A very British Isekai

Jemini

Here's the idea. A parody Isekai filled with a lot of British style comedy. Preferably, it should either be written by someone who is native to England or someone who is very familiar with the terms that are used in one of the more distinctive accents or dialects of the area, preferably one with a lot of local terms such as, for example, how "Truck-Kun" would be called a Lorry opening up for lines such as "and just because I got hit by some bloody lorry, now I am stuck here in the middle of some other God forsaken world that sure as bloody hell ain't Earth anymore."

There would be serious bonus points for fitting in Monty Python or Hitch-hiker's guide style comedy into it, but the primary aspect of what would make it British is just the general feel and the attention to small stuff. Also, how characters would seem to not be as upset as you think they should be about some big things but complain endlessly about tiny minutia that doesn't matter to anyone while the MC and large parts of the cast just consider that making small talk. (Imagine Sophie from Howel's Moving Castle as she's leaving town, apparently not so upset about the fact she's suddenly an old woman but talking endlessly about the joint pains and reduced levels of energy she has now none the less.)

It is very much a thing that has more to do with style than anything specific, but I think this could really be a hit.

Also, if you don't want to take on a project like this, if you have some background in the kinds of dialogue that would fit such a story idea then feel free to share some British terminology or some form of recommended viewing you feel showcases British comedy and use of the language well.

EDIT: BTW, I thought this up after imagining a scene before the MC gets Isekaied in which everyone in town is genre savvy except for the MC, and the MC keeps having to play the straight-man when everyone around him keeps talking as though your standard Isekai tropes are common sense.

Last edited:

Jemini

Isn't all comedy basically the same?
Spoken like someone who hasn't studied comedy.

Comedy can fall into several different categories, and each category in turn has several different manners of delivery. In short, there are as many faces to comedy as there are to writing itself.

To cover some of the broad "genres" of comedy, you have your shock comedy where it's based on content that is repugnant but in a funny way due to the delivery. There is physical comedy which mainly revolves around something painful happening. There is situational comedy which involves characters getting into situations that cause you to feel embarrassed enough for the characters that you wind up laughing (this normally tends to involve some kind of compromising situation that could appear sexual, but that's not the only delivery.) There is absurdist comedy which is a specific sub-type within situational comedy. These ones are the large portion of the non-sexual situational comedy, and often involves something that is just completely different from what you would call normal and the degree to which it violates what's expected but still somehow makes sense is a major contributor to the comedic effect. And finally, there is banter, which can be counted as a sub-type of any of the above scenarios except it's 100% in spoken form among the characters and the situation doesn't actually happen. (Just talked about by the characters.)

And, once again, the delivery makes a huge difference.

British comedy tends to largely favor absurdist comedy with sprinkles of banter that touches on the other "genres," but all of it has a very specific delivery in which they play it extremely straight and have some very well defined roles for their characters to fill. It's a pretty well developed branch of comedy down to almost a science.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Spoken like someone who hasn't studied comedy.

Comedy can fall into several different categories, and each category in turn has several different manners of delivery. In short, there are as many faces to comedy as there are to writing itself.

To cover some of the broad "genres" of comedy, you have your shock comedy where it's based on content that is repugnant but in a funny way due to the delivery. There is physical comedy which mainly revolves around something painful happening. There is situational comedy which involves characters getting into situations that cause you to feel embarrassed enough for the characters that you wind up laughing (this normally tends to involve some kind of compromising situation that could appear sexual, but that's not the only delivery.) There is absurdist comedy which is a specific sub-type within situational comedy. These ones are the large portion of the non-sexual situational comedy, and often involves something that is just completely different from what you would call normal and the degree to which it violates what's expected but still somehow makes sense is a major contributor to the comedic effect. And finally, there is banter, which can be counted as a sub-type of any of the above scenarios except it's 100% in spoken form among the characters and the situation doesn't actually happen. (Just talked about by the characters.)

And, once again, the delivery makes a huge difference.

British comedy tends to largely favor absurdist comedy but with a very specific delivery in which they play it extremely straight and have some very well defined roles for their characters to fill. It's a pretty well developed branch of comedy down to almost a science.
I stand corrected. I am not a comedy connisseur....

sereminar

Oh dang, when I saw the title my mind immediately jumped to Lord of the Flies which was so hilariously far off from what the actual thread is about :blob_joy:

But yeah, a Monty Python meets isekai would be so fun to read!

D

Deleted member 20302

Unfortunately, it may fly over a lot of heads considering the small percentage of users that are British. Based on the traffic graph, the largest percentage come from the US (and Britain is nowhere near) so it may not get traction here.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Unfortunately, it may fly over a lot of heads considering the small percentage of users that are British. Based on the traffic graph, the largest percentage come from the US (and Britain is nowhere near) so it may not get traction here.
Ah, yes

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
imagine waking up in the reincarnation circle and before the summoner could even get a word in some guy in a lime green life jacket comes to you with a baton screaming

oi m8 you got a dat re'incarnatin' loisence ye?

Jemini

DID SOMEONE SAID BRI'ISH!?
I weren't saying about using accent marks, I was saying what words you need to use to speak like a toff. Like, what you say like telling people you're really skin at the moment so asking you to lend a few quid. No kinda funny marks that make it harder to read what you said for that. Can use the whole proper spelling and be just fine so long as you're using the kinds of words you're meant to use.

I'm talking terminology here, not how to spell things all funny like. Ya got the terminology and the sentence structure right, you can almost hear the accent in your head if you happen to be familiar with it without having to mark out with ' marks wherever an unpronounced letter is.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I'm talking terminology here, not how to spell things all funny like.

I don't think everyone would talk like some British thug but hey, this is a good place to start.