• Thread starter Deleted member 89995
  • Start date

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
First of all, listen to us when we talk.
Pft. All you do is talk. If we listened to you, when would we have time to drink beer or fart?
Now if you will excuse me, I have to go chop down a tree, then stare off into the distance during a flashback to trauma I am unable to share with anyone while shedding a single tear to a sunset for I am...

SIGMA MEGA CHAD
I don't understand women either and I am one.
My wife is the same way.

Her mother died from cancer at a very young age and she was raised by her father. I swear the woman is more masculine than me sometimes. She has no understanding about women and frequently asks me to explain them to her.

Which is an example of my previous post. She was raised to be supremely practical by a hardnosed factory working father who brooded over his dead wife for the rest of his life.

Even so, she might not have understood women, but she understood men and absolutely dominated our gaming group socially. In a good way. She wasnt the leader, but she was great at supporting the leader and keeping everyone focused.

We held several gaming conventions for the years we went to college together.

My point is, she might not have have had ANY socialization from other women, but she still, instinctively displayed the ability to understand social and group dynamics.

Although she was a good scrapper. Her weapon of choice were knives or thrown monkey wrenches. She kept a bunch on her bike to throw at cars that pissed her off.

Which brings up another aspect of women, at least in modern society, we are far more likely to let them get away with violence. Shes stabbed me twice to the point of needing stitches and I still married her. She could have killed people by shattering their windshields while driving.

But she was HOT as hell. I mean stacked. Crazy sexy. Mmm! She is worth every scar, I tell you.

The pussy pass is real.

Last edited:

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
i dont understand women
Women are a lot like you, human. If you can put yourself in the shoes of another, then writing a female character isn't as complicated as you think.

Le_ther

Don't put a bias or perhaps a women rights/ any protest claims. Make the character a true character not relying on equality but more of a human that has strengths and flaws. Don't make them 1 dimensional character that supports a person just because she loves him/her(this just makes them a obsessive item than a character). Lastly, just write them how true independent women actually acts in real life you can use your mother or relatives as a reference if your a guy, if your a woman you probably know it yourself, and if your binary you can also just observe or act a woman.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Step one: Write a character
Step two: say they're female
Step three: ???
Step four: profit

TotallyHuman

Women are a lot like you, human. If you can put yourself in the shoes of another, then writing a female character isn't as complicated as you think.
As a psychopath, I take offense at your assumption of me being able to put myself into somebody else's shoes

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Believable is a long stretch, try write one with the following traits:
1. Thinks of her actions before and after.
2. Admits mistakes and resolves them, if not have the effort to resolve them.
3. Is calm and seldom yells or bursts with expletives.

Just these three traits is enough to make a likeable character, be they male or female.

ACertainPassingUser

As a psychopath, I take offense at your assumption of me being able to put myself into somebody else's shoes
I also take offense on the unknown guy who coined the term "put yourself into somebody else's shoes".

I hated other people shoes, it stinks and smelly, full of disgusting bacteria and who knows when the last time they washed the damn thing.

Despite I'm being opportunist, I don't even want to put myself into someone else shoe and run away with it, n̶o̶t̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ especially if the shoe is expensive. Jail sucks, criminal record sucks.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
Well, it's a bit complicated. It depends on what kind of female character you want to write.

"Believable" is a long stretch. Some people might think a character is believable and others might not. Sometimes writers wish to appeal to a broad audience by creating unrealistic female characters that are well-liked and sometimes the "realistic" female character ends up being unappealing.

I don't know the right path, but I'm currently writing a female protagonist and I can say that in order to create a believable female character you must write her with a purpose in the story, a goal of her own, and a personality of her own.

For purpose I mean her intended role in the story. What do you want to convey? Is she destined to be a great hero? A love interest? A background character? Female characters mean to be protagonists are written in a different way. You need to give them a struggle of their own, something they need to overcome that's different from a male protagonist. For example, sexual violence will always be a threat. Being dismissed for being a woman will always be a thing. Being underestimated for being a woman will always be a thing. Being harassed will always be a thing. There are things that we take for granted as men but are a huge issue for women. The underdog male and the underdog female are very different from one another. Take that in mind while writing your female character.

For goal I mean every single character should have a goal in life, a dream they want to achieve. We all hate a male character whose only goal is to make his love interest happy. The same goes for women. A woman whose only goal is to meet the perfect guy is boring, especially if she's the protagonist. Of course, that's excusable if you are writing a romance but even in a romance, a woman should have a goal of her own. Sharing a goal with your love interest is how it should be done, not her being the goal for him or he the goal for her. A simple goal would be she just wants to prove herself. Or she is following the steps of other heroes and she realizes is much more difficult for a woman than a man. Or maybe she just wants to become a great lawyer, or a doctor, or whatever. Maybe she enlisted to pay for college tuition and thus is a soldier only for convenience, saving her squadmates is only part of the job.

For personality I mean, men and women face different challenges in real life, and most men are unaware of the difficulties women face, or we simply don't care. We might think of being cat-called on the street as some minor nuance for us men, but for women, that's a big deal. We might not care about what our bosses think of us but for women, that's a big deal. We usually think that men are rational and women are emotional and that's usually right but the way women think is entirely different than our way of thinking. They can be just as logical and calculating as men are. Socializing is a big deal. Interpersonal relations are a big deal. Men simply don't care what others think about them, a woman does, and for a long time, it was crucial to her survival. Even their sexual desire is different! Women are constantly thinking about that just like men, even if they aren't interested in anyone. They might be virgins but the thought is always there, and unlike virgin men, society adores virgin women. Remember, men go after as many women as they can, and women find that attractive. Women go after the very best man they can find, and men find that attractive. Women that go after many men are "SLUTS". Men that go after only one woman are "SIMPS". You don't have to focus on that but a writer can use that to create conflict, maybe society is constantly reminding your female protagonist that she hasn't married yet, or there is this creepy guy constantly harassing her, or maybe she has her eyes fixed on the handsome knight to even notice the blacksmith apprentice that doesn't think he has a chance with her. Take that in mind while writing your female character.

Well, I don't know what else to say. I think that answers it. Looking forward to reading other people's comments.
First of all, listen to us when we talk.
That might be ok with certain women but is poor advice, widely speaking. Most women tell men what they want to hear, not what they need to hear. In this case, I would say is important to listen to women since he's trying to write a believable female character, but I would recommend following their advice only in specific circumstances.

Last edited:

Africanchieftainsson

Last in line of succession

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
For purpose I mean her intended role in the story.
I showed your answer to my wife. Her response was, "I can't be bothered to make a new account. Tell him to kick himself in the balls."

AHEM.

Please kick yourself in the balls.

I will attempt to clairify my wife's objection to your post as well as add my own.

For example, sexual violence will always be a threat.
Sexual violence is always a threat for everyone. If you go by lifetime stats, it's about 50/50. If a woman wants to avoid sexual violence, you can improve your chances by 50% by never drinking alcohol. Avoiding men who drink alcohol will improve it to about 80%. However, for men, it is alcohol, but also YOUTH and criminals. Men tend to get sexual assaulted while they are young and/or involved in felony level crimes.

Otherwise, being a woman in modern society is great, violence wise. A man is about 9 times more likely to be a victim of any give crime.

Being dismissed for being a woman will always be a thing.
Citation needed. I get dismissed ALL THE GOD DAMN TIME. In fact, when I bring up a suggestion, it is almost always rejected, EVEN IF I'M RIGHT. I got an IQ of 146. I helped invent the third most popular theory of quantum gravity. I changed federal law on a goddamn monthly basis. Thanks to my wife's illness, I have learned more about pulmonary diseases than most experts in the North East of America. I am by every metric a genius, and when I point out the OBVIOUS TREATMENT FOR THE CLIENTS, the nurse will automatically ignore my suggestion, until MONTHS LATER when she will try it and find out I was right, but by then, she forgot.

And I suspect it is because her hair is dyed an unnatural color and I happen to be white, male, and 50. No proof, because, you know, THERE ARE NO OTHER WHITE, MALES at my job anymore. Used to be the majority 10 years ago, now they all either quit, or got fired.

Uh... Not saying jet fuel melts steel beams, but you know... 2+2=...

People in power dismissing others is the NORM for EVERYONE. A woman THINKING that this is common to only women? Now that's a female trait.

Being underestimated for being a woman will always be a thing.
If you saw me, and knew my job was Professional Ass-Wiper, I doubt you would suspect that my hobby involves figuring out how gravity works on a quantum level. Underestimation isn't just a woman thing.

Being harassed will always be a thing.
Now there we have an actually difference. Because in most societies, women are NOT the ones to start the courtship process. However, we have redefined Harassment to mean, 'HE IS UNATTRACTIVE AND I DIDN'T WANT HIM HITTING ON ME.' A man approaching you ONCE and trying to start up a conversation is not harassment.

However, if he has the three sixes (Six Foot Tall, Six Figure Salary, Six Inch Dick), it is NOT harassment.

Side note, men do get harassed, but only about 20% of the male population. And because society does not recognize that men can be harassed, it goes undocumented.

Other side note: Until 2012, it was not legally possible for an adult male in the US to be raped by a woman. before that, it was only sexual assault.

For personality I mean, men and women face different challenges in real life, and most men are unaware of the difficulties women face, or we simply don't care.
And you can say the same in reverse. This is not a female only problem.

We might think of being cat-called on the street as some minor nuance for us men, but for women, that's a big deal.
Okay. I have been catcalled. By women. Screaming out of a car that they loved my ass. ON A BUSY STREET. Like four of them.
Oh. I did not complain.

If you actual go into the studies of catcalling, you will find that it is in declined and no longer socially acceptable to the point of almost non-existence. Furthermore, we run into the harassment issue of 'When it is a man I am attracted to, it is not harassment.' In fact, if you breech the issue with women, you will find about about forty they MISS BEING CATCALLED. This is a non-issue and to even bring it up is to just bring up stereotypes.

Dude. DO YOUR RESEARCH. You are a WRITER FOR FUCK'S SAKE! You have a DUTY to be as factually accurate as possible. Anything else is propaganda.

We might not care about what our bosses think of us but for women, that's a big deal.
Women care about society in general more than men. Women are much more likely to judge their self-esteem on the opinion of others. However, I find it odd you are singling out 'bosses'.

We usually think that men are rational and women are emotional and that's usually right but the way women think is entirely different than our way of thinking.
No. Men are monotaskers, women multitaskers.

If you do a typical IQ test, men, on average are 'smarter' than women. (as if IQ tests worked)

However, they did a study where they took the questions and broke them up so it was basically random. It wasn't all math questions, all spacial questions, all word questions in order, but they broke it up so you had to constantly jump back and forth between multiple pages while keeping track of multiple questions at the same time.

Now, since an IQ test is on a sliding scale, it shouldn't matter. the average IQ is 100, because that's what you make the average score on a test. It is always 100. So, IQs for men and women should, percentage wise, be the same.

Men and women's IQ scores were equal.

Now, one can imply that men are still smarter, but I think that there are other factors at play. I do not hold much stock in IQ tests in general. As I said. I got a 146 and I'm a fuckin idiot. It's a good tool for looking at groups, not individuals or making inferances.

That said, Women are clearly better at handling more than one task at a time.

Men on the other hand handle one task at a time. BEING EMOTIONAL IS A TASK. We are not good at being upset and performing an action. A woman has no problem being pissed and doing something. Men don't do that. If we are angry it disrupts our ability to focus on a task, whereas women seem to have no problem

It leads to the issue where women think men think like women. They don't understand why we cannot FEEL and DO. That's not in the brain's architecture. And so, it leads to misunderstandings like, 'Men have no feelings'. No. It's just when we do FEEL, it is the only thing we will be doing.

And often it completely blindsides women. A woman experiencing a man who is JUST FEELING, especially when it is a negative one, is usually scared, and often afterwords wants to end the relationship. A man sobbing/crying in front of a woman results in her opinion of him dropping to half of previous scores. I'm skipping over much of the nuance here, but these are the broad strokes.

Socializing is a big deal. Interpersonal relations are a big deal. Men simply don't care what others think about them, a woman does, and for a long time, it was crucial to her survival.
Broad strokes, true.

Even their sexual desire is different! Women are constantly thinking about that just like men, even if they aren't interested in anyone.
Broad strokes, true.

They might be virgins but the thought is always there, and unlike virgin men, society adores virgin women.
Ehhh... I don't have time to explain this. No. Just... myth.

Remember, men go after as many women as they can, and women find that attractive.
Myth.

Women go after the very best man they can find, and men find that attractive.
Sort of.

Women that go after many men are "SLUTS".
Sort of.

Men that go after only one woman are "SIMPS".
Dude. EVERY MAN IS A SIMP. What people label simp is baseline male. Jeeze. Simp is a term being used to shame males into not spending money on the WRONG women.

You don't have to focus on that but a writer can use that to create conflict, maybe society is constantly reminding your female protagonist that she hasn't married yet,
Depends on the society. Certainly not a modern one.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
I showed your answer to my wife. Her response was, "I can't be bothered to make a new account. Tell him to kick himself in the balls."

AHEM.

I will attempt to clairify my wife's objection to your post as well as add my own.

Sexual violence is always a threat for everyone. If you go by lifetime stats, it's about 50/50. If a woman wants to avoid sexual violence, you can improve your chances by 50% by never drinking alcohol. Avoiding men who drink alcohol will improve it to about 80%. However, for men, it is alcohol, but also YOUTH and criminals. Men tend to get sexual assaulted while they are young and/or involved in felony level crimes.

Otherwise, being a woman in modern society is great, violence wise. A man is about 9 times more likely to be a victim of any give crime.

Citation needed. I get dismissed ALL THE GOD DAMN TIME. In fact, when I bring up a suggestion, it is almost always rejected, EVEN IF I'M RIGHT. I got an IQ of 146. I helped invent the third most popular theory of quantum gravity. I changed federal law on a goddamn monthly basis. Thanks to my wife's illness, I have learned more about pulmonary diseases than most experts in the North East of America. I am by every metric a genius, and when I point out the OBVIOUS TREATMENT FOR THE CLIENTS, the nurse will automatically ignore my suggestion, until MONTHS LATER when she will try it and find out I was right, but by then, she forgot.

And I suspect it is because her hair is dyed an unnatural color and I happen to be white, male, and 50. No proof, because, you know, THERE ARE NO OTHER WHITE, MALES at my job anymore. Used to be the majority 10 years ago, now they all either quit, or got fired.

People in power dismissing others is the NORM for EVERYONE. A woman THINKING that this is common to only women? Now that's a female trait.

If you saw me, and knew my job was Professional Ass-Wiper, I doubt you would suspect that my hobby involves figuring out how gravity works on a quantum level. Underestimation isn't just a woman thing.

Now there we have an actually difference. Because in most societies, women are NOT the ones to start the courtship process. However, we have redefined Harassment to mean, 'HE IS UNATTRACTIVE AND I DIDN'T WANT HIM HITTING ON ME.' A man approaching you ONCE and trying to start up a conversation is not harassment.

However, if he has the three sixes (Six Foot Tall, Six Figure Salary, Six Inch Dick), it is NOT harassment.

Side note, men do get harassed, but only about 20% of the male population. And because society does not recognize that men can be harassed, it goes undocumented.

Other side note: Until 2012, it was not legally possible for an adult male in the US to be raped by a woman. before that, it was only sexual assault.

Okay. I have been catcalled. By women. Screaming out of a car that they loved my ass. ON A BUSY STREET. Like four of them.
Oh. I did not complain.

If you actual go into the studies of catcalling, you will find that it is in declined and no longer socially acceptable to the point of almost non-existence. Furthermore, we run into the harassment issue of 'When it is a man I am attracted to, it is not harassment.' In fact, if you breech the issue with women, you will find about about forty they MISS BEING CATCALLED. This is a non-issue and to even bring it up is to just bring up stereotypes.

Dude. DO YOUR RESEARCH. You are a WRITER FOR FUCK'S SAKE! You have a DUTY to be as factually accurate as possible. Anything else is propaganda.

Women care about society in general more than men. Women are much more likely to judge their self-esteem on the opinion of others. However, I find it odd you are singling out 'bosses'.

If you do a typical IQ test, men, on average are 'smarter' than women. (as if IQ tests worked)

However, they did a study where they took the questions and broke them up so it was basically random. It wasn't all math questions, all spacial questions, all word questions in order, but they broke it up so you had to constantly jump back and forth between multiple pages while keeping track of multiple questions at the same time.

Now, since an IQ test is on a sliding scale, it shouldn't matter. the average IQ is 100, because that's what you make the average score on a test. It is always 100. So, IQs for men and women should, percentage wise, be the same.

Now, one can imply that men are still smarter, but I think that there are other factors at play. I do not hold much stock in IQ tests in general. As I said. I got a 146 and I'm a fuckin idiot. It's a good tool for looking at groups, not individuals or making inferances.

Men on the other hand handle one task at a time. BEING EMOTIONAL IS A TASK. We are not good at being upset and performing an action. A woman has no problem being pissed and doing something. Men don't do that. If we are angry it disrupts our ability to focus on a task, whereas women seem to have no problem

It leads to the issue where women think men think like women. They don't understand why we cannot FEEL and DO. That's not in the brain's architecture. And so, it leads to misunderstandings like, 'Men have no feelings'. No. It's just when we do FEEL, it is the only thing we will be doing.

And often it completely blindsides women. A woman experiencing a man who is JUST FEELING, especially when it is a negative one, is usually scared, and often afterwords wants to end the relationship. A man sobbing/crying in front of a woman results in her opinion of him dropping to half of previous scores. I'm skipping over much of the nuance here, but these are the broad strokes.

Broad strokes, true.

Broad strokes, true.

Myth.

Sort of.

Sort of.

Dude. EVERY MAN IS A SIMP. What people label simp is baseline male. Jeeze. Simp is a term being used to shame males into not spending money on the WRONG women.

Breaking News.
Old man beats lizard with a stick. More at 9.
Man, western society has seen better days.

Last edited:

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
Breaking News.
Old man beats lizard with a stick. More at 9.
Man, western society has seen better days.
That's cruelty against endangered animals, I was just trying to be helpful :blob_no:

AHEM.

Oh. I did not complain.

Broad strokes, true.

Broad strokes, true.

Myth.

Sort of.

Sort of.

Kind sir, I did my research. I just tried to be helpful and do a basic guide to writing, not a complete psychological analysis.

Yeah, I tackled some issues in broad strokes only, my post was kinda long already and didn't want to make it even longer. I used the terms "SLUT" and "SIMP" within quotation marks exactly because those terms are subjective. I didn't mean to hurt anybody and certainly, you did a way better job at explaining it than I did. :blob_pat_sad:

And yeah, some points I mentioned don't apply to the current "modern" society. Maybe the human experience in third-world countries is different than in first-world or maybe is just because I'm biased towards medieval-fantasy societies.

Oh, and I get my balls kicked on a daily basis, no need to kick them further than the daily quote. :blob_no:

Last edited: