Are you a discovery writer or a planner?

Aefener

I've watched some writing classes videos in which Brandon Sanderson (the author of Mistborn and The Stormlight Archive if you don't know him) talks about two types of writers: discovery and planner. 🤔

It made me realise that I'm a thorough discovery case. I just sit down, have the characters in my head, a vague idea what's going to happen and I just make it happen somehow. Words simply spill out of me and things often entangle in a way I didn't anticipate in the beginning (in a good way mostly). Of course, I have to edit a lot afterwards which is the main disadvantage of discovery writers. 😅

On the other hand, a planner is someone who first writes down a clear structure of their chapters, does a ton of thinking beforehand and then gets to writing without having to edit the plot much afterwards. The main disadvantage is that the writing process loses a part of its spontaneity.

So... which one are you? Just curious. 😄

Aefener

Everyone here is a discoverer, if they are planners, why are they still writing web-novels when they can just write a full literary novel or light novel?
I dare to oppose. This applies also to renowned authors. It's not about being a lazy writer or a beginner, it's about how your brain processes the writing process. At least that's how Mr Sanderson explains it while mentioning his discovery colleagues.

Agentt

Thighs
I dare to oppose. This applies also to renowned authors. It's not about being a lazy writer or a beginner, it's about how your brain processes the writing process. At least that's how Mr Sanderson explains it while mentioning his discovery colleagues.
It would be better if you don't consider his points to be absolute truth, just remember that every person is unique and he surely didn't cover them all.

And Arcadia's point isn't far from truth. We all adapt from the comments we recieve from the comment section of each of our chapters after all. Sometimes they point out plot holes or contradictions from past chapters after all.
Anyone who is a planner mostly moves out from here after gaining enough followers that they can sustain themselves with patreon money and then they publish their book usually

CypherTails

Everyone here is a discoverer, if they are planners, why are they still writing web-novels when they can just write a full literary novel or light novel?
I'm a hybrid actually but more leaning towards planning, most of it is planned but I leave some room for free form and if the free form changes the crucial elements I adjust the plan. As to why some planners don't write a full novel I would suspect they don't take writing that seriously as a career path, because writers are more often than not, poor and unrecognized. Only a handful make it and most are uncomfortable with the risk.

Aefener

It would be better if you don't consider his points to be absolute truth, just remember that every person is unique and he surely didn't cover them all.
I'm sorry if I didn't express myself properly. 😓 I didn't mean it like that. Every writer is definitely unique and I also plan my story a lot. I'm now in 1/4 of my fiction and I know how it's going to end and what are the milestones/events/new characters on the way to get there. It's that process of sitting down and writing words that I'm spontaneous about.

I let my characters do their thing and let them get there on their own. Planners usually outline the whole chapter beforehand in detail. Discovery writers don't. That's the main difference I think. Both types have their advantages and disadvantages, it's not about being better or worse. You're right, Mr Sanderson definitely didn't cover all types in between, just those two who are in direct opposition to each other because it's easy to illustrate the difference.

Agentt

Thighs
I'm sorry if I didn't express myself properly. 😓 I didn't mean it like that. Every writer is definitely unique and I also plan my story a lot. I'm now in 1/4 of my fiction and I know how it's going to end and what are the milestones/events/new characters on the way to get there. It's that process of sitting down and writing words that I'm spontaneous about.

I let my characters do their thing and let them get there on their own. Planners usually outline the whole chapter beforehand in detail. Discovery writers don't. That's the main difference I think. Both types have their advantages and disadvantages, it's not about being better or worse. You're right, Mr Sanderson definitely didn't cover all types in between, just those two who are in direct opposition to each other because it's easy to illustrate the difference.
No, it's alright, as a psychology student, I just have to give people a disclaimer whenever they follow an advice which wasn't applied to a randomly selected sample space of at least 200 people beforehand

Last edited:

CypherTails

No, it's aleight, as a psychology study, I just have to give people a disclaimer whenever they follow an advice which wasn't applied to a randomly selected sample space of at least 200 people beforehand
Generally a good practice in most fields I would say. Most academic literature do note the limitations of the study.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I'm a mix of both since I plan out the world and the plot ahead of time but all the characters start out without a plan. That way I can discover the characters personality as the story progresses. This allows for a world and plot that isn't character driven so it feels more realistic. It also makes the characters personalities more believable because nothing they do feels forced.

Last edited:

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
I'm somewhere in between. If I were to say which one I was more than the other, then I'd say planner, but I discovery write in between the planned portions.

lambenttyto

Of course, I have to edit a lot afterwards which is the main disadvantage of discovery writers. 😅
I don't edit a lot, lol.

I don't really call myself a planner or a discovery writer, or even a hybrid. I use all methods when I decide the need arises. I've written big outlines, I've written from a purely blank page. My natural inclination is to plan it out, however that breaks my fun, so typically I'll write a blurb-like treatment, (does that count as an outline) and then write the entire story discovering as I go. As long as I have that little anchor point at the beginning, discovering is really easy for me. I think it's because I used to plan a lot, I have a very strong sense of plot structure, so when I discover, I rarely write anything that breaks the story.
Anyone who is a planner mostly moves out from here after gaining enough followers that they can sustain themselves with patreon money and then they publish their book usually
I don't know where you're getting that idea from, but it sounds like you're putting outlining on a pedestal.

It's that process of sitting down and writing words that I'm spontaneous about.
Faker! Fake discoverer! Hang him!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 22388

I've watched some writing classes videos in which Brandon Sanderson (the author of Mistborn and The Stormlight Archive if you don't know him) talks about two types of writers: discovery and planner. 🤔

It made me realise that I'm a thorough discovery case. I just sit down, have the characters in my head, a vague idea what's going to happen and I just make it happen somehow. Words simply spill out of me and things often entangle in a way I didn't anticipate in the beginning (in a good way mostly). Of course, I have to edit a lot afterwards which is the main disadvantage of discovery writers. 😅

On the other hand, a planner is someone who first writes down a clear structure of their chapters, does a ton of thinking beforehand and then gets to writing without having to edit the plot much afterwards. The main disadvantage is that the writing process loses a part of its spontaneity.

So... which one are you? Just curious. 😄
Planner|Discovery in the long|short run.

Jet

I believe discovery to be a more fruitful approach. But a planner myself sadly. Too lazy to start at it without the months worth of putting in an assortment of ideas first.

Comiak

Foxgirl enthusiast
Definitely a planner, I love it when my writing surprises me and how I'm taken along for the ride.