AI Pictures of Your Characters

Major2501

I've seen a few of the request/AI image assistance threads on here, but I went ahead and did some photos of some of my own characters in my story; My First Coven. Well I've been doing these all day (at work haha.)

So my question is, do you find it easier to write if you have a clear representation of your characters? And are you content with your imagination and description or leaving it up to your readers to form their own idea of what your characters actually look like? I ask this as I was having a discussion with a friend at work about film/tv adaptations of novels and how you imagine who would play those characters.

Here's a few of mine anyway. Quite happy how they turned out. :)
Screenshot 2023-09-04 222448small.png

Bottom Left to Top Right; Arne, Morrigan, Daniel, Liam, Duncan. Bottom Right, Madelyn.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I've seen a few of the request/AI image assistance threads on here, but I went ahead and did some photos of some of my own characters in my story; My First Coven. Well I've been doing these all day (at work haha.)

So my question is, do you find it easier to write if you have a clear representation of your characters? And are you content with your imagination and description or leaving it up to your readers to form their own idea of what your characters actually look like? I ask this as I was having a discussion with a friend at work about film/tv adaptations of novels and how you imagine who would play those characters.

View attachment 21595
Bottom Left to Top Right; Arne, Morrigan, Daniel, Liam, Duncan. Bottom Right, Madelyn.
Some Ai generations did inspire me to write. I wrote about a FORG after making a BASED Pepe.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
This is my dilemma also. I used to draw, but the ideas of what I want get jumbled up on the way from my head to my pencil and then I just draw shite with bog eyes. :LOL:(y)
I felt that very deeply.

But to be honest, same problem on the part that I would like to get an actual artist to draw my characters for me, but I can't afford it. And AI just doesn't quite work for my incompetent ass.
On the cover of "The Crazy Daughter of the Duke's Family" sits an AI generated picture of the femal lead, Rowena. But to be honest, even though it is pretty, I can't really use it fully, because the AI put a random tattoo on her back (because I wanted a tattoo to be on her back; a specific Number, and no AI understands me when I say "13 on her shoulder" so I guess I'm just dogshit at doing AI commands). The tattoo she now has is definitely not supposed to be there, she also has a big scar between her shoulder blades that's missing in the picture. So I had to find an angle that still looked nice somewhat.
Anyway, rant aside, I do believe it's cool to have an opportunity to get pictures without needing help of an artist, but at the same time, I just can't get an AI to "draw" what I truly want. It always looks like someone else, even if it ends up objectively pretty.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Yes, but I'm okay with written description. No, I would love to commision artists, but I'm too poor, while AI can't draw what I want.
being close not enough? at least for reference illustration?

View attachment 21595
It depend sometime I can get inspiration from it. I also made a chapter illustration for my characters/monsters with ai

SailusGebel

being close not enough? at least for reference illustration?
For main projects? No, not enough. Plus, AI can't do a lot of stuff yet, stuff that I want. But I might use it for side projects or practice pieces.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
For main projects? No, not enough. Plus, AI can't do a lot of stuff yet, stuff that I want. But I might use it for side projects or practice pieces.
I see. Did you try to see on Pixiv? I didn't try it but some tell me you can find artist with low price there if you ever want just some illustation and not a whole book.

Major2501

I felt that very deeply.

But to be honest, same problem on the part that I would like to get an actual artist to draw my characters for me, but I can't afford it. And AI just doesn't quite work for my incompetent ass.
On the cover of "The Crazy Daughter of the Duke's Family" sits an AI generated picture of the femal lead, Rowena. But to be honest, even though it is pretty, I can't really use it fully, because the AI put a random tattoo on her back (because I wanted a tattoo to be on her back; a specific Number, and no AI understands me when I say "13 on her shoulder" so I guess I'm just dogshit at doing AI commands). The tattoo she now has is definitely not supposed to be there, she also has a big scar between her shoulder blades that's missing in the picture. So I had to find an angle that still looked nice somewhat.
Anyway, rant aside, I do believe it's cool to have an opportunity to get pictures without needing help of an artist, but at the same time, I just can't get an AI to "draw" what I truly want. It always looks like someone else, even if it ends up objectively pretty.
I get what you mean. Most of the ones I did were through an app, I just put in a bunch of random free stock photos and an occasional celebrity photo. I found out that if you put all one face in, you just get that face in random styles. But by putting in a few different, but "similar" faces it sort of melds them together THEN sticks all the random styles on them. 😆 It is difficult getting exactly what you want though, AI isn't so good on that front thats for sure.

I'd love to have the patience and time to draw my own or have them commissioned but it's not gonna happen. Any time soon at least. I will say though, Morrigan up there is actually me. I was writing Coven as a screenplay with the totally narcissistic notion I could star in it. (I am an actor though.) So I just barreled a load of photos of my egotistical mush in there and that's what I got. It's great, the AI give me a friggin' jawline. 😆

SailusGebel

I see. Did you try to see on Pixiv? I didn't try it but some tell me you can find artist with low price there if you ever want just some illustation and not a whole book.
Let's just say that commissioning art is at the bottom of my priority list right now.

Jerynboe

I just happen to enjoy toying with the AI so I’ve made ai art of almost every single named character in my entire story. Many of them are not quite what I imagined, but in some cases I like what the AI spat out more than my initial imagination. I probably wouldn’t bother if I didn’t playing with the AI for its own sake.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!

View attachment 21595
I would never want a film adaptation nor an animation adaptation of my characters from "Charisma." I'm ok with my cover but I doubt I'll get an illustration that truly be like what I want. They'll make me cry and I'll hate them. I'm quite happy with the readers imagining my characters.

WingsOfPhantasy

Tomboy Agenda Symphathizer
One day... One day I will be able to use these AI thingamabobs and thingamajigs to my liking.

Stealthy_Enigma

(❀⁠≽ᆺ≼)⊃~~~~✧ ꧁Floofy Ninja!!!꧂
One day... One day I will be able to use these AI thingamabobs and thingamajigs to my liking.
If you want, there is a way to get practice. There is an a.i. competition thread created by @greyblob going on. You are more than welcome to join. Just keep in mind that angry reacts are votes, so that you aren't spooked when you post something.
˝/\__/\˝
(✿^ᆺ^)👍

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
If you want, there is a way to get practice. There is an a.i. competition thread created by @greyblob going on. You are more than welcome to join. Just keep in mind that angry reacts are votes, so that you aren't spooked when you post something.
˝/\__/\˝
(✿^ᆺ^)👍
Corty also has an AI discord.

WingsOfPhantasy

Tomboy Agenda Symphathizer
˝/\__/\˝
(✿^ᆺ^)👍
thanks!

Jerynboe

Since the OP decided to share, might as well also throw out a few of mine I am particularly fond of.

Attachments

• F90D8724-120D-4FD9-A535-870282DE6FD2.png
    F90D8724-120D-4FD9-A535-870282DE6FD2.png
    470.5 KB · Views: 33
  • E7D75FFA-885A-427D-82BE-0DFFD7440574.png
    E7D75FFA-885A-427D-82BE-0DFFD7440574.png
    518.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 7B89D950-85E7-4C94-B6CD-2DCEE18D3C3B.png
    7B89D950-85E7-4C94-B6CD-2DCEE18D3C3B.png
    362.4 KB · Views: 39
  • A31EC94F-421D-4A94-B9D9-A761EAB8DE2D.png
    A31EC94F-421D-4A94-B9D9-A761EAB8DE2D.png
    506.7 KB · Views: 38

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Although I would like to commission an artist to create a good design for the characters of my novel, with my budget of 0 dollars, well it's difficult.

So I'm going with the affordable option. Which doesn't give 100% of what I have in mind, but it's close enough.

Now, I also try to get a good image that is not so obviously made by AI, while I edit them and make some personal adjustments in case I find some errors or something super specific that I am looking for.

The problem is that I am compulsive obsessive and inconsiderate when it comes to spending time trying to get the ideal image of what I need.

But I think my results are pretty good.