• Thread starter Deleted member 89995
  • Start date

Tumbmar

You probably just need a shift in mindset. I had for the longest time, pursued passions based on being unfulfilled with either stuff I was consuming or producing. But over time I realized doing stuff out of frustration, ennui, or as you put it, sadness, doesn't benefit in terms of long term results, happiness, and overall mental health.

I would suggest reflecting on what makes you want to do stuff, because I'm definitely sure it's not your emotional state that's really driving your motivation. Something more that's related to it. Introspection can go a long way in fixing these kinds of issues, but of course it's going to take a lot of time and work.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Cipiteca396

[Contradiction]: Imperative
Any emotion is a valid source of inspiration. That's why people always describe art as emotion.

If you don't like that sadness is your primary motivation, that's different. I'd actually argue against introspection in that case. It's better to talk it out with a friend, family, and/or a therapist.

Also get a pet. Then your primary motivation will be getting rid of the stains. I mean, 'Joy'.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I wouldn't say it's always about sadness for me, but there's certainly a lot of wish fulfillment that goes into my writing, which is sometimes motivated by sadness.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Depends. Does being motivated by sadness produce results that you can be happy about? Van Gogh was depressed and mainly motivated by it but through his paintings, he showed the beauty that he saw and desired in the world. Sadly, he will never know the impact that he had on the world.

ACertainPassingUser

In my opinion,

It's simply uncommon.

Sadness is too broad to be categorized as rare or weird source of motivation.

But in public eyes, it's simply not normal since most public people didn't really sad and if they do, they simply hide it.

Well, hopefully all those sadness not going to become a great depression in your mind.