Anybody got Inner Monologue?

Lorelliad

creating magic in a magic-less world 🪄
So I learned something from Twitter today. I know, that's rare.

Apparently 30-50% of people have an inner monologue narrating their thoughts throughout the day.

I don't think I have one, at least.

We often write our characters with this trait most of the time, so I was wondering how it actually is for people who do have inner monologue.

Ritz

How do you cogitate on complicated matter without thinking them in words? Also to answer your question I think in english 24/7 basically.

Maldon

I sometimes speak in my mind, but it's less of a narrator (I think an inner monologue means anyway) and more of something I actively have to do, most of my thoughts are either very abstract or a very clear image

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
It's like having a friend who will either confirm a bad decision or tell you that enough damage has been done to yourself already. All while being just as rational or plastered like yourself.

Lorelliad

I don't know, but I mostly talk to myself whenever I forgot something.

"Hey?"

"What?"

"Did you forget something?"

"Oh, yeah, I have to wash the dishes. Thanks my inner self."

"No problem."
That honestly sounds fun, having someone to talk to.

c_ron_ickler

I do sometimes, other times I don’t. I think the stronger the emotion I have the more likely I am to have the monologue. Like, once I was in a church, and I did not resonate with the sermon, and I got a lot of inner monologue then that actually drowned out what the preacher was saying. I have imagery/touch/taste/smell/sound thoughts a lot more than word thoughts in general, though.

BlackKnightX

So I learned something from Twitter today. I know, that's rare.

Apparently 30-50% of people have an inner monologue narrating their thoughts throughout the day.

I don't think I have one, at least.

We often write our characters with this trait most of the time, so I was wondering how it actually is for people who do have inner monologue.
I don’t have inner-monologue, or more like I choose to turn it off most of the time.

When I have to think of something, I kind of just feel it instead of thinking about it consciously. Like for example, if I want to recite a whole page of writing off the top of my head, then I‘ll just feel it and draw out the informations I want instantly without having to go over it one by one.

Put it simply, I rely on intuition and subconsciousness more than I do conscious thought.

But that doesn’t mean that I don’t have inner-monologue at all—in this case I mean the kind of inner-monologue that let you hear the voice in your head. I do have it, and these voices is very useful when reading stories; it’ll make the story comes to life in my mind. I’ll be able to hear the character’s voice when they speak.

So, I do have it but choose to turn it off most of the time aside from when I’m reading fiction and want to create a vivid experience in my mind. Aside from that, I don’t use it at all.

Last edited:

Lorelliad

When I have to think of something, I kind of just feel it instead of thinking about it consciously. Like for example, if I want to recite a whole page of writing of the top of my head, then I‘ll just feel it and draw out the informations I want instantly without having to go over it one by one.
Hey, we're so similar.