Writing Backing up your writing -- Using Google Drive to Sync Cloud Data ( Do not click this thread if you do not believe in fires)

jabathehut

Resident Troll
IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE FIRES ARE REAL DO NOT BOTHER TO CONTINUE READING

Have you ever accidentally a draft? I know people who have. 30000 words, gone in a flash, unless ofc youre writing to an SSD without trim or an HDD and are familiar with recovery tools. If you are though, you probably don't need this guide.

Do you want to not accidentally your drafts anymore? Worry no further, I will now show you my personal processes for data redundancy and storage using google drives free cloud sync of up to 15 GB(more than enough for all the writing you will ever do). Due to google drive syncing an entire folder on windows, you can use this with any word processing software. You will need a google email though, I suggest creating a dedicated email exclusively for your writing uses with a name and password unrelated to your other accounts.

Personally, I use a paid version of Scrivener to draft. The features I love most in it are its organization abilities and its clean, sexy PDF and EPUB export features. Ofc, I don't recommend buying anything without trying it out first. Not everything will be for you.

Here's what you'll need to do to download google sync services:

Head to this website: https://www.google.com/intl/en/drive/download/

Over on the left, you should see an option for backup and sync for individuals. Very cool. Click download!
From there, click download, install, next, etc, about seven times.

Now we want to configure google drives preferences.

If you already have google drive installed, follow these steps:
1. Click the down arrow on your windows taskbar ((sorry mac users)(Yes my task bar is on the top of my screen. What are you going to do about it?))
2. Click the google backup and sync icon in your panel
3. Click the three dots in the top right corner of the menu that pops up. A context menu will appear. Click preferences.

1610076515990.png

From here we're going to
1. Click choose folder
2. Click on the folder we want to choose. You can take your time to navigate to it inside of your pc.
3. Click select folder
1610076812358.png

This is advantageous for a bunch of reasons. If you don't use google docs as a word processor (which does, btw, have an offline mode) this will let you backup and sync your google docs across multiple devices. For example, I like to go camping, and write on my laptop under some bitching trees, enjoying the smell of natural air, my eyes burning from exposure to allergies. Really enhances the general experience.

This also works for scrivener projects, although for your first load you will have to open the project manually, and one scrivener license is only good for 2 pcs.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
This is a dumb shit thread.
Theoretically you are right. but also:

OFF SITE BACKUPS.
lol

D

Deleted member 29316

I mainly write my manuscripts on MS Word. I do my saves in my partition drive, Google Drive, and flash drives, just to make sure.

That includes the 'Print'-sized pics as well.

Once I got my manuscript done, I also create print outs; not only it is for additional back up, it can also serve in my edits and rewrites.

jabathehut

Resident Troll
This is a dumb shit thread.
Theoretically you are right. but also:

OFF SITE BACKUPS.
lol
A cloud back up with a remote service is an off site backup. Additionally, you can use the cloud synchronization to automatically back up to a remote pc if you have access to one or rent a service.

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
I just occassionaly search .txt in computer and copy paste everything in a folder make rar file and upload it to google drive

jabathehut

Resident Troll
Jokes on you, I already write on GDOcs. :s_smile:
gdocs is great. I used to use it as a word processor. I miss the ability to export in dark mode.
I just occassionaly search .txt in computer and copy paste everything in a folder make rar file and upload it to google drive
This is great except for the one time you forget.

Tabula_Rasa

Professional NPC
Btw... @DarkGodEM
the first novel in your signature has no link, and the other 3 just links to the wrong novels....
[RE-born necro] and [The Darkest hour] both links to [My Dream life is all but a dream],
and [My Dream life is all but a dream] is linked to [The darkest hour]...

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
Just make a .bat file which activates whenever you open PC to automate the task.
Someone would have definitely made it by now

jabathehut

Resident Troll
Just make a .bat file which activates whenever you open PC to automate the task.
that is great advice. hello average PC user, write a script to automate the upload task instead of using one of the software tools that do it for you.
i trust everyone here can write and schedule scripts, right?
this input will be valid after you write a step by step guide. otherwise, why the fuck would you reply with this to a guide thread? Its rude and idiotic.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
that is great advice. hello average PC user, write a script to automate the upload task instead of using one of the software tools that do it for you.
i trust everyone here can write and schedule scripts, right?
this input will be valid after you write a step by step guide. otherwise, why the fuck would you reply with this to a guide thread? Its rude and idiotic.
rude and idiotic? I'm confused. Are you speaking of him or yourself? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tessa_Renalds

Neighborhood DM
So... I wish google docs existed back in my university days.... Could have saved me that letter grade (D) on my report.
Story time!
I didn’t have a laptop when I was a young university student, so I went to the library most of the time to write my reports and essays. I had been in the library from 4 AM typing my 5-7 page essay due that day around 1pm... because you know, procrastination. The only program they had on the computers were Microsoft Word (2007). I had my flash drive with me to save my homework on so that I could save my data.
little did I know the universe would punish my lazy ass for waiting that long and unleashed a rat into the electrical power to the entire University chewed through a set of wires, died in the process, and blew power out to the entire campus at 11am. AFTER I finished writing my report.
Remember that flash drive? ... yeah, I was mid save when the power went out. I lost that essay I had wrote and cried in front of the monitor for two solid minutes.
Sad thing was; I wasn’t the only one crying in front of their monitor.

I am a firm believer in saving constantly now because of that moment. When google docs became a thing later on, I was incredibly happy.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I send drafts to my husband, and that's my backup. Also, I offer early, unfinalized releases on Patreon, though I don't have any patrons, so nobody reads those. It's another backup just in case.

jabathehut

Resident Troll
So... I wish google docs existed back in my university days.... Could have saved me that letter grade (D) on my report.
Story time!
I didn’t have a laptop when I was a young university student, so I went to the library most of the time to write my reports and essays. I had been in the library from 4 AM typing my 5-7 page essay due that day around 1pm... because you know, procrastination. The only program they had on the computers were Microsoft Word (2007). I had my flash drive with me to save my homework on so that I could save my data.
little did I know the universe would punish my lazy ass for waiting that long and unleashed a rat into the electrical power to the entire University chewed through a set of wires, died in the process, and blew power out to the entire campus at 11am. AFTER I finished writing my report.
Remember that flash drive? ... yeah, I was mid save when the power went out. I lost that essay I had wrote and cried in front of the monitor for two solid minutes.
Sad thing was; I wasn’t the only one crying in front of their monitor.

I am a firm believer in saving constantly now because of that moment. When google docs became a thing later on, I was incredibly happy.
testimonials

I send drafts to my husband, and that's my backup. Also, I offer early, unfinalized releases on Patreon, though I don't have any patrons, so nobody reads those. It's another backup just in case.
good practice

D

Deleted member 25179

two ppl complained to me it would fire a xxx.dll not found and crash on new doc today xD Had the same issue.

I'm moving out of it rn
What build were you on at the time of the issue?