Flow

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
When I get in the flow, I make fewer mistakes. But as soon as I start loosing steam, I can make more than 5 mistakes in the same sentence. I had about 500 words with no mistakes today. And they are all from the same scene. My writing speed also slows down.

Do you have such episodes as well?

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
I think dora talks about different flow. Getting into the zone.
Yes, the zone. Maybe when I stop thinking about stuff other than the story, I make fewer mistakes. Who knows?

Also, I actually came out to my colleagues that I write books. They are more accepting of it than my old colleagues. At least they are not telling me to quit. Good people! =)

quagma

subatomic cephalopod
Sometimes I just start writing and see where it takes me. Then I find a way to fit it in to the rest of the story. But sometimes I'm very bad at this, and instead of getting into the zone where the words and concepts flow naturally, I get distracted and start overthinking things.

Things like: am I using too many words? Not enough to get across the concept? Did I capture this characters nature properly, or is it just tropes and simple one liners I cobbled together in the hopes that it makes something coherent?
Am I remembering to not just describe the next thing that happens, bit to add personalization to the Narrator or POV character?

Sometimes I just get overwhelmed with insecurities in my writing that it takes me out of the flow entirely, preferring to distract myself and procrastinate rather than being confident in my own writing skills. Sometimes I only get a few sentences down in a day, and the next, nearly 4k words.

Sagacious_Punk

Resident solarpunk
I have a hard time getting into a flow. But when I do, everything happens just right.

The words, the sentences, the whole narrative - it glides, it's nigh-flawless, reads like a song.

They don't call it "flow" for nothing.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
When I get in the flow, I make fewer mistakes. But as soon as I start loosing steam, I can make more than 5 mistakes in the same sentence. I had about 500 words with no mistakes today. And they are all from the same scene. My writing speed also slows down.

No flow, only writing and correcting mista….

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost

Yep.

Getting into the 'flow' of things is just basically letting out the 'held back' ideas in your mind cascading down your manuscript. It's in these times that you feel like you can tackle anything and anyone, and you are in a frenzy to just write.

As for losing steam, it's more like realizing that those you've written didn't fit the prose you've written while you're on a roll.

Any case, both are potentially beneficial, and damaging, like a double-edged sword. You have to know when you should use it.

SainS

Depends a lot whether the flow happens in morning or at 4am. Late night tends to be more zany ideas, less coherent text.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Personally, I make more mistakes when I enter that flow. I'm pretty sure the reason for that is when I am completely focused on writing, I miss the occasional errors I make much more often than when I'm writing normally (for a definition of normalcy) and often reread my sentences, usually to
check what I wrote either because I'm not sure how to tie the next thing to what I've written or I'm wondering how to go from where I am.

Notadate

Martial artist have the flow to. When your in the zone and peak of your performance

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
When I get into the flow, I tend to write more and make more mistakes and have a harder time catching them. Because of that, I make sure to limit myself before I get too into it.