Are there any fantasy stories where humans are better?

forli

I think that I need to cleanse my palate from all the fantasy novels where humans suck... so is there any novel that's the opposite of that? Some people pointed me to the "hfy" subreddit, but everything there seems to be science fiction.

So, is there a fantasy novel in which humans are both 'the good guys' and naturally 'stronger' than most of the other fantasy races? And I don't mean the usual 'humans have the power of being expendable' crap, I mean individually stronger.

Novels that have every non-human be a superior race like that are a dime a dozen, but I don't think that a fantasy novel with humans on that role exists...

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer

forli

I mean, fair enough, but a story with the MC is the only human is not exactly what I had in mind... At that point, it feels closer to a reincarnation cheat.

Also, it looks like there are only 4 chapters translated...

SailusGebel

I mean, fair enough, but a story with the MC is the only human is not exactly what I had in mind... At that point, it feels closer to a reincarnation cheat.

Also, it looks like there are only 4 chapters translated...
That's the closest I could think of. The manga adaption is finished and translsated fully, 63 chapters.

forli

I admit that I know next to nothing about warhammer, but I was under the impression that the elves and lizard men were stronger than humans.

SailusGebel

I admit that I know next to nothing about warhammer, but I was under the impression that the elves and lizard men were stronger than humans.
Depends on what you consider strength.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
In the individual strength of an average person yes, but humans are more organized than the other races, and are able to create long lasting civilizations that threaten every other species. The human leaders are very strong and can stand toe to toe with the other races, also two human characters were able to become gods, and one of those basically destroyed the entire setting. The humans are the most powerful race in warhammer fantasy bar maybe chaos deamons.

Tsuru

Robot
I think that I need to cleanse my palate from all the fantasy novels where humans suck... so is there any novel that's the opposite of that? Some people pointed me to the "hfy" subreddit, but everything there seems to be science fiction.

So, is there a fantasy novel in which humans are both 'the good guys' and naturally 'stronger' than most of the other fantasy races? And I don't mean the usual 'humans have the power of being expendable' crap, I mean individually stronger.

Novels that have every non-human be a superior race like that are a dime a dozen, but I don't think that a fantasy novel with humans on that role exists...
What you ask for is far too niche, hence why there is only this jp novel of "mc being op human alone-remaining"

Because just like everyone think "elf = longer ear + big lifespan" for everyone "humans = jack of all trades master of none / or can choose direction of focus unlike dwarf only being blacksmithing + fast reproduction". Important point about "reproduction" because a bunch of mangas mention humans surpassing other races thx to their far too numerous population after a few years. Like 100 millions humans vs 1m elf is a disproportionate superiority.

There are some chinese manhuas or novels that indeed can fit your interest, but as you expect the MC is not human and fight humans that rule supremacy. I think one manhua basically a goddess/destiny or whatever it is upthere, made humans always win against demi-humans-beasts = a elder explain to MC that everytime they were gonna win against humans something happened like plague/leader-sudden-madness/natural disaster.

--------------
@forli @SailusGebel WAIT WAIT. Speaking of goddess there is the popular series :

Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu

that got humans kinda being superior (i think).

Tsukimichi: Moonlit Fantasy - Wikipedia
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu - Zerochan Anime Image Board

With the goddess basically hating ugliness, giving blessing mostly to humans, especially language blessing.
MC who isekai-ed because of being son of 2 natives that escaped to modern-earth, was disliked by goddess because not handsome, so he is sent to border of the land near the demi-humans. MC will befriend them. But will also interact with humans later. Got anime adap btw.

Warning, the series got a fair dose of very dark moments. And some very-dark "what-if-bad-end" chapters.

PS : I recommend the novel "Dad restaurant in another world" completed. Where it fusion isekai+ strength is like realm-ranking-lvls like xianxia. A previous famous series ranked top5 in chinese website qidian in "fantasy" or chinese raw websites.
The point is, sure elf is better at magic, but beside that, it kinda got a fairness in term of "strength" as it depends on hardwork/talent. Its wholesome, and MC transmigrate into the body of the human that is the strongest in the continent (even other races didn't have a strong person like him) but of course cripped at begin chap. You got fire mages, swordmen, but strength is categorized like "fire mage realm1" realm2 etc. Which show that fusion of jp-chinese (and korean) can create great series.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu​

that got humans kinda being superior (i think).

With the goddess basically hating ugliness, giving blessing mostly to humans, especially language blessing.
MC who isekai-ed because of being son of 2 natives that escaped to modern-earth, was disliked by goddess because not handsome, so he is sent to border of the land near the demi-humans. MC will befriend them. But will also interact with humans later. Got anime adap btw.

Warning, the series got a fair dose of very dark moments. And some very-dark "what-if-bad-end" chapters.
I think Forli looks for a story where humans are generally stronger. And if my memory serves me right, Moon Journey's humans aren't the strongest. MC is a human and op, yes, but other human heroes aren't that strong and lost multiple times to demi-humans. And overall humans there aren't the strongest.

Tsuru

Robot
I think Forli looks for a story where humans are generally stronger. And if my memory serves me right, Moon Journey's humans aren't the strongest. MC is a human and op, yes, but other human heroes aren't that strong and lost multiple times to demi-humans. And overall humans there aren't the strongest.
Yep correct that is why i wrote "kinda" as i was not sure. Also its been very long since i checked it. Only remembered the goddess giving a big big bonus to humans and discrediting the demihumans.

I guess OP got better chance by looking at/searching series (plurial) where MC is inhuman so the humans are the villains hence are stronger as a MC always need strong superior enemies.

SailusGebel

I guess OP got better chance by looking at/searching series (plurial) where MC is inhuman so the humans are the villains hence are stronger as a MC always need strong superior enemies.

Erys

Her Highness
Most Asian/West Taiwanese folklores make humans so OP other races wants to become human. Something about humans having unlimited potential/plateau so nothing is impossible for them. Like the Demons in Journey to the West and the Kumiho in West Japan whose ultimate goal is to become human.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Tribulation of Myriad Clans

It is not good.

But it does has the whole "humans are the best" thing going on and examples are given as such in the work:
1. Humans are born weak and with no racial skill but has learn how to steal other races' abilities and make martial arts out of it.
2. The human world is the only world that lacks a heavenly rule that debuffs any other races that enter into their world eg) a dragon entering into the phoenix world is courting death because of said debuff. Similarly, humans do not get debuff from entering other worlds.
This is because the human world was the centre of the universe and where the human emperor would order his vassals (other races) to do his bidding.
3. The human race has three other subraces that became the top contenders of trying to extinct humanity. They are the deities (cultivators), the devils and the angels (godkins).

TotallyHuman

Supreme soaring immortal - maybe. There was a point of humans being "the primates of all beings" and "made to fit the Dao as closely as possible" and it was hinted that human bloodline has a lot of potential of being elevated. As for humans not being evil... C'mon this is a xianxia, everybody is a sly egotistical rat to some extent.
I loved this series but human supremacy is a problem I had with this story. As a human I do not want to imagine that what we are is the best that could be. If it's fantasy why not make something better than humans rather than fetishising ourselves?
Might as well just write humans who are better than what is in the real world - but that would not be humans.
There is a story called Ning Shu (not really but you can search it) and humans are loved there by the author. They are pretty realistic - meaning that they are disgusting sacks of shit, but they are better in being loved by small worlds for probably no other reason than than the author being a pervert.
It's disgusting. Not the story, it's pretty neat.

forli

As a human I do not want to imagine that what we are is the best that could be. If it's fantasy why not make something better than humans rather than fetishising ourselves?
Well, I would also like to imagine that what we are is not the best that can be, that's why it's annoying that so many authors keep reinforcing the idea that the only way to be better is to be born better.

But if you don't want to fetishize our own society you can just have humans that are better because their society is better-developed compared to ours... And that's probably why better humans are more common in science fiction, now that I think about it.

miyoga

I think that it's more like how we advance technology through sci-fi. If you look at how we got some of the tech we do, it came from the imagination, got put on a screen and then someone else said "that's so cool, let's make it real."

With humans in fantasy, why then would we WANT to write about ourselves as being the best when you have an entire myriad of others to explore and play around with? I mean, there's one story on here where the demi-humans live in peace with humans in an integrated society, but their emphasis on family is the key highlight of the various beast-kin species. In a lot of novels (both web and paper), elves are generally portrayed as having effective governments while dwarves are seen as fair-ish merchants and top-notch metalworkers. This ends up with the idea that, through our actions and words, we are trying to create the "supremacy" of human society that you find lacking in most novels. It's very likely that humans are portrayed as being these goblin-like creatures with over-inflated egos because that's just how we currently are and it's hard to imagine us as anything else.

If you don't reinforce the qualities that are desired and constantly and consistently point out the flaws, then how does anything ever move forward?

Tsuru

Robot
Good + Superior to other races
is a contradiction in term of writing

1) Let's say that MC is human, they are good, and superior to other races. Now what kinda of plot is possible ? Not many and restrict far too much. Also as "drama" is the best spice for fantasy series unlike slowlife or wholesome-only, meaning it's even more less likely to appear.
Possibility of novel with the setting : MC appear in world in peace, BAM, suddenly evil big aliens or dimensional monsters attack and everyone band together.

2) Human nature. Now it's known reality is shit, full of bad people and not butterflies. It feels unrealistic to have "humans" being superior AND good to other races, because most series already shown that human beings a greedy species. Most nowadays readers know that humans, especially easterners (recently unlike years ago), is a race that can as bad as the devil or as good as angels but with evil people far more common.
Unlike years ago, where you can see lot of novels with poetic or positive mood, like "knight save the world and get the princess", kids of that time now grew up and experience(d) the cruel society and know that this kind of thing is unrealistic. Now it feel more real when seeing plots of novels : "knight save the world and executed by the country because of fear of his strength". Internet also helped expose lot of ugliness of the world. For example, jp did very horrible things during WW2 despite being currently a country with lot of etiquette where you can even find shops that don't even have cameras or a clerk where the buyer pay by themselves.

3) Like i said before, the cliche/routine is far too anchored in the mind of everyone, that "human beings are jack-all-trade with fast reproduction". Asking for humans being superior to other races, is like finding a series portraying elf with purple skin, or orc being gracious, or dwarf being a maritime race of explorers that like the ocean.

4) Now compared to era of masterpieces like Mushoku, Arifureta, To aru majutsu, God of martial arts, Tower of God, Tutorial is too hard, etc
now most authors try far less to be original and try to use mainstreams routines. Its because now most readers are zoomers. Getting 1m readers of kids (that dont care to abuse wallets of parents) compared to 100k of old readers that consume smartly, the choice is not hard for people.
Also, for east, movies it's far safer to create a popcorn copypaste movie that dont cost a lot compared to a costly one with ton of special effects but can flop as it's original. In the same vein, authors prefer going the safe route of what everyone is accustomed to, compared to being brave and creating a totally original new settings that have a high-chance of flopping as zoomers just want adrenaline and the routines they like.

1.5) Related to [1]. Authors won't be sure to control the plot they could imagine with the setting of "humans superiors and good". Also maybe there are series that indeed use this setting. But problem is that because of internet surge, the number of series done by everyone and amateurs jumped at a crazy rate AND low remuneration. I know some very great series that had high potential but dropped/axed because they didn't get popularity hence gave up, one top favorite was a hotel novel where the rooms could give effects or a lucky-charm system that reset daily with high comedy.

1.5.5) Do you know ? You crave this kind of unique setting but some veteran readers like me, crave some easier settings but despite that it's been years but we still didn't see them.
One the most popular : We wish to see a chinese MC using a deathnote or something similar.
There was some series that had MC using curses or unlucky book or livestream punishing evil or even livestream-punishing evil with cameo of death note, but never we could find a novel (not fanfic) where the MC get a death note.
Not even a problem of copyright, but just ...... them not even trying. There are pokemon novels, marvel novels, cyberpunk novels, spoiling bunch of movies, use settings of other novels, they don't fear copyrights problems but doing a MC using death note ? no.
Also authors prefer doing routines and anti-routines: jp doing isekai, chinese doing urban or xianxia or fantasy-western, KR towers or urban-portals.

ps : For me, i crave 2 particular things because i seen 2 uncomplete novels with the idea. A talking system that can foresee the future for MC and a lucky-based system (bc the novel about lucky charm was too fun). But despite this plot is not that hard to AT LEAST try, never i seen series with this plots. But of course i see some novels like "MC can contact his past self with letter or phone messages" (not title) or able to phone call his future or young self, or there was a famous webtoon with a gambler class MC.
But never, N.E.V.E.R there were authors trying to do plots focusing that hard. Despite the crazy potential on that. [Edit : Oh "Luckiest man" is a popular chinese webnovel masterpiece that had luck-system that used KR-portals idea. Proof of the high potential of "luck system".]
Maybe i should check "webnovel.com" but the quality there......and often they are axed/hiatus or weird flavor as it's done by westerners.

SailusGebel

Good + Superior to other races
is a contradiction in term of writing

1) Let's say that MC is human, they are good, and superior to other races. Now what kinda of plot is possible ? Not many and restrict far too much. Also as "drama" is the best spice for fantasy series unlike slowlife or wholesome-only, meaning it's even more less likely to appear.
Possibility of novel with the setting : MC appear in world in peace, BAM, suddenly evil big aliens or dimensional monsters attack and everyone band together.

2) Human nature. Now it's known reality is shit, full of bad people and not butterflies. It feels unrealistic to have "humans" being superior AND good to other races, because most series already shown that human beings a greedy species. Most nowadays readers know that humans, especially easterners (recently unlike years ago), is a race that can as bad as the devil or as good as angels but with evil people far more common.
Unlike years ago, where you can see lot of novels with poetic or positive mood, like "knight save the world and get the princess", kids at that time grew up and experienced the society and know that this kind of thing is unrealistic and feel more real with plots of "knights save the world and executed by the country because of fear of his strength". Also because internet exposed lot of ugliness of the world.

3) Like i said before, the cliche/routine is far too anchored in the mind of everyone, that "human beings are jack-all-trade with fast reproduction". Asking for humans being superior to other races, is like finding a series portraying elf with purple skin, or orc being gracious, or dwarf being a maritime race of explorers that like the ocean.

4) Now compared to era of masterpieces like Mushoku, Arifureta, To aru majutsu, God of martial arts, Tower of God, Tutorial is too hard, etc
now most authors try far less to be original and try to use mainstreams routines. Its because now most readers are zoomers. Getting 1m readers of kids (that dont care to abuse wallets of parents) compared to 100k of old readers that consume smartly, the choice is not hard for people.
Also, for east, movies it's far safer to create a popcorn copypaste movie that dont cost a lot compared to a costly one with ton of special effects but can flop as it's original. In the same vein, authors prefer going the safe route of what everyone is accustomed to, compared to being brave and creating a totally original new settings that have a high-chance of flopping as zoomers just want adrenaline and the routines they like.

1.5) Related to [1]. Authors won't be sure to control the plot they could imagine with the setting of "humans superiors and good". Also maybe there are series that indeed use this setting. But problem is that because of internet surge, the number of series done by everyone and amateurs jumped at a crazy rate AND low remuneration. I know some very great series that had high potential but dropped/axed because they didn't get popularity hence gave up, one top favorite was a hotel novel where the rooms could give effects or a lucky-charm system that reset daily with high comedy.

1.5.5) Do you know ? You crave this kind of unique setting but some veteran readers like me, crave some easier settings but despite that it's been years but we still didn't see them.
One the most popular : We wish to see a chinese MC using a deathnote or something similar.
There was some series that had MC using curses or unlucky book or livestream punishing evil or even livestream-punishing evil with cameo of death note, but never we could find a novel (not fanfic) where the MC get a death note.
Not even a problem of copyright, but just ...... them not even trying. There are pokemon novels, marvel novels, cyberpunk novels, spoiling bunch of movies, use settings of other novels, they don't fear copyrights problems but doing a MC using death note ? no.
Also authors prefer doing routines and anti-routines: jp doing isekai, chinese doing urban or xianxia or fantasy-western, KR towers or urban-portals.

ps : For me, i crave 2 particular things because i seen 2 uncomplete novels with the idea. A talking system that can foresee the future for MC and a lucky-based system (bc the novel about lucky charm was too fun). But despite this plot is not that hard to AT LEAST try, never i seen series with this plots. But of course i see some novels like "MC can contact his past self with letter or phone messages" (not title) or able to phone call his future or young self, or there was a famous webtoon with a gambler class MC.
But never, N.E.V.E.R there were authors trying to do plots focusing that hard. Despite the crazy potential on that. [Edit : Oh "Luckiest man" is a popular chinese webnovel masterpiece that had luck-system that used KR-portals idea. Proof of the high potential of "luck system".]
Maybe i should check "webnovel.com" but the quality there......and often they are axed/hiatus or weird flavor as it's done by westerners.
Dude this is the wrong thread.