Anybody got Inner Monologue?

ShrimpShady

I always have an internal monologue. Interestingly enough, as someone who speaks both English and Indonesian (native language) fluently, most of my worded thoughts are in English. One of the few exceptions is when I'm doing math, which I pretty much always do in Indonesian because I first learned math in an Indonesian school.

Interested to hear other people's experience with internal monologues in multiple languages.

SternenklarenRitter

I usually have an internal monologue. If I concentrate on my surroundings, it tends to reflexively narrate sound effects, without introducing many 'native' thoughts. For example, my monologue says 'crea~ky' when I open a door, or 'twitter tweet chirpy chirp' when there are a lot of songbirds nearby. If I am not focusing on my environment, I my internal monologue of thoughts tends either towards mentally singing songs I like, or towards complex analytic thoughts of hybrid audio and visual-spatial nature musing on things like game strategies (how can I keep the giant zombie mosquito swarms out of my rum stockpile in dwarf fortress), or the electron degeneracy pressure required to transmute the normally stable nucleus of nitrogen 14 into carbon 14 through electron capture. The analytic type thoughts tend to win the 'competition' for my attention against actual sensory information from my environment, resulting in things like "when the heck did I get up and walk into the laundry room? I thought I was still in my bedroom!" or "Oops, I just now realized that I passed the left turn I needed to take seventeen minutes ago."

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Yes, but they are monologue. They sometimes become vocal

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Mine's written in invisinle ink and read by a mute voice. Either that or really shy.

I at least think I have an inner monologue since my thoughts tend to drift like they're running in the 90s.

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
Mono?

No, I have multiple inner voices, having discussions and judging the validity of every thought and decision I make most of the day.

AryaX

Ikr? It's weird thinking about the other side, no matter which side you're on. Not to mention, imagine people whose first language isn't english, so they think in their mother tongue... whacky shit
English isn't my native but.. I tend to think in english, as I either don't know the words in my own native tongue, or they just feel... sort of ridiculous...

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I definitely have an inner monologue. It's actually saved my skin a couple of times. I'll be heading out to do something and my inner monologue will just say something along the lines of "are you really leaving now? didn't you forget to do A and C?" Then I have to remember whether I did or not or explain why I did or didn't do them to my inner voice. to which it usually replies something like "Okay... but you'll have to deal with the consequences." Sometimes I can act out entire scenes with it and test whether it sounds realistic. It's a rather nice thing to have. Or at least it is when it isn't an asshole.