American school stuff

GreenKazoo

Hey I was wondering how does school in America work with the sophomore, freshman and how the students go about learning each subject; are there compulsory subjects? are some subjects optional? at what point are they allowed to start choosing subjects they like, if they are able to do so? Also I'd love to know how the school holidays work. I've heard that they have like 2 really fricken long holidays summer and winter but I'm from a place down under where beer does flow and men chunder soooo yeah a brief overview on how American school works for American students would be great thx :)

Topgun1908

Hey I was wondering how does school in America work with the sophomore, freshman and how the students go about learning each subject; are there compulsory subjects? are some subjects optional? at what point are they allowed to start choosing subjects they like, if they are able to do so? Also I'd love to know how the school holidays work. I've heard that they have like 2 really fricken long holidays summer and winter but I'm from a place down under where beer does flow and men chunder soooo yeah a brief overview on how American school works for American students would be great thx :)
Where I live in America we were already allowed to choose some electives by middle school. Only allowed to choose about 2-3 per semester. Classes like math, literature, science, and other stuff like that are required of course. Summer Break starts sometime from late May to Early June and ends sometime in August. Winter break is about 2-3 weeks off school around christmas time. Some schools may have their own special breaks as well. my school has a break called Harvest Break which lasts a month so that students can get a job helping with harvesting crops because we live in a rural area. If you have any other questions ask me and i'll answer

GreenKazoo

Where I live in America we were already allowed to choose some electives by middle school. Only allowed to choose about 2-3 per semester. Classes like math, literature, science, and other stuff like that are required of course. Summer Break starts sometime from late May to Early June and ends sometime in August. Winter break is about 2-3 weeks off school around christmas time. Some schools may have their own special breaks as well. my school has a break called Harvest Break which lasts a month so that students can get a job helping with harvesting crops because we live in a rural area. If you have any other questions ask me and i'll answer
Thank you very much I'll be sure to ask if I have any more questions :)

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Where I went to school we didn’t get to pick electives in middle school, but rotated between them every semester and then picked once in highschool.
The thing about America is the required teaching material varies widely state to state. Where I lived it was ancient history in middle school, and French and Spanish alternating between semesters. High school was Early Modern history for freshman year, sophomore American history and you could choose between Spanish and French (foreign langue classes differ widely between schools). Freshman year was biology, sophomore was chemistry, and after that you could pick a science elective I believe. I don’t know I dropped out and did an equivalency around that time.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

There is no single answer, cause school systems are managed by the states, not the country. That said, there is also a lot of "private schools" too which you can get a voucher for making it covered by the government.

And of course there are different structured schools too, some places have middle schools, some places have junior high schools and each starts at different years. Then some are step ladder schools which you go all the way till end of high school from the beginning or from the middle.

In my case, elementary school was all preset subjects. In junior high school, we got to choose electives. And in high school, we got to choose a program, and our requirements would be based on the program. Of course we could choose variations as well. Like all programs required english class, but you can choose what TYPE of english class.

As for holidays, again varies by state. Generally, they would require that a set amount of days be in a school year. There is no 2 long breaks as far as I am aware, only summer vacation. Others are mostly weekly breaks, or national holidays, state holidays and etc. Weekly holidays is mostly easter, christmas to new year and presidents week.

AKnightWithaKnife

Just don’t go to school in new York and cali. They have the most required days and it doesn’t show

miyoga

If I'm not mistaken, every state requires 180 days of class. Beyond that, every state requires a civics or politics course and the core subjects of English, math, history and science in order to graduate. The exact number will vary as someone else said, because different states have different requirements and then the schools themselves can require more (but never less). This only applies to public schools because they receive government funds. Private (religious) schools and charter schools do not get that money and can have different requirements beyond what is already set by the state. Religious schools, for example, also require a religious studies course every year.

The only other major differences are that we have 3 months of break for summer (unless your school is "year-round") and 3 weeks for winter. The class quality may be better in private schools because they can attract better teachers with higher salaries (at the cost of higher tuition). Some places let you not take PE because of the number of classes or school-sponsored extra curricular stuff you're in, and even if you do take it, it's not just a lot of running like in some countries. We don't need to be in school from dawn until dusk except for winter with the shorter days. The school day should run from about 8:30 until 15:30 unless you have extra stuff before/after classes.

With classes, we can take regular stuff, AP classes (which are college level but not for college credit unless you can pass the AP exam), or university classes (from a university or community college for college credit). We've got a "class" called study hall where you pretty much do everything but study and you don't have any letcures/homework from that, it's literally just a class time where you can do homework so you don't take it home. There's a lot more I can say on it, but I'd want to know what you're looking for so I can give specific details.

My dad was a high school principal before he retired from that, and I'm teaching American curriculum (California standards) in a dual diploma program in China. For reference, I went to school in Iowa.

longer

Balls
Another important thing to note is that American schools vary in terms of how difficult the provided classes can be. Schools with better staff and funding tend to offer more Advanced Placement courses which can be used for college credit if a student performs well on the respective exam. There are also options to study at a local community college for early college classes that can be used for college credit at some institutions. Bear in mind, all these are optional and dependent on the school.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Important to note there’s a couple different types of schools. Standard government funded public schools. Private schools funded through tuition costs. Charter schools which are government funded like public schools, but act independent from the public school system. There are also online schools, which have existed for a while before the pandemic. I attended one for a year before dropping out. Online high schools are usually attended by kids who were homeschooled at a younger age, kids with disabilities, or kids going through intense athletic and sports training that limits their schedule. Montessori schools are a type of school that employ unique education techniques, and have other quirks like mixed age classrooms, these are often either charter or private schools.

TUSF

I've talked with an acquaintance overseas before about the differences between school here in the States, and where they grew up (Argentina), and one big difference I noted was that they pretty much stayed with the same class year-round, with the teachers being the ones who would cycle around classrooms. (I notice that this is also the case in Japan, and likely in other countries too)

In America, at least where I grew up, Middle School (usually 6th grade to 8th, tho sometimes includes 9th, or excludes 6th) and High School (usually 9th to 12th) go the opposite route, which is sorta more similar to how University works: each individual student has a schedule that is independent to them, and Teachers are the ones who basically stay in the same room.
In my state, High School required you to have a certain amount of credits to graduate (which meant you could take online or summer classes to get extra credits and graduate early), but there were a couple of required credits. Each semester of a class gave half a credit, so one full year of that class was a full credit. At the bare minimum, my state required that you had 4 credits for each of the following subjects: English, Science, Math, and Social Studies. Additionally you required 2 Foreign language credits, 2 Physical Education credits, and after that you can have any other elective you wanted, as long as you reached the minimum. There's also some edge cases, where certain classes might count as an elective credit, or a Math credit, depending on whether or not you took a different class already.
Note that the number of required credits, and which classes may count as what type of credit, are likely to be different between states.
Also, the dates that summer/winter break starts or ends may be different from district to district, or even school to school—the exact number of "off days" in my State are determined by the School District, and where those off-days go are more-or-less up to the individual schools. (Although federal holidays and some other breaks, like spring break, are always the same) I remember getting some days knocked off Winter break, because the school was closed for too many days earlier that year due to a Hurricane.

Anyways, these are just my experiences, and based on schools in my area. The U.S. hates being organized and uniform, (speaking of, whether or not a school had a uniform was also based on an individual school's choice—some let you wear your own clothes, with minor restrictions, while others made sure you bought your uniform from the school itself) so I'd expect things to be different in other states.