Any of you ever got burnt out with reading?

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Nothing wrong with that. If you’ve done any reading at all for personal enjoyment in the past year that already puts you leagues ahead of most people I know.

Personally speaking, I read novels & comics because I can consume the media faster than I could if I was watching it. But I think watching stuff is just as valid. It’s natural to have waning interests in certain things.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I think I'm burnt out with reading. Nothing seems interesting to me anymore. It's not a depression per se, but I find more interest in anime and movie lately, and reading feels like a chore.

I used to read a lot, sometimes all day and all night long. I was obsessed, but now it's not fun anymore. It's like everything I read is subpar. It's like my standard has become so high. Ridiculously, stupidly high. Even the best of the best still can't meet it.

Any of you ever had this feeling? Should I get off reading for a while? How long does it usually take?
I used to read like 80-90 like mangas, web-novels and stuff a day and ultimately it just sets in that everything you have ever done was for naught. it was a life that you enjoyed but woke up to the truth that life is more than just consuming this mundane world of mediocrity presented on a towering Babel of lies, and deceit. As ultimately the life suitable for humanity, is the desperate eternal chase of narratives beyond immersion.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
I think I'm burnt out with reading. Nothing seems interesting to me anymore. It's not a depression per se, but I find more interest in anime and movie lately, and reading feels like a chore.

I used to read a lot, sometimes all day and all night long. I was obsessed, but now it's not fun anymore. It's like everything I read is subpar. It's like my standard has become so high. Ridiculously, stupidly high. Even the best of the best still can't meet it.

Any of you ever had this feeling? Should I get off reading for a while? How long does it usually take?
Yes, I have had it with reading and watching shows. It always for me has been tied to stress, overwork and exhaustion. College and work killed hard-core sci-fi for me.

My recommendation is take some time off from it, focus on getting more sleep and unwinding.

I also found when I started reading again is pick a lightweight fluff type novel. Nothing angst or heavy.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

OP1000

I have definitely been feeling burnt out when it comes to reading original novels since April this year. This is mostly because I have been reading more manga and fanfictions on some of the manga/anime that I follow on other sites.

Bobple

One time I decided to read all my books I had across my digital services. This was about 300 books in total. I managed to read them all in a week and a half, but had a massive headache for the next two weeks and didn't read at all. So yeah, that burned me out greatly.

I do just have small occasion of when I'm just tired and don't feel like reading for a while.

Last edited:

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?

I just start doing something else.
I used to read like 80-90 like mangas, web-novels and stuff a day and ultimately it just sets in that everything you have ever done was for naught. it was a life that you enjoyed but woke up to the truth that life is more than just consuming this mundane world of mediocrity presented on a towering Babel of lies, and deceit. As ultimately the life suitable for humanity, is the desperate eternal chase of narratives beyond immersion.
The man(?) has returned.