Add the ability to comment on reviews.

Mortrexo

I've never really thought of it, but today, it suddenly hit on me that SH is the only novel page, at least that I know of, where you can't actually answer a review. Is there a reason for it?

Edit: To clarify, I mean anybody can leave a comment below the review, not just the Author.
For Example, Webnovel:

1704546761752.png

Last edited:

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I am against a comment thread under reviews, as I believe reviews are strictly reviews. But that being said, I do want a dislike button. One thing I like about reviews on RR is that people can agree or disagree with a review based on likes and dislikes.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm torn. It would have been nice back when I had time, but now, I don't want people to wonder why I haven't responded to reviews. Even if they don't have kids, I think some authors might just want to write and not feel obligated to respond to their fans on reviews. We can respond in the chapter comments, and I think that's enough.

prognastat

I'm torn. It would have been nice back when I had time, but now, I don't want people to wonder why I haven't responded to reviews. Even if they don't have kids, I think some authors might just want to write and not feel obligated to respond to their fans on reviews. We can respond in the chapter comments, and I think that's enough.
Why would you feel obligated to respond? You aren't even obligated to write.

D

Deleted member 54065

Well, for me, it's just the need for the author to elaborate on things some readers might've missed. Some will say that "it's the author's job to make his/her works understandable to his/her readers", but my experience tells me the otherwise. A good, silent majority may get what you write, but the noisy 'minority' (like nitpickers) would always find something to complain.

Now it's fine to ignore them, if they won't do much damage, or you're just that chad not to care. However, not everyone is like you. And most of the time, these nitpickers would do everything to spite the author, or call attention to their whining. And the reviews they leave misunderstanding the author's vision for the work often drives away potential readers, further discouraging the writer.

Well, I may be saying my personal bias (based on experience and observation), so take this with a grain of salt. But I really do think the ability to answer to the reviews is a nice feature. Everything tends to get abused anyway: readers on the reviews coz they know the author can't refute their 'points', and authors in the comments section of their stories, coz it's their work, and they control what feedback should appear.

(Btw, I'm not promoting WebNovel, but authors can answer reviews there. Hence, in my experience, there are only a few cases where I was given 'nitpicking' reviews/feedback, thus my readers there is able to give me useful criticisms instead.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
A stopgap is to address reviews in the author's notes of the next chapter and take it to the comments section if you're so inclined. If you're awful and immature about it, it'll make you look really stupid and petty though, which is a good thing.

Mortrexo

A stopgap is to address reviews in the author's notes of the next chapter and take it to the comments section if you're so inclined. If you're awful and immature about it, it'll make you look really stupid and petty though, which is a good thing.
A review is aimed at those who haven't started the novel. Not to be rude, but addressing a review in the comment section of the last chapter is like throwing a rock at a lake and hoping to fish something. Nonsensical. Also, the ability to address a review should be essential. Everywhere, and with everything, this is essential. A review of a movie? They have comments. A review of a scientific paper? They have people answering to that.

While it is true that whining under a review is petty, clarifying things is not only not petty but a responsible thing to do as an author. Would you not address it in situ if, in chapter ten, someone comments, "They will kill the MC in chapter 20," while it is a lie?

Plus, I believe people are not injudicious enough to see if an author is being defensive or clarifying something.

Sorry if it sounds a little harsh~. I've rewritten it thrice but don't know how to write it to sound lighter. <3

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
A review is aimed at those who haven't started the novel. Not to be rude, but addressing a review in the comment section of the last chapter is like throwing a rock at a lake and hoping to fish something. Nonsensical. Also, the ability to address a review should be essential. Everywhere, and with everything, this is essential. A review of a movie? They have comments. A review of a scientific paper? They have people answering to that.

While it is true that whining under a review is petty, clarifying things is not only not petty but a responsible thing to do as an author. Would you not address it in situ if, in chapter ten, someone comments, "They will kill the MC in chapter 20," while it is a lie?

Plus, I believe people are not injudicious enough to see if an author is being defensive or clarifying something.

Sorry if it sounds a little harsh~. I've rewritten it thrice but don't know how to write it to sound lighter. <3
I know. I'd rather there be a system to write comments directly under reviews myself, but I was pointing out that there's some ways to communicated with the people that left the reviews themselves if people wanted to do that. A very suboptimal option, that perhaps, highlights how useful review comments would be.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
It's like adding MSG to your meal, if it's shit it's going to be shittier, if it's gold then it will be shinier.

And I write shit story so I'd say no.

But I'm also curious so I'd say yes
TL:DR Yes.

melchi

What is a custom title?
I am against a comment thread under reviews, as I believe reviews are strictly reviews. But that being said, I do want a dislike button. One thing I like about reviews on RR is that people can agree or disagree with a review based on likes and dislikes.
I agree with envy, I like how RR does it better than WN