A review on foam clay

Agentt

Thighs
I tried foam clay for the first time yesterday.

I am quite a novice in the art of clay, and till now I have only been practicing with monster clay: a wax based clay which never dries.

Since India is always hot, the wax always remains soft and nice to mold. Even if it does freezes on any cold day, some body heat is enough to turn it moldable.

Anyways, foam clay.

As the name suggests: it's a clay with a foam like texture. It dries into complete foam.

Advantages:
1. Air dry

2. Very silky and soft when wet. It was even possible to make fibres just by streching it. It is very easy to make fine details.

3. The foam like texture is great for producing something organic. Even when dry it retains some amount of softness and flexibility, like a foam. I would heavily recommend foam clay for cosplay purposes or any prop making.

4. Great cohesion and less adhesive. The clay barely sticks to your hand so it's great to work with. It does however basically welds to itself at the slightest touch, so you don't have to press the fragile fine details to ensure they stick.

5. It is mega cheap.

Disadvantages:
1. It dries very quickly within a day. So you have to complete your project fairly fast

2. It lacks any structural strength. If you make anything more than a centimetre tall in height, expect it to get crushed under it's own weight.

3. It is super light, basically just paper. That can be an advantage but I am grumpy how I woke up this morning to learn the clay I left out for drying was basically blown all over my room because of my fan.

So that's it. It doesn't seem to have any practicality over cosclay. If you just want to make small details though, foam clay is great for it's extremely cheap price.

Agentt

Thighs
We'll stick with playdough for now, but good to know for when my kid earns more dexterity points and wants to keep something he makes.
Ah, you can introduce him to paper mache! I used to love making that with my family with old newspapers.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
Just start sculpting with it. I did use foam clay for my miniature live sculpting class but alas my cat thought it was was an enemy and with an almighty slap broke it into pieces.. it was still wet and then proceeded to stare into my soul. Bionic is a freaking sadist I swear...

Agentt

Thighs
Just start sculpting with it. I did use foam clay for my miniature live sculpting class but alas my cat thought it was was an enemy and with an almighty slap broke it into pieces.. it was still wet and then proceeded to stare into my soul. Bionic is a freaking sadist I swear...
Can I have your cat?

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
Can I have your cat?
beware he does not like anyone (apart from my sister and sometimes me lol) and is moody... I wouldn't be surprised if we saw in Cat News a new crime if I gave you Bionic for a day lmao. I cant give bionic... nope.. its FAMILY.. like fast n furious type family and it's a sadist I swear I can't get that theory out of my head... for the few events I just am sure he loves tormenting me.. still I love him the same.... its just fun games he plays

Agentt

Thighs
beware he does not like anyone (apart from my sister and sometimes me lol) and is moody... I wouldn't be surprised if we saw in Cat News a new crime if I gave you Bionic for a day lmao. I cant give bionic... nope.. its FAMILY.. like fast n furious type family and it's a sadist I swear I can't get that theory out of my head... for the few events I just am sure he loves tormenting me.. still I love him the same.... its just fun games he plays
It sounds a lot like orange cat behaviour.

If it really is a orange cat, that's just normal for it. You have to learn to be a cat lover and embrace the toxic relationship.
Did you had experience with it expanding while it dries? Since I find it hard to believe they got squished under their own weight/by pressure from my fan, I was wondering if it expands and spreads out in some way.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Ah, you can introduce him to paper mache! I used to love making that with my family with old newspapers.
Absolutely! It's on my list of things to do with him when he's a bit older.