A Discussion on Reading Strategies and their Results

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Hello! I just want to start a small discussion on how, why, & when we read. Whether you read slowly or fast. If you prefer one genera over another. How long and how much you read at a time. How you decided what to read, and other things like that! Anyways I guess I will go first.
How I read: I typically use a text to speech app to read. Sometimes I have music in the background to help me focus.

Why: I do this for a couple of reasons, the first being I can do other things while reading. This also allows me to read way more things both faster and without getting tired. Think of it like listening to an audio book.

When: I read basically all day, or until I get tired of reading for the moment. There are also times when I spend 1-3 days looking for something to read.

What do I read: I typically read things that are fairly long. Mostly so that I don’t have to go searching for something new to read while in the middle of something else. I tend to try everything, with the exception of Sci-fi and smut.

The positive Results of my strategy: I read somewhere between 500,000-800,000 words a week. I can read while walking, shopping, eating, and anything in between. I have ~500 tabs open filled with both potential things to read next and series I have caught up to to wait for more chapters.

The negative Results of my strategy: I where headphones all day everyday, which sometimes makes it difficult for me to pay attention to my surroundings. I have become even more of a hermit. MTL’s are even worse. I spend more time reading than I do writing. The ratio isn’t even close, something like 1sec-writing/1000sec-reading.

SailusGebel

How I read: If it's not a printed book, I use my PC or my phone. When I read on my PC, I usually listen to music.

Why: Because I can't concentrate otherwise and won't digest the content.

When: Whenever I'm not working or doing other stuff.

What do I read: I read everything, with the exception of BL, GL, and sometimes GB.

The positive Results of my strategy: I actually read.

The negative Results of my strategy: I haven't complained to myself even once, so none.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
How I read: If it's not a printed book, I use my PC or my phone. When I read on my PC, I usually listen to music.

Why: Because I can't concentrate otherwise and won't digest the content.

When: Whenever I'm not working or doing other stuff.

What do I read: I read everything, with the exception of BL, GL, and sometimes GB.

The positive Results of my strategy: I actually read.

The negative Results of my strategy: I haven't complained to myself even once, so none.
Nice!

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
If reading online, I have my computer aloud to me. Otherwise, I slowly and carefully read real books while I poop.

i mostly search them based on tags. filtering out things i want and didn't want to expect from the story.

after that, i try to click ones i find the most interesting. whether it's from the cover, synopsis or the overall premise.

try reading the first chapters, seeing whether their writing draws me in or not. else i'll just drop the story and look for something else.

read until i find something that made me drop it.

else i continue until it's finished (if it's a completed story) or just forget it existed since im too lazy to wait for the next chapters.

LiteraryWho

Depends on the context, why I'm reading something, and the book's quality. If it's some published work I'm reading for "style" purposes, I'll usually just read a few dozen pages a day until I either get interested, or reach the end.

If it's something I'm interested in, I'll binge read until I reach the end. If that was a completed novel/work, great, if it was volume 1, part a, subsection alpha of some "mega-epic" I'll drop it. If it's not published, and I'm not interested/don't like the writing, then I'll drop it almost immediately.

otosewrites

As an author, this is pretty interesting to read. I thought everyone read on mobile, but it seems like plenty of people read on their PC as well!