Scribble Hub Forum

Agentt
Agentt
Those are some radical thoughts about nature of therapy @Anon2021 . How did you come to think of it like that?
Anon2024
Anon2024
@Agentt You have to recognize that psychology is a soft-science and the variability of human psychology is vast. Not everyone needs counseling or therapy, but some benefit. I just happen to fall under the "not beneficial" category.
Agentt
Agentt
I prefer calling it more of a young science, but I do understand where you are coming from. It is hard to find a therapist which is compatible with you.

It's still incorrect to call it BS which only works on low IQ/EQ people though. One not cooperating with the therapist is not a sign of superior intelligence.
Anon2024
Anon2024
@Agentt Since it's not a hard science I'm free to call it what I want based on anecdotal evidence, and this is from someone who works side by side with therapists everyday. People with a high IQ/EQ don't usually have issues and cooperation just means going along with the BS. Can it get you up and doing things? Yes, but it's still you who is doing it, not the therapist.
Agentt
Agentt
It's not like any of the hard sciences will hold your hands either. And I can use that argument for every other subject! Doctors won't do my work for me, so they are useless as well. Indeed, people with high EQ usually don't have problems, but the IQ part is completely false and just an over-generalization.
Agentt
Agentt
Again, that argument applies to every subject you have resentment towards. Maths is BS, learning photosynthesis is too! Anything you don't have an interest in turns into that.
Anon2024
Anon2024
@Agentt No, it doesn't apply to math. Math has formulas and you always arrive at the same answer if applied correctly. Doctors can prescribe a medication that will affect your biology. I already gave you the anecdotal fallacy on my part, so stop with the false analogy fallacies please. Psychology has no "same answer" because it's too variable to be considered a science.
Anon2024
Anon2024
I already said counseling/therapy can help some people... actually the majority of people but there are a few people who won't benefit from it and it has more to do with IQ/EQ/Critical thinking. Reason? If your counselor is dumber than you they're not going to help because you can see through their textbook techniques. Those techniques are where the BS comes from.
Agentt
Agentt
it is variable because minds are different~~
just like how bodies and equations are different!
it's not like doctors prescribe the same stuff to everyone either. they always have a heck ton of alternatives available in case someone is allergic to anything.

but yes, your argument does expose why they call psychology a young science, it is far too inexperienced and we know far too little.
Anon2024
Anon2024
If you really want to break it down, every person has a different answer. That's why sometimes one therapist might work while another doesn't, but the study of psychology right now is mostly conjecture and has very little if any science based in it.
Anon2024
Anon2024
Hence why I call most therapy BS.
Agentt
Agentt
...why is recognizing the technique stopping you from doing it though?

If you recognize it is a technique to get you to open up to yourself. Then just open up to him. If he says to think positive things only, then just do it. why would seeing through his tricks make you think they are fraudulent?
Anon2024
Anon2024
@Agentt It's not fraudulent, but if you know the tricks then you also know they're not always there to help you. Majority of them are there to get a paycheck. A therapist only works if you can actually trust them, and the higher your EQ/IQ the less likely you are to trust someone who is just going through the motions.
Anon2024
Anon2024
Would you trust a stranger with everything you have just because they have a degree and license next to their name?
Not to mention in some countries Therapists are mandated reporters so why would you tell them things they will report about you?
Agentt
Agentt
...yes?
i mean, no for the reporter part, but yes to the license part. after all, we trust every other profession, even ones without a degree, like a mechanic.

and having higher EQ means you are supposed to trust others!
Anon2024
Anon2024
@Agentt I disagree, I believe having a higher EQ means you are better able to sense whether someone is trustworthy or not. Unfortunately most are not. Also, no, we don't trust every other profession like mechanics unless there is some sort of liability in place. Mechanics get burned if they do shoddy work, a psychologist? How can we prove their work is shoddy?
Anon2024
Anon2024
Again... -_- Anyway. We're going around in circles. I'm done. Let's not bother Paul's profile anymore.
K5Rakitan
K5Rakitan
Medicine is definitely not a hard science. Don't get me started on epidurals combined with Pitocin during labor and how that can trigger fetal distress and emergency C-sections. It's up to people to weigh their options and decide if they're willing to take certain risks.
K5Rakitan
K5Rakitan
"Majority of them are there to get a paycheck." That's the same with doctors. Hospitals get more money from C-sections, so of course they try to get trick you into one.
K5Rakitan
K5Rakitan
It's up to you to take all advice with a grain of salt and decide for yourself.