Add the ability to comment on reviews.

Mortrexo

I've never really thought of it, but today, it suddenly hit on me that SH is the only novel page, at least that I know of, where you can't actually answer a review. Is there a reason for it?

Edit: To clarify, I mean anybody can leave a comment below the review, not just the Author.
For Example, Webnovel:

1704546761752.png

Last edited:

MatchaChocolate69

Your Favorite Villain
I've never really thought of it, but today, it suddenly hit on me that SH is the only novel page, at least that I know of, where you can't actually answer a review. Is there a reason for it?
How I wish it could be done.
However, I imagine it would unleash some absurd flame wars. Maybe that's why this feature isn't included. It would become difficult for Tony to moderate.

Mortrexo

How I wish it could be done.
However, I imagine it would unleash some absurd flame wars. Maybe that's why this feature isn't included. It would become difficult for Tony to moderate.
I mean, engagement and discussion are part of posting online. The "flaming," if it happens, can be equally done in the comments of the novel. Reviews are the first impression many have on a novel, and people's ability to comment can clarify otherwise misleading reviews. A lengthy discussion about something also entails that the novel is something worth discussing, which, in turn, might tell the reader that reading it is worthwhile. Don't you think so?

For example, in my case, there is one review that says there is NTR, when my novel is a sweet romance, and the """NTR""" is role-play done in chapter 70 by the MC and one of her lovers. It's like, one chapter out of 700 chapters of my novel, and it was just a playful R-18 chapter that ends with a sweet scene. I had to ask via private messages to the reviewer, and thankfully, being a sweetheart, they clarified by editing the review.

DannyTheDaikon

| Azure tamer | Harbinger of chaos and soup
On one hand I can see a good use for this feature, since people can write anything in the review and it would be nice to have the ability to clarify things.
On the other, I can see a potential for massive shitstorm when authors that don't handle critique well get the option to fight with legit reviews.

SailusGebel

Oh? Could you elaborate? I personally can't see a downside.
The downside is that not every author is a good person. I believe that a lot of people will abuse this feature. I'm not saying you are going to abuse it, nor am I accusing anyone on this forum. But I've seen authors on main site, that don't visit forums, doing questionable stuff. And this is only my opinion based on nothing, but I don't believe that there are more honest authors, than authors who chase after money and fame. This will help them a lot more than it will help authors who won't abuse it. Remember that thread when someone wanted a dumb protagonist tag? Are authors with dumb protagonists going to use it? Same here. Will majority NOT abuse this feature? I think it will be abused.

There is a couple more points I want to say. If the review is truly completely misleading or a straight-up lie, you should report it. Report it, state why it's wrong, give some evidence, and I believe Tony will delete it. Another point is, some reviews are prone to change. Yes, it's a very tiny amount, but some reviewers change their reviews, depending on how far they've read. Lastly, you can PM the reviewer, and politely ask them to change the review, if you believe that the reviewer made a mistake.

But this is only my opinion, and it won't decide anything since I'm a minority in this case. Anyway, it's Tony who makes a decision. If vast majority wants this feature, you will probably get it.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
It won't happen. I already made a similar suggestion with an explanation and examples of why I would like a feature like this, but I knew it then too that it wouldn't happen.

It is not in the vision of the website which is fine.

prognastat

The downside is that not every author is a good person. I believe that a lot of people will abuse this feature. I'm not saying you are going to abuse it, nor am I accusing anyone on this forum. But I've seen authors on main site, that don't visit forums, doing questionable stuff. And this is only my opinion based on nothing, but I don't believe that there are more honest authors, than authors who chase after money and fame. This will help them a lot more than it will help authors who won't abuse it. Remember that thread when someone wanted a dumb protagonist tag? Are authors with dumb protagonists going to use it? Same here. Will majority NOT abuse this feature? I think it will be abused.

There is a couple more points I want to say. If the review is truly completely misleading or a straight-up lie, you should report it. Report it, state why it's wrong, give some evidence, and I believe Tony will delete it. Another point is, some reviews are prone to change. Yes, it's a very tiny amount, but some reviewers change their reviews, depending on how far they've read. Lastly, you can PM the reviewer, and politely ask them to change the review, if you believe that the reviewer made a mistake.

But this is only my opinion, and it won't decide anything since I'm a minority in this case. Anyway, it's Tony who makes a decision. If vast majority wants this feature, you will probably get it.
Eh I think it's just as likely to show how bad an author is. I've seen cases where an author gets super defensive in the comments and it doesn't help their case. I would take the option for people to comment on a review over the option to remove it.

As for whether it can be abused, just about anything can be abused. Simply having ratings and reviews means someone can bot them. I don't think the possibility for abuse itself is a reason to exclude a feature.

SailusGebel

Eh I think it's just as likely to show how bad an author is. I've seen cases where an author gets super defensive in the comments and it doesn't help their case. I would take the option for people to comment on a review over the option to remove it.

As for whether it can be abused, just about anything can be abused. Simply having ratings and reviews means someone can bot them. I don't think the possibility for abuse itself is a reason to exclude a feature.
Yes, everything can be abused. That's why I think we don't need another abusable feature that doesn't help readers. I'm on readers' side. Yes, right now, I'm not writing, but even when I was writing, I was on readers' side, you can check my old comments if you don't believe me. And this feature doesn't help readers, it helps authors.

prognastat

Yes, everything can be abused. That's why I think we don't need another abusable feature that doesn't help readers. I'm on readers' side. Yes, right now, I'm not writing, but even when I was writing, I was on readers' side, you can check my old comments if you don't believe me. And this feature doesn't help readers, it helps authors.
If people can comment on reviews doesn't that potentially help readers too? I know on web novel if I check out a novel I check the controversial reviews and then also check the comments by other readers on those reviews to get what is in my opinion a much better idea about a particular novel than the review score itself does.

SailusGebel

If people can comment on reviews doesn't that potentially help readers too? I know on web novel if I check out a novel I check the controversial reviews and then also check the comments by other readers on those reviews to get what is in my opinion a much better idea about a particular novel than the review score itself does.
:blob_hmm: This is probably a difference in interpretation. OP stated, "where you can't actually answer a review." Answer, singular. I interpreted this as an author's ability to leave a single comment, to answer the review.

prognastat

:blob_hmm: This is probably a difference in interpretation. OP stated, "where you can't actually answer a review." Answer, singular. I interpreted this as an author's ability to leave a single comment, to answer the review.
Depending on what they meant I would be for anyone being able to comment on a review. That would be more useful than just the author being able to do so.

SailusGebel

Depending on what they meant I would be for anyone being able to comment on a review. That would be more useful than just the author being able to do so.
Well, I'm not as opposed for everyone to be able to comment on reviews. I really dislike it only if an author can leave one reply.

Kalliel

Grind, Future, A Beautiful Star
I personally would like to see people having a rap battle in the review section, so +1.

MatchaChocolate69

Your Favorite Villain
I voted +1. Thanks to this thread, I just discovered now that features requests need to be voted. So, I've gone ahead and voted for all the other threads with reasonable requests.
Every day you learn something new.