Author Notice: Please Select a "Main Genre"

Tony

Staff member
All new stories are required to select a "Main Genre". As for existing stories, it's not something you need to do ASAP but please do it whenever you can. You can select your main genre from your story dashboard.

Untitled-1.jpg

Why do I need to select a main genre? It's for features (a lot!) I'm planning for the future. It'll benefit both readers and authors. One feature would be a better recommendation system. If you're looking for isekai novels, it makes zero sense to show you mature + isekai+ boys love novels, right?

There's a lot more I'm planning with the main genre but I'll keep quiet for now until I'm ready. There's no point in talking about it when I'm still fixing bugs :censored:

Last edited by a moderator:

Blitz

『⛰Ping-Pong Cat❄️』『⚡️New member⚡️』

mrsimple

Writer
Can we ask the readers to decide what kind of genre would befit my stories? Some of my works are a mixed bag.

Tony

Staff member
Can we ask the readers to decide what kind of genre would befit my stories? Some of my works are a mixed bag.

Of course you can! It's your story so it's up to you how you decide the main genre.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
All new stories are required to select a "Main Genre". As for existing stories, it's not something you need to do ASAP but please do it whenever you can. You can select your main genre from your story dashboard.

View attachment 353

Why do I need to select a main genre? It's for features (a lot!) I'm planning for the future. It'll benefit both readers and authors. One feature would be a better recommendation system. If you're looking for isekai novels, it makes zero sense to show you mature + isekai+ boys love novels, right?

There's a lot more I'm planning with the main genre but I'll keep quiet for now until I'm ready. There's no point in talking about it when I'm still fixing bugs :censored:

Isn't this what negative search is for? You remove genres you don't want.

Also, when is litrpg going to finally be acknowledged as a genre?

Or is this suppose to be an alternative to tag weights?

Side note: Isn't shounen, josei and etc demographics ... they aren't really genres (well maybe shounen is becoming its own genre these days). And doesn't Mature conflict with content warning?

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Isn't this what negative search is for? You remove genres you don't want.

I think you're talking about the series finder or maybe the release filtering tool? I'm referring to the recommendation system which appears as a widget for all novels but that's not the only reason why I'm asking for a main genre. It's actually really important for the future.

And doesn't Mature conflict with content warning?

The content warning provides more details. The content warning isn't a genre.

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
Will this affect the ranking system?
Like a novel that was labelled number 1 fantasy selects comedy as their main genre would it take the novel off the fantasy genre?

Econ

But many of the stories can't be defined by the this way. It would be very broad. For me, I think selecting one of the current main genres doesn't explain my novel completely.

Tony

Staff member
Will this affect the ranking system?
Like a novel that was labelled number 1 fantasy selects comedy as their main genre would it take the novel off the fantasy genre?

No, it won't affect the ranking system.

But many of the stories can't be defined by the this way. It would be very broad. For me, I think selecting one of the current main genres doesn't explain my novel completely.

It's just selecting the best genre which describes your story. You still have the other genres and tags. Think of it as an 'extra' rather than a 'minus'.

Econ

No, it won't affect the ranking system.

It's just selecting the best genre which describes your story. You still have the other genres and tags. Think of it as an 'extra' rather than a 'minus'.
You are working for the best of the site and its users. If you explained it a bit more clearly it would be great, but as you said you will keep quiet till it is ready. I will be eagerly waiting for that.

Tony

Staff member
You are working for the best of the site and its users. If you explained it a bit more clearly it would be great, but as you said you will keep quiet till it is ready. I will be eagerly waiting for that.

I'm the type of person that doesn't like to reveal things unless I'm close enough to be able to implement it... if that makes sense. I dislike getting someone's hopes up so soon.

Thanks though! Having a main genre is definitely a plus.

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
Also, when is litrpg going to finally be acknowledged as a genre?
Honestly with the way English originals have been going litrpg is pretty much essential as a genre. There are so many novels that are focused on it as a primary genre even right now.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Honestly with the way English originals have been going litrpg is pretty much essential as a genre. There are so many novels that are focused on it as a primary genre even right now.
I kind of agree that it would make sense to have a review of the genres.

The NU genres don't match exactly with what's popular in the English originals world.

Furthermore, some of the current genres aren't all evenly distributed. For instance, "mecha" could easily be viewed as a sub-genre of "sci-fi", making it kind of strange if someone sets "mecha" as their main genre versus "sci-fi".

The "romance" genre is also highly ambiguous, both from a reader's and author's perspective. As somebody who reads josei/shoujo, sometimes I find that picking the demographic is a little bit more meaningful to me than "romance" as a genre, because some people throw the "romance" tag when they mean "harem" or any story that contains a little romance. If I were writing a josei romance story, I think I would have trouble deciding which of the two tags to pick.

In short, it may be a good idea to do a careful review of which genres to have.

Another possible suggestion is to have this split into four different categories:
  • Age Demographic: [All-ages] [Teen] [Adult] [R-18+/Explicit]
  • Reader Demographic: [General / Male] [Female] [LGBT]
  • Fiction Type: [Poetry] [Short Story] [Fanfiction] [Original Novel] [Web Serial]
  • Main Genre: [General] [Comedy] [Sci-fi] [Fantasy] [Romance] [Mystery] ... picking broad genres are best

^ All of this can be varied around, but if you collected this kind information, it should be sufficient to help you make good recommendations.

It also eliminates some of the confounding from genre categories vs. demographic categories in the current list.

Last edited:

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
I kind of agree that it would make sense to have a review of the genres.

The NU genres don't match exactly with what's popular in the English originals world.

Furthermore, some of the current genres aren't all evenly distributed. For instance, "mecha" could easily be viewed as a sub-genre of "sci-fi", making it kind of strange if someone sets "mecha" as their main genre versus "sci-fi".

The "romance" genre is also highly ambiguous, both from a reader's and author's perspective. As somebody who reads josei/shoujo, sometimes I find that picking the demographic is a little bit more meaningful to me than "romance" as a genre, because some people throw the "romance" tag when they mean "harem" or any story that contains a little romance. If I were writing a josei romance story, I think I would have trouble deciding which of the two tags to pick.

In short, it may be a good idea to do a careful review of which genres to have.

Another possible suggestion is to have this split into four different categories:
  • Age Demographic: [All-ages] [Teen] [Adult] [R-18+/Explicit]
  • Reader Demographic: [General / Male] [Female] [LGBT]
  • Fiction Type: [Poetry] [Short Story] [Fanfiction] [Original Novel] [Web Serial]
  • Main Genre: [General] [Comedy] [Sci-fi] [Fantasy] [Romance] [Mystery] ... picking broad genres are best

^ All of this can be varied around, but if you collected this kind information, it should be sufficient to help you make good recommendations.

It also eliminates some of the confounding from genre categories vs. demographic categories in the current list.
Honestly is mecha even really a genre in English Originals?

While dungeon-core should honestly be in it's own genre as well with how much it's exploded and become popular.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
I wasnt sure which one fit best for mine so i just went with mature. It seemed the most broadly fitting, for now at least.

snake

I wasnt sure which one fit best for mine so i just went with mature. It seemed the most broadly fitting, for now at least.

main genre (MG) is what 'defines' your story. whether its an action story with mature/adult setting, or action story targeted to young audience.

genres can act as a main or a sub.

for example (underlines are main)
Action
--horror
--romance

Romance
--action
--horror

Horror
--action
--romance

basically, MG is what you'd tell people what your story is.
BL/GL, Shounen/ Shoujo/Mature while they are also defines the genre of the story, they are not too suitable as 'main', if i understand correctly what @Tony 's trying to do.