Editing Anyone looking for a paid editor?

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I've noticed there's no active "Editor looking for work" or "Looking for Editors" thread where people can shamelessly promote themselves. Guess I have to do this the annoying way...

Let me keep the self-praise short: I've been working as an English <-> German translator and editor for a few years, mostly video games and a few comics & mangas here and there and I'm thinking of switching completely to novels. You wouldn't believe the audacity of some game devs. "I only want a translation, no editing or anything, the people that buy my stuff don't care for grammar or typos." was the go-to excuse to try to haggle prices down... Sorry, off-topic.

I'm offering my services as a Copyeditor (that's the person everyone thinks of when they hear "Editor", the dood that cleans up after the author) and as Developmental Editor (which is more or less a brainstorming partner that looks for plotholes and other inconsistencies in the story). Prices are negotiable but I won't work for free.

Anyway, Editor lfw.

ACertainPassingUser

"I only want a translation, no editing or anything, the people that buy my stuff don't care for grammar or typos."
Damn, what a META tactic. Surely, buying just translation would lower cost while reducing the time. not to mention taking advantage of the translator's pity conscience who can't bear to see messyly translated sentences that can't be read properly.

You sure? It's one of the hardest and most annoying languages to learn. Even most Germans give up on it
Is there any good German animation film or some good film made in gernan ?

I think I will need some good entertaining cinema from German that could motivate me to learn the language.

Erylm

Damn, what a META tactic. Surely, buying just translation would lower cost while reducing the time. not to mention taking advantage of the translator's pity conscience who can't bear to see messyly translated sentences that can't be read properly.

I think I will need some good entertaining cinema from German that could motivate me to learn the language.
I quite enjoyed Dark, a TV series made in gernan with plot that may appear messyly at first but gets quite interesting further in.

Last edited:

BearlyAlive

Thats skill issues.
Nah, language issues.
They always try everything. I gotta at least respect their creativity. Before I BTFO them where I can

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
You sure? It's one of the hardest and most annoying languages to learn. Even most Germans give up on it
Wait what?

Okay i need to brush up a tonne more, but English is Germanic. Though verb order can be wonky.

Im just somewhat surprised to hear this is all.

expentio

Well, the Bully Herbig films are all quite good if you're looking for comedy.
"Wickie und die starken Männer" (1 and 2), Hui Buh das Schlossgespenst" (1-3), "Der Schuh des Manitu". Oh, there's "Lissi und der wilde Kaiser" as an animation film.
Aside from that I fear germany isn't all that competable against Hollywood. Personally, I liked "der Wixxer" engl. "the Trixxer".

German is at least quite straightforward. That fact can help with learning it.

Temple

the people that buy my stuff don't care for grammar or typos.
This also applies to webnovels funnily enough. A long time ago, when there were only a few english translators of japanese/chinese novels, people are very okay with machine translated nonsense. I was also okay with it even if it fried a few brain cells per chapters, so long as it was the popular tropes. Genre/tropes are very powerful in webnovels that readers will forgive shittiness to get their fix.

Anyway, can also try to advertise on RR. The authors who will hire editors are those with big banks, and they're mostly over at RR.
But then again, even the big authors there say that editing is not needed once readers are hooked, (some even discourage taking time in editing) just like people staying for bad episodes just because they want to see the ending.

Missivist

Wait what?
I Googled a little bit. The US Foreign Service Institute ranks languages on the basis of hours needed to learn, for English speakers:
600 hr: Afrikaans, Danish, Dutch, Norwegian, Danish, Italian, French, Spanish, Romanian or Portuguese
750 hr: German
900 hr: Indonesian, Malaysian, or Swahili
1100 hr: Many other languages, with extra effort for some
2200 hr: Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Korean, with extra effort required for Japanese.

This makes sense based on the family tree of European languages. Anglo-Saxon was a Germanic language (closest to Frisian, or Dutch) that borrowed a lot from the Normans (Old French with Viking influences). Old French is a Romance language, and Dutch is a parent of Afrikaans, but High German seems to have evolved away from English. That makes German one of the more difficult Indo-European languages – but it is still a lot easier than Japanese!

melchi

What is a custom title?
I don't think there are many successful authors here that have enough money to hire a translator and editor. I looked at some free lance editors that have websites and the going rate for a whole book is thousands of dollars.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
lmao, it’s sad but true
russian is harder to learn imo

Don’t look for one.

BearlyAlive

I don't think there are many successful authors here that have enough money to hire a translator and editor. I looked at some free lance editors that have websites and the going rate for a whole book is thousands of dollars.
Professional editor prices are pretty nuts. Translating a page is like 3$, but someone editing the same page is suddenly up to 5 times that price... Those prices don't make sense. How are a grammar check and a little sentence restructuring worth more than a complete recount in a different language... I hope they're happy knowing their "hard-earned money" is blood money :blobspearpeek:

I mean, I'm trying to sell myself here, but anything higher than 7.5$ for especially hard cases, and I mean me-no-speaks-english-cases, would hurt my conscience...

add me on IG I might use you in the future if I like your prices.
I'm not using Instagram, any other way to get in contact with you?

theartofwar901

Well, I can give you my email address. The only social media I have right now is IG actually. Or u can pm me and give me your phone number and Ill add you to contacts.
Unless thats against the rules.