you do?

Woolen_Bat_Monkey

Adopted son of Envy/Current owner of LuoirM nose
Why not kill both? Let the train run over the five, to the last one over with a car.