asking for free stuff

Look, not only do I hate when someone asks something for free, I hate taking anything for free. I got a couple of offers from my readers to help with my stories. I denied every offer because I couldn't offer anything in return. So, when artists willingly go and ask for reviews(for free) or go into threads that offer free reviews; and THEN, they scold people who ask for free cover. I don't know; it just doesn't look right to me. Tell everyone who asks for a free review to do it themselves. Well, they can't do it, so tell them to pay for each review. I foresee that I will get a few responses towards this proposition, mostly saying that my logic is flawed, and so on. But it's the fairest thing to do. If you admonish people that asking for a free cover is bad, you should also admonish people who ask for free reviews. You shouldn't ask for free reviews yourself, and don't give free reviews. I'm talking about forum reviews.
you post your work for free, and unless you read literally nothing on the site, you're consuming other people's work for free as well. your logic is flawed mate.
but wanting to pay for something even though you had for free is a normal behavior.

SailusGebel

Your logic isn't flawed, and you're right. Sailus Senpai, though I have to say if your fan wants to do something for you. I say you should let them. After all, you are providing a free story for them. *I don't know if you have a Patreon or are charging them in a way.* But if your story is 100% free, then you should accept any help. You are offering your story. :blob_aww:
Well, the thing is...
The ego is massive. Too big to realize that time is precious and valuable.:blob_uwu:
Time is too precious. I'm not a saint, I do take things for free sometimes, but I try to do it as rarely as I can.

Also, you are right. And it's why I don't ask for free reviews on my story unless they are offering. Why? Because I want to see where I am weak and I can improve. So, if they offer, why not? Heck, not that I expect them to do it. Though when they do it, I learn and move on. I also try to help others now and then to balance it out. So, no, you can't do a review on your own, but you can help others to pay back. Or do swaps. Not that everyone does this.:sweat_smile:
I wasn't talking about you; I was talking about people in general. And also, if you talk about yourself, I will talk about myself as well. I want to improve as well. So what? I don't want other people to spend their precious time on me if I can't offer anything to them in return. Heck, perhaps they do it to ego stroke. So what? Should I abuse this fact and ask for a review? Swap is something I forgot, yeah. So, with this forgotten thin, I can say to you the following. You should go and tell anyone who asks for a free review to do a swap review. Why? Cause...
However, people simply shouldn't ask for free things. Especially using this terrible argument that op placed. Idk if it was how I was raised. But things that require hard work shouldn't be asked for. So, I always answer with do it yourself. If they can't, then they should know why they shouldn't ask for free custom art. Even for a cover...
You get it, right? People can't do reviews by themselves, so you should teach them that they shouldn't ask for a free review and do a swap review. To not be a hypocrite.

And lastly.
:blob_aww:We aren't talking about editing, which would be the same as a cover, though. Imagine editing 3k words or more for a story you haven't written and probably have little interest. This is very different from giving a review. It takes a lot of time. That is the only flaw I see in your argument. Though let's get real, short reviews take little time 2-3 chapters, in-depth reviews take you to read the whole story. This is something almost no one is doing for free unless they like the story.:blob_blank:

I honestly would rather brainlessly read a story than edit it.:sweating_profusely: Then just say the grammar was shit in my review. xD
It doesn't matter what is the same or not. By your logic, if I ain't stealing a thousand dollars, I can steal burger. Cause burger isn't the same as thousand dollars. Time is precious, no matter one hour, one minute, or one week. It's the cheapest and lowliest trick artists use to say their stuck-up behavior is excusable. Cause art takes more time to do... Sigh... What can I say here? I can say that if I use the same logic, I can ask for free art. If I specify that you should draw for less than an hour, I can ask for free art, right? Why? Well, because...
Though let's get real, short reviews take little time 2-3 chapters, in-depth reviews take you to read the whole story.
So, if I specify that an artist shouldn't spend more than an hour drawing, I can justify asking for free art, right?

SailusGebel

between the lions, pbs. google it. but also, between the lines. did that not just happen to you with the quote of yours i referenced?
I don't know. :blob_blank: I wrote a joke and received a joke in return. At least that's how I see it.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Artists AND writers deserve to be paid. Personally, I'm looking into paying someone to finish writing my story since I have a baby and much less free time now. I thought I had someone, but they haven't gotten back to me lately.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Well, the thing is...

Time is too precious. I'm not a saint, I do take things for free sometimes, but I try to do it as rarely as I can.

I wasn't talking about you; I was talking about people in general. And also, if you talk about yourself, I will talk about myself as well. I want to improve as well. So what? I don't want other people to spend their precious time on me if I can't offer anything to them in return. Heck, perhaps they do it to ego stroke. So what? Should I abuse this fact and ask for a review? Swap is something I forgot, yeah. So, with this forgotten thin, I can say to you the following. You should go and tell anyone who asks for a free review to do a swap review. Why? Cause...
I know you weren't talking about me, my dear senpai, but I have to use myself as an example. Thus, I am the only one who I know. So here I go. Fun, I offer my story as a pass time and my tears after they write a review. If they are offering for it, that is. I have tried to do review swaps and ended up disliking the whole thing. Skewed and uneven opinions written on those.

Most of the people doing free reviews want something to read so they can do two things. One gets impressed by what they read because they are bored and ended up reading a nicely surprising story. Or two what Zirrboy said. Talk shit and be thanked for that. I like the shit-talking because I can learn from that. The fluff leaves me the same as I was.

This is to a point, too. If the criticism isn't helpful, well, it ends up the same as the fluff. I won't deny the free thoughts of someone doing it because they want to. They are honest since they don't owe you a thing, unlike review swaps that are skewed to one side, fearing the other author will fuck with you. Again, IF they offer.

I should say I think we think free things are different. Asking and offering are two different things. If they offer well I wouldn't stop myself from saying hey, can you draw this for me? Why? Because it is free and they offered. It is like I offer to help someone. If they accept, well, I fucking offered. I better do good on my word.

Life is full of trades. Yet asking for something in such a ranty manner leaves an unpleasant taste in anyone's mouth.

Kinda feels like we are comparing apples to oranges here. Therefore, I compared it more to editing. Something that has value and about the same amount of effort. And that anyone can do themselves if they learn from their mistakes. Not that will eliminate everything, but heck, a person can polish their work.

You get it, right? People can't do reviews by themselves, so you should teach them that they shouldn't ask for a free review and do a swap review. To not be a hypocrite.
I'm no saint, and I can be a hypocrite. Everyone is to some point. So, I don't understand when people say, oh you do this, but don't do that. You are a hypocrite. I lecture where I feel I have a good standing ground to argue. I won't argue about a dying rock. Can't tell them to do review swaps on a site that doesn't exist.

Heck, I hate review swaps. They are tedious when a story is boring as fuck, but no one gets paid for those. The reward is a biased post too. So I don't believe in fucking reviews... unless they are free. You know they don't owe you a single thing. So their words usually have more weight to them. Especially for the praises.

So, whoever wants to spend their time reading a story to crap talk it or do anything to it. They can. Rarely anyone does. I sure don't. I just give feedback on the first few paragraphs of a story if I can, maybe more if it catches my view. Then again, reviews on websites like these always end up being free. No one pays for them from what I have seen so, again comparing oranges to apples.

Unless you are a professional critic. Though I don't even know how those people get paid, either.:sweating_profusely:

It doesn't matter what is the same or not. By your logic, if I ain't stealing a thousand dollars, I can steal burger. Cause burger isn't the same as thousand dollars. Time is precious, no matter one hour, one minute, or one week. It's the cheapest and lowliest trick artists use to say their stuck-up behavior is excusable. Cause art takes more time to do... Sigh... What can I say here? I can say that if I use the same logic, I can ask for free art. If I specify that you should draw for less than an hour, I can ask for free art, right? Why? Well, because...
Uh, when did I say that? I was comparing the effort of time rather than the value. Yet again, reviews are usually always free. All you get is swap, which is biased or not. Usually, the people who offer want to do it. And like I said before, I can't tell anyone to do a review swap on a site where it doesn't exist.

So, it does matter if it is the same or not. Reviews are always free, no matter how you look at them. There isn't any monetary value and people don't do it for a living in these sites at least. Art you do, writing is for a living, well for some. I don't.

In the end, I won't be telling people to stop asking for reviews as they aren't the same thing. A review has always been free from what I have seen. I don't see anyone charging a dollar for reviewing a book. While people who ask for free art, I will tell them to do it themselves same with people who ask for free editing, stories, and all the other shit they are too lazy to learn. Yet want for free. And don't give me the crap, Oh we don't have time. *Not you as in you, but general.*

If you have time to read a book/game/write/look at your social media, you have time for anything.:blob_blank:

I don't know if that is a trick that artists do, but rather a view. I am not an artist, yet I think all of them should get paid for their effort. Same as us. Sadly, this isn't a thing. People are used to getting free stuff, so we keep giving it.

Therefore, I will keep saying do it yourself, w.e it maybe that doesn't require a second party. If I can do it, anyone can. I am no fucking expert in both writing and art. Especially a fucking noob in art. Yet I am proud of my writing. I feel it is decent, and it is thanks to the people of this forum who helped guide me.

If we are going down the road of reviews, this could apply to beta readers, too. Which is why I ask for none. Unless they offer.

So, if I specify that an artist shouldn't spend more than an hour drawing, I can justify asking for free art, right?
Nope, my lovely Sailus senpai. c: I understand where you are coming from, but both our views are flawed to a point. I can't 100% argue fully with your statement. As in the end, I am a hypocrite, like you said. In an ideal world, everyone would get paid for their hard work. Sadly, we don't live in one.

SailusGebel

I know you weren't talking about me, my dear senpai, but I have to use myself as an example. Thus, I am the only one who I know. So here I go. Fun, I offer my story as a pass time and my tears after they write a review. If they are offering for it, that is. I have tried to do review swaps and ended up disliking the whole thing. Skewed and uneven opinions written on those.

Most of the people doing free reviews want something to read so they can do two things. One gets impressed by what they read because they are bored and ended up reading a nicely surprising story. Or two what Zirrboy said. Talk shit and be thanked for that. I like the shit-talking because I can learn from that. The fluff leaves me the same as I was.

This is to a point, too. If the criticism isn't helpful, well, it ends up the same as the fluff. I won't deny the free thoughts of someone doing it because they want to. They are honest since they don't owe you a thing, unlike review swaps that are skewed to one side, fearing the other author will fuck with you. Again, IF they offer.

I should say I think we think free things are different. Asking and offering are two different things. If they offer well I wouldn't stop myself from saying hey, can you draw this for me? Why? Because it is free and they offered. It is like I offer to help someone. If they accept, well, I fucking offered. I better do good on my word.

Life is full of trades. Yet asking for something in such a ranty manner leaves an unpleasant taste in anyone's mouth.

Kinda feels like we are comparing apples to oranges here. Therefore, I compared it more to editing. Something that has value and about the same amount of effort. And that anyone can do themselves if they learn from their mistakes. Not that will eliminate everything, but heck, a person can polish their work.

I'm no saint, and I can be a hypocrite. Everyone is to some point. So, I don't understand when people say, oh you do this, but don't do that. You are a hypocrite. I lecture where I feel I have a good standing ground to argue. I won't argue about a dying rock. Can't tell them to do review swaps on a site that doesn't exist.

Heck, I hate review swaps. They are tedious when a story is boring as fuck, but no one gets paid for those. The reward is a biased post too. So I don't believe in fucking reviews... unless they are free. You know they don't owe you a single thing. So their words usually have more weight to them. Especially for the praises.

So, whoever wants to spend their time reading a story to crap talk it or do anything to it. They can. Rarely anyone does. I sure don't. I just give feedback on the first few paragraphs of a story if I can, maybe more if it catches my view. Then again, reviews on websites like these always end up being free. No one pays for them from what I have seen so, again comparing oranges to apples.

Unless you are a professional critic. Though I don't even know how those people get paid, either.:sweating_profusely:

Uh, when did I say that? I was comparing the effort of time rather than the value. Yet again, reviews are usually always free. All you get is swap, which is biased or not. Usually, the people who offer want to do it. And like I said before, I can't tell anyone to do a review swap on a site where it doesn't exist.

So, it does matter if it is the same or not. Reviews are always free, no matter how you look at them. There isn't any monetary value and people don't do it for a living in these sites at least. Art you do, writing is for a living, well for some. I don't.

In the end, I won't be telling people to stop asking for reviews as they aren't the same thing. A review has always been free from what I have seen. I don't see anyone charging a dollar for reviewing a book. While people who ask for free art, I will tell them to do it themselves same with people who ask for free editing, stories, and all the other shit they are too lazy to learn. Yet want for free. And don't give me the crap, Oh we don't have time. *Not you as in you, but general.*

If you have time to read a book/game/write/look at your social media, you have time for anything.:blob_blank:

I don't know if that is a trick that artists do, but rather a view. I am not an artist, yet I think all of them should get paid for their effort. Same as us. Sadly, this isn't a thing. People are used to getting free stuff, so we keep giving it.

Therefore, I will keep saying do it yourself, w.e it maybe that doesn't require a second party. If I can do it, anyone can. I am no fucking expert in both writing and art. Especially a fucking noob in art. Yet I am proud of my writing. I feel it is decent, and it is thanks to the people of this forum who helped guide me.

If we are going down the road of reviews, this could apply to beta readers, too. Which is why I ask for none. Unless they offer.

Nope, my lovely Sailus senpai. c: I understand where you are coming from, but both our views are flawed to a point. I can't 100% argue fully with your statement. As in the end, I am a hypocrite, like you said. In an ideal world, everyone would get paid for their hard work. Sadly, we don't live in one.
Stop calling me senpai. I get this feeling that I'm younger than you, and you don't call someone younger as senpai.

I'm not buying what you said about time. Nuh-uh, nope. And all the other things you wrote, I'm not buying it, sorry.

I think I got your position. I don't agree with you, and you won't agree with me. Sooo, this conversation was another useless waste of time, and I keep failing and repeating my mistake by starting those useless dialogues. :blob_pat_sad:

EternalSunset0

I like how OP's account was created literally hours ago. I may be wrong, but it feels like someone's alt created just for the sole purpose of ranting.

grandiddykane

Sooo, this conversation was another useless waste of time, and I keep failing and repeating my mistake by starting those useless dialogues. :blob_pat_sad:
"lastly, i just want to say i don't appreciate people who read between the lines. so here's what i'll do. if you don't address every single thing i said in this thread and show me that you understand and know that i'm spitting facts and that there's nothing you can do to deny it, i will not bother replying to it."

SailusGebel

"lastly, i just want to say i don't appreciate people who read between the lines. so here's what i'll do. if you don't address every single thing i said in this thread and show me that you understand and know that i'm spitting facts and that there's nothing you can do to deny it, i will not bother replying to it."
What?

grandiddykane

I like how OP's account was created literally hours ago. I may be wrong, but it feels like someone's alt created just for the sole purpose of ranting.
sadly you are wrong. i made another post (probably a little before this, too lazy to check) asking for recommendations. maybe you can help me out with that? also, i have no need of a burner. i've been banned on every forum i visit for a reason: not because i'm a troll, but because i have controversial opinions that hurt feelings, like your own.
Dude, don't expect me to understand everything, okay? I'm not the brightest lad, and I don't know English well enough to understand everything.
last paragraph of the head of this thread. basically just telling you to grow some thick skin. stop letting people bait you. you can't change people's viewpoints, and it's pointless to even attempt it, that's why i refrain from it. took a lot of practice and banned accounts, but hey. if you (not you, you) don't agree with me, then gtfo my face :)

Last edited: