All About Editing...

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29316

Well, as it says on the title, it's all about editing.

How many times do you edit your work?

I edit my work as I write it, but also, I edit it for three more times after finishing.

Why three?

Well, I wanted to avoid my earlier mistake of editing the story I've written for unlimited times, causing it to drag on for 10 years before I'm finally satisfied (which is in fact, I simply had enough of editions). Bottom line is, the story got too convoluted and different from what I initially envisioned.

Three editions. What for?

1st is for the story flow and construction. In this edit, I'd iron-out possible plotholes and inconsistencies, mostly by adding or subtracting excerpts. Reordering of scenes and events happen also in this stage.

2nd is for grammar and spelling. There are moments when I commit spelling and grammar mistakes, and I haven't noticed it yet 'till this second edit. This is because I focused on other technical issues (like story flow, etc.). Take note, I'm not a native English speaker, so there can be instances where I happen to pass-over some errors.

3rd is polishing. It's a sort of additional icing on the edit to make sure that the quality of my story is the best I'd roll out there.

While editing, it will be helpful if you havr your plotline by your side, so that you know what your story's direction would take.

Well, I can't say my system is perfect. But in any case, I thought I'd share it out to help. Feel free to share yours as well, I'd like to learn from you! 😉

JayDirex

it's not a fixed number, it's constant. I don't write up a chapter then release it that quickly. at the minimum I'm sitting on it for a week. anytime my eyes are on it I'm editing it. ... I guarantee if you went and looked at one of your old chapters right now you'll see something you need to change. editing is constant.

DubstheDuke

I edit twice. Why? I have 3 chapters which I work on per day. The first is the one in which I write on a given day. The second is the one in which I edit for the first time, which is usually somewhere around 40-50 chapters behind the story's current status. The first edit is for a few reasons- 1. To try and make sure that there are no inconsistencies, and to add in some nice foreshadowing and change little details up after knowing what is going to happen later on. 2. If anything sounds weird, just change it. 3. If I think of some supplemental content to add that will help the viewers understand a character better or if I just think of a joke or anything better, then I add it.
The second edit is always the day before I upload the chapter. I try to keep this editing minimal, and just read through the chapter. Unless I notice something which is obviously wrong or got changed at some point or if something just sounds bad, then I try to keep these edits to a minimum.

D

Deleted member 29316

it's not a fixed number, it's constant. I don't write up a chapter then release it that quickly. at the minimum I'm sitting on it for a week. anytime my eyes are on it I'm editing it. ... I guarantee if you went and looked at one of your old chapters right now you'll see something you need to change. editing is constant.

While I agree that editing is constant, if I did that, as I stated, my story would drag for long. If it's something that concerns maybe grammatical errors, then it may be excusable, otherwise, continuous editing would somehow lead to a great change in the story.

I guess the need to be content of what you have written is important as well. I mean I still do get the urge to edit and rewrite, but yeah, I had to be brave and gamble with what I've written.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29316

I edit twice. Why? I have 3 chapters which I work on per day. The first is the one in which I write on a given day. The second is the one in which I edit for the first time, which is usually somewhere around 40-50 chapters behind the story's current status. The first edit is for a few reasons- 1. To try and make sure that there are no inconsistencies, and to add in some nice foreshadowing and change little details up after knowing what is going to happen later on. 2. If anything sounds weird, just change it. 3. If I think of some supplemental content to add that will help the viewers understand a character better or if I just think of a joke or anything better, then I add it.
The second edit is always the day before I upload the chapter. I try to keep this editing minimal, and just read through the chapter. Unless I notice something which is obviously wrong or got changed at some point or if something just sounds bad, then I try to keep these edits to a minimum.

Pretty much how I do my edits as well, only with the third one (polishing) added.

WhoCares

I usually edited chapters two/three times before uploading them but over the past (four, I think?) years I have definitely edited the same story at least three more times. I see what you're saying about constant editing dragging things out but I think unless you're at a certain level of skill (which most webfiction authors are not) your writing improves so much so quickly that not going back to edit your work can be jarring for new readers. And I think it becomes a point of personal pride to bring any work you're not satisfied with up to a level where you can be reasonably satisfied with it.

D

Deleted member 29316

I usually edited chapters two/three times before uploading them but over the past (four, I think?) years I have definitely edited the same story at least three more times. I see what you're saying about constant editing dragging things out but I think unless you're at a certain level of skill (which most webfiction authors are not) your writing improves so much so quickly that not going back to edit your work can be jarring for new readers. And I think it becomes a point of personal pride to bring any work you're not satisfied with up to a level where you can be reasonably satisfied with it.

In my case, I just went ahead and published what I managed to finish and edit, and be done with it. It worked out somehow.

Honestly, I'm still plagued with insecurities about my work, but then again, if I don't take the gamble, then nothing would happen.

In this part, the plotting and planning would come in decisively. I'm still on amateur level, and my confidence comes from the fact that I managed to follow my story plans (and a bit of readers' approval as well).

In any case, for building confidence, it's great to grab a buddy or two who's willing to check your work for you. The three-part (or two) edit is much effective in this situation.

WhoCares

In my case, I just went ahead and published what I managed to finish and edit, and be done with it. It worked out somehow.

Honestly, I'm still plagued with insecurities about my work, but then again, if I don't take the gamble, then nothing would happen.

In this part, the plotting and planning would come in decisively. I'm still on amateur level, and my confidence come from the fact that I managed to follow my story plans (and a bit of readers' approval as well).

In any case, for building confidence, it's great to grab a buddy or two who's willing to check your work for you. The three-part (or two) edit is much effective in this situation.

I get that, yeah. Especially agree on building confidence as the most important part. But also, I think people's grasp of the more technical parts of writing (grammar, structure, style etc) improves in webfiction very quickly so if you're writing the last chapters of a story you started two years ago, it's worth going back to the first few chapters to bring it up to the level of the latter chapters, is all I'm saying.

D

Deleted member 29316

I get that, yeah. Especially agree on building confidence as the most important part. But also, I think people's grasp of the more technical parts of writing (grammar, structure, style etc) improves in webfiction very quickly so if you're writing the last chapters of a story you started two years ago, it's worth going back to the first few chapters to bring it up to the level of the latter chapters, is all I'm saying.

LOL I can totally relate to what you said about going back to what you wrote two years ago (mine's ten) and edit. I did that, and the story's much improved.

Well, it's a great discussion, and I'm learning from your replies as well. Thanks for the answers 😉

The story I'm talking about was written 10 years ago, and got dragged on by numerous edits, due to uncertainties on the plot and scene details. Another reason it got dragged was that I kept on procastinating before.

queenofthefuzzybugs

Let me see... I do read through after I've finished and fix any basic errors I find. Copy|Paste to the website I'm going to put the story on and do a preview. Because it's a different font|layout all the spelling/grammar mistakes are much easier to spot. Do another round of editing. If I've got the time, sit on it a couple of days and ponder deeply my story (life) choices. Be struck with a realization I have contradicted myself or didn't explain something clearly enough, scramble to fix it. Make more spelling errors. Cry. Wail. Fix them. Be paranoid about any other errors I missed all day. Find some free text-to-voice software and read through the text, robot readers are great ways to find any hidden errors\weird grammar stuff.

Think everything is so good now.

Be confident.

Post.

Reader finds a misspelling.

:blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip:

D

Deleted member 29316

Let me see... I do read through after I've finished and fix any basic errors I find. Copy|Paste to the website I'm going to put the story on and do a preview. Because it's a different font|layout all the spelling/grammar mistakes are much easier to spot. Do another round of editing. If I've got the time, sit on it a couple of days and ponder deeply my story (life) choices. Be struck with a realization I have contradicted myself or didn't explain something clearly enough, scramble to fix it. Make more spelling errors. Cry. Wail. Fix them. Be paranoid about any other errors I missed all day. Find some free text-to-voice software and read through the text, robot readers are great ways to find any hidden errors\weird grammar stuff.

Think everything is so good now.

Be confident.

Post.

Reader finds a misspelling.

:blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip:

Basically me save for the part where I copy+paste in the platform to spot 'errors' and fix them if needed be.

Thanks for the answer, I learned another good technique.

But yes, I also let it sit for a couple of days or weeks for my mind to rest before reading it again to spot any errors or do some polishing.

At times, I'd ask for advice (from my writer friends) if my work is good. If it passes, then I'd gamble and post it online.

queenofthefuzzybugs

On one of my stories has some volunteer editors. They're amazing people, love them to death. One's good for working out plot points and the others are good at spotting grammar|spelling errors. Between all of us we think, "Surely there can be nothing more!"

Readers still find misspelling.

:blob_catflip: :blob_catflip: :blob_catflip: :blob_catflip: :blob_catflip: :blob_catflip: :blob_catflip: :blob_catflip: :blob_catflip:

Ahem.

Different font/website layout was my first trick to finding 80% of my errors. To find 99% spelling errors the text-to-voice is the way to go. The only downside is it can't read foreign or fantasy names and struggle with punctuation (so not great for grammar). For those curious, I write mostly on my Chromebook using Google Docs. I use Chrome extensions like Read Aloud and Natural Reader for text-to-speech.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
Sometimes when I edit my work I completely change the chapter to fit further developments and foreshadow things. My editing is sometimes intense because I don't edit as I go. I believe in throwing everything onto the page and cleaning it up later. If I sat there and edited as I went I feel I'd never get a chapter done because I'm always critiquing how something is expressed or the metaphor I used not matching up with what I truly want to express. It's better for me to have a clear head and get the basics down then flesh out the problems later.

I also use MS Word and Grammarly. Then I put my chapters in Text-to-speech and see how it sounds.

D

Deleted member 29316

Sometimes when I edit my work I completely change the chapter to fit further developments and foreshadow things. My editing is sometimes intense because I don't edit as I go. I believe in throwing everything onto the page and cleaning it up later. If I sat there and edited as I went I feel I'd never get a chapter done because I'm always critiquing how something is expressed or the metaphor I used not matching up with what I truly want to express. It's better for me to have a clear head and get the basics down then flesh out the problems later.

I also use MS Word and Grammarly. Then I put my chapters in Text-to-speech and see how it sounds.

Ah yes, that's how I write my stories too. I throw it all in one go (though edit it as I write), then do an intense edit later (the three-part editing). But, before I do the three-part edit, I take a long break from my work, so that my mind is refreshed when I get back to it. Good ideas then come out and improves the story more.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
That's a pretty solid process.
I write in a paper notebook first, let it sit for a while, type it with some edits, let it sit another month, and edit it several times throughout the week before I post it. I also listen to the chapter with my NaturalReader program to catch the pesky typos that my eyes might be too lazy to spot.

D

Deleted member 29316

That's a pretty solid process.
I write in a paper notebook first, let it sit for a while, type it with some edits, let it sit another month, and edit it several times throughout the week before I post it. I also listen to the chapter with my NaturalReader program to catch the pesky typos that my eyes might be too lazy to spot.

I use pen and notebook whenever I start to write down excerpts which would then proceed to the digital writing process. Think of it like a car that needs a push before it gets running. If you see my notes, they're pretty much messy, with a lot of erasures and inserts. Starting immediately on digital is a hard one for me, because I and the computer monitor would only stare at each other for quite a while even though I have something in mind already.

By the way, I also have that pair along with me whenever I travel, since I get bored easily and needed something to do while waiting, so I write.

Then type everything I've written (with fast edits along the way) after coming back home.

By the way, thanks for sharing that NaturalReader program. I'll check it out because I really need an editor for my story (and I edit it alone).

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I honestly hate editing, so I can't do as much as you do.

I write a chapter, and then I edit it in the following day, after that I am ready to publish it.

I only revisit that chapter if someone points out grammar/spelling mistakes or if I decide to revise the whole story. (Which would only happen if I tried publishing it as an E-book which... Is not something for my near future.)

D

Deleted member 1192

Hmmmmmmm~ Can't determine if I'm doing my edits right.
But right now, I type in MS Word, upload it to my google drive then open the file in google docs to use Grammarly then copy the entire chapter to SH rich text editor then use Grammarly again in case I missed something. So that's like 2 times? :blob_hmm: This thread reminds me that I need to revisit basic English grammar...

D

Deleted member 29316

Hmm...I've been noticing that a lot of replies to this thread of mine have been using (or recommending) Grammarly. Is it that effective? (I'm curious, since my grammar in English is not that perfect, but my teachers from before have been teaching us not to let the computer fix our grammar for us.)

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Grammarly is good for those slip-ups, but if your grammar isn't good, I recommend you learn the grammar before trying Grammarly to avoid habitual bad grammar. The premium warnings are mostly useless except for a few functions (punctuations and [sometimes] colloquialism).