Character you like more than your mc

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Do you have a character in your story that you like more than your mc, but know that even if you like them they wouldn’t make a good protagonist?

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Nope! Last time that happened, I dropped the story and it hasn't seen the light of day!

I loved writing it, but I couldn't stand that I liked the side character more than the main character. The MC had compelling suffering, an amusing characterization of indulging in alcohol, and a major case of insanity combined with worshipping the main character.
But the side character was just... better. Less suffering, but more character, and that was what was important.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I have a character I made as annoying as possible while still being a part of the main cast. He's a noisy, spineless, foul-mouthed, cross-dressing attention (and literal man)whore. And he's a riot to write. So yes, on account of trolling everyone, myself included, I currently like this character more than I should xD

Obsoleteness

Not yet, but if I by some freak accident invest enough into another character that makes me like them better than my MC then I will be sure to kill them off, no competition allowed :blobspearpeek:

J_Chemist

I have a character who's background is so much fun to write that I had to kill them off so I wouldn't keep wasting pages on her.
This is how I have also dealt with the more exciting characters.

If I don't off them or turn away from them, I could end up writing entire novels about my side characters and their exploits.

bulmabriefs144

Do you have a character in your story that you like more than your mc, but know that even if you like them they wouldn’t make a good protagonist?
A couple, actually. No, I don't mean a few characters. I mean a literal romantic pairing, I totally root for.

Zoe (originally Anideshi) and Azrael.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
This is how I have also dealt with the more exciting characters.

If I don't off them or turn away from them, I could end up writing entire novels about my side characters and their exploits.
Same. Why are some side characters so much better than the MC.

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
I always create a female character in my books who's impulsive, rude, and uses tons of vulgar language (reminds me of a friend who's the total opposite of me). In only three instances was I able to make them the main characters, though they were all short stories; And only because the book(s) were more plot-driven than character-driven, so I could get away with her doing stupid stuff.