About measurements

xuduxixi

a sloth that wants to be great
I'm no good at measurements, like how can someone just look at the tree in the distance and say it's seven fucking feet away from them? I can't do that, I'm bad with math.

However, I can't just put them away from my writing (right?). So if anyone has a tip or something plss teach me.

AmeronWerschrux

I'm no good at measurements, like how can someone just look at the tree in the distance and say it's seven fucking feet away from them? I can't do that, I'm bad with math.

However, I can't just put them away from my writing (right?). So if anyone has a tip or something plss teach me.
You can always go with approximating the distance with ambiguous words like, few meters if its close, a significant distance, if its neither too far nor too close, and simply describe it as far, well if its far

Anemic_Vampire

🌻Currently Hibernating🌹
Relatable. I am bad at describing the distance too, be it real life or writing.
I think what the previous post said is really helpful. You could be just ambiguous by saying, “The tree was some good seven feet away from the cat.”

I guess, it's not like viewers can actually tell if the distance difference is right or wrong. Anyway, all the best and good luck!

Twiska

Don't be exact; write from the character's POV. "It appeared to Jim to be about five metres away, " and you can substitute objects you and others know the rough length of. "He turned while running, and the creature was right behind him, about the length of a car away and gaining."

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
METAPHORS.

The tree was as far from me as I was close to touching a girl's boob.
The events he reminded me of were as far in the distant past as the last good Star Wars movie.
His eyes were as far apart as the distance between me and my father.

Stuff like that.

Other than that, don't use metric.
Use, 'We put a man on the moon" units.

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy

Imagine covering the distance in steps. On average, two steps are 1 to 1.5 meters, depending on your stride. Then convert the distance or keep it in steps. I recommend going outside for a walk and trying to visualize the spaces in your mind.

ParticleOfSand

Maybe random
The way I do it is compare it to a distance I already know. Say I know my garden is 5 meters long. Then when I look at a tree in a distance and I estimate that to be 2.5 gardens away. So that comes to 12.5 meters, give or take.

owotrucked

Chronic lecher masquerading as a writer
Your eyes will learn to gauge distance if you play any sport like soccer/archery/firearms, because you train with targets at set distance. The questionable part is quantifying with measurement units.

Physically it's completely in the realm of possibility: Not only you have two eyes to gauge depth in a static position, but you can also move around a bit and learn to figure out how to gauge distance based on that.

When measurement matters: Depending on countries, warning signposts are placed in standardized distance before the actual danger. DIY jobs will have you interact with measurements. Sports have also standardized markings, and navigating into these space can get you used to the sense of distance. If you spend hours shooting arrows at a 25m target, you'll damn know how to gauge 25m and how it affects your shooting.

Conclusion: You don't need to worry about distance if you never touch grass

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
Your eyes will learn to gauge distance if you play any sport like soccer/archery/firearms
This is me, and you’ll be surprised at how something is so close/far than you would expected. You could also use time-travled distance, like five-minute walk away, half a second of full sprint. If you tell me something is 100 meter away, I can’t visualize it, but if you said, about a minute of a leisure walk, I can visualize it perfectly

or you could just used the alternative measurement in bananas, laundry machines, and blue whales.

kitty_maine

Yeah, me too. I can't visualize distances at all. Somebody already said it, but using metaphors or approximations can be helpful! Like, "it was roughly a whole football field in length" or "thicker than a baseball bat" that kind of thing.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Okay, piece of advice - remotely detailed distance measurements is the last thing you need in your story. Instead of trying to measure and write down distances and sizes, vast majority of cases it's better if you focus on impressions, shapes, and comparisons instead. Metaphors and exaggerations can also be useful, but those shouldn't be overused.

The simplest example would replacing "he stood about a hundred meters away - she recognized him by the red cap on his head" with be something like "he stood much farther next to the towering buildings - enough she had trouble recognizing his face, but his red cap caught her eyes". There's no actual distance there, but why is it good?

One, it compares that bit of description with another, allowing to smoothly visualize the scene. You could say one thing is five meters tall and another is seven, but that still requires the reader to parse that information and process it. When you read one thing is taller almost by a half though, you can immediately tell how they compare to each other. And in the example, the person is compared to the huge buildings close to him, immediately conveying how small his figure is without any detailed descriptions.

Two, it appeals to the reader's imagination. You can always say someone stood a hundred meters away, but that's just a fact. How does he look? What's noticeable? By itself, it's not a great way to convey distances, but it can be used to greatly enhance the mental image of the scene - rather than describing an objective state, you describe a subjective view, which massively helps with immersion.

You can use those in various different situations, such as "the gnarled tree creeped out of the dense fog so close it almost seemed to wrap around the pair" or "my eyes snapped there and I squinted, trying to get a better look at the vague shape moving in the distance".