Any tips on how to change fonts on scribblehub? Seems like the site strips font-family property from the inline css code

Tentacult1664

So yeah, I've been wondering why SH's text editor seems to strip the font-family property on the editor's code.

A few months ago, I've noticed that SH's text editor is unable to write nested tables and found out that using RR's editor and pasting it on SH can workaround that issue. Even manually written code from RR's code editor works just fine, but somehow the font-family always gets stripped.

It's most likely some kind of filter code on SH's backend so it's probably hopeless, but hey if there's a miniscule chance that a workaround exists, I might as well ask. Maybe we have some hackermen-type authors in this site who had already bypassed it, if so maybe you could share those tricks.

After all, limits are meant to be broken (except for child exploitation, assault, and abuse, that shits not okay, okay?)

sanitylimited

mentioning this only makes me go:blob_hmm_two:
the limits of child exploitation cant be broken because it would turn into baby exploitation or normal exploitation.
breaking the limits of assult would turn into murder, and abuse would turn into suicide.
extremly deep and meaningful and not just stupid moral high grounding

no sane website would alow control over font. consistent theming is far too important for user retention.

Tentacult1664

the limits of child exploitation cant be broken because it would turn into baby exploitation or normal exploitation.
breaking the limits of assult would turn into murder, and abuse would turn into suicide.
extremly deep and meaningful and not just stupid moral high grounding

no sane website would alow control over font. consistent theming is far too important for user retention.
RR has one which is nice. But every time I try to write there, I get trauma flashbacks from being nuked by readers :blobrofl:
mentioning this only makes me go:blob_hmm_two:
Would you prefer it if I said limits are meant to be broken, including but not limited to: child exploitation and abuse, torture, manslaughter, murder, genocide, arson, armed robbery, and every single law out there? :blob_hmm_two:

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Bake the thread into popcorn. That said, ways one might try to find an answer on their own (Obligatory Do Not Recommend Actually Attempting) include:

Studying BBCode and all the ways to get fonts. It's loosely based on HTML, which I remember from a long time ago as having font-face on top of font-family and maybe even just font as an attribute.

Another trick may be seeing if the BBCode parser (and IDRC if it's not BBCode verbatim. Not only is that not the point, but anyone who's serious about trying to poke with the scripting language had better be able to divine the language being used) is more lenient than the attribute filter code. unorthodox spaces like the zero-width space may be helpful, or it may not. I haven't actually tried any of this. Another possibility could be seeing how far you get with hypertext tokens like &quot, etc.

I would also assume that the filtering is done server-side. I'm not going to bother detailing how you can investigate this (outside of "look for client-side filtering"), because a) I'm not specced for this and b) it's in the realm of "If you don't already know how to approach it, you're more likely to shoot yourself in the foot"

I also considered inserting a picture of your chapter in fancy text but I'm fairly sure SH has rules against that. It would also be hell on mobiles. And making one image "sprite" per character and uploading them in sequence is far FAR too tedious.

Finally, there are Unicode characters for fancy lettering you could use if you wanted to, π•·π–Žπ–π–Š π–˜π–”, 𝕴 π–‹π–”π–šπ–“π–‰ π–™π–π–Žπ–˜ 𝖆𝖙 π–π–™π–™π–•π–˜://π–‘π–Žπ–“π–Œπ–”π–π–†π–’.π–ˆπ–”π–’/π•±π–†π–“π–ˆπ–žπ•Ώπ–Šπ–π–™π•²π–Šπ–“π–Šπ–—π–†π–™π–”π–—

... Actually, alternate text characters is probably your best bet. They do not play nicely with Ctrl-F, but oh well.

Tentacult1664

id rather you not derail your own thread in the first post by moral grandstanding
What???? Moral grandstanding? Are you out of your mind? Brother, I literally just added that because "limits are meant to be broken" can be taken in a bad way.

Another trick may be seeing if the BBCode parser (and IDRC if it's not BBCode verbatim. Not only is that not the point, but anyone who's serious about trying to poke with the scripting language had better be able to divine the language being used) is more lenient than the attribute filter code. unorthodox spaces like the zero-width space may be helpful, or it may not. I haven't actually tried any of this. Another possibility could be seeing how far you get with hypertext tokens like &quot, etc.
β€’ Raw bbcode doesn't work.
β€’ Text copied from bbcode works, but the font-family gets stripped after being saved.

Seems like the only way is using those unicode characters

1687001871878.png

Last edited:

sanitylimited

your first thought when seing the hyperbolic line "limits are meant to be broken" is child abuse?

sometimes saying less is better. we dont need clarification on your morals after a statement that holds no weight

Tentacult1664

your first thought when seing the hyperbolic line "limits are meant to be broken" is child abuse?

sometimes saying less is better. we dont need clarification on your morals after a statement that holds no weight
I added that line there to avoid triggering sensitive people like you, and here you are, finding ways to get yourself offended.

And human thought (at least in my case) is influenced by their most recent memories and I just happened to watch chris hansen's show earlier so obviously, child abuse was the first one that popped out of my mind.

Since you're an author and most likely a reader as well, I think it's a good practice to have an open mind and not immediately think of things that get you riled up. Either way, if I offended you, I apologize. I didn't know adding that little line to avoid a landmine would end triggering the landmine instead.

I apologize @sanitylimited. I hope you're happy. Have a good day :blob_happy:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
There are a very limited number of fonts on SH.

Mortrexo

Why do you need so many fonts either way? SH editor is honestly an exception besides RR. Any other page to upload a novel lacks modification of the text. Try Wattpad or Webnovel, and you'll see how simple their editors are.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
It's not necessary, but I can see how it'd be a nice-to-have.

Personal expression counts for a lot for passion projects. For serious writing, not so much, especially since there are well-established standards.

I imagine fonts are most likely disabled because SH doesn't want to deal with people abusing it, which might very well draw away traffic. As has happened multiple times, publishing agents do recruit writers off of here.