What weird stuff have you researched for the sake of accuracy?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
So here I am, editing and being diligent when I realize, it's November in my story. I am having the characters go on a picnic, in England, in fucking November, with a spring setting of blooming flowers. Anyways, 12 minutes later, 2 cups of coffee, and a deep search of the web, I am reading through this PDF on the weather of England 1698-1952 because I want to know the temperature of one day in 1883 so I can justify a picnic. I have edited it to match the time of year but want to know if it the picnic scene is even worth it. Anyways, end of rant. What is the weirdest rabbit trail you've ever gone down for a story?

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
To create an attack I searched how a supernova is created/appear. And for cultivation technique I also searched the evolution of a star through a proto-sun to a Quasar

king_kill

It might not be weird, but I tried making mana (magic) part of string theory, and gave up after a month of studying quantum mechanics.​
This is nothing
Try to reconcile religions and reconcile with your religions and the religions that you are trying to establish from scratch, taking into account that you do not take a complaint that I am blaspheming religions

NoLifeNeet

This is nothing
Try to reconcile religions and reconcile with your religions and the religions that you are trying to establish from scratch, taking into account that you do not take a complaint that I am blaspheming religions
omg. lmao. religion is a very sensitive topic too.

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
Had a story based around a character who had a jelly body. Looked up everything from totipotent cells to the ph level of Coca-Cola. Also looked up how much it hurts to drown in jello (the answer is mixed but somewhere around "unimaginably painful") as the character could digest people like a gelatinous cube from DnD but it would take a while. There was also a check of how long it would take bleach to dissolve certain things...

LilRora

Mostly formless
I've read on a ton of weird things. A couple I remember are types of propellants used in bullets (because I wrote black powder then realized that can't be right, and down we go - I learned some interesting things including what does deflagration actually mean and how it differs from detonation), then did a deep dive into fluid mechanics, most notably cavitation and supercavitation, because I was wondering how bullets work underwater. Those are both mostly physics so they might not be that weird, but I'm guessing it's still much farther than most people go.

Oh also I ended up researching medical drugs once, mainly opiates such as fentanyl or morphine.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
So here I am, editing and being diligent when I realize, it's November in my story. I am having the characters go on a picnic, in England, in fucking November, with a spring setting of blooming flowers. Anyways, 12 minutes later, 2 cups of coffee, and a deep search of the web, I am reading through this PDF on the weather of England 1698-1952 because I want to know the temperature of one day in 1883 so I can justify a picnic. I have edited it to match the time of year but want to know if it the picnic scene is even worth it. Anyways, end of rant. What is the weirdest rabbit trail you've ever gone down for a story?
A whole bunch of shit… I got into quantum and astrophysics for a magic system’s rough draft. I read the history of boilers, how boilers were installed and worked a century ago, and how they affected a house for about three paragraphs of introspection (that got shortened into a single sentence in the 2nd draft). 7 hours on how quartz was grown historically and in the modern era. How fast can emu’s run? Terror birds? What is the height of an average telephone pole? How many Jules is Mike Tyson’s punch? The history of Alchemy, and other mystical traditions as well as what they believed. The history of the telegraph. About 15 hours of music theory for a story I didn’t write a word in. Etc.

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
I'm currently on an FBI watch list. I've looked up the responses of our capitol in reference to an attack. I've also spoken to member of the DOD East Command about dungeon break scenarios. I had decided to research terrorists modi operandi

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
This bird decided to research how steel was made during the Middle Ages. Starting from the mining process, to the blacksmithing process... also, the solubility of the ores, the geography of where they would be found... Which kind of smithing techniques would be commonly used, as well as mine designs...

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
fluid dynamics of blood and the PSI and squirt distance of a punctured carotid artery of a healthy 30 year old male after he ran approximately 1.2 miles.

edit: Less grim, but I've actually learned blacksmithing (i'm not very good, but I understand the basics and principles) as well as HEMA and classic archery just so I could represent it better in my writing. I take a lot of liberties, but it's more about knowing the rules so I know how to break them.

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
I went to the State Library to research on what would be the suitable geography to build a shipyard as well as how to build one. The only answer I got in return is that it was not public interest so only engineering uni has those information.

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
Every… single… parts and functions… of famous firearms throughout history..…… :sweating_profusely: :blob_blank:

So_Indecisive

Primordial sin of Sloth
It's not really weird but I had to have at least a superficial understanding of these if I wanted to pull of some plausible bullshit later.
ELASTIC COLLISION
‌MOMENTUM
‌VACCUMM
‌GENERAL RELATIVITY
‌INELASTIC COLLISION
‌FORCE
‌ACCELERATION
‌KINETIC ENERGY
‌ENERGY TRANSFORMATION

It's been a long study that made me realise I'd be cannon fodder of I get isekai'd