Ban links to webnovels.

Aaky

Promotion materials* that link back to webnovels shouldn't be allowed. Webnovels doesn't allow you to reditect your readers to any other platform, so I don't see why SH should allow links that direct readers to Webnovels. Allowing readers to be redirected to Webnovels is practically endorsing their bad, anti-consumer, anti-writer business practices.

*Promotion Material: an incomplete novel posted in SH that forces readers to go read to Webnovels to continue reading. Might even be under a paywall within Webnovels itself.

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
It seems like that doesn't cross the line yet.

My guess is that story needed spirit stones to be viewed. It's the author's choice to do that anyways, if they lost readers due to it, then they lose. If the readers loves the story that he pays spirit stones or visit webnovel, then they retain a reader.

I'm just gonna drop a personal opinion.
Now i'm not supporting or condemning webnovel but if we block the site, it means that we are biased and other sites which we don't approve can be blocked as well...

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Lol? No! xD

Tony doesn't need to care if the site doesn't allow them to link back here, there is no point in that.

People can link to scribblehub's competitors all they want, there is no reason to stop that. People will link to RR and to Webnovel and Wattpad if they want to. Why should Tony try to stop that? It makes no sense.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
i agree with the OP, if they wanted to put their novel link from another platform (like patreon or your own private blog), then put it on the summary/novel title home page.

putting an incomplete chapter at SH but full chapter at other webnovel sites is just unethical IMHO.

Aaky

Lol? No! xD

Tony doesn't need to care if the site doesn't allow them to link back here, there is no point in that.

People can link to scribblehub's competitors all they want, there is no reason to stop that. People will link to RR and to Webnovel and Wattpad if they want to. Why should Tony try to stop that? It makes no sense.

I am familiar with RR, Wattpad and other websites. I specifically said Webnovel for a reason. You say there is no reason, but I provided one in the OP. If you disagree with it, that is fine, but please refrain from pushing a straw-man fallacy. Your response has nothing to do with what I said and we are even to an extent in agreement.
It seems like that doesn't cross the line yet.

My guess is that story needed spirit stones to be viewed. It's the author's choice to do that anyways, if they lost readers due to it, then they lose. If the readers loves the story that he pays spirit stones or visit webnovel, then they retain a reader.

I'm just gonna drop a personal opinion.
Now i'm not supporting or condemning webnovel but if we block the site, it means that we are biased and other sites which we don't approve can be blocked as well...

I can see where you are coming from and I do understand your concerns. But other competitors allow readers to be redirected to SH, something that Webnovel does not allow. As such, is not a fair comparison. If your concern is that Tony will suddenly ban all competitors, then rest assured that if he wanted to do such a thing, he likely would've done it a long time ago.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor

Promotion materials* that link back to webnovels shouldn't be allowed. Webnovels doesn't allow you to reditect your readers to any other platform, so I don't see why SH should allow links that direct readers to Webnovels. Allowing readers to be redirected to Webnovels is practically endorsing their bad, anti-consumer, anti-writer business practices.

*Promotion Material: an incomplete novel posted in SH that forces readers to go read to Webnovels to continue reading. Might even be under a paywall within Webnovels itself.
This is just biased.
This question here falls under the same as Patreon Links.
What is against the rules is the missing chapters

D

Deleted member 45782

...I think as horrible as WebNovel sounds from reading what everyone has to say, banning one site means a bunch of other sites people don't like can be banned....and then how many sites will SH ban from because it redirects readers to other sites? Would other writing platforms besides WebNovel in return start to ban us, if writers redirect them to SH then? It sounds like it can get quite messy and start the ban game.

Aaky

...I think as horrible as WebNovel sounds from reading what everyone has to say, banning one site means a bunch of other sites people don't like can be banned....and then how many sites will SH ban from because it redirects readers to other sites? Would other writing platforms besides WebNovel in return start to ban us, if writers redirect them to SH then? It sounds like it can get quite messy and start the ban game.
WebNovel already bans all other platforms. You can't link to Scribblehub from there, as stated in the original post.

Wattpad and Royal Road and Amazon do not ban links to Scribble Hub.

D

Deleted member 45782

WebNovel already bans all other platforms. You can't link to Scribblehub from there, as stated in the original post.

Wattpad and Royal Road and Amazon do not ban links to Scribble Hub.
Yes, but by choosing to ban one site can open up a list of potentially being able to ban many other sites...
That may or may not create a problem down the road...

PunishedKom

That is stupid. Them refusing to allow you to link anywhere else is not a fucking direct attack on scribblehub and does not need to be responded to. And I say that as someone who very vocally has voiced my displeasure about this exact policy of theres.

Aaky

That is stupid. Them refusing to allow you to link anywhere else is not a fucking direct attack on scribblehub and does not need to be responded to. And I say that as someone who very vocally has voiced my displeasure about this exact policy of theres.
And I never said that it was. Read the original post.

Yes, but by choosing to ban one site can open up a list of potentially being able to ban many other sites...
That may or may not create a problem down the road...
I can see where you are coming from and I do understand your concerns. But the purpose of this post is not to ban other sites, but to wage the community's support to banning a specific site. No change will inherently happen as the result of this topic, but a conversation/discussion might emerge from it.

AliceShiki

I am familiar with RR, Wattpad and other websites. I specifically said Webnovel for a reason. You say there is no reason, but I provided one in the OP. If you disagree with it, that is fine, but please refrain from pushing a straw-man fallacy. Your response has nothing to do with what I said and we are even to an extent in agreement.
Your "reason" is just your own pettiness saying that we shouldn't be allowed to link to a site because they don't allow their users to link here.

That has absolutely nothing to do with scribblehub, what they do in their own turf is their own problem.

The only relationship between scribblehub and webnovel is that they're competitors on the same field. Trying to make an argument against them on any other grounds is just silly.

I mean, what's next? Ban RR because they don't have genres for LGBT+ related stories? That's the level of silliness behind your argument. It's ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 20302

As stated above, just because we don't like a particular site, we can just happily banned it.

However, if that story has an incomplete chapter, that is against the guidelines.

You can report any story you come across that does this, if that one above falls into it.

For more information, read the section under "Preview Chapter" of the content guidelines:
Link

Aaky

Your "reason" is just your own pettiness saying that we shouldn't be allowed to link to a site because they don't allow their users to link here.

That has absolutely nothing to do with scribblehub, what they do in their own turf is their own problem.

The only relationship between scribblehub and webnovel is that they're competitors on the same field. Trying to make an argument against them on any other grounds is just silly.

I mean, what's next? Ban RR because they don't have genres for LGBT+ related stories? That's the level of silliness behind your argument. It's ridiculous.

You keep flaunting the same fallacies over and over again. I don't understand how you want the conversation to go, when you pretty much attack my character and then go into ridiculous tangents. I already stated that is completely fine to disagree with me, but why do you have to call me petty? who said SH and WN are not competitors?

Then again, this toxic behavior is nothing new in this forum. You are literally so toxic that I could make a topic about my concerns with trending [While I am trending #1] and you'll still find a way to attack my character one way or another. Well, more like it actually happened.

:blob_shade: But then again, your account is from 2018. I bet that if I were to respond to people the way you respond to me, I would be in hot water.

AliceShiki

You keep flaunting the same fallacies over and over again. I don't understand how you want the conversation to go, when you pretty much attack my character and then go into ridiculous tangents. I already stated that is completely fine to disagree with me, but why do you have to call me petty? who said SH and WN are not competitors?
Because you didn't provide a single remotely sensible reason to why scribblehub should ban links to Webnovel? You make a petty thread whining about how Webnovel users can't link to scribblehub, so we should get back at them by stopping this site's users from linking to them... And then you expect me to take you seriously? Like... Hello? In what world does this make sense?

I gave a similarly crazy and nonsensical example of a site ban to try showing how absurd your suggestion is, but apparently you are just writing it off as a fallacy instead of trying to understand why I gave such a ridiculous counterproposal... Because it is just as ridiculous as yours, that is why.
Then again, this toxic behavior is nothing new in this forum. You are literally so toxic that I could make a topic about my concerns with trending [While I am trending #1] and you'll still find a way to attack my character one way or another. Well, more like it actually happened.
You call my behavior toxic when you make a toxic thread about trending that whines about how other people are getting into trending by doing perfectly reasonable things? I don't see how that makes any sense.
:blob_shade: But then again, your account is from 2018. I bet that if I were to respond to people the way you respond to me, I would be in hot water.
Sorry if I've been using this site long enough to understand what is reasonable and what is a crazy absurd suggestion I guess?

Acc age has nothing to do with it. You're just making an unreasonable suggestion with 0% chance of getting approved. And I'm telling you why, because your suggestion is absolutely absurd and has absolutely no reason to ever be approved whatsoever.

The only reason Tony would ever ban Webnovel was if he wanted to ban his competitors, because that's the only thing that they do that affect scribblehub, they offer competition... Everything else doesn't matter, and as such will obviously not matter to Tony.

I mean, geez, if he wanted to ban Webnovel, it would have been banned in NU back when the site was first released. Webnovel has 100x more haters in NUF than they have in SHF... And links to NU are also not allowed in Webnovel, and yet NU links to a ton of novels within Webnovel without a care in the world... Expecting Scribblehub to ban it after it has been kept around for this long is just plain silly.

PunishedKom

Better question why would this affect you in the slightest OP, this does not inconvenience you or improve the site in any way shape or form so why die on this specific hill

D

Deleted member 45782

Aaky, your response to AliceShiki:
You are literally so toxic that I could make a topic about my concerns with trending [While I am trending #1] and you'll still find a way to attack my character one way or another.
Just wanted to point this out, AliceShiki doesn't look like they're being toxic here. I have seen toxic people commenting on certain groups of people since last year til now and I have seen some of those toxicity on forums too. I have also seen Wattpad readers threatening and swearing at authors horribly when they decided to become part of Wattpad Paid stories.

While I don't agree with everything AliceShiki's may say, the posts I've seen them comment on so far don't seem toxic at all, or at least what I know of. Its not labeling a whole group as such and such. Their points here are pretty valid, Aaky. Then again, I don't go out of my way to read through every single posts by others on here all the time.

I prefer to ignore and avoid toxicity where I can, cause it just drains you at the end of the day. But AliceShiki did gave valid points but you didn't accept it. And that's when both of you begin to get down at each other. But if you compare with those examples above, I think they are kinda far cry from actual horrid toxcity.

I can see where you are coming from and I do understand your concerns. But the purpose of this post is not to ban other sites, but to wage the community's support to banning a specific site. No change will inherently happen as the result of this topic, but a conversation/discussion might emerge from it.
The point is, you want WebNovel banned. As much a lot of people may hate WebNovel, but there's still some that still use it. That is up to the authors who post links to WebNovel themselves on their series.

I have seen people on Wattpad only post a few chapters into a story and then tell you to go read it on Radish or buy the story. Yet Wattpad, depite that, doesn't ban it (idk if that has changed).

Inkitt from what I heard, gives horrible deals to authors who wish to see their stories published in print with them. Since Inkitt has some controversies treating their authors as such, should we ban them too?

It kinda feels like you are deflecting other peoples arguments with the same reason over and over again that WebNovel bans all others' competitors sites, so we should ban them too.

However, like others have pointed out, this opens up a can of worms. Because after WebNovel there's probably gonna be other sites that also do something that is horrible too (and pretty sure those already exist, on some varying levels).

You can ask others to not use WebNovel - that is based on personal preference and I can see why people wouldn't want to link WebNovel. But forcing ScribbleHub to ban it? It shouldn't be a competitor's responsibility to ban a horrid competitor site, rather that site needs to get fixed by something else that has higher grounds of forcing them to change and make it a better place for their authors. Again, not ScribbleHub's responsibility to ban another reading platform. That is something outside of ScribbleHub.

Last edited by a moderator:

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
The point is, you want WebNovel banned. As much a lot of people may hate WebNovel, but there's still some that still use it. That is up to the authors who post links to WebNovel themselves on their series.

I have seen people on Wattpad only post a few chapters into a story and then tell you to go read it on Radish or buy the story. Yet Wattpad, depite that, doesn't ban it (idk if that has changed).

Inkitt from what I heard, gives horrible deals to authors who wish to see their stories published in print with them. Since Inkitt has some controversies treating their authors as such, should we ban them too?

It kinda feels like you are deflecting other peoples arguments with the same reason over and over again that WebNovel bans all others' competitors sites, so we should ban them too.

However, like others have pointed out, this opens up a can of worms. Because after WebNovel there's probably gonna be other sites that also do something that is horrible too (and pretty sure those already exist, on some varying levels).

You can ask others to not use WebNovel - that is based on personal preference and I can see why people wouldn't want to link WebNovel. But forcing ScribbleHub to ban it? It shouldn't be a competitor's responsibility to ban a horrid competitor site, rather that site needs to get fixed by something else that has higher grounds of forcing them to change and make it a better place for their authors. Again, not ScribbleHub's responsibility to ban another reading platform. That is something outside of ScribbleHub.
+1
This sums up everything I was about to say in detail...